Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

danielwebb, did you notice any spool improvement on 1st-2nd gear after your tune/TP/Y-pipe upgrade?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
aarantes

Originally Posted by Sub zero
I'm gonna miss you julian
Sub why do you have to be a sarcastic dick, He said he is done with this tread if you want to keep taking personal attacks at him either start a new tread or take it to PMs.

KEEP THIS TREAD ON TOPIC which is improvements, problem solving, pros and cons.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear everything went good with you Cube..(i know it was a headache) so what are your future plans?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
danielwebb, did you notice any spool improvement on 1st-2nd gear after your tune/TP/Y-pipe upgrade?

yeah I did actually. However, as Julian so kindly pointed out its a little hard to quantify things like spool up with this kit because it tends to spool up a little different each time (at least in my case). Don't get me wrong its not like there are major fluctuations going on but it might be 50-100 rpms sooner or later depending on how hot you have the turbo. This is why I was asking goose to give us his overall impressions of the heat wrap rather than numbers. That being said, I think the y pipe test pipe combo noticeably improved response time for the turbo to begin spooling. The best way i can explain it is that when you punch the gas at low rpms the time that the boost needle is just below 0 is significantly reducded. hope that helped
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM
athenG

/\ what is the highest PSI have you gotten on 1st gear compared to your old setup? Yeah, you really need to get the Turbo warmed up to do any tuning. My highest is 5PSI with Stock exhaust.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by aarantes
Sub why do you have to be a sarcastic dick, He said he is done with this tread if you want to keep taking personal attacks at him either start a new tread or take it to PMs.

KEEP THIS TREAD ON TOPIC which is improvements, problem solving, pros and cons.

+1 maybe he feel like he won

all the facts remain

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I gave my input on the issues STS needs to fix with real life factual information,complete with pictures...I also gave my opinion on how STS handles business and customer relations from my own personal view and experience.And now Im done with this thread. Good luck guys.
i think everybody appreciates your input Julian with the pics and all...but just as everybody up to the cin part...which was OT.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-09-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by danielwebb
yeah I did actually. However, as Julian so kindly pointed out its a little hard to quantify things like spool up with this kit because it tends to spool up a little different each time (at least in my case). Don't get me wrong its not like there are major fluctuations going on but it might be 50-100 rpms sooner or later depending on how hot you have the turbo. This is why I was asking goose to give us his overall impressions of the heat wrap rather than numbers. That being said, I think the y pipe test pipe combo noticeably improved response time for the turbo to begin spooling. The best way i can explain it is that when you punch the gas at low rpms the time that the boost needle is just below 0 is significantly reducded. hope that helped
If I had to quantify, I think the heat wrap improved spool times so that I start building positive boost at ~2700RPM and full boost by ~4200RPM. Of course, this is variable due to the same factors you cited above.

To tell you the truth, I am now debating over changing the existing turbo to a GT35-55 turbo, or just swapping the whole STS out for an APS TT. Not sure yet. I guess it depends how much progress everyone makes on this thing.

Last edited by goosegoose; 10-10-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
DanielW
Banned

5psi is about it for me in first gear as well. and thats on a good day. I should be getting the speed signal on my EBC hooked up in the next few weeks so I'll be able to access the gear dependent boost control and that should help 1st gear spool. I'm hitting like close to 7psi in 2nd btw

EDIT: 2,000 post FTMFW
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Do the gt35r!!! I've been waiting for someone to give that a try.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
Do the gt35r!!! I've been waiting for someone to give that a try.
Out of curiosity, what effects would you expect this to have on the setup?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by Sub zero
I'm glad to hear everything went good with you Cube..(i know it was a headache) so what are your future plans?
Who exactly updated you on that situation?

Future plans... really have none for now. It's back to the drawing board. Nothing at all will happen until at least February when I drive home to Chicago for my b-day. I have 2 brothers that work at AMS... they love them some UTEC and Precision Turbos. But as for now, I'm at 3500 miles on the built motor and it'll probably hit about 6000 naturally aspirated miles before any solid plan for FI actually happens.

Good luck Daniel, goosegoose, athen, and especially aarantes.

I'd also like to thank Julian. I thanked him over AIM but I'm also thanking him here for getting me the contact info for the only guy at STS worth speaking to, "Wild" Bill.

(ps: I'll still be browsing around here, but not participating anymore as STS left a bad taste that I don't think any praise or good testimonials will wash out)
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose
Out of curiosity, what effects would you expect this to have on the setup?

Since Sub is going to drop his car at STS maybe you can ask Rick to do a quick drop of the GT35R and see if it actually improve spool time (Sorry Sub Zero). I know it is hard to drop $$$ for an upgrade Turbo if it actually not going to help, so maybe if they can prove that it will really help then there might be people interested (I for one will be interested).

Last edited by athenG; 10-09-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
failsafe
....for your health

STOP WITH THE BASHING- If it continues this thread will be closed and appropriate action taken.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
DanielW
Banned

I would deffinitely be interested. I'm pretty happy with my current peak power levels but would love something that spools a tad faster, and thats pretty much what Rick @ STS said that the gt35 would do
Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by failsafe
STOP WITH THE BASHING- If it continues this thread will be closed and appropriate action taken.

you weren't always listed as an administrator were you? This must be something really recent. Seems like you posted a day or two ago under a regular screen name
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by danielwebb
you weren't always listed as an administrator were you? This must be something really recent. Seems like you posted a day or two ago under a regular screen name
There are two "failsafe"s on this site. One is an admin, one isn't.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by taurran
There are two "failsafe"s on this site. One is an admin, one isn't.
exactly what he said the other failsafe is failsafe306 and it say under his name not a m0derator i believe but craig is correct.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 PM
DanielW
Banned

ohhhhh...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by r0mey
and it say under his name not a m0derator i believe but craig is correct.
I put it there because so many people were PM'ing me about premier memberships and username changes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

lol

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread