Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
akks350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Z33
I don't think so. The runners are designed differently if I'm not mistaken. Also the bracket mounts to the front timming cover not the plenum. Stillen is making a supercharger kit for the HR motor using a vortech blower. Why not use that option?
thanks for info ill let him know
Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so here's the graphs from my tuner.. any advice guys?

Last edited by Erdem; 08-14-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
jccalzada

Originally Posted by Synjn
Looks like belt slip my friend...Keep us posted.
We will check the BPV again today and the belt today, hopefully I can make another run at night so I can post the graph...

thanks for all the help by the way....
Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
jccalzada

Also, what's the best belt you guys recommend? Any in particular?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Erdem
Binder. can I get my tuner to call you today maybe?
lol, you should have sent me a PM so i would have gotten an email notice. jeffbinder@gmail.com email me and i'll send you my number. i have an early day tomorrow so i should be free mid day.

so here's the graphs from my tuner.. any advice guys?
ok, looking at that graph. You hit .45 bar at redline with the 3.33 which is 6.7 psi. That's normal psi for that pulley. Also, look at that graph, that is the PERFECT graph of the pressure build. That is a properly working supercharger with a 3.33" pulley.

now, the 3.12 pulley pull that your tuner labled "no slip" is incorrect. that IS belt slip. See how at the top it levels off? Leveling off is slip. The ones he has labled "slip" are SEVERE slip and not normal. I've never had slip that bad. My slip is usually only at high rpm and near the top of the pressure.

Basically if your car puts down a perfect 3.33 pulley graph then there is nothing wrong with your blower. Now, the only other thing i could think that it would be is an incorrect BPV spring causing it to leak off pressure when it shouldn't. After looking over the graph that is highly unlikely because a weak spring will bleed off pressure down low until it just can't hold at all. So that means the 3.12 graph wouldn't be higher than the 3.33 graph in the lower rpm ranges like it is. It shows a steady build until BAM it stops building pressure and the pressure actually starts to decline in higher rpms. That is what belt slip does. The belt starts slipping then the more rpms you run the more it slips therefore your pressure will actually DROP at higher rpms.

i'm not sure what "noises" you heard when you tightened the belt. I think it's a mental thing because i have mine cranked crazy tight and there was no change in noise. If you had a bearing going out it would make noise even if the belts were loose.

Originally Posted by jccalzada
Also, what's the best belt you guys recommend? Any in particular?
gates belt works great. You can get them at napa.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Erdem

Originally Posted by binder
lol, you should have sent me a PM so i would have gotten an email notice. jeffbinder@gmail.com email me and i'll send you my number. i have an early day tomorrow so i should be free mid day.

ok, looking at that graph. You hit .45 bar at redline with the 3.33 which is 6.7 psi. That's normal psi for that pulley. Also, look at that graph, that is the PERFECT graph of the pressure build. That is a properly working supercharger with a 3.33" pulley.

now, the 3.12 pulley pull that your tuner labled "no slip" is incorrect. that IS belt slip. See how at the top it levels off? Leveling off is slip. The ones he has labled "slip" are SEVERE slip and not normal. I've never had slip that bad. My slip is usually only at high rpm and near the top of the pressure.

Basically if your car puts down a perfect 3.33 pulley graph then there is nothing wrong with your blower. Now, the only other thing i could think that it would be is an incorrect BPV spring causing it to leak off pressure when it shouldn't. After looking over the graph that is highly unlikely because a weak spring will bleed off pressure down low until it just can't hold at all. So that means the 3.12 graph wouldn't be higher than the 3.33 graph in the lower rpm ranges like it is. It shows a steady build until BAM it stops building pressure and the pressure actually starts to decline in higher rpms. That is what belt slip does. The belt starts slipping then the more rpms you run the more it slips therefore your pressure will actually DROP at higher rpms.

i'm not sure what "noises" you heard when you tightened the belt. I think it's a mental thing because i have mine cranked crazy tight and there was no change in noise. If you had a bearing going out it would make noise even if the belts were loose.

gates belt works great. You can get them at napa.

Hi binder.

i am the one working on the car.

With 3.12 the belt is tigtent sow mutch the tensioners can not tighten more and has glue on the belt so it really is stiky. so I'm sure it does not slip 100% as you can see is that the same line on top of each other with 3.12 and snap off the same place every time. if it was slip it would not do this.

/Michael-Fast4ward.dk
Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 AM
binder

Hi binder.

i am the one working on the car.

With 3.12 the belt is tigtent sow mutch the tensioners can not tighten more and has glue on the belt so it really is stiky. so I'm sure it does not slip 100% as you can see is that the same line on top of each other with 3.12 and snap off the same place every time. if it was slip it would not do this.

/Michael-Fast4ward.dk
first, glue is not needed to make this system work. i've never heard of a person nor do i personally use glue for any of that. get rid of it. I'm pulling upper 14psi out of my vortech system with zero slip.

second, if you can't tighten the pulley anymore then you have probably run out of tensioner and that's why the belt isn't tight. Sometimes the stock belt for a 3.33 will be too loose for the 3.12 which means you tighten all the way down and it won't tighten anymore. That's not the belt doing that, it's the end of the tensioner.

If it's a "revised" belt setup from vortech then an 80 1/8" belt is needed. It will fit hte 3.12 along with the 2.87 pulley just fine. The stock belt is a little loose for the 3.12. Gates belts purchased from napa are probably the best. Goodyear gatorback being second.

since your tensioner is probably bottomed, switch your belt to a smaller belt and try again. also, clean all the pulleys with a good cleaner and don't put any of whatever that glue stuff on the belts ever again. It is not needed.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
binder

as you can see is that the same line on top of each other with 3.12 and snap off the same place every time. if it was slip it would not do this.

/Michael-Fast4ward.dk
actually there are 2 runs there for the 3.12 pulley. If you look closely it appears 1 of them actually flattens off in boost just slightly before the other and it is just slightly lower. My educated guess is that the one that didn't produce as much pressure and slipped sooner is the first run then the second run with that belt would be higher psi slightly due to the heating of the belt and increased diameter of hot pulleys causing more tension on the belt.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
jccalzada

Well, Erdem and I seem to have a similar problem.... We checked the BPV yesterday, its working perfectly, we even adjust the the BVP so that only 5 threads would show (just to make a test) We did adjust the belt a bit, its really tight right now, crazy tight...somehow the car feels faster and more aggressive but the highest psi we could get was 5-5.5 max....still it seems to low for a 3.12 pulley...
I think I officially run out of options, i'll record a run later on today so you guys can see it ....

Binder, I have a gates belt and gatorback, both hit the same level of boost...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
binder

Originally Posted by jccalzada
Well, Erdem and I seem to have a similar problem.... We checked the BPV yesterday, its working perfectly, we even adjust the the BVP so that only 5 threads would show (just to make a test) We did adjust the belt a bit, its really tight right now, crazy tight...somehow the car feels faster and more aggressive but the highest psi we could get was 5-5.5 max....still it seems to low for a 3.12 pulley...
I think I officially run out of options, i'll record a run later on today so you guys can see it ....

Binder, I have a gates belt and gatorback, both hit the same level of boost...
to truely test the bpv you have to shut it all the way. basically just turning it in is tightening a spring. If the spring is the wrong spring from vortech then it will bleed off at whatever psi it is supposed to no matter how tight that spring UNLESS you tighten it all the way closed. u might have the wrong spring which gives out around 6psi.

turn that screw in even further. turn it in a lot and see what that does. if you see the pressure raise as you keep turning it in that means teh spring is incorrect and they send the wrong bpv
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Erdem

^ït has nothing to do with the bpv.(in my case) I've tried holding my hand close to it while dynoing the car.. when the car gets WOT it's just closed..
I think we need new belts with the proper length, and the proper setup for that size belt.
so that will be me next step actually... ´
how long do u guys think it would take my tuner to get it tuned on a UTEC?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
binder

^ït has nothing to do with the bpv.(in my case) I've tried holding my hand close to it while dynoing the car.. when the car gets WOT it's just closed..
I think we need new belts with the proper length, and the proper setup for that size belt.
so that will be me next step actually... ´
how long do u guys think it would take my tuner to get it tuned on a UTEC?
you're holding your hand on the bpv all the way to redline? i think it would be really hard to notice just a little bit of leak through the bpv with all that is going on during a full rpm pull. it's not going to be tons of air coming out, just has to be a leak. that being said, i dont think it's your problem either.

utec, depending on how good he is, 4 hours give or take for a full tune. max would be a full day.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by akks350z
does anyone one know if the 05 06 hr single tb plenum will bolt up to 07 08 hr dual tb plenum? i guess if that can be done then a rev up vortech will work on the 08 hr motor...right?

but you will need to run both TBs on that one side. or find a way to slice them, but becareful I think they work on voltage and resistance, splicing could result in ultimate failure.

Also not sure of the cam covers for the HR motor. I dont know anyone with a HR because I drive a G so I am not around the Z guys too much...enough to pop the engine.

I know my Vortech will not line up to my Pathfinder which is a VQ block with a factory stroke to 4.0 liters. The cam covers look to that of the 2003 generation but the oil pan is more HR. Confused
Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM
05Z33

I pulled out my blower today and I'm shipping it out to 928 Motorsports on Monday for a full rebuild and 928 V+ impeller upgrade. Finally we will have our first look at what this impeller can do. I will be getting it dyno tuned as soon as I reinstall it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:16 PM
binder

I pulled out my blower today and I'm shipping it out to 928 Motorsports on Monday for a full rebuild and 928 V+ impeller upgrade. Finally we will have our first look at what this impeller can do. I will be getting it dyno tuned as soon as I reinstall it.
did you have your car dynoed as it sits right now so you have a good comparison?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM
05Z33

did you have your car dynoed as it sits right now so you have a good comparison?
Last dyno was a year ago when it was tuned. It made 350whp on a mustang Dyno right when my cog belt broke. The initial run was 320whp before the tune. One week earlier I made 400whp on a dynojet. This was on a 2.87 pulley. I'll post my new numbers when it's done for comparison.

Also I need to clean my pipes due to oil spray from the shot bearings. Anyone have any recomendations as to what I should use to clean them? Gas, degreaser, or soapy water (Dawn)?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
lil_will

I thought about going this route when I did my rebuild. I will be anxiously awaiting your results!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
binder

Last dyno was a year ago when it was tuned. It made 350whp on a mustang Dyno right when my cog belt broke. The initial run was 320whp before the tune. One week earlier I made 400whp on a dynojet. This was on a 2.87 pulley. I'll post my new numbers when it's done for comparison.

Also I need to clean my pipes due to oil spray from the shot bearings. Anyone have any recomendations as to what I should use to clean them? Gas, degreaser, or soapy water (Dawn)?
so the tuned numbers were 400?

if you could get the dyno sheets and put them up with the new dyno sheets that would be nice to see so we can tell how much different the boost will bve across the board and not just a peak number. The 928 claims to put down more boost at lower rpms too so it should raise the power across the entire band.

cleaning them, i just use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Cleans them pretty fast and it dries fast. Let them air out a few minutes before putting them back together.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 AM
05Z33

so the tuned numbers were 400?

if you could get the dyno sheets and put them up with the new dyno sheets that would be nice to see so we can tell how much different the boost will bve across the board and not just a peak number. The 928 claims to put down more boost at lower rpms too so it should raise the power across the entire band.

cleaning them, i just use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Cleans them pretty fast and it dries fast. Let them air out a few minutes before putting them back together.
No the 400whp was done one week before the tune on a dynojet. Tune was done on a Mustang Dyno. first run was 320whp, then 350whp after tune. I know the Mustangs read lower numbers than DJ. Even I was surprised at how much lower it was. I will take it back to the DJ after the tune to get an overlay of the old numbers and the new.

Both dyno runs were done on a 2.87 pulley tuned for the 3.12. Thats why I went to the tuner. I gained 30whp going to the 2.87 witha tune.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 AM
binder

cool, i'll be excited to see what this does for the power and hopefully a good raise in torque. Thats the only downfall of this supercharger, i hate my low torque.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions