PPE Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by secwind
I posted a gallery here.
http://imgur.com/a/cpXLb

Only problem with Tomei is the inlet diameter causing some rasp and hiss.
60.5mm (2.38") to 70.5mm (2.78")

I will have to live with the extra rasp/hiss until I can find a 2.5" to 3" that fit better than XYZ.
i too have experienced this rasp with the Tomei ypipe and went with the Motordyne XYZ instead. if you go to the motordyne vs tomei thread you can see my comparison pics of the pipes. my thought is the Tomei titanium is super thin walled and theres almost a 90 degree angle in the design probably causing some flow turbulence. I did notice the same fitment issue on the Motordyne that you did but with a little patience it all bolts up fine after some adjustment. definitely a tight fit.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM
secwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some old videos with XYZ, I might have posted before earlier in the thread. I will try to get some new vids over the weekend.

Hard pulls: 0:05 4:17 6:21 13:42

Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM
A-Town-Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Let's hear this thing sing...

I don't mind rasp...it's like shots with no chaser
Fawking awesome analogy! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:25 PM
HarleyDobbs

Been meaning to post on here but I pulled the trigger on these about 2 weeks ago. Spoke with Paul Friday and the headers should be in coating tomorrow for guaranteed delivery 23rd or the 24th. Hope to see good gains...car made 395 w/direct port nitrous and 284 n/a.

Currently have ART's, MD TDX2 and stock headers as current exhaust set up. ART's will be for sale once header goes on the week of X-Mas hopefully.

Tune will happen Jan 11th on the same dyno where the previous numbers came from and tuned buy the same tuner. #'s will be slightly skewed due to colder weather but we will work that out

Last edited by HarleyDobbs; 12-15-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Suwaidi

Very very interested in your results. Have the same setup (+cams), and have been wanting to pull the trigger on these for a while. Do you know what kind of Dyno you'll be on?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
Very very interested in your results. Have the same setup (+cams), and have been wanting to pull the trigger on these for a while. Do you know what kind of Dyno you'll be on?
Dyno Dynamics
Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Suwaidi

Assuming the 284 N/A was on the same dyno, excited to see the increase!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 AM
HarleyDobbs

Assuming the 284 N/A was on the same dyno, excited to see the increase!
Yeah all numbers are on the same Dyno. There is only one garage that will tune my car and do anything nitrous and that is Hill's Garage. I'm in VA but I'll drive to MD...that's how good no...great they are. All #'s come from their dyno/Tuning Tech TS who they are paired with.

So besides weather all variables should be about the same. I feel staying with the same Dyno is a better way to get more accurate numbers relative to the changes you make to the car. Helps to make sure changes being made are making power to taking power. Some dynos read higher, lower, ect...

A lot of people have this set-up out there, MD TDX2 and ART, but they are leery on the power gain to $ ratio for LTH so we will see.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Suwaidi

As long as some gains are present, I'd be down to order a set. After cams, there's only so much room to grow while staying N/A.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 AM
HarleyDobbs

You got it my friend! With Z cars you have to pay to play and be willing to spend some change!

I also have a custom direct port nitrous set up and I want to see how the nitrous will react honestly.

You share my same philosophy...just as long and improvements are made...sign me up!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM
HarleyDobbs

Headers came back from the coater and they look good! Hope they go on in a week and I'll post some sound clips.
-----

Last edited by HarleyDobbs; 12-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So a little over a year after the group buy, I've finally got these headers installed. Took 16 hours over the course of two days working at a leisurely pace with a friend, who had experience installing them already, and using jack stands.

In short, the hardest part about the installation were the coolant hose clamps, especially the ones with double bands and bleeding out air bubbles. Broke both of them and replaced them with regular hose clamps. Reinstalling those tubes were also tedious.

I have my AC removed so I had more room on the driver's side. Most nuts were removed with a ratchet and breaker bar. When a ratchet didnt fit, old fashion wrenches did the job. Double wrench method to break loose nuts and torque them down. Swivel head ratcheting wrenches also helped for the most aft lower rear nuts. To my surprise all nuts came out clean. No striped heads or threads! Pb blaster must have helped.

After the OEM manifolds were removed, remove steering column shaft, both driver's side and passenger side were fitted into place fairly easily. Took a couple tries with different positions but wasnt difficult. I personally thought that would be the most difficult step because I was reusing stock hardware.

Bolted the PPE with as much torque as I could put on all the nuts. Space was too limited to use a torque wrench. This worked as no leaks were found from the block to the headers. Also reused stock gasket here too.

MD xyz-pipe back on with ease, no fitment issues with alignment. I hear an exhaust leak somewhere though. Likely at the vband clamp so I'll be picking up some new gaskets and a new vband to sort that out.

One other long tedious step was the rewiring of the front o2 sensors. I took about 2 hours doing both and wrapping then with loom and thermal tape because a friend warned his wiring melted.

I had ART pipes before and it didnt sound like it is much louder at idle, but it opens up pretty well at 3.5k. Spinning first and second now. Mild idle, hint of sweeping for a spot but car doesnt wanna die. Will need to retune whenever I get a chance, but for now the butt dyno registers a small gain in the mid range section and peak. I'd like to do more pulls but by the time you finish second gear your already at the speed limit and the car is loud enough to attract attention.

All in all, Im pretty pleased of the quality of the PPE headers - Fit and finish. In retrospect I would have opted for the higher temp coating, but for regular driving the standard coating seems fine. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voboy
All in all, Im pretty pleased of the quality of the PPE headers - Fit and finish. In retrospect I would have opted for the higher temp coating, but for regular driving the standard coating seems fine. Cheers.
Now time to put it to the test. Put it on the dyno, and tune that bad boy!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Suwaidi

Be sure to post dyno #'s before/after today!

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
Been meaning to post on here but I pulled the trigger on these about 2 weeks ago. Spoke with Paul Friday and the headers should be in coating tomorrow for guaranteed delivery 23rd or the 24th. Hope to see good gains...car made 395 w/direct port nitrous and 284 n/a.

Currently have ART's, MD TDX2 and stock headers as current exhaust set up. ART's will be for sale once header goes on the week of X-Mas hopefully.

Tune will happen Jan 11th on the same dyno where the previous numbers came from and tuned buy the same tuner. #'s will be slightly skewed due to colder weather but we will work that out
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

no no how differennt

not a street race, but a flyby for audible enjoyment
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

Legit Moderator.....

-.-
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after reading through here, I didn't really see anyone's setup where they have HFCs. I understand these are LTHs and are meant to eliminate HFCs/test pipe setups. However, I live in a area where a catalytic is required. I don't want to get the PPEs and be forced to go to single exit like a Tomei/agency/AAM. I did see a couple setups using the XYZ pipe, then the nismo mid pipe & muffler. If I went that route I would have to get the XYZ with the HFC. Is this my only option other than trying to pull different bits from different systems to keep a true dual setup with a catalytic?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Suwaidi

With the Motordyne TDX2, you have an option of ordering HFC's built into the midpipes. You could always fabricate high flow cats into your existing exhaust setup too, or just order the Motordyne Y pipe and use their HFC module. I personally plan on ordering the hfc midpipes for my tdx2.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Motordyne TDX2, you have an option of ordering HFC's built into the midpipes. You could always fabricate high flow cats into your existing exhaust setup too, or just order the Motordyne Y pipe and use their HFC module. I personally plan on ordering the hfc midpipes for my tdx2.
Oh, did not know that. That sounds like better than an option I was just researching. The Invidia N1 system looks to be a Y-pipe back exhaust, and it doesn't sound too bad. The PPEs, XYZ w/HFC, and the N1 would probably sound pretty good. However, PPE & HFC TDX2....anybody have video of this?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Suwaidi

Haven't seen anyone running that setup yet, I know the videos on YouTube consist of PPE + S-Tune / Invidia Gemini / Shockwave (Motordyne V1) / Tomei TI / AAM Single. Personally I'd get the PPE's installed before swapping exhausts, that way you'll know how it sounds paired to your current setup. If you swap both at once, you might not like the result.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 03-09-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: PPE Longtube Headers