Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Budget Single Turbo Build! High mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:20 PM
le mans sunsetz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my oil every 3k religiously na. Probably worthless but I do. I heard turbo you want to change every 3k and check it often as possible. Finally gonna be doing more work tonight when I'm out of work. As far as the oil goes I'm probably gonna get a pre drilled spacer so I don't have to drill my oil pan. I rather spend the hundred bucks than permanently changing my oil pan. Not to mention it's less likely to go wrong that way.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM
le mans sunsetz

Stay posted. More pics later today. Thanks for all the tips guys
Old 12-14-2014, 03:51 PM
trusovici

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

subbd
Old 12-14-2014, 07:04 PM
le mans sunsetz

Okay guys my knuckles are destroyed after tonight. The down pipe was the most annoying thing to fit in but once in, it does fit. This took me about 2 hours of playing around to get it fitted right. I had to loosen up the exhaust clamp on the piping leading up to the turbo to be able to have the turbo move around to get the down pipe fitted right and when retightening the exhaust clamp, the clamp blew up in my face. It did fit however, it pulled the exhaust piping into the right spot I just simply overtightened it and will have to get a new one. I am hoping they sell them at autozone. I was not supplied with the bolts to fasten the downpipe to the turbo luckily they are the same as the standard exhaust bolts on the z and I have tons of them from previous work. I had the TB piping all fitted up and again I was not supplied with the right bolts and nuts to fit the MAF sensor housing to the intercooler piping and I will have to get some as I couldn't find the right sizes. The turbo intake is in place and has my Nismo air filter on it, I will be replacing the filter. The BOV flange on the intercooler pipe will need drilled as the holes are threaded for the wrong size bolts.. again. I was able to mock it up, but it is not secure. Ran the line from the BOV to plenum. Threw the oil line on the turbo, it does not go to anything yet. Then ran the first intercooler pipe leading out of the compressor. I will be grabbing some drilled aluminum to mount the intercooler. Radiator support will need trimmed to fit IC piping. Ran out of cut off wheels.. will get those also.

Next up hopefully tuesday..

Mount intercooler and all intercooler piping
Finish the rest of the exhaust.
wastegate install.

Last edited by le mans sunsetz; 12-14-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 PM
le mans sunsetz

Honestly all the hardware parts so far seem of quality for such a cheap kit.. I just seem to be having these stupid problems you probably wouldn't have with the higher end kits.. such as missing bolts, clamps breaking, No spare clamps. A ***** to fit some things.. oh and you get no instructions or parts list.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 PM
le mans sunsetz

Also another stupid problem.. That gasket for the down pipe had the holes drilled about 5mm wide. The bolts were 10mm wide and If I were to drill the holes on the gasket any bigger to fit the bolts through I would have destroyed the gasket. The gasket they provided was useless.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:44 PM
le mans sunsetz

Also.. air tools air tools air tools
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM
le mans sunsetz

Okay last thing I promise. Nissan must not know what 3 inches is. The couplers are nearly impossible to fit onto the TB or MAF housing.. They fit perfectly on the turbo and piping but all Nissan made parts are too big it seems. It is the most annoying and tedious thing trying to fit the couplers onto the TB and MAF housing. lol oh well.

Matt out
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

You won't fit the front crash beam back on with that filter
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 AM
le mans sunsetz

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
You won't fit the front crash beam back on with that filter
What filter works for you? And thank you

Last edited by le mans sunsetz; 12-15-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 AM
trusovici

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Boil couplers

I have had success boiling the couplers before trying to install them. The heat makes them a bit easier to fit on and judging by the looks of it, it's probably pretty cold in the garage. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by le mans sunsetz
What filter works for you? And thank you
I don't run the crash bar
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM
le mans sunsetz

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I don't run the crash bar
Ya I wasn't planning to either honestly lol. Have to compensate for the added front
End weight loll
Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay last thing I promise. Nissan must not know what 3 inches is. The couplers are nearly impossible to fit onto the TB or MAF housing.. They fit perfectly on the turbo and piping but all Nissan made parts are too big it seems. It is the most annoying and tedious thing trying to fit the couplers onto the TB and MAF housing. lol oh well.

Matt out
Put the bottom of the coupler on, then work it around and run a small flat blade screwdriver around the edge from the TB side as you push. It'll slip right on. The TB and MAF housing are really more like 3.125" or 3.25" but it's not too hard to get 3" couplers on there. I pieced my Vortech kit together and I just used a 3" 45° at the TB instead of the pipe and couplers:
Budget Single Turbo Build! High mileage-engine.png
Yeah it was a bit of a pain, but it's totally possible.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Get some kind of crash bar. Seriously
Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 AM
andybp

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting read that pipework looks like a real pain your knuckles must be sore
Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM
le mans sunsetz

Okay guys.. Pretty much just waiting on my AAM oil spacer and v band clamp to get here to finish. Another thing.. Im new to turbo installs but I have seen them before and the oil lines for the turbo are usually like an inch or so wide and seem much more heavy duty. The lines I have been given are very thin like 5mm or so. Does this seem right? Also the drain line does not fit any of the oil fittings I have been given. There are about 10 different fittings and only one that fits the lines I was given which I used for the oil feed. All the other ones are various sizes that don't fit anything.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Okay guys.. Pretty much just waiting on my AAM oil spacer and v band clamp to get here to finish. Another thing.. Im new to turbo installs but I have seen them before and the oil lines for the turbo are usually like an inch or so wide and seem much more heavy duty. The lines I have been given are very thin like 5mm or so. Does this seem right? Also the drain line does not fit any of the oil fittings I have been given. There are about 10 different fittings and only one that fits the lines I was given which I used for the oil feed. All the other ones are various sizes that don't fit anything.
Just piece your own oil feed and return stuff together.

Pick a size return line to use with your spacer. I use a -10an into my spacer.

Then get a -4 feed to your turbo. Do some research on that turbo and see if it needs a restrictor. You can tap the little ball bearing thing near the oil pressure port and use that for filtered oil, or put whatever you're using for oil pressure in the spacer, and use the oem pressure sensor location for your feed.

Search around and you should find all the various thread sizes you'd need/taps. I can't remember if I have an AAM spacer, but mine wasn't tapped (although it had a hole for the return).

Check out Racer Parts Wholesale for good deals on aeroquip socketless stuff (hose and an fittings). They will probably have everything you need, anything else hit up summit, and for cheap clamps etc you can try ebay. I personally use clamps and couplers from Treadstone. Down the line you can always try one of their intercoolers. Also be weary of that turbo.
I think the turbonetics kit is a bunch of compromises. It can definitely work, and for the price of this kit, it could be worth it. BUT the turbo if it's an ebay, (I read some of this thread but it's been a while so I can't remember if you changed it or not) it's likely to either not be balanced correctly and have bearing/seal problems.

If I were doing this kind of setup, I'd buy a t3 from precision, maybe an upgraded intercooler, new t-clamps, my own couplers etc.

Last edited by Resmarted; 12-28-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 AM
le mans sunsetz

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Just piece your own oil feed and return stuff together.

Pick a size return line to use with your spacer. I use a -10an into my spacer.

Then get a -4 feed to your turbo. Do some research on that turbo and see if it needs a restrictor. You can tap the little ball bearing thing near the oil pressure port and use that for filtered oil, or put whatever you're using for oil pressure in the spacer, and use the oem pressure sensor location for your feed.

Search around and you should find all the various thread sizes you'd need/taps. I can't remember if I have an AAM spacer, but mine wasn't tapped (although it had a hole for the return).

Check out Racer Parts Wholesale for good deals on aeroquip socketless stuff (hose and an fittings). They will probably have everything you need, anything else hit up summit, and for cheap clamps etc you can try ebay. I personally use clamps and couplers from Treadstone. Down the line you can always try one of their intercoolers. Also be weary of that turbo.
I think the turbonetics kit is a bunch of compromises. It can definitely work, and for the price of this kit, it could be worth it. BUT the turbo if it's an ebay, (I read some of this thread but it's been a while so I can't remember if you changed it or not) it's likely to either not be balanced correctly and have bearing/seal problems.

If I were doing this kind of setup, I'd buy a t3 from precision, maybe an upgraded intercooler, new t-clamps, my own couplers etc.
Its a turbonetics t4 turbo. I figured out why there were no fittings for the return line. I read through the turbonetics install instructions and it uses a rubber hose and barbed fittings for the return... but why did the kit give me 2 braided metal lines and the rubber return line?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM
le mans sunsetz

Also the black can I was refferring to was an oil catch can. are the neccessary

Quick Reply: Budget Single Turbo Build! High mileage