Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what do you think I need for making high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
JWT is the only company that has posted significant information about cams for our cars. If I had links or cam information from BC, or any other cam manufacturer, I would post them too. Then, everyone could read it and evaluate it. If someone feels so inclined to do a technical analysis on the information, they could do that too! But try to find any such infomration from any other manufacturers who make cams for our cars, If you find it, post it.

On that note, you obviously disagree with what the JWT pdf says. Please review it and post an analysis of it to clarify the problems with it.
I don't have the need nor desire to do an in depth analysis of a bunch of JWT pdf docs. Nor will I be baited into doing so.

Needless to say, I think the credibility of any JWT publications should be taken with a grain of salt due to Jim's questionable integrity and business practices. go-fast already showed why by pointing out the fallacy of the "must use JWT springs" statement.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Rude, you seem so polarized against Jim Wolf. What's the inside scoop with him? Just because he promotes his own stuff doesn't make him evil. That's just natural, isn't it? I do think what he does publish is more in his own self interest than those of the community, but at least it's some data rather than just a product. GTM did some before/after testing and shared that. I didn't see anything at all published from BC but they undeniably ended up with high performance cams. Alberto's and Hal's cars are testaments to that.

Of course he did do business with Scott... (ok, disregard this last post, )
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Hey, if it gets go-fast to share some knowledge with us, let him be!

I would love to know what go-fast thinks about the various cams out today and which he'd recommend and why. I'll agree that there's often not a single right or wrong answer (i.e. "best" cam), but selecting the best cam for a particular application based on published specs is true voodoo and any insight (from Terry or go-fast) might be helpful in understanding it. I've read about concepts like jerk, splines, continuous snap, etc. but not of that stuff is published. The marketing data that is published doesn't help me evaluate the cams other than in generalities that Terry speaks to (about duration, lift, separation angle). How quickly the valve opens/closes would be another, but you can't really tell that from the specs. Or can you? THAT WOULD BE RAMP RATE,MANUAL CHECKING ONLY.......SORRY

So, go-fast, how does anyone figure out what cam to buy? (other than trial and error from those who have tried it). Any insights on the thought process you go through would be appreciated.
you dont select a cam to fit the engine......you build the engine around the cam.this is why stocker cams have shown rediculous power (without the rpm range of course).think about the #'s from boosted stock cams and rightfully be in awe.we all know the rules: duration increases charge size and allows time to evacuate the chamber,but go overboard and dynamic pressures will go down as you drag fresh charge out with the waste,you bandaid this with an increased seperation angle that gives you more time between valve movements and BAM bottom end starts to go away while increasing ve up top.in effect you are just playing within a predetermined range,where do you want your power?

my attitude is to max out simple profile's before you try to go big,sometimes the extra 50hp on the dyno with a "big" cam isn't worth spit if driveability dissapears or mid-range.

i know i speak in generalizations but this info is gospel and applies to each cam manufacturers range of bumpsticks.so don't compare brands,compare how well a cam "does everything" with your combo (or similiar).

dissregard all i say if your goal is a dyno queen with "mega" numbers.if you actually drive your car.....less is usually more.(hint:trust the guy who suggests stock cams and ignore the guy with magic springs)

EDIT: torque curve...it's all about torque curve.when you find a cam that has a linear torque curve buy it,stock,aftermarket does not matter.this will be the most smiles per mile

Last edited by go-fast; 09-18-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I don't think the issue is about "magic springs", it's about springs whoes harmonic frequencies will not be counter-productive to a particular cam profile. JWT claims to have done the research and analysis concerning this, which is more that can be said for some of the other manufacturers.

When I started my first build, I was looking at Tomei cams. I actually had a Tomei distributor tell me NOT to use their valve springs because he had seen more spring failures with these than he was comfortable with.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
go-fast
Banned

I don't think the issue is about "magic springs", it's about springs whoes harmonic frequencies will not be counter-productive to a particular cam profile. JWT claims to have done the research and analysis concerning this, which is more that can be said for some of the other manufacturers.

When I started my first build, I was looking at Tomei cams. I actually had a Tomei distributor tell me NOT to use their valve springs because he had seen more spring failures with these than he was comfortable with.
tomei was likely using china springs and he knew it,it is not a "harmonic" thing it's a qc, material issue.so jw uses quality springs,if you use other springs of quality they are going to be just as "harmonicaly balanced" hence the snicker, snicker
Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Hey, if it gets go-fast to share some knowledge with us, let him be!

I would love to know what go-fast thinks about the various cams out today and which he'd recommend and why. I'll agree that there's often not a single right or wrong answer (i.e. "best" cam), but selecting the best cam for a particular application based on published specs is true voodoo and any insight (from Terry or go-fast) might be helpful in understanding it. I've read about concepts like jerk, splines, continuous snap, etc. but not of that stuff is published. The marketing data that is published doesn't help me evaluate the cams other than in generalities that Terry speaks to (about duration, lift, separation angle). How quickly the valve opens/closes would be another, but you can't really tell that from the specs. Or can you?

So, go-fast, how does anyone figure out what cam to buy? (other than trial and error from those who have tried it). Any insights on the thought process you go through would be appreciated.
I think that it has been mostly a matter of trial and error by most guys. Fortunately for new customers, most shops have accumulated the experience of those trials and errors through previous customers and shop builds. Which is why you should go with the cam that your shop recommends for your desired FI setup and power goals. They have the benefit of experience and have found cams that they prefer.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
I don't have the need nor desire to do an in depth analysis of a bunch of JWT pdf docs. Nor will I be baited into doing so.

Needless to say, I think the credibility of any JWT publications should be taken with a grain of salt due to Jim's questionable integrity and business practices. go-fast already showed why by pointing out the fallacy of the "must use JWT springs" statement.

For as much as you bash JWT, and me for recommending their cams for certain applications, you can't even point out what is wrong or what you think is wrong their cams???

Do you mean that all of this bashing of JWT is solely because JWT did business with VRT and RA??? And bashing me because you can't understand my posts in the other thread that got too technical for you???

I'm done responding to you RudeG. You are a complete waste of time.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Rude, you seem so polarized against Jim Wolf. What's the inside scoop with him? Just because he promotes his own stuff doesn't make him evil. That's just natural, isn't it? I do think what he does publish is more in his own self interest than those of the community, but at least it's some data rather than just a product. GTM did some before/after testing and shared that. I didn't see anything at all published from BC but they undeniably ended up with high performance cams. Alberto's and Hal's cars are testaments to that.

Of course he did do business with Scott... (ok, disregard this last post, )
BINGO!

Jim continued to do business with both VRT and RA well after the criminal wrong doings were exposed and brought to his attention NUMEROUS TIMES! He still does business with Scott to this day and let's him use the JWT facilities for tuning etc. even though Scott has been banned from every VQ related forum except Fresh Alloy.

Therefore, Jim has no credibility IMO. His technical pdf docs mean jack squat to me.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM
XKR

I just came in here to take a look around and what do I find....People using the word VooDoo (TM)...which is Trademark by me

Not to mention the food fight going on

Raj and Go-fast.......did you not notice the (TM) next to the word VooDOO

Last edited by XKR; 09-18-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

For as much as you bash JWT, and me for recommending their cams for certain applications, you can't even point out what is wrong or what you think is wrong their cams???

Do you mean that all of this bashing of JWT is solely because JWT did business with VRT and RA??? And bashing me because you can't understand my posts in the other thread that got too technical for you???

I'm done responding to you RudeG. You are a complete waste of time.
I never said they make bad cams or products. I said that I'm not convinced they are superior and gave my reasons for why I don't support their company... regardless of the merit of their product. And as I already told you... the fact that the top shops with the top high power builds use BC cams is good enough for me.

And NO... Even though I know you mean well... I don't value or appreciate your incessant hijacking of threads with speculation that is not backed up with real world experience concerning that part. When I recommend cams to someone, it's because I have seen dyno sheets and/or real world experience (ie customer reviews) with that cam; not some mathematical equation or company pdf document about how it should perform. Like I said before, I think you are muddying up threads with speculation and JWT sales garble. If you're butthurt by that, so be it.

Lasty, if you want to support a company that was and continues to be complacent in several years of criminal fraud that was conducted on members of our community, that is your prerogative.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by go-fast
you dont select a cam to fit the engine......you build the engine around the cam.this is why stocker cams have shown rediculous power (without the rpm range of course).think about the #'s from boosted stock cams and rightfully be in awe.we all know the rules: duration increases charge size and allows time to evacuate the chamber,but go overboard and dynamic pressures will go down as you drag fresh charge out with the waste,you bandaid this with an increased seperation angle that gives you more time between valve movements and BAM bottom end starts to go away while increasing ve up top.in effect you are just playing within a predetermined range,where do you want your power?

my attitude is to max out simple profile's before you try to go big,sometimes the extra 50hp on the dyno with a "big" cam isn't worth spit if driveability dissapears or mid-range.

i know i speak in generalizations but this info is gospel and applies to each cam manufacturers range of bumpsticks.so don't compare brands,compare how well a cam "does everything" with your combo (or similiar).

dissregard all i say if your goal is a dyno queen with "mega" numbers.if you actually drive your car.....less is usually more.(hint:trust the guy who suggests stock cams and ignore the guy with magic springs)

EDIT: torque curve...it's all about torque curve.when you find a cam that has a linear torque curve buy it,stock,aftermarket does not matter.this will be the most smiles per mile
LOL That sounds very familiar to what I heard Jason Siebels tell me a while ago. He likes the stock VQ cams. He said something to the effect of... if you want more power or top end, use a bigger turbo instead of a bigger cam. However, the long block I purchased from another Intense customer already had Nismo R cams in it.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ ya and thats why stock cam cars make AWESOME power past 6500 rpms
Old 09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by go-fast

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^ ya and thats why stock cam cars make AWESOME power past 6500 rpms
Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

go-fast, thanks for the insights.

Originally Posted by XKR
I just came in here to take a look around and what do I find....People using the word VooDoo (TM)...which is Trademark by me

Not to mention the food fight going on

Raj and Go-fast.......did you not notice the (TM) next to the word VooDOO
Mike, very sorry. All use of the trademarked word is hereby suspended until proper licensing is in place.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL! i mean who wants mega power after spending 10 large on a built motor and another 10 large on tubro kit and accessories!

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by str8dum1
LOL! i mean who wants mega power after spending 10 large on a built motor and another 10 large on tubro kit and accessories!
it's sad to see you mock honesty,if you want someone to stroke your ego you shouldn't read my posts.usable power is the name of the game and to chase hp without consideration for the torque curve is the stuff of dum dum's.

what is the point of 700hpif you cant put it down for the first three gears?when you reach the hp limits of the chassis,you stop being productive,the car becomes a death trap,i liken it to a rocket powered skate board.who cares if it makes 2000hp if it's focus is so narrow it's unusable.

i'm not saying a 1000hp z is wrong,on the contrary the achievement should be commended,but is this a reasonable street car?no,but one helluva track car.my point is a 650hp z w/stock cams is enough to liquify the tires and a smallish aftermarket cam with a better curve is great too.but you are at the limits of the chassis and should consider your motivation for the quest for more with a dd.

if you want to **** your money on hp that has no ability to get you down the road faster have at it,you'll not impress me or anyone else that knows what the hell their talking about.make outstanding power with unsuspecting parts and click off some et's that make dyno queen's cry and you'll get my attention.

mike,sorry about the voodoo thing i'll contact lunati and inform them to cease and desist immediately.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

As you now go-fast, it's a balance. Even with the C2 cams, my 305 Toyo R888s were breaking loose in 3rd gear when the turbos spooled up (granted, the camber was set up for road racing, I think around 2.5 deg. or so). In my particular situation, a cam with a little more overlap does two things, as you probably also know: it will lower the torque at that rpm, which should alleviate some of the wheel spin, and it will provide more torque in the higher rpms. Thus, there should be greater usable torque accross the entire rpm range. Had I been running cams with less overlap than the C2s, the wheel spin in 3rd gear may have been even worse, and I would have had less top end power. For my build, that would be very counter-productive.

Of course, this has to be balanced with the engine's displacement, the turbos that are being used, the intake plenum, and everything else in the build. For example, when I had the stock intake plenum with a Motordyne 5/16" spacer, 3rd gear held without wheel spin. When I switched to the Cosworth plenum, added a little boost, and re-tuned, things changed.

It is the search for the right balance that makes every bit of information we can get about the cams so important. That is why we should push BC and the other cam manufacturers to publish more information about their cams. Otherwise, it is a shot in the dark. Yes, there are other builds to use as a guide, but I don't know of any other build exactly like mine. That's why critical thought and analysis becomes important. You had previoiusly mentioned NASCAR builds. Can you imagine trying to compete in NASCAR and trying to find an advantage to exploit without having someone to work through the numbers? A lot of engineering goes into NASCAR, and every other top form of motorsports.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

With regard to the "magic" valve spring comments, here is a video of an engine with the wrong valve springs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1...eature=related

This video is related to valve float. I wish I could find the video where it shows a valve spring with such a bad resonance that it actually breaks, but it doesn't appear to be available any more.

Is the solution always just to increase the spring rate? Perhaps that always works. Even if it does, is it the best solution? It seems to me that the best solution is a valve spring that is selected to match the cam it is working with, and one which has been tested with that cam. For this reason, I personally would not use JWT valve springs on BC stage 2 or 3 cams, nor would I use BC valve springs on JWT's bigger cams. Would the two be interchangable? Maybe, but I certainly would not want to be the first person to try it out.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
go-fast
Banned

As you now go-fast, it's a balance. Even with the C2 cams, my 305 Toyo R888s were breaking loose in 3rd gear when the turbos spooled up (granted, the camber was set up for road racing, I think around 2.5 deg. or so). In my particular situation, a cam with a little more overlap does two things, as you probably also know: it will lower the torque at that rpm, which should alleviate some of the wheel spin, and it will provide more torque in the higher rpms. Thus, there should be greater usable torque accross the entire rpm range. Had I been running cams with less overlap than the C2s, the wheel spin in 3rd gear may have been even worse.

Of course, this has to be balanced with the engine's displacement, the turbos that are being used, and everything else in the build. It is this search for the right balance that makes every bit of information we can get about the cams so important. That is why we should push BC and the other cam manufacturers to publish more information about their cams. Otherwise, it is a shot in the dark. Yes, there are other builds to use as a guide, but I don't know of any other build exactly like mine. That's why critical thought and analysis becomes important. You had previoiusly mentioned NASCAR builds. Can you imagine trying to compete in NASCAR and trying to find an advantage to exploit without having someone to work through the numbers? A lot of engineering goes into NASCAR, and every other top form of motorsports.
the first critical bit of info needed is jw doesn't have special harmonic springs.the second is cam card info is a loose description when it comes to identifying a cam.third but not least,motors should be built around a cam design,you can't just put a bigger cam in and expect it to work

i know what you are asking for and i told you 12 hrs ago,the only way to get the info you seek is to map YOUR cams personally.you will then have an acurate baseline and be able to use other datalogs to fine tune to a more desireable profile based on your motors individual needs.

i have been very accomodating to you especially considering this conversation opened with you telling me i don't know what i'm talking about.i put that aside and helped you anyway,but i'm concluding that you don't want to "get it" and am giving up.g'luck

there is no answer to "who makes the best cam",every app is different(even with similiar parts)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

^^^

Actually, the conversation opened up with you telling me JW needs to be beaten over the head with the cams, or something along those lines.

Also, my questions were rhetorical.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-18-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: what do you think I need for making high hp?