Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2018 Forced Induction VQ Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2018 Forced Induction VQ Tuning Thread

I thought it might be a good idea for us to have a central thread where we could discuss tuning for our turbocharged/supercharged VQ cars. Give us a spot to pool our collective knowledge/experience.

I’ve predominately worked with ProEFI on a few VQ’s and Supra’s, a bit of familiarity with Haltech software too though.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Forced Induction VQ Tuning Thread-g35_xact_dyno.jpg   2018 Forced Induction VQ Tuning Thread-350z_xact_dyno.jpg  

Last edited by thatv35guy; 07-03-2018 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Edit: Maybe we should have a new FI VQ tuning thread?
As to not hijack Silva's thread...Circa 2018 FI Tuning Thread

Originally Posted by TT03Z
Another feature I'd like to figure out or see if the Haltech has is working on maps off line.
I think you can do this ... I open the software, open my map I want to modify (ie not in the car) make whatever changes, save the map and then go upload to the car and reset the ECU(Control + F12)...am I missing something?

I know Haltech platinum's have coolant and air temp correction tables, there's also correction for ignition timing for coolant & air too. You should be able to tell real quick if those tables are populated.
Yeah, I have those for sure but nothing much fancier than that!

I think there's a way to track the % of correction in the log too so you'll be able to see exactly what compensation your ECU's making. Think the channel is Fuel - Cool Temp Corr and Ignition - Cool Temp Corr, should give you a % value.

Edit: Maybe we should have a new FI VQ tuning thread?
I run a channel showing my O2 correction on my interface. I think you have to have Haltech's widebands installed for this to function as closed loop fuel control in conjunction with the target table.

I'll look for the Fuel/Ign - ECT Correction channel

Last edited by bealljk; 07-03-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:18 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a Haltech platinum box on mine if anyone has questions.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

^whats your method for auto-datalogging? Do you use the haltech onboard system? If so, what do you use as the channel activation?

came across this...

Meatbag - so if I want to use on\board activation and I want it to start recording when I hit boost (ie 0psi manifold pressure) I select my activation for 'manifold pressure' at '0 psi' - is it safe to assume it'll record when manifold pressure is at 0 psi, and above 0 psi, and while I'm in boost and then it'll deactive once I drop below 0psi? (I thought I did this but my datalog didn't indicate this methodology) - much appreciated

Last edited by bealljk; 07-06-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM
meatbag

I use a laptop if im trying to datalog for any tuning, ill just use the onboard in a pinch. Channel activation will just depend on what im looking for. If its cruising stuff i usually use mph, if its at an event or racing, TPS or MAP or whatever turns it on when im trying to log a problem area.

Last edited by meatbag; 07-06-2018 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (07-06-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Well my data logging question has been answered thanks guys. I run an AEM wideband that I have wired from the sensor portion of the gauge to the ecu so I can monitor and log 02. Will that enable fuel correction if the ECU sees an 02 signal? Ill have to go through my fuel/ignition correction tables and see if theres even anything there. I've noticed my car struggles to idle when its warmer outside but A/F stays constant at 13.5-1. Also when its warmer the A/F is consistently .3 richer than when cooler. We tuned the car at 11.6 on pump93/110 mix. When its warmer I see 11.3-11.2. I'm going to guess that has everything to do with with fuel correction tables. Also Im getting to the point of wanting to do some boost by gear things. I have been using an AEM true boost gauge/controller which so far has been great. I have the Haltech aux plug wired for to control the AEM mac3 solenoid I just have to plug it in. So i know theres a open loop and closed loop function for boost control which one do i use for boost by gear?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TT03Z
Well my data logging question has been answered thanks guys. I run an AEM wideband that I have wired from the sensor portion of the gauge to the ecu so I can monitor and log 02. Will that enable fuel correction if the ECU sees an 02 signal? Ill have to go through my fuel/ignition correction tables and see if theres even anything there. I've noticed my car struggles to idle when its warmer outside but A/F stays constant at 13.5-1. Also when its warmer the A/F is consistently .3 richer than when cooler. We tuned the car at 11.6 on pump93/110 mix. When its warmer I see 11.3-11.2. I'm going to guess that has everything to do with with fuel correction tables. Also Im getting to the point of wanting to do some boost by gear things. I have been using an AEM true boost gauge/controller which so far has been great. I have the Haltech aux plug wired for to control the AEM mac3 solenoid I just have to plug it in. So i know theres a open loop and closed loop function for boost control which one do i use for boost by gear?
As far as O2 Control, I think if you go to Setup/Main Setup/Advanced, under the 'Functions' column you should just have to click 'O2 Control'.

I'd log a quick pull from the bottom of third gear to redline with O2 Control disabled. Then enable O2 Control and and make another identical pull and see what the variance is between the two logs.

Log the percentage of correction too.

Last edited by thatv35guy; 07-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as O2 Control, I think if you go to Setup/Main Setup/Advanced, under the 'Functions' column you should just have to click 'O2 Control'.

I'd log a quick pull from the bottom of third gear to redline with O2 Control disabled. Then enable O2 Control and and make another identical pull and see what the variance is between the two logs.

Log the percentage of correction too.
Thanks for the advice I will try that the next time I have the car out. Another thing I've been wondering...is it possible to work on fuel/timing ect. maps offline? Is that accessable through the data log veiwer? I will probably be switching to e85 pretty soon and would like to go through at least my fuel map and do the ethanol conversion in the comfort of my home instead of sweating my nuts off in the garage.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM
meatbag

Originally Posted by bealljk
^whats your method for auto-datalogging? Do you use the haltech onboard system? If so, what do you use as the channel activation?

came across this...
https://youtu.be/njyf2FITzZs

Meatbag - so if I want to use on\board activation and I want it to start recording when I hit boost (ie 0psi manifold pressure) I select my activation for 'manifold pressure' at '0 psi' - is it safe to assume it'll record when manifold pressure is at 0 psi, and above 0 psi, and while I'm in boost and then it'll deactive once I drop below 0psi? (I thought I did this but my datalog didn't indicate this methodology) - much appreciated
Something else is keeping it from activating then