Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sneak Peak At Vortech System

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 02:40 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This thread shows how stupid I am. Kevin might get a Vortec installed free, I am doing alot of work trying to get it happening, and all I will get is a copy of the magazine article since I dont even work for SportZ magazine!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Forced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zland:
I didn't say free, I can do the same deal for you if you want...
Old 11-14-2003, 03:41 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Forced
zland:
I didn't say free, I can do the same deal for you if you want...
So what is the deal? You can PM me if you wish.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:04 PM
QuartZ

Yes, please PM me with the deal as well! I'd love nothing more than to have the install done by the people who created the kit! BTW, what's the install time, and where exactly are you Steve?

I'm in Irvine.

-Dana
Old 11-14-2003, 05:08 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by QuartZ
You have to rev that sucker a few times so we can hear the sound and the Bypass Valve!

-Dana
Any word on if we can get some more video clips?
I'm very interested in this kit, and Vortech is making me reconsider my whole FI plan!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:11 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoops, look what I started!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 PM
QuartZ

Hehehe, I planned on installing it myself with 2 friends, but I'd sure go for an install by Vortech if I could!

Ya..Look what you started!

And yes, I still wanna hear that thing being revved, and I wanna hear the Bypass valve. Does it sound like a Turbo's BOV??

-Dana
Old 11-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Forced

OK guys. I have given out as many good deals as I can. Let's see how many people take me up on the offer. The camera I used to make the vids was my personal camera, so I will have to bring it back in to make more. The Blowoff valve will make a sound that you are used to with Turbos.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:19 PM
jesseenglish

So, I still haven't heard, what fuel management system it uses and what brand of timing retard box it uses.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:26 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by jesseenglish
So, I still haven't heard, what fuel management system it uses and what brand of timing retard box it uses.

both are built by vortech. the only good thing about vortech fuel management is that you can change the disk in the fmu to make it run leaner or richer. the fmu is based on boost to and the numbers go like 8:1 or 10:1 which I think thats like for each psi. the retarding box is just a preprogramed box. that is what I was told by vortech. hope this helps some.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Forced

If you look back a few pages, we answered this. As for what brand...Well that's my little secret.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
MSGarrett1

If you look back a few pages, we answered this. As for what brand...Well that's my little secret.
Why be so secretive about the brand of timing retard box?

Also, I'm wondering why the kit doesn't include upgraded (larger) fuel injectors? It seems the weak link in most aftermarket forced-induction kits for factory high-compression engines, like our Z, is the fuel management system. As long as premature detonation is avoided, and the engine NEVER runs lean, I believe the stock pistons, rods, crank, and block will handle 7-8 psi for many thousands of trouble-free miles.

But, the stock fuel injectors concern me. Even with an adequate fuel pump, I can forsee the rare circumstance where the injectors become the rate-limiting step for fuel delivery . . . then a lean condition . . . then engine destruction. What do you think Forced?

Dr. G

Last edited by MSGarrett1; 11-17-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Forced

I think it depends on the tuning. Lets take our 2001 Mustang GT system for example. We say you need (and we include) 38lb injectors in the system. If you went with Steeda and used their ECU reflash with a Vortech on the same car, they calibrate it for 30lb injectors. And they produce higher HP numbers. How can that be? They are able to change something like 500,000 lines of code, where our chip will change like 50. The injectors are fine for what we are trying to accomplish. 412HP at the motor while staying dependable and getting the 50 state CARB number next year. If you want to go farther than our HP figure with our sytem, you may need to get larger injectors. If we felt we needed injectors, we would include them. We are not looking to cut costs here, most of our current systems need injectors and we include them. I hope that wasn't too much blah blah blah....
Old 11-17-2003, 08:39 PM
zimbo

Just thought I'd chime in to reiterate the interest in this kit from the G35 perspective. I own the 6MT sedan and I'm sold.

--Steve
Old 11-17-2003, 09:26 PM
jesseenglish

Well, I've been trying to follow the various threads to get this information, but never got any straightforward answers from you. I don't have time to search through 20 some pages of threads. Seems like in the time you took to write the above post you could have just said what it was.

That's kinda lame trying to keep the brand secret. It's not like we're not going to figure it out once the kit becomes available. Leads me to believe that you really don't know because you haven't given any real data, just SC hype.

Oh well, forget I asked.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
jesseenglish

I'm assuming that it's

1. EFMU with a scale slider type setting similar to the Aeromotive FMU.

2. The box is probably a Splitsecond.

This one is very simple to answer, there is some misinformation. Some people are still under the impression that this is a ratio based mechanical FMU, which it is not because we don't have a return fuel line.

All you have to do is this

1. Y/N
2. Y/N

Sorry about my irritation, but why do we have to pry information out of you. Seems like you should be proudly answering any questions we have because there are a lot of people here who won't buy these types of things on a salesmans word alone believe it or not, they want data.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Ag Z

I'm assuming that it's

This one is very simple to answer, there is some misinformation. Some people are still under the impression that this is a ratio based mechanical FMU, which it is not because we don't have a return fuel line.

1. Y/N
2. Y/N

Sorry about my irritation, but why do we have to pry information out of you. Seems like you should be proudly answering any questions we have because there are a lot of people here who won't buy these types of things on a salesmans word alone believe it or not, they want data.
I agree 200%, after having to beat the placement of the FMU out of Forced I have figured out that it's not a FMU/FPR or any other name you want to call it cause they close down the return line to increase fuel pressure AFTER the fuel rail. Forced said this is placed before an inline pump. THAT DOES NOT WORK, unless it's controlling voltage to that inline pump AKA as the same exact unit as ATI. OK, maybe it's blue vice red on the outside, but inside is the same exact parts. Also read it's going to have the same exact issues as the ATI/Aeromotive unit. The timing control is being made my someone else, that means once Vortech releases their kit that anyone wanting it for their ATI will be able to buy it and use it from the maker. I have seen the blue MSD boxes on Mustangs, GM use to sell those units too. MSD don't car what color they paint the outside as long as they are selling the box.

As for the injectors I not sure what the base FP in on the Z, but guessing it's at 3 Bar or 43.51 psi, so adding 8 psi to it won't hurt them, even double the 1:1 ratio you're still just over 4 Bar at about 60 psi. GM's LS1 runs 58 psi stock so I don't see that being a big factor. I won't think that Nissan's injectors are made any worst than the Delphi injectors.

Forced

A little advice, when we the buyer ask is asking a technical question, give us a straight technical answer, if we are smart enough to ask the question, give us credit that we are smart enough to know a good answer from a BS answer. So far you have side stepped the answer on the two most important parts of your setup. Fuel and timing. The SC is going to be about the same spec's as the ATI unit for flow and efficiency, no big shock there. So it comes down to who gives us the buyer better safeguards for the engine.

The release date is next week right? I would hope the drawings for the fuel setup are approved by now. So how about some real answers.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM
jesseenglish

From your stock pump, into the FMU, then out of the FMU into the inline pump and up to the motor. No return line to the tank. The fuel pressure is not adjustable, it is increased by the FMU (I will have to check on the ratio of the FMU). If it is for example a 12:1, then for every 1 psi of boost, fuel pressure will increase by 12 psi. I will more info tomorrow.
OK, I looked at your "answer" to the fuel management. This is BS. Why would you restrict Fuel Pressure before the engine. Sure this will increase fuel pressure before the FMU, but what's before it.... NOTHING. Sorry to call you out like this buddy, but I don't enjoy having my intelligence insulted.

I read this before and knew it was wrong so that's why I asked the question again. I figured that you had modified your answer since then since this setup will not work.

Now let me tell you something that will work. If you're using an EFMU similar to the Aeromotive box then your setup will kind of work except the fuel doesn't go through the EFMU. Only thing that will go to the EFMU is a vacuum/boost line to measure the amount of boost your engine is creating.

So IMO, it is using the same Fuel management as the ATI setup. Now the only question is what timing box is being used. Don't worry, I'm not expecting a straight answer out of you, Forced, we'll figure it out once the ATI kit becomes available to the general public.

Geez, I can't believe I've got to explain how an FMU works to an employee of a FI company.

So, for those who think this is a ratio based FMU... it is not.

EDIT: LOL, Ag Z said almost the exact same thing that I did. Sorry about that, guess I should've read his post.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 11-18-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Ag Z

jesseenglish

Do you ever feel like you are walking around an intellectual wasteland? I find it funny how people jump on a bandwagon without knowing where it's going.

I am glad to see I am not the only one that realize that we are being treated like a mushroom on this thread. If someone comes on here spreading the word about a product they should be able to provide us with answers that we ask in a timely fashion don't you think?

Forced

Here is a link to your site and the page that talks about the FMU's, which one is it? http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/.../fuel_fmu.html

You have a good support site: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/support/

What is real funny is on this page: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/links/
Any one notice what dyno they have a link to? But we are shown a Mustang dynograph. Use one and link to the other brand?

All we are asking is to see what is coming out so we can be an informed intelligent buyer.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Forced

I'm assuming that it's

1. Y/N
2. Y/N

It is not an electronic FMU and yes, it is a split second box. I wanted to explain more about the fmu, but I am waiting for the manual to be completed so I can take the drawing of the FMU diagram out of it. This will make more sense to all once I can post it. We are set to begin shipping next week, so the manual will be available soon. Sorry if I seem like I am BSing. I just want to make sure I have my facts straight before letting loose on this board. I came on this site early to get the buzz out and I know you all want as much info as you can get, but I didn't have all the answers right off the bat.

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak At Vortech System