Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things never change; in any event I’ll bite and I shall afford you the benefit of the doubt, Alberto

Originally Posted by Alberto
How many miles on the setup?

What power levels?

How hard do you drive?

If you say hard, prove it
Presently my zee makes 642 whp and 632 torque, as that is all the JWT 700BB is capable of. Should I need more power I would have to either switch to the 850(s) or add NOS, or have the best of both worlds. Another option is to disable the internal wastegates, which could give me an additional 5 psi or so.

July 2003, at 800 miles I had the ATI supercharger installed by Avalon Racing up in New Hampshire and chalked up 30,000 miles with that setup; supercharger and stock motor making 400 whp.

Finally in 2005 into 2006 Vinny decided to convert the 6 second race car into a street/track 350Z. I do not recall the exact mileage that I chalked up with the stage III/JWT/split second box before the Hydra came into play.

My 1000 + pulls on the dyno were needed to test the first Hydras and building base maps for the street plus base maps for the tracks. Vinny then tweaked the base maps for track to make it car specific.

I myself ran with the PDA and SCCA crowd up at the Poconos and we also organized meets at ATCO and EnglishTown.

Otherwise you sound like another guy with a sleeved block who never races/rags his car or runs it at high boost and claims he has the secret to success. Sorry seen too many of those (cough:GTM:cough) in my day to believe it.
“…..claims he has the secret to success,” interesting that you should direct that statement to me, Alberto.

There were many others on this thread that by your standards made that same claim, anyone posting that they had good reliability and durability with built motors.

It is interesting that you singled me out. I wonder why?

In any event, I am only on this forum to share my personal experiences and to dispel unfounded myths and naysayers.

The first F1 option for the 350Z in 2003 were the ATI superchargers and even then the supposedly experts were relying on trial and error. Most of us were more or less the guinea pigs. I have been through more modification garages, mechanics, tuners and engine builders with my 350z, in the last 8 years than most Z owners.

I’ve had my share of bad experiences and I have learnt to identify the armatures from the experts/professional.

Whether you sleeve your VQ or not, depend on your objectives and goals that you wish to achieve. But to say that sleeved blocks causes engine failure, based upon your own bad experiences is misleading and totally biased.

Similar Turbocharged zees are prone to destructive tendencies, does that mean we should not meddle with forced inductions.

Obviously not.

As I’ve said before and I say it again, the strongest link is only as strong as the weakest link.

Sleeving a block does have its advantages and simultaneously it also has its trade offs.

If the expert is aware of what the trade offs are, one can generate a package that would harness the benefits in a sleeved engine and even neutralize the trade offs.

Now if a sleeved VQ achieves 6 seconds in a quarter mile, doesn’t that prove that one can harness the benefits without the trade offs?

Just goes to show that the "best of them" can and will make mistakes. We are all human...
Not necessarily, not when I am paying 20K to 30K for the job; the shop better know what they are doing. Being human and fallible is not an option.

You sound like a very nice and tolerant individual, as in my case I would have blown a fuse, big time.

However, if I the driver contributed to the engine failure, did not check my oil, using low octane fuel, etc. then I would have to take the blame; otherwise whoever built my engine will be held responsible.

Originally Posted by doug
....anyway.. if you really want to run cars at E-Town.. i will make the trip out so you can shut your fat mouth.. but talk to me when your car is done.. we know how Vinny loves them 4 year builds
Doug that is totally unnessary as that statement above is way off track and off topic.

I permitted my car for R & D, so 350Z enthusiasts do not have to go through the usual frustrating trial and error process.

The first Hydra was installed, tested and tweaked on my z. If you must know, I even travelled to Singapore in 2006 and actually met with the engineer who developed the Hydra management system.

The maps that are currently used in 350Z Hydras evolved from my base maps.

The hydra revisions, hardware and software evolved from the R&D on my z. The VTR stage I, II and III evolved from the R&D on my 350Z.

And, finally if you must know, for the last 2 years I have not driven my 350Z and it is only because I was diagnose with cancer and I was not permitted to drive. I am now need a living donor, for a transplant that I must have. Now if you wish to volunteer as a possible organ donor so I could mess around with my built 350Z and not be an absentee 350Z enthusiast for another 4 years.

I shall be most appreciative. But do not go around spreading unfounded rumors and mislead this community.

You have your youth and health, use it wisely.

Can’t we all work together on the forums and support the newbies joining the Zee and Gee community; and be more tolerant respectful of each other. Be more supportive rather than be belligerent, unnecessarily confrontational and abusive. I was out of the forums for quite some time, as I found it frustrating and a waste of time making enemies with members that I have never even met.

My apologies to all for the lengthy response.

Have fun with your Z and be comfortable interacting with other enthusiast, online.

G
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by eZg
^ specifically?
Vinny 10s built are all proprietary, with his specifications and presently available in 3 packages.

This is VTR’s bread and butter and I am not at liberty to divulge his patented design/s. But you may call him or suggest to your mod shop to contact Vinny directly.

What sort of built do you have?

G
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not singling you out, simply inquiring to your success if you wanted to share it as you posted you had it. I dont know how long you've been on the forums, but most high hp, hard driven, sleeved, STREET applications fail. Thats why Im asking you Q's.

1. You didnt answer my question on how many miles your setup has been that powerful/sleeved for, and if you truly dont know how can you claim success without that basic measurement of longevity?

2. I asked if you drove it hard and you tell me you set up events at Atco & Englishtown. Thats great, what were your times and at what power? How many runs down the strip?

3. All I hear in general from you is "Vinny can make it happen" well if you had more proof of mileage, 1/4 times, and that you abused the car with no issues I would somewhat agree with you, but without basics you had a lengthy reply telling me about a lot of things I didnt ask you about.

I am not discrediting Vinny or his 1/4 runs, the man put the Z's on the map and to date I still dont think anybody has been close to his achievements in the drag racing arena. But for you as a customer to claim he had success with a 6 sec drag car doesnt mean anything because drag cars/race cars are much different than high power street cars, as are the budgets, tweaking and support that generally go into each one.

Last, I am sorry to read of your personal battles, good luck in finding what you need and I hope you can enjoy your car in good health one day.

Last edited by Alberto; 02-19-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alberto, How do you feel about the you're motor that has been re evaluated by pf and the certain repairs made? Do you not feel as confident beating on the car as before since you experienced the brief overheat and relate this to the sleeves? Is that why you are warning people with sleeves that they will run into the same problem. Do the sleeves leave a bad taste in you're mouth. Plus, I know it has been cold and sporadically snowing from time to time but have you got a chance to drive the car? How do you feel? Will you be doing any events with the car this year at the track, or beating on it as much as you use to, or making vids like before. I just wanna hear you're thoughts since you got the car back from PF.

The only reason Im asking these questions is because it sounds to me that you are not happy with the way you're motor was built 1st or 2nd time and dont trust anyone anymore (which trust me I have been down this road before with other builds, I know how you feel). However I would just like to know you're thoughts no b.s If you dont feel like talking about it on the forums just pm me or dont answer at all I wont take offense. Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

PM'd you - thats OT
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Not singling you out, simply inquiring to your success if you wanted to share it as you posted you had it. I dont know how long you've been on the forums, but most high hp, hard driven, If you which to break off the stock sleeve from the block and resleeve, say with Darton sleeves you must take into consideration the changes in the perimeters. Thats why Im asking you Q's..
I have no problem should you have a question; but it does not mean that I have to give you the answer that you want.

Streetable high hp, hard driven, resleeved VQs fail just as with streetable high hp, hard driven, stock sleeved VQs. What does that say?

If you wish to break off the stock sleeve from the block and resleeve, say with Darton sleeves you must take into consideration the changes in the perimeters that you have caused, or should I say, that you have created. And, you need to compensate for the critical changes.

When Nissan cast the VQ blocks the sleeves were a single piece with the block.

Most resleeved VQ blocks just have a custom gasket to fit the newly resleeved bores, but most everything else stays the same, as how one would modify a non-resleeved block.

Dangerous mistake, as the perimeters on a resleeved block changes the Nissan VQ design drastically. And, unless you make the necessary corrections you are sitting on a time bomb.

1. You didnt answer my question on how many miles your setup has been that powerful/sleeved for, and if you truly dont know how can you claim success without that basic measurement of longevity?
The mileage chalked up on a built VQ is not the one and only denominator that indicates longevity, as there are more than one variable at play.

However, the pace that the car is put through may contribute to the standards for longevity on a built motor.

2. I asked if you drove it hard and you tell me you set up events at Atco & Englishtown. Thats great, what were your times and at what power? How many runs down the strip
That question has nothing to do with this thread, moreover how does my track times prove or disprove engine longevity?

But I don't mind telling you for your personal competitive needs that I did not fair too well on the drag strips. A couple of times my VDC kicked in unexpectedly. But once I recover then I shall focus on my times.

3. All I hear in general from you is "Vinny can make it happen" well if you had more proof of mileage, 1/4 times, and that you abused the car with no issues I would somewhat agree with you, but without basics you had a lengthy reply telling me about a lot of things I didn’t ask you about.
That is exactly my point, as the answers that you seek are for personal reasons and has no merit in forecasting the longevity of the motor.

I am not discrediting Vinny or his 1/4 runs, the man put the Z's on the map and to date I still dont think anybody has been close to his achievements in the drag racing arena. But for you as a customer to claim he had success with a 6 sec drag car doesnt mean anything because drag cars/race cars are much different than high power street cars, as are the budgets, tweaking and support that generally go into each one.
Alberto, I'll be very candid with you, anybody reading your posted sentiments on this thread will agree that you are in fact discrediting Vinny.

Every time one goes on the track the car is pushed to its limits and I do not see how pushing the VQ at 1,200/1,500 whp is not trashing on the car.

Every time one drives on the streets one does not go full throttle 100% I could never do that because I run out of space the minute I floor the throttle.

There has been 350Z/s that experienced stock sleeve failure on the track. But unless these drivers come forth to set the record straight, I do not feel that I am in a position to touch on the subject.

But heat becomes an issue on the streets, traffic, stop signs, idling, etc. And overheating solutions is not only adding a larger radiator, removing the thermostat, bigger hoses, modified piping. It is more than that. At one time people were reconnecting and extending the water flow piping in the rear of the block. But nothing seemed to work.

Last, I am sorry to read of your personal battles, good luck in finding what you need and I hope you can enjoy your car in good health one day.
Thank you for your well wishes.

I didn't make the tracks on that day as I was stuck in hospital.

But Vinny drove down and drove back up again in my Zee at the end of the day, after tracking the car.

Here is my ZeeOne in action.

That is Vinny, if he promises you a 10 second car, he will deliver a 10 second car.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 PM
AlwaysNBoost

Gerald great points!! Cant wait till track season opens up this year.. We have a strong line up of cars coming as you already know. I know you will make a full recovery and be ready to race..

Alberto, you have been a great help to the community and a very knowledgeable person keep up the good work.

All these points that have been explained by Gerald are to benefit the community. Sleeved or unsleeved the Vq has proven to be a great motor in the RIGHT HANDS! We should learn from the mistakes others have made and listen to the ones that have a correctly built motor that has been put through regorous testing, someone like Gerald that knows what they are doing and what they are talking about.

And we should not be mislead to believe that a shop/shops can build a correctly sleeved motor because of there fancy website/facility or advertisements trust me the answers to the overheats you will not find here just bandaid repairs or bs excuses, it's out there in the real life, with real engine builders!!

Good posts, Alberto and G
Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Elperuano

Damn what was that on the left lane on the first run? Looked like one of them old a$$ corollas!

I appreciate the knowledge of both drivers. I've read countless threads and its helped me out a lot.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

G-still no mileage numbers, and you still didnt tell me anything I didnt know.

Obviously if Vinny has the recipe to success he wouldnt share it, neither would you, I got it.

If he is as good as a few of you say, then I'll tell you what I told Sal, tell em to sponsor the forums and start putting some of these clown shops out of business

edit-even with a few VTR cars repping him on he forums, the skepticism will be high, because without Vinny explaining everything himself, not thru other people, most wont accept the idea of sleeves + street car + success, thats just going off of what others have accomplished. You can all surely undersand that.

Last edited by Alberto; 02-19-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

So sorry, presently VTR is extremely tied up, and unable to accept new orders, as he has all the work that he can handle. But do keep checking in for surprises and new developments.

And, maybe if things improve around here, when people are more respectful of others , more interested in expanding their knowledge. You may still have the opportunity to speak with the man himself, someday.

My priorities are very much different from yours, as I wonder what if I had the ability to take myself back into time, with what I know today and be your age, I could have had greatness.

G
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
wtk

...In response to the original thread question:
Was not-built for a year without any real problems, just the old power steering leak, which I replaced with a braided line.
Have had a built motor for 2 years, 20k miles, drive it every day, track it every once in a while, have not had to change anything but oil and spark plugs. Running APS TT with forged actuators, 505whp on just the actuators and mid 500s with the boost bumped up a bit. I'm trying to keep it reasonably conservative since I drive it so much...
So, overall I would say my personal experience has been good...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Elperuano

Uhh 2 years n only 20k? Thas not a lot of driving imho....
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
wtk

I have had my car for 5 years, it has 50k miles on it, it has been boosted for 3 years, the last 2 built, so ya... the math all works out.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Uhh 2 years n only 20k? Thas not a lot of driving imho....
It is all relative, but 10K/year is plenty of miles. Especially on a car that is most likely not a true DD. My Z will be 6 yrs old in August and it has 19,906 miles on it as of today. my highest mileage year was 2008 when I broke 5k miles. Last year I made it a mere 1k miles. in perspective, my daily racked up 3200 miles last year. Heck, my wife's car which is our most driven vehicle racked up about 10K last year.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
It is all relative, but 10K/year is plenty of miles. Especially on a car that is most likely not a true DD. My Z will be 6 yrs old in August and it has 19,906 miles on it as of today. my highest mileage year was 2008 when I broke 5k miles. Last year I made it a mere 1k miles. in perspective, my daily racked up 3200 miles last year. Heck, my wife's car which is our most driven vehicle racked up about 10K last year.
That cause you probably take the snowmobile to work part of the winter and can cut miles by driving acroos the lake into town. I used to live in Prior Lake
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
I was following Vinny very closely all through the rebuilt process and I know why he did not have overheating issues plaguing his built motors. Simple, he dealt with the problem right at the root and not the usual band-aid fixes.

did i hear someone say VOODOO?

The technology is so advanced today that engine builders have alternatives to replacing the sleeves. And, if you still decide to resleeve, make certain that the engine builder knows what he is doing. Most resleeving issues are always caused by inexperience builders.

couldn't agree more,doesn't change the fact that sleeves on the street are a waste and have more advantage for the machinist/builder than the customer.

In modifying an internal combustion, one must always remember that the strongest link is only as strong as its weakest link.

you sound like a fortune cookie

When you strengthen a part a component, simultaneously you are in fact creating a weak link somewhere along the chain.

you still sound like a fortune cookie

Unless the engine builder has personally built a VQ35DE, from ground up, and 6.6 sec in a quarter mile, as the end result; they are not anywhere near Vinny10’s league.

while i can appreciate your devotion to vinny this statement is nonsense and exposes your niavety

G
you seem like a nice enough guy but to insinuate that your success with sleeves on the street is the norm is misleading.between halfa$$ed machine work,halfa$$ed assembly and a horrible mis-application of sleeves vq owners have been fleeced of tens of thousands of dollars.

good god people stop trying to sleeve street vq's the refresh rate is too long(it's usually when you go pop).

you don't have to have a 6.6 sec vq (notice i didn't say z) or know someone who does to understand gasket shear and the thermal differences between aluminum and steel.

to keep it simple:

vq sleeves track good

vq sleeves street bad
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
zmedic16

^+1
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM
overZealous1

want the best advice from a true veteran, buy a different car!! had well into $100k into my Z and i did all the work! unless you love the build up (which i did) and have the extra dough, then go for it. the 350Z chassis is getting dated though and to dump so much money into it again would be assinine. SO much needs to be modded to hold what is now mediocre street bruiser hp levels, there is MANY other choices out there and come out money ahead.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with most of what you are saying. There will always be newer/ faster cars with platforms lighter and more mod -friendly (mainly domestics especially if you take price into consideration.)

After buying a new car every six months or so............ And losing my a$$ on most of them. I have decided to keep my G coupe and 'Play' with a reasonable amount of money. This year the amount is pushing 'Reasonable' so next year will have to be a bit less

I know you guys have walked paths of heartaches and wallet-breaking that some of us are just starting. I guess you have EARNED you negativity Jeebus!!! $100k in parts alone!?!

I have been reading FI posts and have tried to learn from some of your mistakes. So I guess I should say "Thank You!!" BUT...Don't you think there is a happy medium when one goes into modding this platform with reasonable exectations?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I just like the exterior of my G coupe. I think it has some clasically beautiful lines. I liked the OEM 19s so much I had them polished and now widened. The interior is better than most in it's class. My main desire was for more torque

Main lesson I've learned so far, after all my lurking, is to take the car and let ONE of the few reputable shops for engine upgrades and FI install tuning.

Guess I'll be singing YOUR tune if they fail to stand behind their work!!

Just my 2 cents

George

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad