Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, as for the turbo sound - yes, I love it. I actually don't go into boost all that often. It's just fun to hear that thing spool up
Old 10-31-2008, 09:30 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is hard to capture it on video but try to make one... You'll be the first person to complain about compressor surge especially on 0-1psi. Maybe changing the BOV Spring may help or you probably have the wrong spring in there...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by athenG
I know it is hard to capture it on video but try to make one... You'll be the first person to complain about compressor surge especially on 0-1psi. Maybe changing the BOV Spring may help or you probably have the wrong spring in there...
I'll have to get a friend to help me get it on video. As for the BOV spring - I took it apart last night and I do have the -11 psi (un-painted) spring. No wonder these things are $30 - they are much bigger than I imagined.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
athenG

Yeah, when I replaced my Wastegate Spring I thought I'll be the size of my thumb... lol I had to sit on it just to get the spring installed...

Edit: By they way did you try to clean the BOV or lubricate it a little? Tial sometimes get stuck especially when cold and sometime a little lubricating help.. Ask Washwiz coz he had this problem before...

Last edited by athenG; 10-31-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:12 AM
JonnyC

By they way did you try to clean the BOV or lubricate it a little?
It was plenty clean, but I guess I could have tossed some silicone spray on the guide inside of it :-/
Old 10-31-2008, 05:11 PM
JonnyC

Well, I realized I'm only pulling like -10 psi at idle after warm-up. My UTEC MAP sensor calibration might not be on, but that's probably about right. I will be buying the -9 psi spring.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:58 PM
athenG

that is about right... My Utec also read about -10 psi on idle..
Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 AM
Boozt

Got the car back...it is louder for sure. Roads are still wet so power is hard to determine on the street as wheel spin is an issue......I do note that peak power seems to last longer in taller gears (not running out of breath I guess). Happy with the set-up so far. -Jim
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Boozt
Got the car back...it is louder for sure. Roads are still wet so power is hard to determine on the street as wheel spin is an issue......I do note that peak power seems to last longer in taller gears (not running out of breath I guess). Happy with the set-up so far. -Jim
This is with the Motordyne XYZ pipe and HFC option?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by goosegoose
This is with the Motordyne XYZ pipe and HFC option?
Yes. Although I did not use Motordynes HFC....THe shop used all steel HFC fabricated into the XYZ set-up.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
goosegoose

Yes. Although I did not use Motordynes HFC....THe shop used all steel HFC fabricated into the XYZ set-up.
Why did you choose to go this route, instead of using the Motordyne HFC? I believe Motordyne's HFC is metallic as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Boozt

Why did you choose to go this route, instead of using the Motordyne HFC? I believe Motordyne's HFC is metallic as well.
cost...shop could do it cheaper for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
goosegoose

cost...shop could do it cheaper for me.
Got it.

Are these the "solid steel blow-proof" CATS you mentioned two pages ago?

Also, when you said this setup was louder, I guess you meant your current XYZ-Pipe + Custom CAT setup is louder than your OEM Y-Pipe + OEM CAT setup. Did you notice any significant changes to AFR after the XYZ Pipe + Custom CAT installation?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 AM
DanielW
Banned

^ +1 very interested to see how the XYZ pipe does
Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Boozt

Got it.

Are these the "solid steel blow-proof" CATS you mentioned two pages ago?

Also, when you said this setup was louder, I guess you meant your current XYZ-Pipe + Custom CAT setup is louder than your OEM Y-Pipe + OEM CAT setup. Did you notice any significant changes to AFR after the XYZ Pipe + Custom CAT installation?
These are the same CATS...I don't think anything is blow proof though . AF ratios are the same 11:1 full boost and 14.9 to 15.1 at cruising speeds. Yes, louder with the XYZ and Steel CATs. This is not my DD but I have put in a little more seat time since yesterday and I starting notice a power improvement as the roads dry out a bit. I also through a code this AM on the way to work so I need to find if the new CATs are responsible or just another FI gremlin.....Since I went FI I throw lame codes about once every 2 months that result in nothing. I to the point on not panicking unless I every see a blinikng Check engine light.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM
athenG

/\ were you getting mis-fire? Have you changed your spark plugs? When I was using the copper spark plugs that came with the STS I was getting mis-fire ones a month but only on cold start. After switching to iridium spark plug (1 step colder) now I only got a mis-fire code 1-2 in 7 months...
Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 AM
goosegoose

/\ were you getting mis-fire? Have you changed your spark plugs? When I was using the copper spark plugs that came with the STS I was getting mis-fire ones a month but only on cold start. After switching to iridium spark plug (1 step colder) now I only got a mis-fire code 1-2 in 7 months...
Speaking about plugs, here's a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile.

I have the same experience as you. My setup was first running on the one-step colder NGK copper plugs and misfiring a lot. I switched to one-step colder Denso iridium plugs, and that decreased the misfiring frequency significantly.

Most recently, I received several recommendations to change out plugs again. Denso themselves said to go one step colder for each 100CHP you produce above factory specs. So now, I'm running three-step colder Denso iridium plugs. (And no, I don't think I'm making 500-600 CHP) I have no misfires. However, are there any drawbacks to running plugs that are somewhat too cold for your application?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Boozt

I am running colder plugs but not sure which ones.....The shop installed the STS kit and I assume they used the kits plugs but I did have the iridium plugs still in the car from my previous Vortech set-up. I'll have to check with the shop.. Thanks fellas- Jim
Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM
athenG

Speaking about plugs, here's a question I've been meaning to ask for awhile.

I have the same experience as you. My setup was first running on the one-step colder NGK copper plugs and misfiring a lot. I switched to one-step colder Denso iridium plugs, and that decreased the misfiring frequency significantly.

Most recently, I received several recommendations to change out plugs again. Denso themselves said to go one step colder for each 100CHP you produce above factory specs. So now, I'm running three-step colder Denso iridium plugs. (And no, I don't think I'm making 500-600 CHP) I have no misfires. However, are there any drawbacks to running plugs that are somewhat too cold for your application?

I'm not a spark plug expert but with your power I think 2 step is more than enough.. I think the Gap is also important since you are boosting 14+psi.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Boozt

Code was a "lean bank one".....Same as always. seems to happen more in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread