Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back home lets build!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nah thats what it was set at without copy through, no idea what it actually was but it could simply be i have a bad maf i havnt ran it using the maf for anything but intake temp since the beginning of march so no idea. i was getting bucking at lower rpms in vac though with copy through and slight missing with the settings that where in there. upped it and its alot better now heres a pic of current timing map i have a feeling everything is stemming from here, think the previous owner had it way conservative for the vortech and stock block but who knows. boost i kinda just linerized since most of it was under 6 degrees base i havnt taken it into boost again as i want to get vac down first. but i think the timing for boost will be a bit better and possibly is the cause of the misfire in boost i was seeing before(even before the built engine.)

been trying to get my afrs down and probably should have been tuning timing first since they whernt that bad to start(kind rich)

Originally Posted by binder
copy through on the vac map is only pushing 12* timing? something isn't right there.

My entire vac map is set to copy through and it runs in the 30's for timing when cruising. when i made a mistake and accidentally filled in those copy through cells and made them static timing my car ran like complete garbage and would stall every time i pushed the clutch in.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM
jerryd87

added another 6 degrees to the low-mid rpm timing numbers(up to about 4k) in vacuum still no knock and the car is running alot smoother, also leaned the mixture slightly as well gona pull the plugs and see what they look like as well.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
jerryd87

slowly getting it tuned but i think im going to have to pull the wastegate off and change the spring, wanted a 15 psi spring but im hitting 21.5 psi. gotta finish tuning though ive pulled ALOT of fuel and still showing 10.6:1 afr which is the lowest ive seen my widebands go. hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have at least a semi decent tune going, extra fuel is whats causing my high rpm breakup for sure, the more fuel i pull the better it gets im actually able to get her up to 5500 rpms now.(once it starts cutting out i stop pull over and watch the log see whats going on and end up pulling fuel from being so rich.)

so far only knock im seeing is above 19 psi, 17 psi with 14.6 degrees base timing shows nothing, 21.5 with 13.2 base timing shows 305 knock counts and 19 is between the two cells and shows 35 counts. i think i might try pulling a little timing and see if that gets rid of it because im not sure if the 14.6 at 17 is right on the edge or not. Also not sure if meth is actually turning on i cant hear at higher rpms so gona have someone rid with me and touch the pump to feel if its kicking on. havnt had alot of time with school and work so most of my tuning has been vac tuning here and there only issues im having there now is rpms drop to 550 when going out of gear and ive had 2 shutdowns in past 2 days from low rpms. idle is usually around 750, just dropping down to 1k rpms before pulling it out of gear pretty much eliminates it though, also need to mess with clutch adjustment some more, above 5500 rpms the thing will not shift into 5th or 6th even as the rpms drop but not sure if its just it being a 03 trans
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice seeing they its going good, what size injectors are you running and that octane fuel?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
jerryd87

1200 cc precision's and 92 octane is what they sell at the pump. the duty cycle was 50% at 5000 rpm and 21 psi boost and was wayyyy rich. seems like im going to have some wiggle room though so i should be able to convert to e85 when i get back stateside.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-22-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
1200 cc precision's and 92 octane is what they sell at the pump. the duty cycle was 50% at 5000 rpm and 21 psi boost and was wayyyy rich. seems like im going to have some wiggle room though so i should be able to convert to e85 when i get back stateside.
i'm only 73% IDC with my 1000cc injectors on e85 at 650hp (22psi boost).

Did you set up the knock thresholds? The stock knock map is junk and one from the ECU is junk too. Mine took a lot of work to get it normal. It was telling me 500 counts of knock while in vac and all that jazz. Then with conservative timing i was still getting high "knock" counts in boost with e85. It was definitely engine noise so I tuned the knock thresholds to be normal again. Took forever
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM
jerryd87

i actually have knock disabled at the moment at hals recommendation since im having misfires at high rpm. i have no doubt some of it is just engine noise because i was getting it in vac as well with copy through and 12.3:1 afr lol no doubt my exhuast dosnt help. goal is to get it tuned close to the edge(mayby within 1 degree of knock) with meth and then for safety ill add a few gallons of xylene every tank, 2 gallons a tank will give me right around 95 octane just gotta verify my source and that the price hasnt chaged to get a drum.

if housing was pissed about my car being on jackstand i can only imagine if they find out about a drum of xylene in my shed lol

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 PM
jerryd87

btw jeff do you have a screenshot of your knock table? see how it compares to mine dont wanna decrease the sensitivity and then it really be knock
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xylene wont that eat through the gas tank? or mess up the fuel pump and fuel lines??
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM
jerryd87

no thats a misconception, if you add too much then it could potentially eat through stuff over a very long term talking 10+ years but honestly with modern lines its not a problem. a adding 30% to 93 shouldnt eat through anything anymore then e85. xylene and toulene are actually already in the fuel we use and f1 cars had 0 issues running 93% zylene back in the 90's i think it was when they where running like 50 psi boost.

edit: your also supposed to add a couple oz of trans fluid or marvel mystery oil with it since its not a lubricant. and def need to be careful as it is a carcinogen(sp?) if it gets on you.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 AM
binder

Originally Posted by jerryd87
btw jeff do you have a screenshot of your knock table? see how it compares to mine dont wanna decrease the sensitivity and then it really be knock
I can just email you my map to look over. I'm not worried about people seeing my tune. Send me an email: jeffbinder@gmail.com

I just now saw that image of your timing map. That is WAY low for timing in vac. When i'm just in vac cruising 1500-2500 rpms my timing is in the 30's. You can advance the crap out of timing in vac without getting knock.

When i turned copy through off on accident and didn't notice it my timing map looked like that and the car drove like complete crap and got horrible gas mileage. It would die at every stop light or if i just pushed the clutch in on the highway.

Here are a couple images but i can send you the whole map. I followed a system developed by Raj (rcdash) on how to set it up. This gives me some knock counts but I have them all between 100-150 counts and over 150 counts is where the knock map kicks in to do something. If you set them to zero it's hard to tell how well your threshold is set. I can email you the instructions raj sent me on how to get that setup. My old trial and error system too way too long. I don't use the knock map fully yet though. I just log it to check things later.

also, here is my timing with copy through turned off. It doesn't run near as good with static numbers though.
Attached Thumbnails Back home lets build!-knock_map.jpg   Back home lets build!-timing.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
binder

also, toluene is what ive used before in race bikes. I was thinking of using it again when i started this build but when i check prices on it i chose not to. It became STUPID expensive in the last 10 years.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
jerryd87

yah toulene and xylene have gone crazy lately but its not too bad if you buy a 55 gallon drum, i only plan to run about 1.5 gallons per tank which shouldnt up the price much but give me about 95.5 octane just for insurance after checking the price recently. only thing is i have to double verify on a place to sell me a drum of it, before deployment i was going to get it from ace hardware but they said they dont show a listing for it anymore.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how much protection do you think that 2.5 points of octane is going to give you? And why on earth would you be tuning so aggro that your motor's health would rely on that?

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
jerryd87

its not agressive at all yet, but im going to tune the timing agressively then pull a degree out of it. between that and a little more octane it should be more then good enough for safety plus give me some leeway if i ever run into a bad batch of gas.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 AM
binder

I see.

have you ever looked into a drum of e98? You could mix up some e30 to get some extra octane and cooling but it wouldn't require a crazy amount of extra injector or pump. Or just run straight e98
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
jerryd87

i did indeed, everyone tells me that they cant ship e85 to island because its "flamable" which ends up with me looking over at the 5 gallon cans of c16,q16, and methanol and asking "isnt all that flamable?" same at home depot they ship all that **** over but for some reason no one can get ethanol.

i looked into distilling my own for fuel purposes as well but im not allowed to on base.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

What are you using to tune your Z?

Sorry didn't read
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM
binder

Originally Posted by KingBaby
What are you using to tune your Z?

Sorry didn't read
haltech
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM
jerryd87

yup haltech, wanna get the new one but im gona save some cash for awhile to please the misses. ive got to find time to come by, between work and school i only get mayby 30 mins a day to mess around with the z. been having issues where it either hunts at idle or it dies occasionally on decel. gona have to just learn to keep it in gear down to 1k rpms from now on then push in the clutch but oh well minor inconvenience. it runs alot better with copy through it just has the die on decel issue if i simply pop it out of gear.

Quick Reply: Back home lets build!