Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nexx
maybe you should do the same.
I did and have talked to people first hand that has or had built sleeved blocks and have FAILED or going to FAIL.. now on to you're next statement.

out of the all the sleeved block failures ive read on this forum its been built by GTM. now there might be a good explanation for this since theyve probably built more sleeved VQ block then anyone else so the probability of failure is greater.This comment makes no sense as you and I know alot of shops do sleeved motors! Just because those people are not on the forums with their motor stories good or bad, does not mean that one shop builds more sleeved motors than another shop and that should justify it! nope sorry

in any case, its a cause for concern when sleeved blocks are failing a somewhat high rate at power levels far less then spec'd.
This comment is true, as I stated pior to you're comment, If certain shops dont know how to properly install sleeves they should stay away from the practice period, as it will leed to nothing but failure and a upset customer and a even more pissed off community!

In conclusion, this is what im trying to get across. It's no one's business to tell the next person how to build his/her car/engine. However If people want to sleeve a motor for the potential of making 700+ hp sleeving should be done. This community is plagued and scared to sleeve motors because of certain shops that built a motor and had it fail, not even close to its expected power goals This to me sounds like overpromising and undelivering..Thats SAD!. Build you're car the way you want it just make sure you have the right person/persons building it!!!! And if they don't build it right they should MAN UP and build it again standing behind their work!!! Enough said...
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
I would like to hear about Your sleaved block cracking on the dyno, why don't you shed some more lights on what happened, pics, specs, cause of failure .

Sam
really?? after all the calls and "gray area" so no fingers couldnt be pointed apparently u dont remember me huh? wow....

u convinced me to let u do the sleeve work instead of darton, then game me a crazy huge quote on a build so i didnt go through u , as for the cracked block its still sitting at forged if u wanna stop by and see it....
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by eltness350
really?? after all the calls and "gray area" so no fingers couldnt be pointed apparently u dont remember me huh? wow....

u convinced me to let u do the sleeve work instead of darton, then game me a crazy huge quote on a build so i didnt go through u , as for the cracked block its still sitting at forged if u wanna stop by and see it....
is it possible to post some pics ?

Sam
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM
tylerxfire

thread will be deleted in 3..2...1..
Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
zman1982

This has takin an interesting turn
Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
xzotklr

I have had two builds done by VTR (Vinny Ten Racing)

1st build- JWT TT on stock block

1. Time (months) on built motor - Built 9/2007, ~2 years

2. Miles on built motor - 10,000

3. HP, TQ, PSI - dyno'd @ 403 whp and 409 tq @ 10 psi

4. Who built the motor - VTR (Vinny Ten Racing).

5. Issues - Nothing major.

6. Regrets - not being able to afford built block

2nd build- JWT TT on VTR stage 1 built block

1. Time (months) on built motor - Built 7/2009, ~9 months

2. Miles on built motor - 4,000

3. HP, TQ, PSI - dyno'd @ 520 whp and 568 (??) tq @ 14 psi

4. Who built the motor - VTR (Vinny Ten Racing).

5. Issues - vacuum hose cracked causing excessive smoking; issue resolved.

6. Regrets - not being able to afford VTR stage 2 built block

7. likes- no cels, normal idle
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
what do you consider a "standard build"

The way I look at it anything over 650 should be sleeved IMO i dont care what people think that vq can hold on stock sleeves. Some people are these forums are looking at sleeves now as a possible cause for the overheating, whiich personally I dont blame them. I personally think its in the machining and inproperly installed sleeves bottom line. How can a shop like VTR make a promise of no spun bearings,no overheating and or lifting heads in big letters underlined on his website.

*As far as Vinny he is a stand up guy, but won't tell shop secrets as this is something that keeps him ahead of the game imo,
I don't fault him for keeping secrets, afterall that knowledge is a result of alot of blood, sweat & tears
*As far as his customers driving their cars hard on sleeves? Well I know for a fact they have a small group of older gentleman that road race their cars,This imo is the hardest beatings you can put on a motor! Never heard or see them talking about overheating real talk!
Vinny has advised me to avoid sleeves & the rear cooling mod as they are not needed; just more to give problems. As he has said every additional connections is another potential leak point
*As far as you're set up old one and latest one ,you should have had sleeves imo you like to beat the $hit out of you're car just like I do! Thats my opinion so dont take offense. You like big power and having extra security in you're engine cant hurt(as long as everything is installed correctly) Can you confirm that it was the sleeves or are you still in the diagnosis period? Whatever the case maybe, you car has not only been setting an example but has shown so many of us to be wary of what you're doing this vq motors. They have a intricate cooling system and having high power expectations without the proper equipment may make or break you're engine (sleeved or unsleeved..) and real drivers in street driven cars put more stress on the motor than shop cars I dont care what anyone thinks this is why we may not see that many shop cars with overheats IMO!

All I can relay is my experience. Vinny has always been willing to discuss (at length....lol) theory & applications. We have worked together to achieve my goals. There have been times when he was insistent on a certain point, and has always been right!! My car runs with stock like consistency; it performs like the beast that it is. I'm happy with the performance and will continue to upgrade as funds become available.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
is it possible to post some pics ?

Sam
here is a vid from sharif@forged when it happened, block cracked and was puking coolant which was makin it smoke extensively on the dyno. this had been sent to ur company also....sorry to the op for getting off track...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=IMG_0018.flv
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by xzotklr
All I can relay is my experience. Vinny has always been willing to discuss (at length....lol) theory & applications. We have worked together to achieve my goals. There have been times when he was insistent on a certain point, and has always been right!! My car runs with stock like consistency; it performs like the beast that it is. I'm happy with the performance and will continue to upgrade as funds become available.

Thanks for the good info. As stated before from myself and others, Vinny is a real dude and would never steer someone in the wrong direction or sell you things you dont need. Him telling you to do something a certain way is because his advise comes from first hand experience. I too have gone back and fourth with him on certain things and in the end he was right!. Glad you're happy with you're build as you should be!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM
zman1982

Originally Posted by eltness350
here is a vid from sharif@forged when it happened, block cracked and was puking coolant which was makin it smoke extensively on the dyno. this had been sent to ur company also....sorry to the op for getting off track...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=IMG_0018.flv
No problem man, everything that is posted has some value to others.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 PM
ashtrojan2008

kinda old thread that got well off topic....
but does anyone have any updates on their builds?

2 years/ 35k miles on my build daily driven 500+ hp with no major problems (knock on wood), just little stuff like power steering leak, busted ac hose, and recently destroyed clutch, nothing engine related.
oil change every 3,750 miles with 10w-40 valvoline conventional & k&n filter.
I'm mostly interested to see if anyone has problems with high mileage and the rings or bearings.

ross
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

3k mile and spun a bearing
Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by midz350
3k mile and spun a bearing
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2nd built setup

Greddy, mostly run at 600whp

about 4500 miles

about to spin a bearing, its done
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM
jtgli

Originally Posted by Alberto
2nd built setup

about 4500 miles

WTF man Hope whatever happens it works out for you....
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by Alberto
2nd built setup

about 4500 miles

That sucks Alberto. What are you going to do now? Do I sense a supercharged LS2 or and LS9 in your future? That would be sick if you did an LS swap with an LS9!!

Last edited by bigcloud; 12-10-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Going into my 5th season on the built engine.

I've put around 25K hard miles on it.

530whp with meth injection.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Going into my 5th season on the built engine.

I've put around 25K hard miles on it.

530whp with meth injection.
I have noticed that anything past 550whp seems to be more prone to failure.

What's with all the spun bearings too? It seems to be the most common problem with built motors.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I have noticed that anything past 550whp seems to be more prone to failure.

What's with all the spun bearings too? It seems to be the most common problem with built motors.
I know... im afraid we may have spun a bearing in the 300zx. I don't understand how, but we are pulling it down this weekend to check it out. We aren't sure who assembled the bottom end, but i will be double checking all the clearances. i sure hope we didnt damage any of the carillo h beams :/
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcloud
That sucks Alberto. What are you going to do now? Do I sense a supercharged LS2 or and LS9 in your future? That would be sick if you did an LS swap with an LS9!!
Nah no way Id do that. Most econoomical thing to do would be go with a proven build pattern as far as the block goes. Reuse everything else and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad