Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: the right EMS
HKS
89.71%
Greddy Ultimate
10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

the right EMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im def interested i was leaning towards the AEM but its not as proven as i would like it to be so my only other option right now is the HKS. but like others have stated finding a certified tuner in my area is kind of hard.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have something that does cam control, and requires no special license. The car runs like stock with it. No hiccup like the utec. No losing the tune like the utec on its MAF tables. Hm what else, it uses the MAF sensor so no map sensor/maf transitioning crap. I cant tell you what it is though or i would have to kill you.
The fcon is a joke for people like me. I probably like 4 days from the nearest dealer. What if i want to track my car and data log and make changes? Do i pay a tuner to come to the track with me and tune it. fck that. BTW the Fcon is not a full stand alone. The stock ecu still gets reflashed for its target a/f ratio. I bet the fcon dealers usually forget to mention that.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by paranormal
well im def interested i was leaning towards the AEM but its not as proven as i would like it to be so my only other option right now is the HKS. but like others have stated finding a certified tuner in my area is kind of hard.

u mean not proven on the Z right?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
u mean not proven on the Z right?
Right i know its good on supras and ****.. thats one of the main reasons i initailly wanted it cause my friend tunes his own 9 sec supra with it. and a few others in my area..
Old 07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
TENGAI

+1. On Supras, the AEM is almost the standard. On our cars, it's still up in the air...

For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards the Autronic, but the Haltech has my attention too. It's definitely between the two...

Sharif - didn't know your prices for the complete F-Con setup were at the $3400 mark. Not bad at all considering you include the knock amp. I don't suppose that's the installed price... LOL . Just kiddin
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocks
BTW the Fcon is not a full stand alone. The stock ecu still gets reflashed for its target a/f ratio. I bet the fcon dealers usually forget to mention that.
Rocks, this is incorrect. The FCON controls fuel and timing 100%, from start up to redline. The reflashing you are refering to, is the GTM spec reflash that helps rid the user of the AF feedback check engine lights, but doesn't change the behavior of the engine.

Just wanted to make sure we post accurate information on this thread.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Rocks, also not fair to tease the rest of us with what you've got when we can't get it anyway... if you've got an ETA at least, then maybe ok, else doesn't really help...

Sharif, as a pro dealer, w/ the FCON, can you make "remote" changes to a car based on logs that are sent to you? Or perhaps with a laptop hooked to the car - can you "remote desktop" in and actually make modifications?

Last edited by rcdash; 07-07-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by rcdash
Rocks, also not fair to tease the rest of us with what you've got when we can't get it anyway... if you've got an ETA at least, then maybe ok, else doesn't really help...

Sharif, as a pro dealer, w/ the FCON, can you make "remote" changes to a car based on logs that are sent to you? Or perhaps with a laptop hooked to the car - can you "remote desktop" in and actually make modifications?
I don't see why not I get my computers fixed via remote techs all the time (like in India).
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 AM
failsafe306

No, you still need the key I believe.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Unfortuantely, this cannot be done. The USB encription has to be inserted into the laptop that you are tuning with, and that same laptop needs to be connected to the FCON.

The FCON cars seriously never needs to be retuned. We tune them through all the boost levels, from wastegate up to max, and then we can do submaps for race fuel, meth, or whatever. Unless major modifications are made to the car, the tune should be spot on at all times. This is very different from most EMS's, where a good week of fiddling is needed to get the car starting when cold, starting when hot, running well at high and low altitude..etc..etc. There is a reason many of the AEM guys drive around with their laptop in their cars.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
..etc. There is a reason many of the AEM guys drive around with their laptop in their cars.
I have seen this scenario you speak of..
Old 07-07-2007, 05:57 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

question guys.. i read some stuff about the navigator being able to adjust some things? can someone elaborate more on that? does it give the end user some minor adjust ments for fuel or timing?

would adding a higher flowing plenum cause for a retune? that would be the only thing that i would upgrade down the road..
Old 07-07-2007, 11:20 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by paranormal
question guys.. i read some stuff about the navigator being able to adjust some things? can someone elaborate more on that? does it give the end user some minor adjust ments for fuel or timing?

would adding a higher flowing plenum cause for a retune? that would be the only thing that i would upgrade down the road..
I believe it only allows switching maps
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive around with a laptop in my car, just to datalog and continue testing the ems i have. I live at 3800 ft elevation. Recently I drove from 3800ft too 1200ft. The car did not lose its tune. I tuned it in 65 degree weather. I re checked it at 70% humidity and 100 degrees out. The tune was exactly the same. It was running a little less timing but the a/f ratio stayed right at 12.8, after 3 months! My next round of testing will be a very large MAF sensor housing, 3.5" should be good to meter over 20psi.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports

hahha makes you looks more fast and furious though... =]

i am still eager to see the results u doing on the aem for a change on a whp car =]
Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 AM
IIQuickSilverII

The FCON ....Unless major modifications are made to the car, the tune should be spot on at all times.

what would you consider major modifications.....
maybe adding a new plenum(like cosworth, vrts( LMFAO JOKING), mrev+ spacer, aps) or... something like that?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
maybe adding a new plenum(like cosworth, vrts( LMFAO JOKING), mrev+ spacer, aps) or... something like that?
Anything that significantly alters the flow of air or fuel to the engine
Old 07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortuantely, this cannot be done. The USB encription has to be inserted into the laptop that you are tuning with, and that same laptop needs to be connected to the FCON.

The FCON cars seriously never needs to be retuned. We tune them through all the boost levels, from wastegate up to max, and then we can do submaps for race fuel, meth, or whatever. Unless major modifications are made to the car, the tune should be spot on at all times. This is very different from most EMS's, where a good week of fiddling is needed to get the car starting when cold, starting when hot, running well at high and low altitude..etc..etc. There is a reason many of the AEM guys drive around with their laptop in their cars.
Hmmm... by usb encryption it sounds like there's an encrypted file that needs to be accessed. I believe you'd still be able to do it by mapping the USB drive from the remote laptop to the local laptop sitting in the car. The FCON software should treat it as just another local drive if it doesn't bypass the windows device layer.

Anyway, like you say, probably not really worth the trouble with all the other sophisticated features of the FCON.

Does the FCON have map switching like the UTEC (like with a valet mode)? Never heard of anyone switching maps w/ it... (low boost, hi boost, valet)
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The navigator allows for map switching, and data monitoring, with warning capability.
The FCON AF feedback mechanism is very complex, and allows for several different methods of adjusting AF trims on the fly. Before the car leaves our shop, we allow for some minor changes to fuel trims in real-time, via AF feedback, so something like a plenum spacer, upgraded plenum, etc, could easily be installed without a retune. The FCON will make trim adjustments on the fly, and there are safeguards in place to prevent massive changes to the fuel trims, in the event that the wideband 02 sensor malfunctions, or goes bad.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
My buddy's Eclipse. 'Nuff said.

Quick Reply: the right EMS