Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
you seem like a nice enough guy but to insinuate that your success with sleeves on the street is the norm is misleading.between halfa$$ed machine work,halfa$$ed assembly and a horrible mis-application of sleeves vq owners have been fleeced of tens of thousands of dollars.

good god people stop trying to sleeve street vq's the refresh rate is too long(it's usually when you go pop).

you don't have to have a 6.6 sec vq (notice i didn't say z) or know someone who does to understand gasket shear and the thermal differences between aluminum and steel.

to keep it simple:

vq sleeves track good

vq sleeves street bad
Thanks a lot pal, but I think that you have misread my post, as that is not any where close to the truth at all. That is not what I meant and that is not what I wrote. Your comments are way off base, as my only crime here was to share with you my personal experience so you will not make the mistake of getting your Z re-sleeved, or anyone else, for that matter.

....even then, re-sleeving the way we know it as, is believe-you-me old tech.

So why would I even suggest to you to get your Z re-sleeved?????? Vinny would laugh at me.....for goodness sake, why would I do something like that.

You're barking up the wrong tree, my good man

Or am I the one in denial!?

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 04-05-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
I have a fully built VQ35DE sleeved with ported heads, which did over 1000 pulls on the dyno in a one year span, with absolutely no issues but only oil changes. No overheating issues and no lifted heads, never changed the gaskets, ever.
THIS insinuates that sleeves provide reliability.........your circumstance is not the norm and the uninformed will take this as proof of such.Poor performace of sleeves on street cars is well documented by the trail of carnage on this forum.

You would consider your car a street car right?I think i understood your post......

1. your car has been reliable with sleeves

2. but only because your sleeves are super voodoo vinny sleeves

3. if people bought sleeves from tony they could share your success

4. your hypersensitive to dissenting points of view

I'm not sure how nice you are anymore
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^oh boy here we go again!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
tylerxfire

just read this whole thread...I am on a stock block so i cannot comment on sleeved built blocks, but i will say vinny is a great guy and does great work so anyone who wants a sleeved block should not hesitate to get in contact with him..If its not something you want to do then dont, easy as that but being on here and arguing like little kids is not getting anything done and not very informative...I will say there are very many vtr motors in Z's and G's running around daily at over 500whp easy..

im sure if anyone really wanted some answers they could contact vinny directly..give him a call....they also offer unsleeved builds so im sure he will have some info. for any questions anyone has..

Last edited by tylerxfire; 04-06-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

all im goin to say is i had my block sleeved by gtm and it failed on the dyno....then my block cracked.... imo under 800whp stay away from sleeves
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by eltness350
all im goin to say is i had my block sleeved by gtm and it failed on the dyno....then my block cracked.... imo under 800whp stay away from sleeves
maybe the person or persons installing you're sleeves HAS NO CLUE how to properly install sleeves

god damn people haven't we seen enough how many examples do we need...

one or two shops keep building motors that fail and one or two shops build motors that dont fail.. hello wake up maybe we should stop going to the shops that FAIL!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
maybe the person or persons installing you're sleeves HAS NO CLUE how to properly install sleeves

god damn people haven't we seen enough how many examples do we need...

one or two shops keep building motors that fail and one or two shops build motors that dont fail.. hello wake up maybe we should stop going to the shops that FAIL!!!
i hate to say this but GTM sleeved motors dont have a great track record.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by Nexx
You wanna research that a little better??
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

THIS insinuates that sleeves provide reliability.........your circumstance is not the norm and the uninformed will take this as proof of such.Poor performace of sleeves on street cars is well documented by the trail of carnage on this forum.
You would consider your car a street car right?I think i understood your post......
1. your car has been reliable with sleeves
2. but only because your sleeves are super voodoo vinny sleeves
3. if people bought sleeves from tony they could share your success
4. your hypersensitive to dissenting points of view
I'm not sure how nice you are anymore
This sounds like the History channel on BC Battles, as the use of carnage, over exaggerates the fall out of re-sleeved VQs.

Taking my words/phrases out of context to prove your point is your prerogative; but that doesn’t validate my true sentiments about the subject at hand.

My post in the context as was presented on 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM includes the following operating phrases.

Sleeved blocks are more suited for competitive purposes, either drag strips or road racing, and I do not mean “street racing;” I meant racing on qualified race tracks.

And for clarification I am not encouraging members within this community or any other community to “street race.”

And obviously one needs to realize that drag racing and road racing; each has their own cooling and tuning design perimeters requirements.

On my post of 02-19-2010 @ 01:11 AM I stated the following:

Whether you sleeve your VQ or not, depend on your objectives and goals that you wish to achieve. But to say that sleeved blocks causes engine failure, based upon your own bad experiences is misleading and totally biased.
And again I qualified my statements, by impressing that it all depend on your objectives and goals that you wish to achieve; whether you should re-sleeve or not.

Is it “super voodoo?” We don’t chant around in the middle of the night or anything like that, as it is all based on science and technology, blah, blah….
No not with just any tony but it must be “Tony Beyond” state-of-the-art engineer.

If you want the power and performance for street and track, the VTR stage I would suffice, and if you’re want anything more powerful the VTR stage II, in the 800 to 900 range. But in all honesty we have not yet fully tested the limits of the stage II.

The VTR Stage III which involves the taboo word, or should I say the most misunderstood engineering terminology/design “re-sleeving,” is best for a pro track car, as it could either be packaged for drags, or if you wish, road racing.

Am I insinuating that re-sleeving is everyone’s best bet, absolutely not; in fact I am all for Stage II because I would love to tour cross country and still have the bite for the tracks when desired. That is the beauty of engine management devices like the Hydra, one can have the best of both worlds.

Let’s face it, I have yet to know anyone running in the low 8s with an H-gear shift; so what is the point of a re-sleeved race block. Other considerations would be cost vs need.

Finally, I have never been diagnosed with hypersensitivity and as for, “dissenting points” as if you mean in lay man terms, difference of opinion, there is really none present.

This post and your post is merely clarification. You are most welcome to state your case and no one should fear difference of opinions.

Mea culpa

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 04-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by Nexx
I can't comment on GTM, as I do not know much about them, however, I can empathies with you.

My first 3 years with the Zee, have mostly been spent on the usual very costly learning experiences, than of 'cos, there were those who did not know what the Hell they were doing, yes those so called experts; and the ones that kill you are those that you have bought and paid for, for products/service that you don't get to see.

Caveat emptor
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by eltness350
I would like to hear about Your sleaved block cracking on the dyno, why don't you shed some more lights on what happened, pics, specs, cause of failure .

Sam

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 04-06-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
go-fast
Banned

This sounds like the History channel on BC Battles, as the use of carnage, over exaggerates the fall out of re-sleeved VQs.

Taking my words/phrases out of context to prove your point is your prerogative; but that doesn’t validate my true sentiments about the subject at hand.

My post in the context as was presented on 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM includes the following operating phrases.

Sleeved blocks are more suited for competitive purposes, either drag strips or road racing, and I do not mean “street racing;” I meant racing on qualified race tracks.

And for clarification I am not encouraging members within this community or any other community to “street race.”

And obviously one needs to realize that drag racing and road racing; each has their own cooling and tuning design perimeters requirements.

On my post of 02-19-2010 @ 01:11 AM I stated the following:

And again I qualified my statements, by impressing that it all depend on your objectives and goals that you wish to achieve; whether you should re-sleeve or not.

Is it “super voodoo?” We don’t chant around in the middle of the night or anything like that, as it is all based on science and technology, blah, blah….
No not with just any tony but it must be “Tony Beyond” state-of-the-art engineer.

If you want the power and performance for street and track, the VTR stage I would suffice, and if you’re want anything more powerful the VTR stage II, in the 800 to 900 range. But in all honesty we have not yet fully tested the limits of the stage II.

The VTR Stage III which involves the taboo word, or should I say the most misunderstood engineering terminology/design “re-sleeving,” is best for a pro track car, as it could either be packaged for drags, or if you wish, road racing.

Am I insinuating that re-sleeving is everyone’s best bet, absolutely not; in fact I am all for Stage II because I would love to tour cross country and still have the bite for the tracks when desired. That is the beauty of engine management devices like the Hydra, one can have the best of both worlds.

Let’s face it, I have yet to know anyone running in the low 8s with an H-gear shift; so what is the point of a re-sleeved race block. Other considerations would be cost vs need.

Finally, I have never been diagnosed with hypersensitivity and as for, “dissenting points” as if you mean in lay man terms, difference of opinion, there is really none present.

This post and your post is merely clarification. You are most welcome to state your case and no one should fear difference of opinions.

Mea culpa

So quoting your first paragragh from your first post in this thread is me taking things out of context? is that even possible?Maybe you can explain what impression you where trying to make with that quote?

you may have an alter ego because you have supported both ends of this discussion so far.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM
go-fast
Banned

it's really tough nailing down where you stand on stuff....

quote=350Zzzz

I almost got pulled over last Saturday. I only managed to get away by turning into a private road and the officer stopped and decided not to follow. Moreover, he was not ready for me when I shot out, and his only option was to clock me with his speedometer

don't get me wrong,i'm not needling you.....but you seem to contradict yourself and i don't want people to misunderstand sleeves which i think is an important topic.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

So quoting your first paragragh from your first post in this thread is me taking things out of context? is that even possible?Maybe you can explain what impression you where trying to make with that quote?

you may have an alter ego because you have supported both ends of this discussion so far.
In a way you are quite correct, but the truth of the matter is that I have, had a Dalton re-sleeving job done and it was great; but now new and better technology is waiting out there.....what do you think I want?

And that is what I am saying.

But you will still need Dalton sleeves to do 6 seconds on the drag track and road course. And that is all we have to depend on, until electronics replaces the cams; which I believe will be the next major jump. Alternate and renewable fuel is history.

With time I will probably go stage III again and use my 03 350Z purely as a race car, being towed to the tracks.

Probably check out some of the 370Z roadsters touring with sport package.

You either learn to understand what I am saying, as I am done with this BS, actuall your BS.

Maybe we shall meet on the tracks, soon.

Enjoy
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
I would like to hear about Your sleaved block cracking on the dyno, why don't you shed some more lights on what happened, pics, specs, cause of failure .

Sam

Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I see, you have too much free time on your hands to the extent of pulling from another post to continue this charade. I did not know that you were that desperate .

Good Luck

And I apologise to zman1982 for highjacking your thread and going off topic.

Beware the man who says he is not the one needling you.

Caveat emptor

it's really tough nailing down where you stand on stuff....

quote=350Zzzz

I almost got pulled over last Saturday. I only managed to get away by turning into a private road and the officer stopped and decided not to follow. Moreover, he was not ready for me when I shot out, and his only option was to clock me with his speedometer

don't get me wrong,i'm not needling you.....but you seem to contradict yourself and i don't want people to misunderstand sleeves which i think is an important topic.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
go-fast
Banned

But you will still need Dalton sleeves to do 6 seconds on the drag track and road course. And that is all we have to depend on, until electronics replaces the cams; which I believe will be the next major jump. Alternate and renewable fuel is history.
if anyone is mucking up this thread it's you with suedo vtr marketing,flip-flop posts and little gems like the quote above.

..............now i'm done with your bs.

fortune cookie say's
Beware the man who says he is not the one needling you.

Last edited by go-fast; 04-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a way you are quite correct, but the truth of the matter is that I have, had a Dalton re-sleeving job done and it was great; but now new and better technology is waiting out there.....what do you think I want?

And that is what I am saying.

With time I will probably go stage III again and use my 03 350Z purely as a race car, being towed to the tracks.

Probably check out some of the 370Z roadsters touring with sport package.

You either learn to understand what I am saying, as I am done with this BS, actuall your BS.

Maybe we shall meet on the tracks, soon.

Enjoy
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
You wanna research that a little better??
maybe you should do the same. out of the all the sleeved block failures ive read on this forum its been built by GTM. now there might be a good explanation for this since theyve probably built more sleeved VQ block then anyone else so the probability of failure is greater. in any case, its a cause for concern when sleeved blocks are failing a somewhat high rate at power levels far less then spec'd.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad