Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

****** TTG35forT - Rev 2.0 ******

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stormcrow
Sam is a busy guy. You really have to stay on top of him and keep yourself top of mind or he will forget all about you in the mayhem that is his daily life. *haha* Do like I did...text, call, email, snail mail, and send smoke signals every few hours. He will get you what you need.
I agree.... Just text him... He always responds to me that way.

Nice looking car Jeremy.... Send me pic of the install.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
wow, OIL leaked on coated bolts and caused them to corrode....that's interesting.
No, oil did not leak on them. The oil leaked out of the container in which they were stored. The L19s corrode very easy and should be stored in oil. Also, you should avoid touching them with your bare hands. Remember, since the oil leaked out of the container in which they were stored, they sat open to the air, for nearly 1-1/2 years. Florida is a very humid place, especially in summer. That's why Japtrix encased them in oil. Once the oil leaked out, however, there was no protection against the humidity. Roger could have kept silent about this, but he didn't, and is replacing the L19s with no additional charge to me. So, he is taking care of this issue, and it was unexpected.

FYI, from ARP regarding the L19 material:

"This is a premium steel that is processed to deliver superior strength and fatigue properties. L19 is a very high strength material compared to 8740 and ARP2000 and is capable of delivering clamp loads in the 230,000-260,000 psi range. It is primarily used in short track and drag racing applications where inertia loads exceed the clamping capability of ARP2000. Like most high strength, quench and temper steels – L19 requires special care during manufacturing to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. This material is easily contaminated and subject to stress corrosion. It must be kept well-oiled and not exposed to moisture." Emphasis added.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-31-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
I agree.... Just text him... He always responds to me that way.
Overall, Japtrix and GTM have been, and I think will continue to be, good shops to work with. I'm just getting frustrated at the amount of time that this project is taking and I am venting that frustration. Some of the delay is due to changes I have requested along the way, but some is not.

I sincerely mean no offense to Roger or Sam, and overall they both have been good to work with. In fact, I have developed friendships with both of them. Moreover, they have had to deal with alot from me, especially my consistent attention to detail, as well as all of the changes that I have thrown at them along the course of this build.

When I first ordered the turbo kit, I had no idea that all of the piping on the intake side was stainless steel. When I found this out, I just about **** my drawers. I'm trying to keep the weight that I am adding to the front of the car minimal to keep the f/r weight balance as close to optimal as I can considering all of the modifications that I am doing.

Sam was very kind in that he offered to replace the stainless steel tubing on the compressor side of the FI system with aluminum tubing. That was a big sense of relief. We sent back the original stainless steel tubing a while ago. When the motor shipped, GTM still did not have the aluminum tubing available. He again sent stainless steel tubing and asked us to use that for the time being, and he indicated that he will provide the aluminum tubing later on. Roger's concern is that if we try to replace all of that tubing later on down the road without dropping the motor, my new paint job in the engine bay may get scratched up a bit. I don't want to risk that, and I don't want to incur increased costs by dropping out the motor to do the replacements at a later point in time. So, I really would like to get the aluminum tubing into Japtrix before the motor goes back in.

Sam is very busy, but hopefully he will come back with good news for me this week.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-31-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Overall, Japtrix and GTM have been, and I think will continue to be, good shops to work with. I'm just getting frustrated at the amount of time that this project is taking and I am venting that frustration. Some of the delay is due to changes I have requested along the way, but some is not.

I sincerely mean no offense to Roger or Sam, and overall they both have been good to work with. In fact, I have developed friendships with both of them. Moreover, they have had to deal with alot from me, especially my consistent attention to detail, as well as all of the changes that I have thrown at them along the course of this build.

When I first ordered the turbo kit, I had no idea that all of the piping on the intake side was stainless steel. When I found this out, I just about **** my drawers. I'm trying to keep the weight that I am adding to the front of the car minimal to keep the f/r weight balance as close to optimal as I can considering all of the modifications that I am doing.

Sam was very kind in that he offered to replace the stainless steel tubing on the compressor side of the FI system with aluminum tubing. That was a big sense of releaf. We sent back the original stainless steel tubing a while ago. When the motor shipped, GTM still did not have the aluminum tubing available. He again sent stainless steel tubing and asked us to use that for the time being, and he indicated that he will provide the aluminum tubing later on. Roger's concern is that if we try to replace all of that tubing later on down the road without dropping the motor, my new paint job in the engine bay may get scratched up a bit. I don't want to risk that, and I don't want to incur increased costs by dropping out the motor to do the replacements at a later point in time. So, I really would like to get the aluminum tubing into Japtrix before the motor goes back in.

Sam is very busy, but hopefully he will come back with good news for me this week.
I really don't see changing out the piping later as much of a big deal, regarding paint. If the installer takes his time and is careful, you should be fine, honestly.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No, oil did not leak on them. The oil leaked out of the container in which they were stored. ].
i misread then. i understand what happened now.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:17 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Redoing all the piping with the motor in the car is going to be a lot of work for some poor person. Maybe you can just get the piping coming off the turbos in aluminum for now? The rest should be easy to swap later, on a lift.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rcdash
Redoing all the piping with the motor in the car is going to be a lot of work for some poor person. Maybe you can just get the piping coming off the turbos in aluminum for now? The rest should be easy to swap later, on a lift.
I guess I need to wait and see what Sam and Roger recommend. Welding aluminum does take a very experienced hand. In a worst case scenario, it may be that we need to hire an outside vendor to duplicate the compressor side piping in aluminum. Obviously, I hope this is not the case.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I need to wait and see what Sam and Roger recommend. Welding aluminum does take a very experienced hand. In a worst case scenario, it may be that we need to hire an outside vendor to duplicate the compressor side piping in aluminum. Obviously, I hope this is not the case.
welding aluminum is not as difficult as rumored...... of course it depends on the welder and also the machine. Some machines are alot easier to use than others. I have found that an inverter machine is much easier to use on thin aluminum than a transformer machine. the ability to focus the arc better and the ability to use a pointed tungsten are huge advantanges for an inverter machine.......on the flip side, a highly experienced welder can overcome the limits of the transformer machine. You should be able to find plenty of competant aluminum wlder in Palm BEach county. With all the boat builders/boat accessory companies in FLorida, we have plenty of good aluminum welders around....and most of them are hungry for work these days.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
IslandZavage

Hey Terry,

If it will help you get things moving I have a brand new set (New In Box) of L19's here available if you need them. Then when they get your replacement they can just give that too me or hold them seeing as how their doing my motor aswell. They never seen humidity and stayed in the house. I keep adding new things too my build and with buying my house this week my time for the build got pushed back.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Hey Terry,

If it will help you get things moving I have a brand new set (New In Box) of L19's here available if you need them. Then when they get your replacement they can just give that too me or hold them seeing as how their doing my motor aswell. They never seen humidity and stayed in the house. I keep adding new things too my build and with buying my house this week my time for the build got pushed back.
Thank you, Paco!!!

I received several e-mails from John yesterday and today. I think he now has the L19's in hand, or they will be there shortly.

It looks like this is going to get moving fairly soon. I need to check with Roger on when we are going to assemble the rest of the motor. Hopefully we can start on Sunday. He wants to do it when the shop is closed so that we don't get any distractions. Also, Sunday works best for me since I am very busy at work this month.

I also need to get Roger and Sam in touch with each other regarding the compressor side tubing. I'll try to coordinate that today. If Sam's guy knows how to weld aluminum, I don't think it should be a big issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I spoke with Sam. The aluminum intake piping is on order, and he is just waiting on his vendor. Hopefully it will be in soon. If not, we'll probably install the SS tubing and change it out later. We'll just have to be very careful not to scratch up the engine bay.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
IslandZavage

kool, glad its coming together. Im leaving the country week after next (only a week or two there) and i plan to take all my parts to them to store/start my build. If you need anything that delays your build just swap it with my parts. Our builds differ alot so there's only a few things i can offer you. Your good peeps so i can do that for you.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Terry did you use a block guard or something else to close up the deck?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Terry did you use a block guard or something else to close up the deck?
GTM made a custom block guard, welded it in place, and then routered out the oil passages.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Update: Japtrix is still backed up with work, so it looks like another week or two before they get started on my car. It is good for them that they have so much work, bad for me. The motor arrived there April 13.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 06-04-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Its a shame the two shops couldn't communicate a little better to avoid this down time. I know how you feel Terry, I've been down this road before as well
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Cass007
Its a shame the two shops couldn't communicate a little better to avoid this down time. I know how you feel Terry, I've been down this road before as well
I hope that once they start on my car, they stay on it until it is done. I'll keep the thread updated with the progress.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Elperuano

Update: Japtrix is still backed up with work, so it looks like another week or two before they get started on my car. It is good for them that they have so much work, bad for me. The motor arrived there April 13.
Yea i saw it there when I went to get my first tune which was i think a lil more than a month ago.... Terry I hope u get top notch **** meng, you deserve it!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM
maximariceboi

update? how are you Terry?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
update? how are you Terry?
maybe they decided to revamp and are working on version 3.0

Quick Reply: ****** TTG35forT - Rev 2.0 ******