Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The powder coating looks awsome!!! I wish I had though of doing that before everything was installed. Next time I guess.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto here.....ugh.....chances are if you hooked my car up to a sniffer at idle and moderate driving it spits out less emissions than most stock cars

Originally Posted by Cass007
Its even worse now, anything newer than '02 and they plug directly into your OBD port and pull codes right from the stock EMS. The machines the garages have are wired right into the State's mainframe and it does a full info match (VIN and such) to verify its your car that is hooked up. Can't even just clear the codes, because the machine reads if all sensors have responded or if some are still pending, meaning they have just been reset. I went to about 20 backwoods and shady downtown shops and every one said the same thing, they can't get around the State's CPU. I was even offering 500 reasons to just give me a sticker if you know what I mean.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
ibkarlito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn dude...I feel famous, I've been mentioned a few times! Thanks for all the kind words bro! These are some sweeeet deals - quality parts for a quality build Chris is one of the nicest people I've met through this forum. You deserve a kick-*** whip and the best of luck! Promise me one thing........ENJOY!!

Nice on-going write up, keep us posted!

Karl (The Mid-A Mistress)

DO NOT CLICK....SERIOUSLY!!

OK, back OT. When I met Karl to get the clutch he brought along a few other goodies that caught my eye. He must be some kind of salesman at his job, cause next thing I know, I'm grabbing more cash and setting up another meet. Karl hooked me up like a champ!!

• Quaife ATB Limited Slip Differential w/ Lifetime Warranty Selling Price = $1695
• 3.357 Gears Conversion (2003 G35 AT Differential) $0 - Pumpkin included w/ LSD

Attachment 216912

• Aquamist HFS-5 Methanol Injection System Selling Price = $750
• Snow 7Qt Reservoir + Boost Juice (49% Meth & 51% Water) $0 Included w/ Meth Kit

Attachment 216913

Fequent Buyer Cash Pricing - $2000

I did a lot of research on both of these products including checking with forum members. The Quaife is rock solid and should help with both straight line acceleration and cornering, plus the 3.3 taller gears will let me make the most out of my top end power with a higher redline and the cams (whatever they are).
The HFS-5 is IMO simply the best meth system on the market. Considering I was able to grab it for a price comparable to many of the other systems on the market, I just could not pass it up.

Again I must say how great a guy Karl is and that he must have had one of the fastest sleeper G's on the forum. His build was top notch from start to finish with no details overlooked. Please check out his sale threads, you will not be disappointed. If F:T tuned f-con, it would waiting for install with everything else.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Sorry for the OT... Autronic??? Is there a thread about this?
I heard they have some problems with timing? I dont know much about it I just read this and checked out the videos.

http://lightspeedinnovations.com/newsDetails.aspx?ID=20
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I heard they have some problems with timing? I dont know much about it I just read this and checked out the videos.

Thanks for the info, I will research both the good and bad, and this sounds bad. Dave at F:T will hopefully be posting a full thread on the Autronic in the near future and that will help me make my decision on an EMS.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
ZZZNUTS

Wow! Kharma for the seller at the least. Props to your wife on the washer/dryer set. Great to have a good cutman in your corner in Hill's Garage. This thread is like a suspense thriller, lol. Thanks for the all the info in this thread. Best of luck to you. I'll be following along.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Prior to seeing the timing "thing" my biggest problem was they do not offer a plug and play unit so it would have to be wired in and I heard its a huge job to get it wired in. So in the end it would be much more costly than a Haltech or an F-Con. Again I do not know much about stand alone units but I did look into the SM-4 a while ago and that was the info I found I hope it helps and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by ibkarlito
Damn dude...I feel famous, I've been mentioned a few times! Thanks for all the kind words bro! These are some sweeeet deals - quality parts for a quality build Chris is one of the nicest people I've met through this forum. You deserve a kick-*** whip and the best of luck! Promise me one thing........ENJOY!!

Nice on-going write up, keep us posted!

Karl (The Mid-A Mistress)

DO NOT CLICK....SERIOUSLY!!
OH NOES!!! You warned not to click on that thread, but I did anyway!

You have PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Prior to seeing the timing "thing" my biggest problem was they do not offer a plug and play unit so it would have to be wired in and I heard its a huge job to get it wired in. So in the end it would be much more costly than a Haltech or an F-Con. Again I do not know much about stand alone units but I did look into the SM-4 a while ago and that was the info I found I hope it helps and keep us updated on your progress.
YIKES!!! ^^ That certainly takes away from it's appeal.

I'm curious to see what Robbie and Dave at Function Tuned have to say about this.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

You have PM.
Be Careful - thats exactly how I got sucked in - someone grab that f-con stuff and get a deal from Karl.

Prior to seeing the timing "thing" my biggest problem was they do not offer a plug and play unit so it would have to be wired in and I heard its a huge job to get it wired in.
Prior to seeing the timing "thing" my biggest problem was they do not offer a plug and play unit so it would have to be wired in and I heard its a huge job to get it wired in.
I believe that the vid is actually in a link on the Autronic web site that Robbie posted a link to earlier and they offer an explanation as to why people are getting false readings, but it is too technical for me to understand fully, this is a debate best left for Dave's thread. I am confident that Dave will be able to explain this much better when he gets his thread up, although I want to make it clear that he is not an Autronic spokesperson or any kind of nuthugger, he is a (GREAT) tuner that is mearly responding to a request by two of his customers. That being said, I don't want to turn my thread into an Autronic discussion forum, there will be more on it in the future if I go that direction or maybe Dave will decide to start tuning Haltech and/or F-con by April 2009.

As far as the plug & play is concerned, that is an issue that Frank and I have discussed and he tells me that there is a plug-in patch to my wiring harness that would allow the Autronic to be spliced into the patch and then be basically plug & play on my vehicle. I have not confirmed with Dave that this is indeed possible, but if so the cost is appx $250 for the harness plug-in.

All of this discussion on the Autronic would be moot if it was not for the fact that Robbie's car drives and performs so flawlessly. His results in the rally speak for themselves and I am realistic that my Utec is not the solution after we do the motor swap.

I am out of info on the build until assembly begins hopefully next week and I will have updates at that time. I also have a little DIY project going on tomorrow that I will throw up on the thread early next week.

I am looking for feedback on how difficult it is to mount my new front fascia, do most guys do it themselves, or is a send to a shop project? I will need it to be a very good fit (like stock), and that is my concern.

Last edited by Cass007; 12-05-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: posting before coffee makes me type like a 4th grader
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

One of the most important things about engine management would be what your tuner is comfortable with and it sounds like you are in good hands with Hills/F:T LOTS of guys I know run Autronic with no problems I just dont know any one with a G/Z using it so I am curious to see your results if you use one. No more Autronic disscusions sorry for taking your thread OT.
P.S your build looks like it is going to sick! I was also looking at that engine before you bought it.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 12-05-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We recently had a race car in here with an Autronic system in it and our techs and tuner liked it, liked working with it. We're using mostly Haltech right now in our builds though.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Driven1
Professional

Be Careful - thats exactly how I got sucked in - someone grab that f-con stuff and get a deal from Karl.

I believe that the vid is actually in a link on the Autronic web site that Robbie posted a link to earlier and they offer an explanation as to why people are getting false readings, but it is too technical for me to understand fully, this is a debate best left for Dave's thread. I am confident that Dave will be able to explain this much better when he gets his thread up, although I want to make it clear that he is not an Autronic spokesperson or any kind of nuthugger, he is a (GREAT) tuner that is mearly responding to a request by two of his customers. That being said, I don't want to turn my thread into an Autronic discussion forum, there will be more on it in the future if I go that direction or maybe Dave will decide to start tuning Haltech and/or F-con by April 2009.

As far as the plug & play is concerned, that is an issue that Frank and I have discussed and he tells me that there is a plug-in patch to my wiring harness that would allow the Autronic to be spliced into the patch and then be basically plug & play on my vehicle. I have not confirmed with Dave that this is indeed possible, but if so the cost is appx $250 for the harness plug-in.

All of this discussion on the Autronic would be moot if it was not for the fact that Robbie's car drives and performs so flawlessly. His results in the rally speak for themselves and I am realistic that my Utec is not the solution after we do the motor swap.

I am out of info on the build until assembly begins hopefully next week and I will have updates at that time. I also have a little DIY project going on tomorrow that I will throw up on the thread early next week.

I am looking for feedback on how difficult it is to mount my new front fascia, do most guys do it themselves, or is a send to a shop project? I will need it to be a very good fit (like stock), and that is my concern.
Autronic did denounce the supposed "timing issue". Thats actually practically the only thing on their site right now. lol We had absolutely ZERO issues with that. The BMW guys are loving them as well on their track set-ups locally.

Edit: Went back through and read...look at the video they claim found the "issue"...they don't know how to use a timing light. lol Autronic explains it. They're the only ones I found who had and issue with it and in one case. Everyone else swears how accurate it is. Even the LS guys.

Dave's thread is coming. I promise. Just have to give him time. He's crazy busy down at the shop right now.

And as far as I know he can tune Haltech. Actually I believe there's a turbo M3 track car currently in the shop currently running it that he's tuning. Doesn't "like" it a much as the Autronic but it is a very nice unit. Just a preference I guess.

No more Autronic discussion. I promise

Chris, Your powder coating is SICK man. Im so jealous! It's going to look great. I wanted to do that to mine but just never got around to it with the other stuff I had going on unfortunately.

Last edited by Driven1; 12-05-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Driven1
Chris, Your powder coating is SICK man. Im so jealous! It's going to look great. I wanted to do that to mine but just never got around to it with the other stuff I had going on unfortunately.
Thanks Robbie, that means a lot coming from you. At least your car is done and driving, it seems like an endless process right now and as slow as watching trees grow. I am going to focus on finding away around the CEL issues and emissions. I will eventually post up that other mod I got that you wanted, if you remember what it is. I still keep in touch with Acree and we may have something special lined up over his Christmas break.

I considered adding up what has been spent so far, but figured it would just make me want to get fetal in a corner and rock back and forth while crying.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Driven1
Professional

Thanks Robbie, that means a lot coming from you. At least your car is done and driving, it seems like an endless process right now and as slow as watching trees grow. I am going to focus on finding away around the CEL issues and emissions. I will eventually post up that other mod I got that you wanted, if you remember what it is. I still keep in touch with Acree and we may have something special lined up over his Christmas break.

I considered adding up what has been spent so far, but figured it would just make me want to get fetal in a corner and rock back and forth while crying.
Don't EVER add up what you spent. The wifes will Pwnz you! You thought the W/D were bad! And yes you will probably go curl up in a corner somewhere. lol

And as far as the other mod....I hate you...I really do. There was another guy who just got a full set-up (turbo's, suspension, breaks, etc) done who had it....and I hated him too. lol

It's in the works for the CEL's I talked to Dave about it last night. Soon, soon, soon so he says.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
ibkarlito

You have PM.

PM - Back at you bro!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
ibkarlito

hey now....I didnt have to twist your arm.................too much

.....I still have a solid tune on my F-Con to get your car up and running and to a tuner
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ibkarlito
hey now....I didnt have to twist your arm.................too much

.....I still have a solid tune on my F-Con to get your car up and running and to a tuner
No arm twisting at all. Karl just happened to show me the Quaife while I was at Frank's and just happened to bring the meth kit I told him I had decided against buying. Such quality parts and prices, I was hooked. I know someone needs that f-con under the tree for Christmas.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
ibkarlito

No arm twisting at all. Karl just happened to show me the Quaife while I was at Frank's and just happened to bring the meth kit I told him I had decided against buying. Such quality parts and prices, I was hooked.
well.....since you put it that way - I cant argue with that. That's pretty much how it went down

I know someone needs that f-con under the tree for Christmas.

Sorry for being OT - thanks for all the plugs bro!!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

So today I attempted another DIY project with a little help from two of my guys from work. All this new HP coming soon and stock brakes.....I think not!!! Time for a little upgrade, but step one is removal of the stock calipers, lines and rotors. I found most of the info I needed in this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...r-removal.html - Post #14 is what you need.

Pics:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc03944.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc03948.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc03950.jpg

The fronts were really easy just like everyone says, but the rears are a little tighter and then we hit a snag when the rear rotors would not come off, even after a little WD40 and a rubber mallet . Frank Hill to the rescue....I called Frank and he picked up on the 2nd ring. He told me to clean the sand out of my vag and hit the hat square with the mallet and it should release. Two good cracks and the rotors came right off. Customer service on a Saturday morning - FTW!! Thanks again Frank!!

Everything is labeled and bagged for its new owner. I will make the swap this week for an upgrade, nothing too baller, just something a little better.

Took a couple of shots of my 19" 5Zigen rims while I was working. I think these may get my Mid-A membership revoked - Volks may be manditory .

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc03945.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc03946.jpg

Part 2 of the swap in a few weeks, the holiday is slowing things down a bit. I have been purchasing parts from forum members for this build and the quick conversion to stock for PA emissions before the motor and turbo swap and I will show details as the parts arrive. Todays cost for my boys help - 1 case of Yuengling Lager

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress