Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when are you header-wrapping?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
DanielW
Banned

I think I'm gonna pass on the heat wrap and actually get the entire exhaust coated in HPC 56% coating. I've heard that the heat wrap could trap moisture
Old 10-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by DanielW
I think I'm gonna pass on the heat wrap and actually get the entire exhaust coated in HPC 56% coating. I've heard that the heat wrap could trap moisture
If the header wrap contains asbestos, this is true. However, if you run your car daily I doubt you would have a problem(since the heat from the exhaust would dry out the wrap)

and BTW I was ready to start tonight but I have an electrical problem of some sort. Oil pump + ignition = no start. Hopefully, I will be able to figure it out in the morning.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM
athenG

ok got some somewhat exciting news. So I bought some topspeed resonated TP's on here that were 2.5 inch that turned out to be junk and cracked pretty quickly but they were on long enough for me to reallize that they helped spool up time over the HFC's. So on the advice of CIN motorsports i got a 2.25 inch replacement for them (invidia). The thought is that this will keep the velocity up. I also switched back to the stock y pipe for now because the topspeed y pipe crapped out on me too. Anyway, before there was a half second or so between the time that you nailed the gas from a dig and when the needle got to 0 on the boost gauge (I think this is called boost threshold). This is something that i really wanted to get rid of and was actually about to by a TQ converter to do it. Anyway, the 2.25 inch test pipes paired back with the stock y pipe completely eliminated this and sped up the spool time over the 2.5 inch tp's significantly. Now when you stomp the gas it almost immediately goes to positive boost. Another side effect, if you wanna call it that, is that in first and second gear i am boosting higher now. Before i was only hitting like .44 - .45 bar in 2nd gear and now I consistently hit .5 bar before red line. I would recommend this to anyone who has this kit. It really makes a difference.

wow, I was stil debating what TP and size to get so I guess this pretty much say it all.

Great write up.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:27 AM
goosegoose

ok got some somewhat exciting news. So I bought some topspeed resonated TP's on here that were 2.5 inch that turned out to be junk and cracked pretty quickly but they were on long enough for me to reallize that they helped spool up time over the HFC's. So on the advice of CIN motorsports i got a 2.25 inch replacement for them (invidia). The thought is that this will keep the velocity up. I also switched back to the stock y pipe for now because the topspeed y pipe crapped out on me too. Anyway, before there was a half second or so between the time that you nailed the gas from a dig and when the needle got to 0 on the boost gauge (I think this is called boost threshold). This is something that i really wanted to get rid of and was actually about to by a TQ converter to do it. Anyway, the 2.25 inch test pipes paired back with the stock y pipe completely eliminated this and sped up the spool time over the 2.5 inch tp's significantly. Now when you stomp the gas it almost immediately goes to positive boost. Another side effect, if you wanna call it that, is that in first and second gear i am boosting higher now. Before i was only hitting like .44 - .45 bar in 2nd gear and now I consistently hit .5 bar before red line. I would recommend this to anyone who has this kit. It really makes a difference.
Great news.
How much louder is yoru setup now compared to how it was before?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:27 AM
DanielW
Banned

honestly i can't even tell the difference. That was the main thing that I was worried about and the reason I went with resonated test pipes before. But i don't know if it's because these seem to bemade out of thicker material (nicer) or the smaller diameter but there is no noticeable increase in sound level at all. Even with the windows up cruising @ 70-80 it doesn't really "drone" any more than with the HFC's on.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM
DanielW
Banned

going to go for a ride right now...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Count me into the STS turbo kit club. My car started! No codes, just some random misfires which I sort of expected since the car sat for so long without being started. No leaks from the kit that I can see so far, just from my oil filter sandwich plate.

Only strange thing I saw was some water coming out of the exhaust, again, probably condensation from the car sitting for so long.

I need to put my bumper back on and go for a ride.

Oh its also loud as crap
Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM
DanielW
Banned

what do you think bro?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 PM
goosegoose

honestly i can't even tell the difference. That was the main thing that I was worried about and the reason I went with resonated test pipes before. But i don't know if it's because these seem to bemade out of thicker material (nicer) or the smaller diameter but there is no noticeable increase in sound level at all. Even with the windows up cruising @ 70-80 it doesn't really "drone" any more than with the HFC's on.
I think my setup is loud as hell, especially in the 1800-2200 RPM range. This is with stock cats and stock y-pipe. I want to increase the responsiveness of the system by upgrading those components like you did, but not if this is going to make things even louder.

It is good that there is not a significant difference in sound between the HFCs and TPs, but was there a considerable sound increase when you upgraded from your stock cats?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

what do you think bro?

I just ran it around the block to check for leaks and stuff. So far...scary

I havent even gotten into boost yet. I am a little worried about my AFR just riding around on the starter map. Its between 14 and 15 at hardly any throttle and goes ultra(out of scale) lean on shifts. But I havent tried to get out of 2nd gear yet

Oh I am also getting random misfires at start up. Is this normal for you guys?

Last edited by Ahsmo; 10-21-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by goosegoose
I think my setup is loud as hell, especially in the 1800-2200 RPM range. This is with stock cats and stock y-pipe. I want to increase the responsiveness of the system by upgrading those components like you did, but not if this is going to make things even louder.
not really, it pretty much just made it soiund a little deeper and just a tad louder, not enough for me to really notice just driving around
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I just ran it around the block to check for leaks and stuff. So far...scary

I havent even gotten into boost yet. I am a little worried about my AFR just riding around on the starter map. Its between 14 and 15 at hardly any throttle and goes ultra(out of scale) lean on shifts. But I havent tried to get out of 2nd gear yet

Oh I am also getting random misfires at start up. Is this normal for you guys?

which tranny do you have?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

also, it should only be at like 14.8 or so riding around under light throttle. ITs when you really get on it that it should dip below 11.5
Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is going off the scale on the lean side do not get into boost until you get it to a good tuner.I do not want to see another blown engine thread again regardless of which kit is on the car.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM
athenG

also, it should only be at like 14.8 or so riding around under light throttle. ITs when you really get on it that it should dip below 11.5

yap at part throttle and no boost my A/F is around that also. One way I check is try to boost in a higher gear (4th-5th) and let it climb around 1-2psi. If you are still lean then stop, this way you are only boosting low and also at a lower rpm plus the RPM doesn't climb fast enough to create damage.

Last edited by athenG; 10-21-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I have a manual transmission.

I finally got it under boost in just 2 and 3 gear... bellow 11 the whole time. So I think I am good. At partial throttle I am around 14.8 so I will carry on this way until I can get down to SGP.

I am boosting around 5-6 psi in 2 and 3. I havent gotten a chance to get it into 4th. It is kinda scary how fast it gets up to 60...
Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I have a manual transmission.

I finally got it under boost in just 2 and 3 gear... bellow 11 the whole time. So I think I am good. At partial throttle I am around 14.8 so I will carry on this way until I can get down to SGP.

I am boosting around 5-6 psi in 2 and 3. I havent gotten a chance to get it into 4th. It is kinda scary how fast it gets up to 60...
Sweet thats still a little rich but you should be safe until final tuning.Dont you just love the newfound power.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
DanielW
Banned

congrats on new power man!!! what other mods do you have?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

haha I am addicted to this. I have a boost leak but 5.5 psi is still a hoot!

nismo mid pipe, nismo y-pipe, and ebay test pipes

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread