Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35 Build 2nd Try

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

So i can 100% say i've lost power under the curve. I did a few simple not very official tests on the way to and from work tonight. So cruising around 75 in 6th if i punch it with the new intake it kinda just blah, this is at like 3K rpms. With the old intake you could actually feel the torque pulling your forward. I would say the old intake pulls harder going up a 3* incline than the new intake does going down that same 3* incline.

Its hard to explain but it sounds like when i floor it the engine just bogs down and never picks back up. I need to hook up my laptop to log fuel trims to see whats up, my AFR's seem to be ok but the ECU is set to adjust fuel by up to +/- 15% to get the correct AFRs.

I'm going get my go pro out tomorrow and try to take some videos of the different sounds to help this craziness
Old 11-02-2018, 04:57 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

get some dyno pulls in!!

are you dedicated to the Kinetix or would you go back to an OEM intake if the numbers were severe enough?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

The problem is your intake pipe. I've done the testing myself. Specifics are on my thread. Basically, the setup I have now + about 1'6" extension with a 90* bend similar to your injen. I lost almost 1 second 0-60. What you described in reference to the feeling of power loss is EXACTLY what I noticed. The notes I posted above are the best I've found on the subject by a mile.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Conway_160

I've had this same intake for a while now, the only change is the manifold.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:36 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

yeah yeah yeah - that's what I meant!
Originally Posted by Conway_160
I've had this same intake for a while now, the only change is the manifold.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 PM
onevq35de

I know the intake pipe is a problem and unless you've got the SSV, that Velocity plenum should serve you well. There's enough success stories of the Velocity on this site that I'm sure your aware of. I have no experience with it but would be very surprised if nothing but gains were a result of using it. If that's a stock throttle body, that could be you're problem. Also, you're gonna want to get a tune with the Velocity. I can't remember what thread it was but there's a ton of recent info, some of which I contributed and an email from Jason (?) from Kinetix who wrote that a tune is important when using the Velocity. I misunderstood the SSV/Velocity differences and was schooled by several people on this site who've had success, so if they've done well with it, so should you.
If you're gonna get tuned for your current setup, do yourself a favor and ditch the injen for a admin tuning 3.5 or make your own 4" like I did and get a 75mm t.b. before the tune. LMT's 4" has an unnecessary bend in it imo.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:24 AM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by onevq35de
The problem is your intake pipe. I've done the testing myself. Specifics are on my thread. Basically, the setup I have now + about 1'6" extension with a 90* bend similar to your injen. I lost almost 1 second 0-60. What you described in reference to the feeling of power loss is EXACTLY what I noticed. The notes I posted above are the best I've found on the subject by a mile.
Depending on the losses i may switch back to the OEM while im N/A. If/When i do go forced induction again i will have to see the differences between the OEM and Kinetix.

I know the intake pipe is a problem and unless you've got the SSV, that Velocity plenum should serve you well. There's enough success stories of the Velocity on this site that I'm sure your aware of. I have no experience with it but would be very surprised if nothing but gains were a result of using it. If that's a stock throttle body, that could be you're problem. Also, you're gonna want to get a tune with the Velocity. I can't remember what thread it was but there's a ton of recent info, some of which I contributed and an email from Jason (?) from Kinetix who wrote that a tune is important when using the Velocity. I misunderstood the SSV/Velocity differences and was schooled by several people on this site who've had success, so if they've done well with it, so should you.
If you're gonna get tuned for your current setup, do yourself a favor and ditch the injen for a admin tuning 3.5 or make your own 4" like I did and get a 75mm t.b. before the tune. LMT's 4" has an unnecessary bend in it imo.
Ok i'm confused and i apologize for this, but your saying that my current Injen Long intake is whats holding the car back? That doesn't make sense to me. I used the same Injen intake with my OEM plenum with a 5/16 spacer and made 280whp. So one would be willing to bet a whole lot of money that the amount of air the injen intake system is capable of providing to the kinetix manifold should be sufficient to also make the same ~280whp.

The only way i can see this not being true would be if the velocity of the air inside of the OEM plenum is faster than the kinetix with the current volume of air that the intake system is limiting it to.

Maybe thats why the kinetix is meant for higher reving/boosted applications because it doesn't have the same Velocity to Volume diminishing returns as the stock manifold.

Could it be that with the Kinetix's design it needs way air volume to get the same velocity's as a OEM plenum? Which is why i'm actually loosing power???

HELP ME I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 AM
onevq35de

Read the notes in quotes I posted above - shorter, larger diameter intake pipes with as few and as slight bends as possible, then look at the injen. This is why the Admin Tuning and LMT's intake are the way they are. These are the 2 best intakes $ can buy for the VQ35DE. Interestingly, they happen to fit the description of the quote I have posted above (here is the link to that info again Easy Performance CAI System Design Consideration Primer ).
The guy with the fastest naturally aspirated Z also had an elongated intake pipe, thought it didn't have the nasty bend at the filter. If he would've done what I've done which is keeping the pipe as short as possible AND building an air box to prevent hot engine bay air from the filter, he would've gotten even better results but his n.a. setup is the best I've seen besides this.
Admin Tuning makes long "cold air" intake pipes for the HR's where they have dramatic bends at the filters and are really long. I think his (Moncef) thinking is that the larger dual pipes are so much better than the stock sized pipes that he can afford to put the filters behind the grill. If air boxes were made to fit, the HR's could avoid such long pipes and get much more power and a much better looking chart.

Here's a quote from this part of my thread regarding the extension you see in the 2 pic's above;
" What not to do when making your own 4" intake. I was hoping for good results by extending the intake to get the filter down nto the wheel well. I don't know what hurt me more, the added length, the 45* bend or both. I ran a 6.8 0-60 on the same road that I took a photo of on page 3 or whatevers. Just felt like a dog off the line and I could tell it was working overtime to bring in fresh air. I couldn't believe how negatively the performance was effected. My old tuner told me if I get it right, it'll make good power and if not, it won't. Guess I got lucky the first time around and had I done it with the 45* from the start, I probably would've thrown the idea out the window along with the intake. I took off the 45* pipe and went back out and ran a 5.6 0-60 on the inclined road with a heat soaked engine, no heat shield and 91* iat's.... "

I have made further modifications since then and run a 14.0 1/4 and 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in an FX that stock ran a mid 15 . My dyno charts will not impress most with peak numbers but it's not all about peak numbers. It's faster than most if not all FX's with Stillen freaking superchargers, not due solely to the intake mod's but they play a BIG role.

If you've got the time, I've put a lot of effort into recording what I've done and the results I've gotten. The thread isn't just about the intake mod's I've made, but all the mod's and the details of them are all available on my thread free of charge .

It all starts here; https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...e-mods.230572/

Here's what the pipe looks like now minus the 75mm t.b. that's on now.

Here it is all buttoned up;

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-03-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Conway_160

Read the notes in quotes I posted above - shorter, larger diameter intake pipes with as few and as slight bends as possible, then look at the injen. This is why the Admin Tuning and LMT's intake are the way they are. These are the 2 best intakes $ can buy for the VQ35DE. Interestingly, they happen to fit the description of the quote I have posted above (here is the link to that info again Easy Performance CAI System Design Consideration Primer ).
The guy with the fastest naturally aspirated Z also had an elongated intake pipe, thought it didn't have the nasty bend at the filter. If he would've done what I've done which is keeping the pipe as short as possible AND building an air box to prevent hot engine bay air from the filter, he would've gotten even better results but his n.a. setup is the best I've seen besides this.
Admin Tuning makes long "cold air" intake pipes for the HR's where they have dramatic bends at the filters and are really long. I think his (Moncef) thinking is that the larger dual pipes are so much better than the stock sized pipes that he can afford to put the filters behind the grill. If air boxes were made to fit, the HR's could avoid such long pipes and get much more power and a much better looking chart.

Here's a quote from this part of my thread regarding the extension you see in the 2 pic's above;
" What not to do when making your own 4" intake. I was hoping for good results by extending the intake to get the filter down nto the wheel well. I don't know what hurt me more, the added length, the 45* bend or both. I ran a 6.8 0-60 on the same road that I took a photo of on page 3 or whatevers. Just felt like a dog off the line and I could tell it was working overtime to bring in fresh air. I couldn't believe how negatively the performance was effected. My old tuner told me if I get it right, it'll make good power and if not, it won't. Guess I got lucky the first time around and had I done it with the 45* from the start, I probably would've thrown the idea out the window along with the intake. I took off the 45* pipe and went back out and ran a 5.6 0-60 on the inclined road with a heat soaked engine, no heat shield and 91* iat's.... "

I have made further modifications since then and run a 14.0 1/4 and 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in an FX that stock ran a mid 15 . My dyno charts will not impress most with peak numbers but it's not all about peak numbers. It's faster than most if not all FX's with Stillen freaking superchargers, not due solely to the intake mod's but they play a BIG role.

If you've got the time, I've put a lot of effort into recording what I've done and the results I've gotten. The thread isn't just about the intake mod's I've made, but all the mod's and the details of them are all available on my thread free of charge .

It all starts here; https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...e-mods.230572/

Here's what the pipe looks like now minus the 75mm t.b. that's on now.

Here it is all buttoned up;

I get what you're saying i really do, the thing i don't get though is why does the injen intake not affect the stock manifold like it does the kinetix?

So i went and did some testing. If you look at the intake you will notice the Injen intake is two different pieces. The top piece starts at 3" and tapers down to the stock 2.5" to go into the stock throttle body. The bottom piece that goes into the fender wheel is 3" the whole way. So i hooked the 3" piece to the throttle body and left the longer 2.5" section in the fender wheel since i still use the MAF for IATs. It worked better than i thought it would, the sound of the car changed and it seemed to hit 85 semi quick. I did this "test" 4 or 5 times and the results were quite similar.

So i came home and hooked up it all back up the proper way, and went back out. It seemed a little slower and the sound was back to odd. I also noticed that at 5500 i would start to get some very odd noise harmonics coming out of the intake. I didn't have them when i ran only the 3" portion of the intake. I just need to get on the dam dyno to get definitive answers.

Intake
Old 11-03-2018, 07:21 AM
onevq35de

This Kinetix plenum you have is called the "Velocity". My $ is on the pipe and the stock throttle body f'n up the flow. Look at the successful n.a. setups of those that have used the Kinetix. What's different?
You have a little more $ to spend if you want the best possible outcome (minus the possible potential of individual throttle bodies) and if you're going back to FI, I'd keep it like it is to help motivate you to get what you really want.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Conway_160

So purty.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Ahh it begins...
Conway_160 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Conway_160

So, if all works out i should be getting Kinetix manifold tested in a few days.

In other news....

Looking good....

Still need:
Injectors
3" Intercooler Piping
Serpentine Belt
Cog Belt.
BluestreamDE (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Happy I could help your build along! Text me or PM if you have any more questions!

I suggest If possible to do the Tension pulley mod right beside the Serpentine pulley for better belt grip, this would result in needing a slightly longer belt tho so you will need to measure with some yarn to give you a starting point.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Happy I could help your build along! Text me or PM if you have any more questions!

I suggest If possible to do the Tension pulley mod right beside the Serpentine pulley for better belt grip, this would result in needing a slightly longer belt tho so you will need to measure with some yarn to give you a starting point.
Thanks for everything good sir!
Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Conway_160

Tomorrow i will be sending out the blower to get a rebuilt, ordering some 3" piping for the Inter cooler. I suppose it time to quite being a bum and try to get the car running on boost.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Nice! I had good results buying 3" aluminum off ebay as long as it was 6061. It welded like you'd expect.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM
Conway_160

Well spend the better part of last night and this morning trying to mount the intercooler and fab up the intercooler piping. Here is what i have learned,

THIS FCKING BLOWS!

Went to lowes last night and bought two https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-12-in-1...Strap/50325307 To support the intercooler. The down side is I need to make two 45* bends so that the intercooler is about 1/2" below the radiator, so that my front airbag sensor will clear the top of the intercooler. I currently don't have a away to bend it so that is making things more complicated....

I also realized that the intercooler piping kit i had doesn't have all the piping i need with out hacking and slashing it all up.

As it looks right now i have to wait until the blower gets back in a few weeks to figure out how to route the rest of the piping.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
onevq35de

Relocate your air bag sensor to the intercooler. Then you don't have to work around it and it will work as it's intended. If you do, disc. the battery 1st.
bealljk (01-04-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Conway_160

Talked with 928Motorsports, my supercharger is in the next batch to get fixed. So that means early next week, so i should have the blower back in two weeks im hoping. As soon as i can find a reasonably priced 80lb Argon Bottle i should be able to start practicing TiG Welding on Aluminum. Other than that nothing new to report.

Quick Reply: G35 Build 2nd Try