Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

revised HR Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The best thing that I ever bought for my car is the Haltech.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Don't jinx it!!!

But the haltech math is interesting:

Uprev is 700 bucks out of the gate plus tuning it (let's call it 1000). Then there's the upgraded maf when you go anywhere near 400hp... So thats probably 500 if someone else installs it (sorry rounding a bit i dont remember what the device Costs). Then there's the installation and potential retune (depending on your order of doing things) then there's a cipher cable which is about 200. A nice to have, most will agree. And then we need a boost controller so assuming you go a decent route that's about 800 bucks for purchase and install.

Lo is a priceless commodity, no doubt about it. A magician as already described... But the haltech... Despite its daunting price tag... Is a compelling option especially as numbers start to creep into the 5-600s.

Uprev says they can tune cars up to 1200 hp- which is undoubtedly true... But as I'm learning there's a lot of extra equipment to purchase while youre at it.

I'm still pro uprev... But I'm "seeing" haltech a bit differently now. Provided of course that the guy working on it knows what he's about!
my uprev license came with my gtm kit and HR doesnt need maf upgrades so was more than i want to shell out for a haltech. and with a haltech most people still run osiris anyways on top of it. look at all the big builds with people using haltechs, they use osiris for tuning the factory ecu then piggy back the haltech on top of that
Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Eno

Sorry- not trying to sway you either way... Moreover I'm just thinking out loud. Most of the times I see guys talking about the cost it's 700... But there's more to it-

I saw an "it's alive" update on intecs fb page... I can't view the video here... Is that yours?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Sorry- not trying to sway you either way... Moreover I'm just thinking out loud. Most of the times I see guys talking about the cost it's 700... But there's more to it-

I saw an "it's alive" update on intecs fb page... I can't view the video here... Is that yours?
o i know im just saying. people with haltech still have to shell out the $700 for osiris to get there stock ecu set up to get the haltech working properly. na thats joes G he did some hose deletes and new turbos lines and stuff and the pathfinder mod
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only reason you need a reflash with the haltech is to remove the speed limiter or bump the idle if you are using big cams/huge injectors. thats only 300$.

And even then, thats only a very very small percentage of builds.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the only reason you need a reflash with the haltech is to remove the speed limiter or bump the idle if you are using big cams/huge injectors. thats only 300$.

And even then, thats only a very very small percentage of builds.
no doubt small in the grand scheme of things im just debating the cost vs necessity, i just think haltech is overboard for about 80% of the builds its used on. theres a few cars where i think its needed. yours being one of them, XKR,Maybe Binder if he pushes some big boost numbers. but for the majority of the 500 whp twin/single builds i think its overkill. not hating on it at all it seems like a great product i just dont wanna shell out for it lol XD

on a side note dont most people who have a haltech still run a boost controller anyways aswell?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

nah, it's not overkill. Haltech isn't just about numbers it's about ease of use and tunability. If i was doing a big NA build i would probably still use a haltech. I have a logger, dual wideband, boost controller, and tuner all in 1 thing. No mix and match. It has other things that the stock ecu doesn't do. adjustable air temp fuel maps, post start enrichment maps, adjustable timing vs air temp maps. It opens up so many features that the stock ecu falls short of and it's so simple to tune with. I used osiris for a year and it's by far the hardest of all things to tune with.

The all in 1 feature is just so nice. The fact that i can log without having to hook up a computer. I just set the parameter that starts the logger in the haltech and it does the job. that means i can check the logs later for anything i've previously done.

and no, i'm pretty sure everyone uses the haltech built in boost controller since you can adjust it for duty cycle, boost per mph, boost per slip, or basically boost verses any parameter that the haltech can see. It has features that would cost 500-700$ for a boost controller not just the simple "duty cycle" boost controllers (that still cost 300$ at the cheapest ones). It's very versatile and simple to setup.

I do see your issue with not having a tuner around. I'm not sure the nearest haltech tuner to you up in the northwest and that's an issue if you do'nt plan on tuning yourself. although, i will add that any competent tuner would easily be able to adjust timing and fuel on a haltech without having any knowledge of the features of it. Those maps are simple to adjust.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by binder
nah, it's not overkill. Haltech isn't just about numbers it's about ease of use and tunability. If i was doing a big NA build i would probably still use a haltech. I have a logger, dual wideband, boost controller, and tuner all in 1 thing. No mix and match. It has other things that the stock ecu doesn't do. adjustable air temp fuel maps, post start enrichment maps, adjustable timing vs air temp maps. It opens up so many features that the stock ecu falls short of and it's so simple to tune with. I used osiris for a year and it's by far the hardest of all things to tune with.

The all in 1 feature is just so nice. The fact that i can log without having to hook up a computer. I just set the parameter that starts the logger in the haltech and it does the job. that means i can check the logs later for anything i've previously done.

and no, i'm pretty sure everyone uses the haltech built in boost controller since you can adjust it for duty cycle, boost per mph, boost per slip, or basically boost verses any parameter that the haltech can see. It has features that would cost 500-700$ for a boost controller not just the simple "duty cycle" boost controllers (that still cost 300$ at the cheapest ones). It's very versatile and simple to setup.

I do see your issue with not having a tuner around. I'm not sure the nearest haltech tuner to you up in the northwest and that's an issue if you do'nt plan on tuning yourself. although, i will add that any competent tuner would easily be able to adjust timing and fuel on a haltech without having any knowledge of the features of it. Those maps are simple to adjust.
hmm forgot where i was reading but a few builds were running a boost controller along wit the haltech ill see if i can find where i read that (different forum). the tuning i do not feel comfortable tuning a 700 whp car myself. some day i may give it a go but for now im fiddeling around with tuning my bike with a power commander :P little more forgiving on the wallet if i make a mistake haha. As far as my tuner he said he could tune it but he would prefer osiris and thatd do the job just great and i got some really good pricing on the apexi avc-r boost controller and my defi wideband when doing my stock block set up and my kit came with osiris so the price was a big deciding factor in the ems (after i checked it out and made sure osiris would be capable of my end goal) so figured id put the money else where in the build. eventually i would like to pick up a haltech so i can have additional maps for fuel, probably do this next time the motors out and the gt 35r's go on and the bigger injectors. I want a c16 tune aswell as a pump but being as i have a base no cruise control to change maps, so for now also being limited on a budget i dont see a down side to running over osiris vs haltech
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 AM
binder

there probably are people running separate boost controllers but they are wasting money. Chances are they had them before the haltech and just didn't convert over. Haltech boost controller is so easy to adjust and the boost verses anything maps you can setup are just priceless.

it also has knock threshold maps as well as knock control where it will pull timing or whatever you want if it detects a certain level of knock.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha ,haltech wasnt enough for my build. its missing alot of basic safety features needed on a high strung engine Their new I/O box will hopefully address that though.

most people run external boost control solenoids over the 22psi internal one in the haltech.. Thats probably what you are thinking of. Not external boost controllers. thats 80$ vs 400$
Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ha ,haltech wasnt enough for my build. its missing alot of basic safety features needed on a high strung engine Their new I/O box will hopefully address that though.

most people run external boost control solenoids over the 22psi internal one in the haltech.. Thats probably what you are thinking of. Not external boost controllers. thats 80$ vs 400$
external boost sensors (map)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
ace32x

Could be Im outa town atm for a big hot rod show at the beach ill see if I can dig it up when I get back tonight. Almost positive it was a full external boost controller tho
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
ace32x

Was thinking don't the pro tunes all tune I'm the cipher? They don't have to log and go back and forth to my understanding? But I'm not to tuning savy so I'm not sure what difficulties lay in tuning in the cipher
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM
binder

Originally Posted by ace32x
Could be Im outa town atm for a big hot rod show at the beach ill see if I can dig it up when I get back tonight. Almost positive it was a full external boost controller tho
like i said probably people that have changed over to haltech but not setup the new boost control with it yet.

Thom on the forums here had an AEM truboost boost controller with his g35 that was mid 600hp and he switched over to a proEFI which has a very nice built in boost controller. I think it was the better part of a year before he actually switched over to use the proEFI boost controller over the aem one. Sometimes people just don't have the time to spend to switch over.

You won't find a 400$ boost controller that will do boost by speed, or any other of the 100's of things that haltech can log so there is no comparison.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM
ace32x

Typo stupid auto correct spelling on phones. Pro tuners tune in the cipher ***
Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 PM
binder

Was thinking don't the pro tunes all tune I'm the cipher? They don't have to log and go back and forth to my understanding? But I'm not to tuning savy so I'm not sure what difficulties lay in tuning in the cipher
They don't because they have a 100k$ dyno that logs rpm, a/f, and tach signal all together for them.

There is no way to hook aftermarket wideband or boost controllers into uprev. If the tuner was to adjust your boost controller he would have to adjust that separate the uprev software either with software from that boost controller (if used) or by adjusting the controller with dials or however it is adjusted.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
ace32x

Pretty sure he was, was just txting my friend who owns half the shop and he said he tunes In the cipher all the time
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
binder

Pretty sure he was, was just txting my friend who owns half the shop and he said he tunes In the cipher all the time
ya, timing and fuel. Stock ecu doesn't have boost or wideband (unless 04.5). The 04.5 have wideband but they are junk to tune with. They only read down to 11.25 a/f so no tuner would rely on cheap stock widebands to tune.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM
ace32x

ya, timing and fuel. Stock ecu doesn't have boost or wideband (unless 04.5). The 04.5 have wideband but they are junk to tune with. They only read down to 11.25 a/f so no tuner would rely on cheap stock widebands to tune.
hmm, ill find out a little more about it this week when i head up there. he doesnt seem to think its a hastle at all, and he manually dials in the boost controller while tuning (mines mounted right in the cubby above the headunit easy access)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
ace32x

clutch came in today thanks to midz!

quad vs twin

Quick Reply: revised HR Build