Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:08 AM
CottonWoodz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alls Im saying is, most of these people probably dont even own a Z, and are here just to bash it...... Like the people that say they went through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles...Please, with the feathering problem, you can get atleast 10-15K out of 1 set without worry.....I especially like the people that say they went through 5 trannys... God damn, you have to be the most unluckyiest person in the world, to get not just 1, but 5 bad trannys!! Please, I have had the feathering problem, but now I do not have it.. So give it a rest. Have any of you talk to the original person that started this thread? Ask him if he has feathering.... Cause he does not anymore, why??? Its called getting the TSB alignment done....
Old 01-18-2004, 04:41 AM
fuzzwart

Originally posted by CottonWoodz
Alls Im saying is, most of these people probably dont even own a Z, and are here just to bash it...... Like the people that say they went through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles...Please, with the feathering problem, you can get atleast 10-15K out of 1 set without worry.....I especially like the people that say they went through 5 trannys... God damn, you have to be the most unluckyiest person in the world, to get not just 1, but 5 bad trannys!! Please, I have had the feathering problem, but now I do not have it.. So give it a rest. Have any of you talk to the original person that started this thread? Ask him if he has feathering.... Cause he does not anymore, why??? Its called getting the TSB alignment done....
I think that reality is more towards the middle of these two arguements.

Q - Are there people here bashing the Z that don't own one, but just don't have anything better to do?

A - Yes

Q - Are there people here that have a Z and have an "extreme" case of the feathering issue?

A - Yes

I do have a Z ('03 Brickyard Enth) and have the problem. I have a file open with NNA and have a new set of front tires on the way under warranty. The dealer said that swapping the tires would do no good because the feathering was too severe at 8200 miles. Alignment was done and the toe was way out on all four corners.

So, to the more important questions:

Q - Will I get rid of my Z because of this and other problems that I have had?

A - Not on your life! I have had the problems with the greasy windows (fixed), driver's seat rocking (parts on order), and tire feathering. But I love the car.

I do wish that we would hear more from the owners not having the problem but we all know that the disgruntled owners will speak out and the owners without the problem won't. Blame human nature.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:41 AM
bforesman

Angry

Like the people that say they went through 3 sets of tires in 12K miles...Please, with the feathering problem, you can get atleast 10-15K out of 1 set without worry.....
Since I was the person that said that I'll respond to it. I've owned my Z for 14 months and unfortunately did have to go through that. You'll never make it to 10K miles before your car sounds like a truck which means replacement.

If you're happy paying for a car that has these kinds of problems then fine but I am most definitely NOT. If Nissan did something to the suspension on the 04's that solves this problem then they had better update the 03's!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:42 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by CottonWoodz
Have any of you talk to the original person that started this thread? Ask him if he has feathering.... Cause he does not anymore, why??? Its called getting the TSB alignment done....
Well, to be fair, his sig also says he has NISMO S-Tune Suspension w/sways. I think it's commonly accepted that the NISMO suspension solves this problem. Just, not everyone wants to drop the coin, or thinks they should have to. I had the TSB done, had tires replaced, it's happening again after 5000 miles. I hope Nissan resolves this problem; I love this car!

Last edited by bhobson333; 01-18-2004 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 AM
lew f

Default Re: Re: Re: Doing it again....

Originally posted by Boomer
I have been, along with a few others, Nissan's greatest critic on how they have bungled the launch of the 350Z. I have considered several times ridding myself of the Z. The plain fact is, even with its warts, its the best bang for the buck when you consider its power and performance and its downright beautiful! I will put on new Koni struts when they appear to cure my ride problems, which you may not have in your 2004.

The tire problem can be addressed, to a degree, before you pick up the car. Trade for a different set of tires before you take delivery. The OE tires are crap and I believe they are a contributing factor to the cupping. Get your dealer to perform an alignment before you take delivery, tell them about all the problems you have read about in this thread and get it done. You may be one the others on the thread where new owners are saying they have no problems at all.

Along with China Clipper, I would do it again. You have the benefit of seeing any problems on the Z available on this site if you have a problem. One last thing, you can drive it and refuse it if you don't like it. We couldn't do that after waiting 7months to a year for delivery, we were too psyched to be objective. You can be.
I agree with Boomer as it relates to what you can do to minimize the problem prior to delivery. Your dealer knows there is a problem and should work with you. I for one will wait for the disposition of my LL case before I decide what to do next.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:31 AM
zeeman03

Being a former Z owner and seeing Nissan's responce to there suspension blunder,I would never give them another dime of mt business.There is a definite design flaw in the suspension and for them to not step up and do the right thing speaks volumes about there customer comittment.The Renault is starting to surface.Profits are there # 1 priority.Sold at a loss and happy it's gone.If this car is the soul of Nissan, then they need an exorcism. What goes around comes around.F##K YOU NISSAN!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:37 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Well, just to be accurate..

Originally posted by bhobson333
Well, to be fair, his sig also says he has NISMO S-Tune Suspension w/sways. I think it's commonly accepted that the NISMO suspension solves this problem. Just, not everyone wants to drop the coin, or thinks they should have to. I had the TSB done, had tires replaced, it's happening again after 5000 miles. I hope Nissan resolves this problem; I love this car!
Droidekaus is a local here in Texas, so I just wanted to set the record straight since he does not frequent this thread often, even though he started it long long ago. Yes, his sig says he has the Nismo suspension, but this was installed WAY after he had his tire feathering problem rectified. In his case, his dealer did not solve the problem after performing the TSB. He suspected (probably correctly - as do the Nissan traveling techs), that the dealer was not performing the alignment right. As he was still experiencing the tire roar, he took his Z to a race car shop with an alignment rig, and had a custom alignment performed that biased the toe-in on the front wheels. Soon after, he switched tires (to S03 Pole Positions), with the total result that the problem was solved on his particular car. Subsequent to solving the tire feathering, Droid has upgraded his car with a big brake kit, Nismo struts, and Nismo sways - all to go fast at the track!
I think as a fall out of this incident, and all the discussion on this long thread, the question truly is: How many (Nissan) dealers are incorrectly performing the alignment on our cars? I would guess very few of us owners would get the TSB at Nissan, and then immediately go to a trusted independent shop and have the alignment checked again to see if the specs matched the dealer's handout sheet. Most of us blindly trust that the TSB performed by the dealer has been done correctly and has solved the problem. So off we go with a new set of tires, on the assumption that all is well. But is it? I think this is the gist of what the Nissan techs have concluded from their tour if I interpret posts here correctly. My closest Nissan dealer is ten minutes away, but because of their poor treatment of customers, I will not take my business to them. The Nissan dealer I support and take my business to is one that supports the Z Club of Texas, is friendly and cooperative, and is one that I can trust to do the right thing on my car! They are almost three times distant as the closest dealer, but the quality of service they provide is easily worth the extra trouble to me. This theme has been reflected many times in this thread -- not all Nissan dealers are alike. Find one you can trust and give them your business! Nissan dealers who don't care, or don't do right by their customers do not deserve your support. There are more than a few 350Z owners besides Boomer that I am aware of who have had alignments done by independent shops with the result that there has been no feathering seen subsequently. TSBs provide directions only. Someone wielding tools has to carry out the directions -- hopefully correctly!

Last edited by ChinaClipper; 01-18-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 AM
bhobson333

Default Re: Well, just to be accurate..

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
There are more than a few 350Z owners besides Boomer that I am aware of who have had alignments done by independent shops with the result that there has been no feathering seen subsequently. TSBs provide directions only. Someone wielding tools has to carry out the directions -- hopefully correctly!
Thanks for the clarification. Can you tell us (or tell us where to find) the proper specs to give the alignment shop?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:05 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default alignment specs

Originally posted by bhobson333
Thanks for the clarification. Can you tell us (or tell us where to find) the proper specs to give the alignment shop?
To be honest, "proper specs" start with the TSB. Use those specs - especially the latest instructions on the revision b of the TSB which is to give the greatest amount of toe-in specified. It is a matter of trial and error from here on out. My car responded to the alignment and has shown no recurrence of feathering with just a slight "hint" of toe-in. Others have seen otherwise, and have gone back to dial in increased (up to 1/8") toe-in from their alignment shop - race shops are best as they are familiar with many tire wear problems and critical alignments. Please note that the information/advise given above is a personal opinion of me based on observation of local Z owners, and does not reflect any kind of official information on specs or associated liability. I am not associated with the Nissan Corporation or any Nissan dealer in any manner save as an enthusiast customer. Okay?
HTH
Old 01-18-2004, 10:39 AM
waldf

Default Re: alignment specs

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
To be honest, "proper specs" start with the TSB. Use those specs - especially the latest instructions on the revision b of the TSB which is to give the greatest amount of toe-in specified. It is a matter of trial and error from here on out. My car responded to the alignment and has shown no recurrence of feathering with just a slight "hint" of toe-in. Others have seen otherwise, and have gone back to dial in increased (up to 1/8") toe-in from their alignment shop - race shops are best as they are familiar with many tire wear problems and critical alignments. Please note that the information/advise given above is a personal opinion of me based on observation of local Z owners, and does not reflect any kind of official information on specs or associated liability. I am not associated with the Nissan Corporation or any Nissan dealer in any manner save as an enthusiast customer. Okay?
HTH
I had the "set toe to max and swap tires side to side" TSB done at 9000 miles. At 17000 miles the rumble and cupping is back in full force.

The big unknown is: does the TSB not do the job, or did the dealer not perform it correctly at 9000?

I took it in again last week, and they fiddled around with the alignment again. I am hoping to get a new set of tires out of Nissan (the dealer is supporting me on this). If not, the tires are pretty badly cupped, so I'll spring for a set myself. That is unless I sell the car first, which I am considering.

Last edited by waldf; 01-18-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:13 PM
mdmike

I had my alignment checked for toe issue at 1380 miles. Since reading this thread I thought it was a good idea. My car didn't pull and the guy checking out the car seem to know about the issues with the 350z. They fixed the toe without any question. They also rotated the tires from side to side and I was able to get a look and thankfully tires were wearing properly.

I bought my car from a mileone company and the good part about that is that they had a Mr. Tire at the dealership as well. I had both tech and the tire guy from Mr. Tire look at the setup.

I also had the follow other TSB taken care of as well.

TSB-NTB03076 Driver seat loose (moving left to right)
TSB-NTB03029 Windows streaking issue
TSB-NTB03006 Tires Roar/Feathering

THis is an excellent site to check for issues with our cars. I am sure that everyone already knows about it but thought I would add it for newbies like me.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...3.asp?mscssid=

These forums are great for getting out information.

Last edited by mdmike; 01-18-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:40 PM
TCL

Originally posted by mdmike
...I bought my car from a mileone company and the good part about that is that they had a Mr. Tire at the dealership as well. I had both tech and the tire guy from Mr. Tire look at the setup....

I think we use the same dealer if it's the one off Route 29 and Briggs Chaney Rd. I haven't had any tire service there yet. Still trying to figure out what shop will be best when it comes time to change the tires on the Rays wheels. Were they able to dismount and remount the tires without scratching the wheels?
Old 01-18-2004, 02:17 PM
mdmike

Originally posted by TCL
I think we use the same dealer if it's the one off Route 29 and Briggs Chaney Rd. I haven't had any tire service there yet. Still trying to figure out what shop will be best when it comes time to change the tires on the Rays wheels. Were they able to dismount and remount the tires without scratching the wheels?
I believe they just rotated the tire. I had a cosmetic issue with the passenger side rear wheel. Pimples in the wheel around lugs. I know the unmounted that one to replace that wheel.

Herb Gordon is the name. The tech that did my car was JOE. I would recommend if you deal with them that you ask what team he is on. I believe it's the blue team. That man knows his stuff.

Last edited by mdmike; 01-18-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:33 PM
shift

Guys, check out this website for the disgruntled Audi TT owners. There's nothing illegal or wrong with doing this, as long as there is no false/fictional information presented, and the domain owner has 350Z owners to back up these claims:

http://myaudittsucks.com
Old 01-18-2004, 05:27 PM
only1

I added a post last week but no one responded to it so Im guessing its not true. I have spoken to the district manager of Firestone out here in Chicago and he said that Nissan had started a voluntary recall that week. I was gonna call tomorrow, but Im thinking this is untrue due to not hearing anything about it here :-(
Old 01-18-2004, 07:00 PM
sunzet

Why are the inside of the tires not wearing evenly? Mine show a saw tooth wear pattern which indicates that the root cause of the feathering is not caused by a constant force applied to the tires. What does it? You don’t need a physics major to figure this out. The answer is simple, the problem is when you break!!!. The inertia of the vehicle moving forward makes the front wheels flex inwards when you break. No break (|| ||). Break (// \\) = Feathering. This is why the noise becomes more apparent when you break. And this caused by a combination of things:

a) the engine sits back towards the middle of the vehicle.
b) To much caster (designed like this for better cornering)
C) Soft front suspension
d) soft tire compound

This is why I don’t believe the problem is going to be solved with new alignment settings or different tires. The car needs a new suspension redesign and this is why Nissan has not done anyting about it. This are my two cents.

Anyways, My dealer just call me to let me know that my two replacement front tires have arrived. My car now has 18,000 miles and the noise is loud!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by only1
I added a post last week but no one responded to it so Im guessing its not true. I have spoken to the district manager of Firestone out here in Chicago and he said that Nissan had started a voluntary recall that week. I was gonna call tomorrow, but Im thinking this is untrue due to not hearing anything about it here :-(
I take it the Firestone dealer has some access to Bridgestone news because Bridgestone owns Firestone. Please call him and see what he says about a voluntary recall, of what? The OE 040s? If so, what will they do, replace them with a harder comound? I don't know why it will hurt anything by calling him. We've got enough info floating around here now, a little more shouldn't hurt. Fire away.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:26 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, people. Listen up. Read this thread and STFU.

IIRC, I also said somewhere in this thread (or on this board) that Nissan dealers were incapable of doing an alignment and have been proven correct by the latest TSB and the provisions required for fancy alignment machines. I was also accused of making a ridiculous statement by saying so.

I know more about tire wear than ANY of you. I'm on my sixth set of tires. I've paid the price for ****ed up alignments and I'm willing to share the secret (S-Tune suspension, proper aligment) if some of you will quit crying for a few minutes. I've got over 2,500 miles now on my Kuhmos with the proper alignment and don't have ANY irregular wear. NOTHING. If you don't want to spend the money on the S-Tune or another suspension set-up that has a comparable drop (<=.8") then STFU, sell your car and **** off.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 AM
ezchief

Brad,

Welcome back! I agree with most of what you are saying except the S-Tune requirement. Just had my alignment checked this past weekend at an independent shop. They set it up right after I got the Kumho's in October. I have about 5300 miles on them and no sign of wear on the fronts. He checked the alignment and it was still on the same specs he set it up at originally. My rears were showing some wear so we brought the toe in a touch and I will go back in a month for him to check for free. Funny thing is he said he hates Hunter machines and he has been doing alignments for 15 years.

So yur total toe was at 19. That's crazy.

Jim
Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 AM
SteveZ

Originally posted by droideka
STFU... ****ed up... if some of you will quit crying for a few minutes...then STFU, sell your car and **** off.
Anything useful you might have to say here is eclipsed by the FOUL nature of your language. It's over the top...is this how you want to sound? Is this how you want your forum to look to other people?

I don't.

SteveZ
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-forumfires.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI