Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:51 AM
n2az

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdramatic

Originally posted by CottonWoodz
It has been our experience that the 350Z suffers from numerous severe technical problems

Numerous? You only mention tire feathering. You bought a domain for that! And you only got 4333 miles per set of tires before they were destroyed as you put it, ok not buying that one. I got my alinment at 7200 miles with a new set of tires, but I would not even call them tires destroyed that they replaced, not even close. Your alittle over dramatic dont you think?
Cottonwoodz: How can one be OVERdramatic focusing so keenly on a subject that has had one hundred PAGES of responses? I have had three sets of tires destroyed... yes, DESTROYED! I think the feathering (chopping) is is the most severe problem with this car, and it a good idea not to let the subject become diluted by distracting the readers with "all" the other lesser problems.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:03 AM
lew f

Originally posted by mrice
Good job, I forwarded this as an email to Nissan just to poke a finger in their eye...good summary, good conclusion.
Great letter, I forwarded it to my attorney!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:04 AM
lew f

Originally posted by mf01
Is filing the LL really worth the hassle? You have to go through all of that sh*t and then what car are you going to buy. You can't get a car similar to the 350z for less than 75,000 (911). You can get faster, but it would be some cheap WRX, Lancer, or F-body. I've thought about filing LL, but then I don't know what car I would buy. I love many aspects of the Z and wouldn't be able to get them in the same price range. I figure a shock upgrade (koni's) or suspension upgrage (S-tune) is less of a hassle than the LL. I don't have spare cash laying around like many Z owners, if I have to I would consider these. I'll have to see how the Koni's do with feathering. I realize we shouldn't have to pay for Nissan's bad suspension.
I'll spend the money on anything other than a Nissan!!! I too are waiting for my court date!!! Nissan should be ashamed of themselves

Last edited by lew f; 01-18-2004 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:13 AM
lew f

Originally posted by Free Patriot
I love my Z. I will never sell it. Yes, I've had some problems with tire feathering. Team Nissan in Oxnard, CA has been easy to work with as they attempt to correct the situation. My tires have been rotated and the torsion bar has been replaced. Now they have ordered new front tires and will install them for me, all of this with no out of pocket expense to me. I guess that I have been fortunate and for that I am thankfull.
My dealership is great as well, they have aligned the car three times (two times the alignment was perfect) yet the tires still feathered. The replaced the fronts, but they admit they have not and cannot fix the problem. I now have 13,700 on mine the second set of tires are feathering on the outside. They will get the car back at the 15K service.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:50 AM
wayne55

Default WTF

Guys/Gals:

I currently have 1K down on a 2004 Superblack Roadster with all options except the Nav. It should be in some time in March. Reading all these posts, I can't help but think I should cancel my order. I would like some opinions on: "would you do it all over again, knowing what you know now"...because I do know! A little help please. Thanks so much.

Nagle
Old 01-17-2004, 05:40 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Doing it again....

Originally posted by wayne55
Guys/Gals:

I currently have 1K down on a 2004 Superblack Roadster with all options except the Nav. It should be in some time in March. Reading all these posts, I can't help but think I should cancel my order. I would like some opinions on: "would you do it all over again, knowing what you know now"...because I do know! A little help please. Thanks so much.

Nagle
Nagle, go to page 96 of this thread. The question you pose has been asked and answered before. I posted there and will reiterate again: despite having the tire feathering problem before (and getting it resolved), I would do it again. Note that I was one of the first ones to post actual pictures of the tire feathering condition on this thread.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:46 AM
wayne55

Default Re: Doing it again....

Thank You.

Nagle
Old 01-17-2004, 07:49 AM
overZealous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bhobson333
I posted my little jibe because IMHO the tone of your proposed site was punitive bordering on extortion, instead of being constructive; with that post and this one you seem to relish the idea of Nissan filing suit against your site.... Others reacted more strongly than I did, which doesn't surprise me.

I understand your frustrations. You're not prohibited from seeking a remedy or from speaking your opinion, but perhaps you should examine your short-term motivations and your long-term goals and re-evaluate what is the most productive tone for your site to take.
I do not relish the idea of Nissan filing suit against the site. If I have joked about it or mentioned it is probably a result of my not unreasonable personal fear that this will happen. If my opinion is less than favorable to Nissan then I can easily see how one could interpret its content as "punative", however, "extortion" has never entered the picture. If I asked for money from Nissan to take the site down that would be extortion. If I, on the other hand, took the site down because Nissan fixed ALL of the cars and there was nothing left to say, that would not. Never the less you are correct in that I should try to use this tool in the most constructive manner. I think grifferjr has a good idea. If the site was used to track how many people have been affected, who still has the problem and who has had the problem fixed and how, that would be constructive. My wife and I are working on it. In the meantime 350zbuyersguide.com is alive and well.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:45 AM
wayne55

I dab in some .html. I'll put something up on a sub web of my company's address. Let me know if you would like to use this for your site. It should be up and running by tomorrow. It will be an example of what you could do with your site.

http://www.pghlocal.com/350z

Up by tomorrow:

Nagle
Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 AM
wayne55

overZealous:

I have something VERY rough up. It has your information on it as an example. If you have any interest in this type of format, let me know. I can obviously take my time with this if you want me to continue. Otherwise, I will be taking it down in 24 hours for legal reasons. Take care.

Nagle
Old 01-17-2004, 11:22 AM
lew f

Default Re: WTF

Guys/Gals:

Nagle
It's a tough question to ask us. I personally have filed for the LL. I love the car but I am totally disappointed with the way Nissan is responding to the problem and I don't want to have a car that is worthless. Nor, do i want to have to spend any of my own $$$ on fixing it. I would go back to the salesman and ask him/her if there is a known problem. See how they respond.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:43 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys/Gals:

Nagle
If I know the problems that I would be facing then would I have bought the Z? The answer for me is YES!!! Now, I've had my share of problems not as severe than others.(THANK GOD/KNOCK ON WOOD) If I weigh in the pro's and the con's up to date the pro's will outweigh the con's. I love driving and detailing and just owning the Z. The choice is yours of course. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
CottonWoodz

Just put over 5200 miles on my new set of tires, no feathering...
Old 01-17-2004, 05:18 PM
bforesman

yes, I would cancel the order as you don't need the hassles this car brings. I'll be trading mine in on an 05 Supra or Mustang.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Doing it again....

Thank You.

Nagle
I have been, along with a few others, Nissan's greatest critic on how they have bungled the launch of the 350Z. I have considered several times ridding myself of the Z. The plain fact is, even with its warts, its the best bang for the buck when you consider its power and performance and its downright beautiful! I will put on new Koni struts when they appear to cure my ride problems, which you may not have in your 2004.

The tire problem can be addressed, to a degree, before you pick up the car. Trade for a different set of tires before you take delivery. The OE tires are crap and I believe they are a contributing factor to the cupping. Get your dealer to perform an alignment before you take delivery, tell them about all the problems you have read about in this thread and get it done. You may be one the others on the thread where new owners are saying they have no problems at all.

Along with China Clipper, I would do it again. You have the benefit of seeing any problems on the Z available on this site if you have a problem. One last thing, you can drive it and refuse it if you don't like it. We couldn't do that after waiting 7months to a year for delivery, we were too psyched to be objective. You can be.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-17-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:57 PM
CottonWoodz

Its funny, the people that are talking about how bad the 350z is and want to get rid of it, only have 10-20 posts.

Heres one for example
yes, I would cancel the order as you don't need the hassles this car brings. I'll be trading mine in on an 05 Supra or Mustang.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Boomer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CottonWoodz
Its funny, the people that are talking about how bad the 350z is and want to get rid of it, only have 10-20 posts.

Heres one for example
[/QUOTE

The sheer volume of he thread has boggled their minds and they aren't thinking about now, but what MAY happen. I've been there, its useless to think that way.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:30 PM
vic grant

70% of z's don't have the feathering issue...same odds when you buy about anything...don't ask me where I got my stats.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
CottonWoodz

Alls Im saying is, most of these people probably dont even own a Z, and are here just to bash it...... Like the people that say they went through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles...Please, with the feathering problem, you can get atleast 10-15K out of 1 set without worry.....I especially like the people that say they went through 5 trannys... God damn, you have to be the most unluckyiest person in the world, to get not just 1, but 5 bad trannys!! Please, I have had the feathering problem, but now I do not have it.. So give it a rest. Have any of you talk to the original person that started this thread? Ask him if he has feathering.... Cause he does not anymore, why??? Its called getting the TSB alignment done....
Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
CottonWoodz

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI