Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Replaced steering wheel and now have airbag, VDC, and SLIP lights

Old 07-24-2005, 07:08 PM
trackpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced steering wheel and now have airbag, VDC, and SLIP lights

I replaced my steering wheel with another factory steering wheel because my leather was wearing out on mine. So anyways i disconnected the battery and put on the new steering wheel with my old airbag. And now the airbag light will flash AND the VDC and SLIP lights are on and will not go off. I have absolutley no clue why it's doing this. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Blue 03 Z

The air bag light might just have to be reset. There is a reset procedure for it in the service manual pm me if you need it sent to you. Hopefully you were gentle with the clockspring when you took the wheel off.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:27 AM
trackpilot

Thanks i sent you a PM.
Also i have no clue about the clock spring....
Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM
NISMOFO

I had a friend replace his steering wheel under warranty because of the leather being worn. I've always wanted to do that with mine, but I doubt they'd give in.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
trackpilot

Well i got the airbag light to turn off by doing the key trick. But still as soon as i start to drive the slip will come on and automatically activate the brakes and then both the traction control and slip lights will come on and it will drive fine...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
gt3

The fix is easy, but tedious!!. It happened to me before as well...I hope you will understand the following:

You left the steering sensor (located in the black spiral cable disc directly underneath the steering wheel which you can turn) in the wrong location when you reinstalled the steering wheel. I have attached a picture of the black spiral cable disc outlined by the red circle. The steering wheel sensor is sending back that your wheels are turned when they are actually straight, thus setting off VDC. You just need to turn the spiral cable disc back to its true center position. What you need to figure out is how many 360 degree turn(s) your sensor is off by in the wrong direction. First try to figure out which direction you turn the steering wheel sets off the VDC. Then remove the steering wheel, turn the spiral cable disc by a full 360 degree in the opposite direction (at least that's what I remember). Reinstall the steering wheel and retest. Hopefully you are only off by 1 full turn. Volia!! you fixed your problem. Let me know if you need any further help.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced steering wheel and now have airbag, VDC, and SLIP lights-spiral-cable.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
trackpilot

Originally Posted by gt3
The fix is easy, but tedious!!. It happened to me before as well...I hope you will understand the following:

You left the steering sensor (located in the black spiral cable disc directly underneath the steering wheel which you can turn) in the wrong location when you reinstalled the steering wheel. I have attached a picture of the black spiral cable disc outlined by the red circle. The steering wheel sensor is sending back that your wheels are turned when they are actually straight, thus setting off VDC. You just need to turn the spiral cable disc back to its true center position. What you need to figure out is how many 360 degree turn(s) your sensor is off by in the wrong direction. First try to figure out which direction you turn the steering wheel sets off the VDC. Then remove the steering wheel, turn the spiral cable disc by a full 360 degree in the opposite direction (at least that's what I remember). Reinstall the steering wheel and retest. Hopefully you are only off by 1 full turn. Volia!! you fixed your problem. Let me know if you need any further help.

OMG you are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think spinning it around would mess anything up. But all i had to do is do one full 360 to the right and now it's perfect! And to think i was actually going to have to take it to Nissan since i was stumped on this one. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
gt3

Yeah I almost took the car back to Nissan when I had the problem. Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I thought this would be great to bring back, since a few people are installing aftermarket wheels, and some are having this problem. Myself included. I am going to go to the garage and see if this will work for me. If this does When need to Put this in the DIY
Old 12-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Ismaelespinoza

Originally Posted by gt3

I installed my headers and had to disconnect the steering column and when putting it back i did spin it a few times trying to get it right!�� Do I need to do it from the bottom or can I fix it from the top by removing the wheel??
Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Ismaelespinoza

Originally Posted by gt3

Hey I'm having this same problem. I installed my headers and disconnected the steering column when putting it back I turned it a few times not knowing it would mess anything up. My question is if I disconnect the steering column again and do I just turn it until the light goes off or do I need to rest it after every turn in order for the light to go off?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:23 AM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try and wake this thread back up. I myself have a air bag. Slip. Vdc light that is on. I did all of the above. Lol. Removed my steering shaft to get motor out, steering wheel was somewhat disassembled to get to trim pieces. Like I said I have all them lights on as well as my left turn signal will not cancel out after turn. I have no clue where to even start. Anyone have and ideas?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3

This is what you need to do, end of story...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimsZee
This is what you need to do, end of story...
Fixed it!!! All good
Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 PM
Markg35broken

Default I’m so close

I have been trying to do what your saying and im so close if u turn it a little to the left when the wheel is back on the vdc comes on but when I take it off and turn the steering sensor to try to get it to the perfect position it just won’t it keeps turning on the light no matter how many times idk if it’s just off by 1 degree or something or if I’m supposed to try to get it to center when it says vdc off please help me
Originally Posted by gt3
Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Joseph Castillo

Default Help I still have vdc and slip light

Originally Posted by gt3

So when I would drive and turned the wheel my lights would come on and activate the brakes then drive normal. So i first checked which way my steering wheel activated my lights and so when i turned on my car the lights would turn on when i turned to the right. So i followed the thread and spun the sensor 360 to the left, turn the car back on and turn the steering wheel lock to lock... no lights, however when I drive the lights would come on but the brakes wouldn't be activated like it did before (it drives normal).i dont know if my steering sensor is still off or what but I hate having both lights on when I drive. any help would be appreciated