Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Jtran Studios Presents turbo kits (fabrication thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also as far as the feed goes....ee tan it that way due to the fact its divided entry. Snake another pipe shorter then the length we got it and show me its not gonna hit the turbo or heat up the compressor housing and clear the ground as we did.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

And also installin the feed pipe is as simple as undoing four bolts that hold the trans up and slip the manifold on. Not hard at all. Install of the lit with the headers is right at 7hours.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

And also I'm sure that it won't have to be trimmed out due to the longer primary of a pipe. Ue to the fact the the forced inducted air from the turbo feeds all six cylinders from the turbo and not three. Ur not gonna have a delay from the intake side of the motor just cause one primary is longer. It feeds the same tirbo with one discharge like all single turbos. Which means this. Exhaust gas....one turbo....one throttle body......and six cylinders. All the exhaust gas reaches the merge point of the turbo.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 AM
athensgls
Banned

in physics land its a bit more complicated than that my friend, dont be to worried about trying to answer these peoples questions about air flow and such because the answers are far above most of their heads anyways. Let the dyno do the talking, and the engineers do the thinking :-D
Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 AM
t6378tp1

Originally Posted by athensgls
in physics land its a bit more complicated than that my friend, dont be to worried about trying to answer these peoples questions about air flow and such because the answers are far above most of their heads anyways. Let the dyno do the talking, and the engineers do the thinking :-D
speak for yourself, you have know idea what person's background is.

since you know so much how physics than you should know that getting the two halfs a close to equal length as possible would be best

Last edited by t6378tp1; 06-26-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 AM
t6378tp1

Originally Posted by Jtran Studios
Also as far as the feed goes....ee tan it that way due to the fact its divided entry. Snake another pipe shorter then the length we got it and show me its not gonna hit the turbo or heat up the compressor housing and clear the ground as we did.
OK, I just wanted to know if the design was for looks or a purpose. I am going away this weekend but when I get back I'll get under my car draw something up and pm it to you

FYI, I have never used 1.5inch pipes when making a turbo feedpipe for a 3.5 less it was for a wg

Again not bashing just trying to understand why somethings were done. The craftmanship is what it is, can't wait to see 2gen version of this setup

Last edited by t6378tp1; 06-26-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 AM
fabcas311

do you guys build or tune evo's?????
Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 AM
athensgls
Banned

Originally Posted by t6378tp1
speak for yourself, you have know idea what person's background is.
you're right i have "know" idea. lol, that grammar slays me

Last edited by athensgls; 06-27-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

In the middle of fabricating a one off kit myself so I can really appreciate the great work you guys have done with this kit love the attention to detail....looks great!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
weelman1

Pretty IN FOR DYNO GRAPH
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
FredB

Criticism and not praise on the business level.... We are all about making our kits looking one off on every stand point. Reason for utilizing schedule 10 pipe and bends with back purging insures 100 percent penetration and also is a lot dnser material Then 16 gauge stainless pre bent. I will guarantee you our setup will last a lot longer then prebent 16 gauge stainless. Quality is more important then quantity. Our business is not run like corporate *****. We care for quality and customer satisfaction.

Johnny Tran

Oh, trust me I know all about schedule 10 and its reason for use. I've been involved in manufacturing mass production pieces for a while now (and am always looking for new clients). I'm simply trying to help you out because I'm an enthusiast above all and live by the motto work smarter not harder. I want to pass down a couple of things I learned along the way that will help save you time and money. Schedule should really only be used for manifold applications, due to the thickness and the resistance to hydrogen embrittlement of high temps, you'll never see those temps after the header and if you do there's obviously other issues. Ill give you a prime example of overkill and why it was switched for 16 ga tube. A major schedule using manifold producing company used sch 40 to make an after header kit for subarus but came to realize all the weight was unneccesarry and switched it for tube which cuts down on weight, fab time and cost (everyones best interest at heart). And by the way the pic you posted of the feed pipe by itsself clearly shows its not backpurged or if it is its done incorrectly. There's alot of oxidized filler going into the the lower wastegate

Making a first kit custom for trial purposes is ok but when it comes down to making a kit that can be replicated you're going to find a lot of stuff will have to be done and you'll be paying your fab guy a lot of money to fix that stuff. If you think you can justify the cost of having a fab guy cut and weld schedule vs working with tube you'll regret this whole turbo kit idea.

I can appreciate the whole pride thing of wanting to produce top notch parts, however when you start itemizing your kit you will be in shock as to how much money you have in fittings and hose, material, not even so much component cost (turbos and wastegates). People will pay for quality but to make it worth your time a complete kit should sell at the $9500 dollar range. If you are truly serious about marketing your own brand you have to start thinking about the ultimate cost which I can guarantee is a lot higher then the number you have worked out in your head.

Last edited by FredB; 06-27-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 PM
zmedic16

not to butt in or anything but allot of valid points has been brought up here. love the twin scroll idea.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fabcas311
do you guys build or tune evo's?????
yes we do
Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FredB
Oh, trust me I know all about schedule 10 and its reason for use. I've been involved in manufacturing mass production pieces for a while now (and am always looking for new clients). I'm simply trying to help you out because I'm an enthusiast above all and live by the motto work smarter not harder. I want to pass down a couple of things I learned along the way that will help save you time and money. Schedule should really only be used for manifold applications, due to the thickness and the resistance to hydrogen embrittlement of high temps, you'll never see those temps after the header and if you do there's obviously other issues. Ill give you a prime example of overkill and why it was switched for 16 ga tube. A major schedule using manifold producing company used sch 40 to make an after header kit for subarus but came to realize all the weight was unneccesarry and switched it for tube which cuts down on weight, fab time and cost (everyones best interest at heart). And by the way the pic you posted of the feed pipe by itsself clearly shows its not backpurged or if it is its done incorrectly. There's alot of oxidized filler going into the the lower wastegate

Making a first kit custom for trial purposes is ok but when it comes down to making a kit that can be replicated you're going to find a lot of stuff will have to be done and you'll be paying your fab guy a lot of money to fix that stuff. If you think you can justify the cost of having a fab guy cut and weld schedule vs working with tube you'll regret this whole turbo kit idea.

I can appreciate the whole pride thing of wanting to produce top notch parts, however when you start itemizing your kit you will be in shock as to how much money you have in fittings and hose, material, not even so much component cost (turbos and wastegates). People will pay for quality but to make it worth your time a complete kit should sell at the $9500 dollar range. If you are truly serious about marketing your own brand you have to start thinking about the ultimate cost which I can guarantee is a lot higher then the number you have worked out in your head.
as stated before, we are gonna be doing these up for production. we arent trying to make a killing on this stuff. as far as 16 gauge goes, seen quite a few kits utilizing 16 gauge and always cracks. this is the reason why we went with the schedule 10 instead of the 16 gauge. dont worry about my fab guy, he is down to do it all day long. def. not regretting anything right now. my number that i have in my head after finishing this kit is a little less then we thought. seems that you have alot of knowledge in production that is not needed in this thread. i have explained already once why we take the way we take and you still want to chime in? as far as the wg flanges, they are 100 percent back purged. ill take a close up of it to show the 100 percent penetration. thanks again for your concern but as stated before, this is the way we want to do things.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

now that would be interesting on 13-14psi. good luck!

Looking for min. 500whp on wg boost on our mustang Dyno.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 AM
XKR

JTran is building his kit the same way my CGT kit was build..... The only difference us JTran is charging 35k less....That goes to show you the real passion this man has for his work.Hell.... The last few times I went to his shop.... I had to demand he take payment for the work he did on my car... His staff is the same way.... They are a different breed.... Collin is their fab guy... Everytime I go to that shop... He has something new to show me... The guys welding skills is far beyond anything I have seen .....

So it's funny when I see someone on here telling him not to make super high end kits.... That he should lower the qulity and make more money...

.Go meet the guy before coming on here telling him how to run his business.... and you will understand what he is all about. ....It's shocking at first .... but when iu see what he is about you will understand.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

thank you so much for the kind words and supporting our style of business mike! we do appreciate every bit of it! dont forget to stop by and get the pressure sensor installed!

to anyone else that is looking to buy this kit. its gonna be a tuner kit for 5500-5700 shipped to your door. every kit will be test fitted and instructions will be included! if you want a package deal with injectors and ems, we can def. fulfill your needs! the production kit will still utilize the same material but will have two flex sections and will be utilizing the stock three bolt flanges. Please pm me for details. we will be using the same 350z to do the production kit for anyone that is interested! give us a call and put your payment down for a new single turbo kit!

Johnny Tran
Jtran Studios
Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 AM
bldg250z

Originally Posted by XKR
JTran is building his kit the same way my CGT kit was build..... The only difference us JTran is charging 35k less....That goes to show you the real passion this man has for his work.Hell.... The last few times I went to his shop.... I had to demand he take payment for the work he did on my car... His staff is the same way.... They are a different breed.... Collin is their fab guy... Everytime I go to that shop... He has something new to show me... The guys welding skills is far beyond anything I have seen .....

So it's funny when I see someone on here telling him not to make super high end kits.... That he should lower the qulity and make more money...

.Go meet the guy before coming on here telling him how to run his business.... and you will understand what he is all about. ....It's shocking at first .... but when iu see what he is about you will understand.

+1000000000

same here youve put in words what i would say and i appreciate as well the attention and service they've given me .... extremely happy with what jtran has done so far i trust him completely with my car and i know his work will speak for itself once its done....

thanks JT and his crew
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
lugrug

thank you so much for the kind words and supporting our style of business mike! we do appreciate every bit of it! dont forget to stop by and get the pressure sensor installed!

to anyone else that is looking to buy this kit. its gonna be a tuner kit for 5500-5700 shipped to your door. every kit will be test fitted and instructions will be included! if you want a package deal with injectors and ems, we can def. fulfill your needs! the production kit will still utilize the same material but will have two flex sections and will be utilizing the stock three bolt flanges. Please pm me for details. we will be using the same 350z to do the production kit for anyone that is interested! give us a call and put your payment down for a new single turbo kit!

Johnny Tran
Jtran Studios
Are you going to offer a standard turnkey in-house build price as well for people in the area?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

yes we are, if you are interested please pm us or just give us a call at the shop. just ask for the turbo kit special for 350z and g35!

Quick Reply: Jtran Studios Presents turbo kits (fabrication thread)