Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:53 AM
navybulldog68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by hwj
After watching and reading this thread for over a year now, I think we're starting to get somewhat over-reactive with one another. Frustrated; yes. Given that we all want the same thing out of this in the end, which is to have our Zs work the way they were intended, the sniping at one another makes us look like a bunch of children. I expect that from my college aged son. We have to keep on topic, stick together, focus on the technical issue here and keep the emotions in check. Keep in mind NNA is also reading these posts as well, they are not blind or stupid.

To Boomer, ChinaClipper, Droid:
Having said that and my tire problem "fixed" in October with the alignment and new RE040s, I wonder if there is a "Time" limit on whether or not NNA will replace the replacement tires when they finally feather again after 5,000 miles or so? I hope they won't but I'm not convinced the feathering has been cured. Since the winter has set in and there's snow and salt all over the place here now, I use the Z less than once per week, and it will be May/June before I put another 5,000 miles on it.

Also, I don't plan to alter my Z in any way from stock since it's got such a low VIN, so Nissan's delaying this gets me concerned about the "Time" element [read this as: I'm going to have to pay for the next round of alignment / tire replacement out of my pocket if the clock runs out].

PS: Replaced Trans. after six months + continues to be perfect.

Sir, I taked to my dealer yesterday and the service advisor said they wouldnt mess with it after 12000 miles or 12 months. He also stated that they didnt have the newest TSB dated Dec 19th od 2003. What is up with NNA and why dont these dealers have the newest TSB,S before we get them on the internet?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
SteveZ

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Can't we all just get along here?
"All" may be a stretch but at least agreeing to disagree w/o abusive language would be a good start! I have no issue with Micheal, just don't agree with him on all points. The string of expletives on the forum by Droid has to go however. I also PM'd droid to try to understand what set him off; I won't repeat the response.
And SteveZ please stop referencing them as the "TX boys" as you may have noticed there are more then just two boys from Texas on this board....no offense of course Brad and Micheal
Sorry, point taken. Very poor choice of words on my part. I've worked in Austin,TX, have relatives there in Houston. My apologies to anyone else from TX I may have offended. Actually the only forum person I have any issues with is the guy who forgot to return the antenna I lent to him at the NH ZCCA convention show (Blue Daytona, are you out there?)
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-blue.jpg  
Old 01-21-2004, 10:25 AM
SteveZ

Originally posted by ricka
...FYI they just replaced my front brakes again and shaved the rotors.....I have 13.5K miles
Your first question already answered, no, they don't, but grifferjr sure made a case for it with his car!

My brakes were also toast earlier than expected, <10k miles, some of which I will attribute to track time. Hindsight I should have changed out the stock pads for the track, or gone up to a Stoptech/Brembo setup. Still seems like the rotor wear was excessive and very uneven - like a rough wavy pattern ^v^v^v.

Good luck with the tires...hopefully you have a dealer who will work with you.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:14 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: G35 vs 350Z

Originally posted by waldf
So I have searched all over my350Z.com, looking to see whether the G35 coupe has basically the same suspension as the 350Z, and if so does it have the feathering problem. From what I can see, the answer is:

1. Yes it has the same suspension
2. No it does not have the feathering problem

I am thinking of trading my Z in, the local Infiniti dealer has informally spoken about a deal I can live with. It's not just the feathering, it's all the other niggling crap. In summary, it's just the whole Z experience has gone from excitement to disappointment to irriitation to pissed.

The main thing that would stop me getting a G35 is the thought of giving even more money to Nissan.

Comments?
I agree. If it was just the tire feathering, I could deal with it. It's the other 15 problems I've had that have made my 350Z ownership experience a bad one. I simply do not have the time to constantly be taking this car in for service.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:23 PM
corsair

Originally posted by lew f
I'll spend the money on anything other than a Nissan!!! I too are waiting for my court date!!! Nissan should be ashamed of themselves
I paid 42k for my 350Z when I did my preorder. There is no way I would get anything close to that If I tried to trade it in or sell it. I would certainly opt for the buyback option.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:21 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by corsair
I paid 42k for my 350Z when I did my preorder. There is no way I would get anything close to that If I tried to trade it in or sell it. I would certainly opt for the buyback option.
Is that US$42,000?

Old 01-21-2004, 01:37 PM
corsair

yes. Granted, I did do a few upgrades, but i could get a new z for a lot less than 42k, so that is why i would go the buyback route.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
bkusnir

A Month at the Nissan Dealership

3 Electronic Alignments - $0
2 New Bridgestone Front Tires RE040 225/45-18 W - $0
1 New Front Right Lower Control Arm (had to be tightened as well) - $0
1 New Compression Rod - $0

A steering wheel that is still crooked - Priceless

--
On a lighter note, I showed the updated TSB (NTB03-006b 12/19/03) to my service advisor today and he claims that he has not seen it yet. I gave him a copy to keep.

Last edited by bkusnir; 01-21-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM
danotto

Bkusnir, can you post the alignment tolerances on the 006b. I had mine aligned in October, but that was the 006a I believe. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:59 PM
bkusnir

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....349#post618349

Originally posted by danotto
Bkusnir, can you post the alignment tolerances on the 006b. I had mine aligned in October, but that was the 006a I believe. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2004, 05:35 PM
danotto

Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 08:49 PM
blaze.80

On a lighter note, I showed the updated TSB (NTB03-006b 12/19/03) to my service advisor today and he claims that he has not seen it yet. I gave him a copy to keep.
I gave the same TSB to my SM who seems to have never seen the feathering problem until my case last. He had my car checked out and said the last time they aligned it was to these specs and they are waiting to talk to the Tech line. Because of the MLK holiday there was no tech available. Today they said the tech line faxed them over new specs for my car and it goes back into the shop for the forth time on the tire noise/cupping/feathering. I am making them fix the noise. I will ask him for the spec sheet from the alignment when I drop it off. If there is anything new then I will scan it.

I know...It's like beating a dead horse...alignment might not fix it, but what else is there at this time...I might look at a LL, but if I don't let them try then I have no case.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Boske

I have noticed a lot of references to the S-tune suspension. It seems that it is only for non-VDC Zs.

Is this still true or has something changed?

My service manager said that he has 3 Zs with the tire problem. 1 month later, my salesman says he has never heard of any problems with the car. Then the service manager quit... (unrelated I'm sure)
Old 01-21-2004, 10:18 PM
AmyCroft

Default Feathering Bounce NNA Free Replacement

Originally posted by blaze.80
I gave the same TSB to my SM who seems to have never seen the feathering problem until my case last. He had my car checked out and said the last time they aligned it was to these specs and they are waiting to talk to the Tech line. Because of the MLK holiday there was no tech available. Today they said the tech line faxed them over new specs for my car and it goes back into the shop for the forth time on the tire noise/cupping/feathering. I am making them fix the noise. I will ask him for the spec sheet from the alignment when I drop it off. If there is anything new then I will scan it.

I know...It's like beating a dead horse...alignment might not fix it, but what else is there at this time...I might look at a LL, but if I don't let them try then I have no case.
Blaze.80:

This monday NNA and Dealer replaced two front tires, and did a
"Front Alignment only" with a outside Alignment shop that does not
use a Computerized Alignment machine.
This is a shop, that does alignment to the Latest Spec.

But

Before
The shop Checked the "Sic" Alignment as Before is Bad
Tow 1/4" Right and -1/4" Left
Caster Right 10 and Left 9.5
Camber Left -2 Right +1

After
Steering Wheel is straight - never was. Noise is gone, For now.

no reading
Just a list saying it was to specs

Parked car in driveway. Thanked Dealer and NNA for new tires.

Told both - that the Nissan alignment will be checked. With an independent company with hunter computerized alingment.

Thanks for the input of some of the lawyers on my350z.com to
suggest the proceedure of dealing with NNA and the Selling Dealer.

Results will be posted, with Real alingment results.

All test will be performed by third party system test people.

( I might be able to drive the car my self - granted it does not exceed the lawyers limits. )

Cheers Amy -
Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 AM
cal_z

it sounds like your brakes have worn all the way down to the metal. I even hear my car "CRY" in some hard cornering. I have had the second set. Now i have 18,300 mls.

Even now, it is time to replace my rear tires which seem to wear evenly, and the dealer doesn't even want to touch it. I have never in my entire life seen a business turn down work on there own product.!!!!!!!!! They told me to go down the street and spend my money there. There is also a Chevrolet dealer there too. They have the new corvette there (c6). If I ran a business, there is no way I would turn business away. I probably won't buy another NISSAN.

Originally posted by DURO350Z
Hi Forum! I am a new member to this forum. I was wondering what noise are you guys hearing with the toe problem?

Last edited by cal_z; 01-22-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:56 AM
cal_z

And to think, I bought the extended warranty 5yrs, 100,000mls. for what it's worth.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:58 AM
cal_z

I guess I'll have to change my suspension so that I can be satisfied with the car for the next four years of payments. I'm looking at voiding my warranty anyway by purchasing some 20" wheels. I'm going all out. I may be a little slow,... but when you buy the car you have a 3yr 36,000 ml warranty. BUT, if you have the tire problem, your warranty last for 12500mls. There are so many stipulations that they are either making up, or they are not telling you about them in the beginning.

Last edited by cal_z; 01-22-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:02 AM
fuzzwart

Originally posted by cal_z
it sound like you brakes have worn all the way down to the metal. I even hear my car "CRY" in some hard cornering. I have had the second set.

Even now, it is time to replace my rear tires which seem to wear evenly, and the dealer doesn't even want to touch it. I have never in my entire life seen a business turn down work on there own product.!!!!!!!!! They told me to go down the street and spend my money there. There is also a Chevrolet dealer there too. They have the new corvette there (c6). If I ran a business, there is no way I would turn business away. I probably won't buy another NISSAN.
I had the same experience with a dealer 3 miles from my house and complained to NNA. They said that the dealerships are independently owned and operated so I was basically SOL. I found another dealership 23 miles away that was more than happy to take my work and guarranty it.

Find another dealership if possible.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:16 AM
cal_z

my next closest dealer is more than an hour away in Illinois or an hour away almost in tennessee. I have come to the conclusion that I have the mechanical skill to do the essentials myself and if anything major comes along, I will mount up and be ready to deal with these ,....... people! I guess I should ask this question, I have the extended maintanance warranty that changes my oil for the next three years or 36000 miles. At this rate, it will be the full three years. Can I take my coupons to another dealership and still receive my "paid for service"?

Last edited by cal_z; 01-22-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:15 AM
kbsig106

Thumbs up Me thinks this is the fix.....

A little humor for the otherwise nagging problem:
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-watto_tires.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI