Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

revised HR Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 PM
CTZ860

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are there any options out there at all for us guys with base models? Or haltech it is....??
Old 09-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Eno

They have quite a long thread about it over in tuning in the tech area here- but the short version is there's no direct solution for the multi map. There's nothing you can just plug in and change on the fly.

A few guys make the point that "I've got one map that I like and that's fine. Uprev rocks." Other guys said it's nothing to swap maps with a laptop and the cipher cable, basically just flashing the ROM each time which they say takes about 30 seconds to maybe a minute? Sounds like a viable solution, especially if the alternate maps are just going to be between street and track times... You can get very potent netbooks right now for really cheap so it'd be nothing to just have it in the car or FOR the car.

I mean, I think the maps are power, economy, valet, lock out and... I don't remember the last one. I haven't even switched out of my economy map yet... and the only time I plan on having to is with a saucy mustang / porche / lambo I could care less about the other ones.

Some make a point that they don't lose mileage on their power map anyway so it's moot.

Anyway, not to threadjack but I think ace makes a point... Those who have gone this route and are running anywhere over 450-500hp probably only need that one map anyway. All the rest are just novelties (quite frequently, anyway). With a Cipher cable and laptop you could have countless maps- and with the exception of the 30 seconds to flash the ECU in the parking lot... you still get all the uprev goodness!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
They have quite a long thread about it over in tuning in the tech area here- but the short version is there's no direct solution for the multi map. There's nothing you can just plug in and change on the fly.

A few guys make the point that "I've got one map that I like and that's fine. Uprev rocks." Other guys said it's nothing to swap maps with a laptop and the cipher cable, basically just flashing the ROM each time which they say takes about 30 seconds to maybe a minute? Sounds like a viable solution, especially if the alternate maps are just going to be between street and track times... You can get very potent netbooks right now for really cheap so it'd be nothing to just have it in the car or FOR the car.

I mean, I think the maps are power, economy, valet, lock out and... I don't remember the last one. I haven't even switched out of my economy map yet... and the only time I plan on having to is with a saucy mustang / porche / lambo I could care less about the other ones.

Some make a point that they don't lose mileage on their power map anyway so it's moot.

Anyway, not to threadjack but I think ace makes a point... Those who have gone this route and are running anywhere over 450-500hp probably only need that one map anyway. All the rest are just novelties (quite frequently, anyway). With a Cipher cable and laptop you could have countless maps- and with the exception of the 30 seconds to flash the ECU in the parking lot... you still get all the uprev goodness!
ya that does sound like a good option, I'm only looking for multiple maps for changing fuel I don't care about the vallet or economy really cuz it only comes out when I'm gonna romp on it
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 AM
CTZ860

Generally speakin say u wanted a little extra juice on the fly and turned ur boost up a little....culd u run that higher boost on the same map or wuld it throw off a/f ratios etc etc?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CTZ860
Generally speakin say u wanted a little extra juice on the fly and turned ur boost up a little....culd u run that higher boost on the same map or wuld it throw off a/f ratios etc etc?
it will work fine.

You have it tuned up to 14psi or whatever you want. Then you turn the boost controller down to another level and have that tuned. Then it won't matter what you run as long as that level has been tuned on that map.

I went through and tuned 10,12,14,16 psi all the way to redline so i can run any of those on the same map. No need to change the map for that. Just tune everything you are going to use in 1 map.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
binder

Originally Posted by ace32x
nothing yet that i know of , the laptop option or getting a haltech(as much as i dont want to shell out for it) might have to if i wanna have a pump and a c16 tune. but we'll see i may be happy enough with the pump map for along while

Edit: forgot i facebooked uprev a couple months back and they didnt have anything in the works for it yet either : / according to them
when i had osiris i never used the other maps.

the way i look at it for doing a pump and c16 map. You're going to spend 30+ minutes draining your tank and putting c16 in it so you won't be able to change fuel on the fly so what's the extra 3 minutes it takes to flash a new map on your ecu?

The good thing about that is after changing back to pumpgas you wo'nt accidentally forget to change the map over and possibly blow the engine up.

The other option is this:

build 1 map. say 12psi on pumpgas. So set the timing conservative for that area of tuning.

now, on that same map you run 20psi on race gas. So then you tune THAT area of the map with advanced timing for the race gas.

The 20psi area of the map wont affect the 12psi area at all. c16 and pump gas will have the same specific gravity so the driving map would also remain the same. About all that will change is the timing and maybe some full boost 20psi a/f.

You will be using a separate boost controller so you will just have to turn the boost up and your map will support each tune.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by binder
when i had osiris i never used the other maps.

the way i look at it for doing a pump and c16 map. You're going to spend 30+ minutes draining your tank and putting c16 in it so you won't be able to change fuel on the fly so what's the extra 3 minutes it takes to flash a new map on your ecu?

The good thing about that is after changing back to pumpgas you wo'nt accidentally forget to change the map over and possibly blow the engine up.

The other option is this:

build 1 map. say 12psi on pumpgas. So set the timing conservative for that area of tuning.

now, on that same map you run 20psi on race gas. So then you tune THAT area of the map with advanced timing for the race gas.

The 20psi area of the map wont affect the 12psi area at all. c16 and pump gas will have the same specific gravity so the driving map would also remain the same. About all that will change is the timing and maybe some full boost 20psi a/f.

You will be using a separate boost controller so you will just have to turn the boost up and your map will support each tune.
Hmm that's something I didn't consider. Was planning on having it tuned to 20 or so on pump tho aswell :/
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
ace32x

Hmm that's something I didn't consider. Was planning on having it tuned to 20 or so on pump tho aswell :/
14-20 or 22 on pump that is
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM
ace32x

Apon getting home from work found a big box from os giken today and after digging through a ton of packing tshrits and stickers i found this at the bottom

tripple came in, they even 2 dayed it to me at no cost
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Eno

Okay... looks kind of sexy but being an AT guy I'm not even really sure what that is.

Last time I checked (a minute ago) my watch said it's Thursday... Any good news? They going to turn Mike loose on your block tomorrow?

Last edited by Eno; 09-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM
ace32x

Okay... looks kind of sexy but being an AT guy I'm not even really sure what that is.

Last time I checked (a minute ago) my watch said it's Thursday... Any good news? They going to turn Mike loose on your block tomorrow?
As suspected wasn't ready. They say tommorow lol but we all know what that means. That machine shop does good work but they're so flakey
Old 09-23-2011, 04:33 AM
binder

20 on pump would be pretty high but if you were going to run 20psi on pump it would be pointless to put c16 in the tank and not raise the boost. If you're going to spend 11$ a gallon you might as well use it by raising the boost.

so something like 20 on pump and 24-28 on c16.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by binder
20 on pump would be pretty high but if you were going to run 20psi on pump it would be pointless to put c16 in the tank and not raise the boost. If you're going to spend 11$ a gallon you might as well use it by raising the boost.

so something like 20 on pump and 24-28 on c16.
thats more along the lines of what i wanted to run if i was doing a c16 tune, have to talk to my tuner bout this
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM
ace32x

confirmation engine is done at the machine shop! hopefully my shop can get some pics for me tommorow! and the assembly is starting lots of updates to come
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
ace32x

little update assembly is starting tommorow on the engine! few pics of whats gone down so far.

and got some shoes for when the cars back together too

Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Eno

Update?

By the way. Booked in on Dyno at intec on the 21-22nd of October. I think a few of us might go out that saturday night. The gf and I roll in Friday afternoon/morning. Looking forward to seeing the beast. Any end in sight?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
ace32x

Update?

By the way. Booked in on Dyno at intec on the 21-22nd of October. I think a few of us might go out that saturday night. The gf and I roll in Friday afternoon/morning. Looking forward to seeing the beast. Any end in sight?
Motor should be fully assembled today actually! Adding in some custom cooling lines directly from the block to the turbos so taking care of that tommorow and then taking the car I. This coming Tuesday to drop everything in not sure if itl be running or not by the time u come down but Def will be close. Working on getting a sponsor for brakes so might be adding a stoptech bbk aswell while its in.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Eno

How do you go about getting a sponsor? Do they come to you or do you go to them?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
ace32x

How do you go about getting a sponsor? Do they come to you or do you go to them?
I've been going to them
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
ace32x

little teaser from last week of engine assembly.

should be completed Tuesday/Wednesday and ready to go back in the car!

Quick Reply: revised HR Build