Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
goosegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
You never had this problem right? But then again you have a built motor. I Never had this problem last winter Does your idle stay stable even with this error?
Never had this problem before. Not on my original nor on my built motor. Idle stays stable.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
athenG

Every one that has this problem seem to have a stable idle.. My idle isn't really bad but I can see it dip about 100rpm but my Innovate WB actually read 16-18:1 A/F. Also mine only happen when I'm idling for a long time. I dont have problem when driving or doing a quick stop on a stop light.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Boozt

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a lean bank one code. I'm to the point now I just ingnore it..
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 AM
athenG

I just looked at my spark plugs and tighten up everything.. I noticed that when I pulled my spark plugs that they are barely screwed in. I did a quick test and everything seem to be fine. I'm due for inspection this coming December so I want this fixed before then.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM
athenG

Update... I added some fuel on the 0% column and so far everything is stable which is pretty good. Tried to replicate my driving habit and let it idle for a good amount of time and A/F seem to be stable (A/F perefect around 14.5-14.9) now even let the car idle for 10 mins. while tuning the 0% column now I get a P0507 error...ggrrr but at least P01273 is gone. I think reving the car very high cause the P0507 error so I erased all the code now and crossing my fingers it wont go back.

Last edited by athenG; 11-20-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 AM
goosegoose

Update... I added some fuel on the 0% column and so far everything is stable which is pretty good. Tried to replicate my driving habit and let it idle for a good amount of time and A/F seem to be stable (A/F perefect around 14.5-14.9) now even let the car idle for 10 mins. while tuning the 0% column now I get a P0507 error...ggrrr but at least P01273 is gone. I think reving the car very high cause the P0507 error so I erased all the code now and crossing my fingers it wont go back.
What's the P0507 error?

I toyed with the temp correction in my UTEC a few days ago. So far, no TOO LEAN code.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose
What's the P0507 error?

I toyed with the temp correction in my UTEC a few days ago. So far, no TOO LEAN code.
P0507 Idle Speed Control System, I had this error once this summer when I had my AC on and the Idle was above 1100rpm. I reset the ECU and the error never came back until today. I didn't think the Utec temp compensation take effect under ECU control? Anyways, before the change when I rev the car my A/F was 15.2-15.5 all the way to 5000rpm so I added some fuel and now it is fixed. Did some driving without boost and A/F is stable now. I didnt really payed attention on my 0% before coz I never had any error but now that I'm thinking, I had my TP installed last March so it made my car a little lean even without boost. I guess it didnt complain in the summer but now that it is colder it start freaking out.... I'm going to do some driving this weekend and I'm crossing my fingers hoping this is the end of it... lol
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 AM
goosegoose

P0507 Idle Speed Control System, I had this error once this summer when I had my AC on and the Idle was above 1100rpm. I reset the ECU and the error never came back until today. I didn't think the Utec temp compensation take effect under ECU control? Anyways, before the change when I rev the car my A/F was 15.2-15.5 all the way to 5000rpm so I added some fuel and now it is fixed. Did some driving without boost and A/F is stable now. I didnt really payed attention on my 0% before coz I never had any error but now that I'm thinking, I had my TP installed last March so it made my car a little lean even without boost. I guess it didnt complain in the summer but now that it is colder it start freaking out.... I'm going to do some driving this weekend and I'm crossing my fingers hoping this is the end of it... lol
I don't think my TOO LEAN code caused was caused by column zero conditions. The code always seemed to pop on when driving in mid boost.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM
athenG

/\ Mid boost? better get a WB on that right side to verify your A/F.. You A/F on boost should be well in the 11's and I dont think the ECU will even complain at 12's. Are you sure it comes from mid boost? ECU dont pop the CEL right away so it could've happen at cruising or idling. For example, I had no CEL and then grabbed my ODBII and next thing you know I see P01273 even though I dont have CEL.. Try log your A/F with no boost or do rev it and see if you are below 15:1 A/F.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM
goosegoose

/\ Mid boost? better get a WB on that right side to verify your A/F.. You A/F on boost should be well in the 11's and I dont think the ECU will even complain at 12's. Are you sure it comes from mid boost? ECU dont pop the CEL right away so it could've happen at cruising or idling. For example, I had no CEL and then grabbed my ODBII and next thing you know I see P01273 even though I dont have CEL..
I might get a TXS-Tuner later on, put it in the driver's side, and then pop my Innovate in the passenger side. I want to wait to finalize my exhaust track first before doing any of that though. I'll probably touch all this again in Jan or Feb.

For now, the motor has zero knock and no stability problems at idle, cruise, mid, or full boost, so I'm pretty sure I won't blow anything up.

My summer tires are starting to slip up everywhere anyway, so the winter tires have to go on soon, and i'm probably going to dial down my boost to my 10PSI WG-Spring. Less boost and less fun.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Boozt

I tend to throw the lean code with cruising too. Never under boost. For what it's worth, Cold weather seems to make the system finiky. -Jim
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Boozt
I tend to throw the lean code with cruising too. Never under boost. For what it's worth, Cold weather seems to make the system finiky. -Jim
Maybe you need to retune your 0% column. I was running a little lean and that is why I'm getting the P01273 error so I made adjustment to my 0% column and so far it's been a few days now and hasn't come back. I did have problem with high Idle (P0507) when I reset my ECU, but after doing the idle re-learn and cleaning my MAF and TB its been stable now. I'm not worried about the P01273 anymore but I'm worried the P0507 might come back, if it does then I may need a new throttle body. I think your problem is more tune ralated.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Boozt

Maybe you need to retune your 0% column. I was running a little lean and that is why I'm getting the P01273 error so I made adjustment to my 0% column and so far it's been a few days now and hasn't come back. I did have problem with high Idle (P0507) when I reset my ECU, but after doing the idle re-learn and cleaning my MAF and TB its been stable now. I'm not worried about the P01273 anymore but I'm worried the P0507 might come back, if it does then I may need a new throttle body. I think your problem is more tune ralated.
Cool, thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what would explain my idle issues? I went through the reset procedure of the ECU, drove the car around, and still had issues when I pulled into the garage. Looking at my BOV, it will open very slightly, the idle will increase, it will close, then the idle will fall to where it almost stalls. It will continue to surge, then stumble, then surge, etc.

Basically, it seems as though the motor is starved for air trying to suck it through the turbo at idle. But if the vacuum is high enough, the BOV will open slightly and air will get sucked in. I'll have to diagnose it more in the spring, since I don't even know how logical this is.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 AM
athenG

So your Bov slightly open when just idling or below 1000rpm? Since your compressor surge didn't go away with the lighter Bov spring then you might as well go back to the original spring and see if that makes a difference.

Just curios does your BOV make a sound when you just rev your engine?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 AM
DanielW
Banned

sorry if this has been covered already but have you checked all your vaccum lines?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
toddrs93

We just did a universal kit from STS on a Dodge Stealth.

It was a ton of fabrication work since it was a universal kit, but in the end it turned out looking great and netted a 105 wheel horsepower gain in at abot 6-7 psi with an auto trans.

I am looking at doing a 350 kit right now.

Here's some pics from the set-up we did on the Stealth:

Name:  stscar004.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  97.8 KB
Name:  stscar015.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  97.9 KB

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
athenG

Nice.. that is a big a$$ FMIC you got there.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM
JonnyC

So your Bov slightly open when just idling or below 1000rpm? Since your compressor surge didn't go away with the lighter Bov spring then you might as well go back to the original spring and see if that makes a difference.

Just curios does your BOV make a sound when you just rev your engine?
I had the same issue with the stronger spring :-/ I don't think it makes a noise when revving, but I haven't really done that often so I can't recall. However, I did notice that my turbo doesn't really spool up at all when revving - nothing close to what yours does in the video you posted. This is probably due to an exhaust leak somewhere.

Originally Posted by DanielW
sorry if this has been covered already but have you checked all your vaccum lines?
Yup. However, I do have a filter on the driver's side crankcase breather, with the PCV hooked up to the plenum - like the install describes. I thought this would cause a vacuum leak, but air might not even flow through there at idle (thought PCV closes at high vacuum).

I'll diagnose this more in the spring. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
JonnyC

Very nice todd. I'm wondering though - is the larger diameter of the charge pipes affecting the lag? The Z kit's charge pipes are the same diameter as the compressor housing's going up to just before the FMIC. Might not be an issue though.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread