Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
However, I did notice that my turbo doesn't really spool up at all when revving - nothing close to what yours does in the video you posted. This is probably due to an exhaust leak somewhere.

really? I thought I heard your Turbo spool when you reved your engine and before you took of on your video.. Also you cant just rev your car when it is still cold and expect the turbo to spin. On my video my car is already warmed up and been driving for 10 mins already before I took the video.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
toddrs93

Very nice todd. I'm wondering though - is the larger diameter of the charge pipes affecting the lag? The Z kit's charge pipes are the same diameter as the compressor housing's going up to just before the FMIC. Might not be an issue though.
I don't believe so, its pretty responsive, a nice fit for that motor.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
really? I thought I heard your Turbo spool when you reved your engine and before you took of on your video.. Also you cant just rev your car when it is still cold and expect the turbo to spin. On my video my car is already warmed up and been driving for 10 mins already before I took the video.
Yeah thats one thing about the kit... you've really got to get it warmed up for peak performance. I see it as a trade off for the lower IAT's
Old 12-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Boozt

Any of the STS guys running an ECU reflash????? Looking into to improve peak performance of my STS Z. Feed back would be great- Jim
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Johnny, did you modify the fuel pressure regulator? (not sure if this has been covered) Or did you just drop the walbro in? My idle is wild. This is due to the unstable fuel pressure at idle. The only way to fix it is to modify the regulator or run a fuel return system.

Boozt, The UTEC controls everything at wide open throttle. The stock ECU only controls off boost conditions. So if you want to improve driveability then sure, go for it.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Johnny, did you modify the fuel pressure regulator? (not sure if this has been covered) Or did you just drop the walbro in? My idle is wild. This is due to the unstable fuel pressure at idle. The only way to fix it is to modify the regulator or run a fuel return system.

how wild is your idle and what rpm do you idle? I idle around 700-800 when I let it idle for over 3 mins but when I'm driving I idle around 800-950 when on a stoplight. My idle do drop/increase about 100-200rpm too and dont know if it is my TB going bad. I always thought you need a return system to actually change the fuel pressure with our car..
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

how wild is your idle and what rpm do you idle? I idle around 700-800 when I let it idle for over 3 mins but when I'm driving I idle around 800-950 when on a stoplight. My idle do drop/increase about 100-200rpm too and dont know if it is my TB going bad. I always thought you need a return system to actually change the fuel pressure with our car..
It is fluctuates about 3 or 400 RPM I think. I don't really remember. My AFRs go crazy. I idle at 900 rpm. Before I had the idle bumped the car was worse. When Mark at SGP tuned my car it improved some but the fluctuations didn't go away.

According to CJM, unless you drill out the fuel pressure regulator according to the instructions in the Turbonetics manual the fuel pressure at idle is pretty wild with the Walbro. I never drilled it out because it really didn't bother me that much and CJM said it wouldn't hurt anything.

I emailed STS about this problem but they ignored me.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Boozt

Boozt, The UTEC controls everything at wide open throttle. The stock ECU only controls off boost conditions. So if you want to improve driveability then sure, go for it.
Technosquare claims throttle response is better....Plus increased redline, no speed limit, and able to ditch the annoying CEL's. True????
Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by Boozt
Technosquare claims throttle response is better....Plus increased redline, no speed limit, and able to ditch the annoying CEL's. True????
I am sure there would be some difference in throttle response but it would only be noticeable at partial throttle. I could be wrong but on a NA car this would be very noticeable. What year is your Z? The Utec can bump the redline on some years but it is probably not recommended with the stock block. What CEL's do you have? Only one I get is the misfire code. I bought a cheapo code reader to erase those.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I installed the Walbro per phunk's (CJM's) instructions. I didn't have this issue at all with my 650cc injectors and walbro, but I have now switched to 440cc (old Bosch, so really 400cc). My fuel pressure is solid at idle though, although a little high at ~51 psi (if I remember right). But who knows how accurate my gauge/sensor is.

I idle around 650 maybe, then drop down to 500 (I think) and that's where it wants to die. My friend has a Consult II, so I was maybe just going to bump the idle and see if it goes away. However, I don't want to mask a real problem if there is one.

We'll see come this next spring, but thanks for helping me try to diagnose it.

Last edited by JonnyC; 12-05-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
JonnyC

Ahsmo - I just noticed you're selling your kit. Maybe I completely forgot if you stated that before, but what the hell?! It seems as though the STS crowd is diminishing.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
JonnyC

The flashers seem to want to sell their flash to anyone and everyone regardless of the situation - at least that's what I've noticed.

I was looking into getting a flash for the simple reason of scaling my injectors on the ECU. You obviously scale the injectors in the UTEC for when it is in control, but there are weird situations when you can feel hiccups (very light throttle after decel). Also, with my 650cc's before, the car had a hard time starting because the UTEC has no control over the injectors while cranking.

Anyways - I emailed UpRev about it, and they said they would need to do a full tune since there's no such thing as a simple reflash to scale the injectors. They then wanted to sell me their $700 flash tool.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Yeah, I installed the Walbro per phunk's (CJM's) instructions. I didn't have this issue at all with my 650cc injectors and walbro, but I have now switched to 440cc (old Bosch, so really 400cc). My fuel pressure is solid at idle though, although a little high at ~51 psi (if I remember right). But who knows how accurate my gauge/sensor is.

I idle around 650 maybe, then drop down to 500 (I think) and that's where it wants to die. My friend has a Consult II, so I was maybe just going to bump the idle and see if it goes away. However, I don't want to mask a real problem if there is one.

We'll see come this next spring, but thanks for helping me try to diagnose it.
I think you would definitely see an improvement with an idle bump.

Sorry I totally forgot you were supercharged before. Then the obvious conclusion then is that my idle problems may not be due to my fuel pressure. I will find out when I go back to stock and leave the walbro in or take it out. Your problem is obviously related to the kit. Could one of the solenoid valves be leaking by on the PCV system? Again I am not familiar with your PCV setup but...

Ahsmo - I just noticed you're selling your kit. Maybe I completely forgot if you stated that before, but what the hell?! It seems as though the STS crowd is diminishing.
I don't think I came out and said it but I am going into the Navy and I needed to get rid of this money pit before I got too busy to fix it every time it had a problem. Not that I have had any but I expected the engine to let go in the future. This was a problem I really did not want to worry about while I was in school or moving somewhere. I am going to get another Z and turbocharge it in the next 5 years. For now, the 08 crew cab Silverado I just bought will reliably get me to and from work and carry all of my stuff too. These two things I could not depend on my Z to do for the next 5 years or more.

I think the STS community is bigger than this forum would lead you and I to believe. I think a significant number of people are buying these kits from someone not here and having them installed by someone other than a vendor. I think this is natural as this platform progresses and becomes cheaper to acquire.

The flashers seem to want to sell their flash to anyone and everyone regardless of the situation - at least that's what I've noticed.

I was looking into getting a flash for the simple reason of scaling my injectors on the ECU. You obviously scale the injectors in the UTEC for when it is in control, but there are weird situations when you can feel hiccups (very light throttle after decel). Also, with my 650cc's before, the car had a hard time starting because the UTEC has no control over the injectors while cranking.

Anyways - I emailed UpRev about it, and they said they would need to do a full tune since there's no such thing as a simple reflash to scale the injectors. They then wanted to sell me their $700 flash tool.
You said it all right there.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 AM
athenG

Did you guys did an Idle relearn at least? My idle is not as bad and pretty much idle around 750rpm and maybe drop/increase 100-200rpm every now and then (Not consistent). My CEL problem seem to disappear after replacing my MAF sensor, replacing my MAF also stabilize my Idle a little. FWIW my car also dont like to idle below 650rpm but is stable above 700rpm.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
JonnyC

I don't think I came out and said it but I am going into the Navy and I needed to get rid of this money pit before I got too busy to fix it every time it had a problem. Not that I have had any but I expected the engine to let go in the future. This was a problem I really did not want to worry about while I was in school or moving somewhere. I am going to get another Z and turbocharge it in the next 5 years. For now, the 08 crew cab Silverado I just bought will reliably get me to and from work and carry all of my stuff too. These two things I could not depend on my Z to do for the next 5 years or more.
I don't blame you. That day will come for me sometime, where it just becomes more of a liability. Best of luck with your endeavor - hopefully you are able to get some good money for your parts.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
JonnyC

Did you guys did an Idle relearn at least? My idle is not as bad and pretty much idle around 750rpm and maybe drop/increase 100-200rpm every now and then (Not consistent). My CEL problem seem to disappear after replacing my MAF sensor, replacing my MAF also stabilize my Idle a little. FWIW my car also dont like to idle below 650rpm but is stable above 700rpm.
I didn't do a relearn - only reset the ECU. I'll have to look into do that. Otherwise, I can just bump the idle.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
DanielW
Banned

Any of the STS guys running an ECU reflash????? Looking into to improve peak performance of my STS Z. Feed back would be great- Jim
I had an ecu reflash from when i had bolt ons. Not sure if it affected anything though.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Mike_G

<-- STS owner/lurker... Cars away for the winter
Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Mike_G

So, Im curious how many of us are kicking around ?
I have had the problem described erratic idle. Added some fuel to the 0% column got some better results. Still not perfect Im sure the temp compensation would help out. Hopefully this spring it will get sorted out.
Happy Holidays
Mike
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
athenG

First reset your ECU (I did a batter disconnect) then do the entire idle relearn.. adding more fuel will not fix it coz if your 02 sensor, TB or your MAF is malfunctioning then the symptom will go back. Utec Temp Compensation dont take effect until you are on boost so it is non factor in idling. The ECU control everything in close loop.

Try this procedure:

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal "as is”
2) Turn IGN switch “ON” – at least 2 sec
3) Turn IGN switch “OFF” – at least 10 sec
4) Turn IGN switch “ON” – at least 2 sec
5) Turn IGN switch “OFF” – at least 10 sec

Wait 10 sec for next procedure

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal “as is”
2) Turn IGN switch “ON” – appr 3-4 sec

Wait 10 sec for next procedure.. Make sure the car is fully warmed else drive for a few mins before doing the idle air volume learing.

Idle Air Volume Learning
1) Leave ACC pedal “as is”
2) Start engine and warm up to operating temp – temp gauge around middle
4) Turn IGN switch “ON” – 3 sec
5) Fully depress and release ACC pedal – 5 times within 5 sec
6) Wait 7 sec
7) Fully depress ACC pedal for appr 20 sec – during this time CEL blinks
8) When CEL light is “ON”, not blinking – fully release ACC pedal
9) Turn the engine “ON” within 3 sec
10) Start engine and idle
11) Wait 20 sec
12) Rev engine 2-3 times and check IDLE and TIMING

Your idle will be a little off since the ECU is trying to relearn but after a few mins of idling just drive normal.

If that doesn't fix it then try to borrow a MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference. I had some idle problem (P507) and P1273 code and after replacing my MAF pretty much fix ever thing. My idle is also much better after changing the MAF sensor.

Last edited by athenG; 12-16-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread