Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

750HP Procharged 350Z? YES YOU CAN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:33 AM
swinke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 750HP Procharged 350Z? YES YOU CAN!

I spoke to tech at ATI this morning and discussed the potential max output of the ATI/350Z/C2 compressor/intercooler combo. If you build the motor low compression and build it stout enough the current ATI-Procharger C2 will handle up to 750hp with the IC that comes with the kit. They will sell you the correct pullies for the install. The max impellor RPM listed in the manual is incorrect. There is plenty more to be had with the kit in its current form. Thought you'd all like to know if you didn’t already. The tech I spoke to said the max RPM on the C2 is around 80k. The manual says 65k. Apparently the manual is incorrect.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:29 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, nice news! ATI has some serious potential then.

I'd like to see the belt on a 750hp procharged z. That thing better be heavy duty!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:31 AM
abogada001

Actually the manual says 80k and the max safe range is closer to 100k. Of course there is no warranty associated with using the compressor at higher speeds. The issue w/ 750hp is engine management at this point. As things stand right now I believe Motec is the best bet. I will have a completed motor finished in a few weeks and will most likely be using the M800 with a completed upgraded fuel sys(w/ return). Will keep you posted.

Robin
Old 03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
swinke

Originally posted by abogada001
Actually the manual says 80k and the max safe range is closer to 100k. Of course there is no warranty associated with using the compressor at higher speeds. The issue w/ 750hp is engine management at this point. As things stand right now I believe Motec is the best bet. I will have a completed motor finished in a few weeks and will most likely be using the M800 with a completed upgraded fuel sys(w/ return). Will keep you posted.

Robin
Until this morning I had been convinced that the ProCharger had a max RPM of 65k. Don’t remember where I got this number, thought it was in manual. You are correct, the manual says 80k. I had already considered looking into another FI solution because of this. The great news is after spending $6000+ to have the ProCharger I can still achieve the goal of more power if I build the motor. I am sure that there are lots of other solutions available now. Some of them may even be better solutions. When I purchased the ProCharger kit (summer 03’) there were no other solutions. I am now very happy to find that I can achieve my goal with the hardware I already paid for. I did not post this info to be interpreted as a great solution, the only solution, or the most ideal solution. For the folks out there with aspirations to go beyond what the stock ProCharger (that you spent $6k’s on already) setup can do, you can. If ya got the coin to build it, 750hp is possible and you don’t have to start over on the FI kit. Great news for me, hope it is for other ProCharger owners as well!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:52 AM
swinke

Originally posted by abogada001

Robin
Does MoTec make a pre-wired solution for the 350Z? How does the traction/skid control tie in? Does the traction/skid/ABS work properly with this setup?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:03 AM
abogada001

My intention is to change the L/S to a Nismo there won't be traction control via the VSS sys. ABS should work fine though. As far as I know there is no plug and play unit available right now. There are certainly some trade-offs with high boost high HP standalone systems the stock traction control is one of them.

As to many other solutions out there, there seem to be plenty of mechanical sys. available but the EM issues are not really up to par or at least up to maximizing potential. Seems like most have fuel systems maxed out and reflashes on the ECU. It would be nice to have an affordable ECU replacement with things like WB O2 feedback, loggging, etc. I would venture to guess that is the reason there are only a few cars over the 400rwhp mark and really none that have lasted over 500hp(at least that I have seen).

Robin
Old 03-19-2004, 10:21 AM
bobowah

this is great!!! but how much money are you going to spend on converting your car to a low compression motor and all the ecu work that's necessary...
Old 03-19-2004, 10:29 AM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by bobowah
this is great!!! but how much money are you going to spend on converting your car to a low compression motor and all the ecu work that's necessary...
Probably enough to buy another base model Z.....
Seriously this is no Joke..Robin is droping some serious coin into her car and if she can get a good engine management to work with the car..Well..Then, just FEAR HER!!!!
The problem is MOTEC is some SERIOUS cash and a friend of mine already had The factory techs from MOTEC come down and map his car for it..But he is still undecided right now,but for him $$$$ is no issue he planned well in advance for this project..
Old 03-19-2004, 02:19 PM
abogada001

At this point most has been spent already....and prob. more like enough for another G35 forget the base model

Robin
Old 03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
peptidbond

There is another thread going now about the stand alone HKS FCON V-Pro. The writer mentioned that they now have a 350z harness. I know very little about this, but Robin, you might want to take a look. He even has links to the products. They are supposed to be on sale now. He claims to have purchased the FCON, wiring adaptor, MAP+AIT sensors, and knock amp+wideband for around $2000 I think. Just thought this would be helpful.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:52 PM
abogada001

THanks, I talked to Charles a few months ago about this very thing as well as getting his block sleeved etc. I just sent him a PM so hopefully this will be a good solution!!!

Robin
Old 03-19-2004, 06:29 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by peptidbond
There is another thread going now about the stand alone HKS FCON V-Pro. The writer mentioned that they now have a 350z harness. I know very little about this, but Robin, you might want to take a look. He even has links to the products. They are supposed to be on sale now. He claims to have purchased the FCON, wiring adaptor, MAP+AIT sensors, and knock amp+wideband for around $2000 I think. Just thought this would be helpful.

And another $5000+ to map it and tune it..
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 PM
swinke

Originally posted by daking350
And another $5000+ to map it and tune it..
That’s about right!

I don’t need someone to tune my Z. I will not pay anyone for it.

There should be a standalone solution out soon. I'll be waiting.

HKS and there dealer only cr@p is about like having to see a doctor for nicotine patches! That was pretty stupid back in the day! Nicotine was legal in tobacco products but not legal in the quitting tobacco use products? WTF!

If you cant see it the similarity I am trying to draw its this; ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!
Old 03-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The first person (i.e. moron) to kill himself with multiple nicotine patches would sue the company beyond belief. THAT is the reason they make you see a doctor first. So you can then just SUE THE DOCTOR instead of them.

You can thank the malpractice/product liability lawyers for your having to see a doc to get them. It's not about money unless you mean the money the attorney gets for the lawsuit and the money the company doesn't want to lose as a result.

Someone in another thread mentioned that the FDA withholds cancer drugs for people dying of cancer. Guess what. It's the same thing here.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:43 AM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
The first person (i.e. moron) to kill himself with multiple nicotine patches would sue the company beyond belief. THAT is the reason they make you see a doctor first. So you can then just SUE THE DOCTOR instead of them.

You can thank the malpractice/product liability lawyers for your having to see a doc to get them. It's not about money unless you mean the money the attorney gets for the lawsuit and the money the company doesn't want to lose as a result.

Someone in another thread mentioned that the FDA withholds cancer drugs for people dying of cancer. Guess what. It's the same thing here.
Wow..Someone found the Doc's nerve... I guess I would get pissed too if I was paying $20000-$50000 a year for malpractice insurance so IDIOTS can not sue you...

Any way back on topic..
I think HKS's approach is smart..You obviously would need them to set up the unit with some sort of baseline map to get you up and running..But I would think that after that some very minor changes would be made by the owner as needed..Some times too much control over things is a BAD thing..You would have more idiots killing themselves if they were allowed to write their own prescriptions...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Sorry to to off topic again but:

I guess I would get pissed too if I was paying $20000-$50000 a year for malpractice insurance so IDIOTS can not sue you...
20 to 50 thousand? Are you kidding? I pay more than 100K for malpractice and in Philly, they pay 150-200K!!

Also, the fact that we pay malpractice premiums doesn't mean that people "CAN'T" sue us. They CAN and DO! That's why we HAVE to pay these prices!

Sorry for the rant!
Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
swinke

Originally posted by Dr Bonz

Even further off topic!!

As usual Doc you never fail to educate me on your posts. That’s very interesting..... The pharm co's use the doctors insurance to shield themselves from liability! Hell, I'd never have thought of that one. So if something goes wrong they blame the doc for malpractice and try to claim that he mis-prescibed/diagnosed leaving them blameless?

I had to ask
Old 03-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Well, in effect, yes. If a drug isn't tested thoroughly by the FDA, and it was sold by a Pharm. company, they would be BIG TIME liable if ANYTHING went wrong.

In the case of the Nicotine patches, again, if it's OTC (with no need for an Rx from a doc) the company has to make absolutley sure it is safe and can't be misused, abused, or that it can't harm anyone.

If it requires an Rx, the doc then has to assume the liability to an extent. Don't get me wrong, the smart attorney will STILL sue the Pharm. company, but now the liability is shared with the doc.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:35 PM
CaneZMD

Preach on Doc!
The pharm companies aren't the bad guys here. They may "hide"
behind us Docs, but it's only because they don't want to get sued for people who misuse their product. Part of the reason drugs and insurance are so costly is because of the enormous malpractice premiums the companies have to pay to protect themselves. If Doc pays 100k imagine how much Blue Cross, Merck, etc pay for insurance.

Pa is a pretty bad state for malpractice, probably slighlty worse than florida. I work at Jackson Memorial, which is mostly funded publicly. Whick makes it really ironic when you get sued for malpractice by patients who paid absolutely nothing for their care.