Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:55 PM
bkusnir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you what the difference between a lower-class Nissan owner experience and and other manufactures that are actually concerned about maintaining brand recognition, loyalty, owner experience and overall image. It's not the quality of the vehicles... there are defects on all cars, especially new ones. And we all know that the Infiniti G35C is basically the same vehicle as the Nissan 350Z ... just as the Toyota Camry is basicly the same vehicle as the Lexus ES300. The difference lies in how the manufacturer resolves the issue. When BMW experienced problems with some of the electronics in their recent model 7 series vehicle, they quietly purchased the vehicles back from the owners, found a solution for the problem and fixed ALL of the cars. Then they either sold them back to the owners, or put the ownersi n a different new BMW and sold the remainder back to the dealers. You see, this way you don't have anybody bitching and complaining and bashing you, and everybody goes home happy. The manufacturer pays much less in the end when accounting for the investment in it's image.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:39 PM
CottonWoodz

No feathering after TSB done here.. Build #5503
Old 01-28-2004, 04:33 AM
kbsig106

Default Ok - all fixed - I think...

Picked my Z up last night for the clicking on the rear axle. They tighted the rear axle to 210 lbs of torque. The service mgr said that if it comes loose again, he'll throw his hands in the air. They also ordered me a new rear view mirror vs. super glue and will call me when it comes in.

Here's were I stand. I'm starting to feel bad for the service dept. They're getting hammered with 2003 350z's that have the same nagging problems over and over again. He said that Nissan makes the cars and we fix 'em. Off the record, he wished that Nissan would have made a car with less problems. So with that in mind, I have to put my faith on the dealership - not in NNA.

So as of now:

My rear end is tight (no pun)....
Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 AM
kbsig106

Default Autoweek Article - no new news

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04029290

New article from autoweek talking about the NISMO parts.... Nothing new on the problems.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 AM
SteveZ

Default Re: Missing antenna

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
So that is why you have a grudge against TX guys?
Seriously Steve Z, Blue Daytona is really Chazzg. Please PM him, as he frequents these boards, but not this thread, and he has been looking to return your antenna since the show ended.

Sincerely, ANOTHER TX Z owner & NH Convention-goer on this forum,
No, my bad on the choice of words about TX

No issues with lending something to help out, $30 bucks is noise in the big pic. I think some jerk did the parking lot treatment on his antenna...People forget, lose contact info, it's easy to do and no big to me.

Thanks again for the info, I drop him a PM to see how he's doing - he a list of mods to be that looked pretty impressive...

ZCCA:
http://homepage.mac.com/stracy01/Auto/PhotoAlbum16.html
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-rob.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by bkusnir
I'll tell you what the difference between a lower-class Nissan owner experience and and other manufactures that are actually concerned about maintaining brand recognition, loyalty, owner experience and overall image. It's not the quality of the vehicles... there are defects on all cars, especially new ones. And we all know that the Infiniti G35C is basically the same vehicle as the Nissan 350Z ... just as the Toyota Camry is basicly the same vehicle as the Lexus ES300. The difference lies in how the manufacturer resolves the issue. When BMW experienced problems with some of the electronics in their recent model 7 series vehicle, they quietly purchased the vehicles back from the owners, found a solution for the problem and fixed ALL of the cars. Then they either sold them back to the owners, or put the ownersi n a different new BMW and sold the remainder back to the dealers. You see, this way you don't have anybody bitching and complaining and bashing you, and everybody goes home happy. The manufacturer pays much less in the end when accounting for the investment in it's image.
That is EXACTLY my point with Nissan's lack of attention to our problems. The Z is the symbol of their rebirth and they are approaching our problems as if all we purchased was a stripped down Sentra. It doesn't make good business sense to leave us behind as some sort of afterthought.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:07 AM
chinlam

Wink

My local dealer just ordered 2 new tires for me without even look at my car, the just take my words for it.

Tires were swapped left and right once at 8000 miles but it came back around 13000. Hopefully with the new aliement spec with finally solve the problem.

BTW, they are also trying to talk NNA out to have my seat belt replaced with 04, since it start to worn out the upper corner of my seat a little.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:43 AM
billg

Originally posted by chinlam
My local dealer just ordered 2 new tires for me without even look at my car, the just take my words for it.

Tires were swapped left and right once at 8000 miles but it came back around 13000. Hopefully with the new aliement spec with finally solve the problem.

BTW, they are also trying to talk NNA out to have my seat belt replaced with 04, since it start to worn out the upper corner of my seat a little.
ChinLam,
What is the name of the dealer that is providing you with this service?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:32 PM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by only1
Is it possible to change just the front tires, instead of all of them? Im wanted to switch the ties to the Bridgestone SO3's. I am stuck replacing my tires, sinse the dealers and NNA wont.
When my dealer was going to replace my front tires, the RE040s were back ordered. I specifically asked for the S03's and the ordered me a set (front only) and replaced them under warranty. After an alignment, (I was WAY out of spec on ALL four corners.) The feathering has not returned. (knock on wood)

I have No issues with RE040s on the rear and S03s on the front. When the rears go, I'll replace them with S03s as well.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Boomer

Default If Interested

In an older post, I said I would consult with my suspension expert and report his view on my/our tire problems. His credentials are: an ASE Certified technician with about 30+ years of experience working on brakes and suspensions on many different types of vehicles, cars, trucks, etal. Every problem I've brought him over the 20+ years he's worked on my cars he has solved, except one. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good.

I gave him a shortened version of our trials and tribulations with Nissan and asked him to look at my tires for abnormal wear. I gave him a copy of my dealer's alignment printout from 1/10/03 and told him I had put 6400 miles on the car since that date. I explained how concerned I was about ruining tires without a proper alignment and reiterated all the problems other owners have had and he looked at my tires. Fine, at the 0.0 setting, not the 0.2 recommended, maybe a very slight toein on the left front, he'd take care of it in March or as soon as he could have the Konis from me to install.

FINE! WHAT THE HELL! I/We have been lambasting Nissan for months about how little they were doing about the problem, and he says FINE? He then proceeds to tell how the tires can be flipped from side-to-side after being taken off the wheels, how toe can be set properly and camber won't have much of an effect. Then he laughed when I told him about the inside wear(cupping, feathering, etc.) and says people need to be patient as it gets worked out.

Sound Familar? It should, Nissan has been telling me and you the same things he was just throwing out. Choking on my own words a little, I told him about the 140 wear rating on the OE tires, and he says, "Hell, those are 14,000 mile tires"! This man works with suspensions 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. I trust this man, he hasn't steered me wrong on anything except a parts problem he fixed immediately after it happened and paid me back for the part and his labor. I haven't seen him for 3 years since I retired and I walked into his shop, said hello, he said hello and was waiting to see what new toy I was bringing him to take care of. Everything he was saying was what Nissan has been trying, with little success for those who have the wear problem. I don't have a wear problem anymore.

OK, What now? Firstly, I have impugned Nissan's ethics and methods on the problem, I have to apologise to them for my rudeness and lack of understanding. Eating my own words has never been easy for me, but it happens and you go on to a better understanding, I hope.

One request. Nissan, you sent a team of engineers recently to identify the tire problem. I would urge you to release their report to 350Z fan websites and your dealers in order for us to arrive at a solution quickly and end this endless diatribe. Its damaging to all to get information in bits and pieces, instead of a coherent whole. I think the report could help in this regard.

Boomer--China Clipper, how did you get 20,000 miles out of the OE tires? I saw the picture, I believe you, but I can't understand it. Enlighten me, please. Right now, I could use some enlightenment.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:34 AM
cal_z

Default Re: If Interested

Originally posted by Boomer

Boomer--China Clipper, how did you get 20,000 miles out of the OE tires? I saw the picture, I believe you, but I can't understand it. Enlighten me, please. Right now, I could use some enlightenment. [/B]

I have right at 19000 mls on my rears, and need to be looking at replacing them within the next 1000-2000mls. Does anyone have any idea what these are running? I have the factory tires on and want to get the same. What is the best price and where?
thanks!!!!

calvin
Old 01-29-2004, 06:24 AM
n2az

Default Re: Re: If Interested

Originally posted by cal_z
I have right at 19000 mls on my rears, and need to be looking at replacing them within the next 1000-2000mls. Does anyone have any idea what these are running? I have the factory tires on and want to get the same. What is the best price and where?
thanks!!!!

calvin
I drove over 27,000 miles on my first 350Z, chewed up two sets of front tires, badly. Still had treadon the original rear tires and had figured to have about 5,000 to 7,500 miles left on them. Admittedly, about half were highway/interstate miles, but go figure, this is a 350Z, with rear wheel drive, and alot of the other miles were for pleasure driving with plenty of acceleration miles... and a good many of those were through the mountains! I love my Z.

Nissan... please fix my suspension problem(s).
Old 01-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Zaph32

I took mine in today to get the TSB performed...7900 miles and very loud noise and vibration when braking.

This is my first tire swap, I had the alignment adjusted at about 3500. Next step is new tires I guess.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:25 PM
bhobson333

I have the factory tires on and want to get the same. What is the best price and where?
Don't even try to get RE040s (the stock tire). They suck so bad, I don't think they even sell them retail. You could certainly get some Bridgestone S03's, though, Michelin Pilot Sports, Kumho Ecstas, Toyo T1-S, etc.

Top-line tires will cost around $200 each, but you can do well with some not-quite-tops for $150-180. Try tirerack.com
Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 PM
tobydog

Originally posted by chinlam

Which dealer did you go to? iI went to Stevens Creek in San Jose and they will only switch (rotate) tires and align the car. I am taking the z in tommorrow, only has 7300 miles and I had an alignment done at 1900 miles before.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by tobydog
Which dealer did you go to? iI went to Stevens Creek in San Jose and they will only switch (rotate) tires and align the car. I am taking the z in tommorrow, only has 7300 miles and I had an alignment done at 1900 miles before.
Did they do your alignment? If they did, open or update your case with NNA. You need to have documentation at both entities. Switching the tires at this time may be useless and your time is valuable. You shouldn't have the dealership think you will just keep coming back for your tire issue. If they can't fix it, you need to build a case for the future resolution of the problem. The dealer is not the last word on your problem, NNA is, and you need to inform them of that, politely, but firmly. You bought a new car with a warranty and you expect it to be honored. If they try to brush you off, call NNA and file a complaint.

If you are concerned about your rights, don't be, you can still file a BBB or Lemon Law case if they can't fix your car. Keep good records and all alignment data to supplement your case. Any successful company will try to minimize or delay expenditures, if you keep the pressure on with your dealer and NNA, it can shorten the time they take to resolve your tire problem.

Boomer--my advice, use it or lose it, I don't care.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Boomer

thanks!!!!

calvin
I agree with Hobson, but if you MUST have the OE tires, Discount Tire.com(a site sponser here) and Tire Rack.com are good online companies with good prices.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: If Interested

Originally posted by n2az
I drove over 27,000 miles on my first 350Z, chewed up two sets of front tires, badly. Still had treadon the original rear tires and had figured to have about 5,000 to 7,500 miles left on them. Admittedly, about half were highway/interstate miles, but go figure, this is a 350Z, with rear wheel drive, and alot of the other miles were for pleasure driving with plenty of acceleration miles... and a good many of those were through the mountains! I love my Z.

Nissan... please fix my suspension problem(s).
I continue to maintain that the OE tires are a major contributor to the tire problem, in spite of a very few I have read had an OK experience w/them. They seem to be a great track tire for really fast driving, but a lousy daily driver tire and the tire pressure may be the most critical element in their surviving for 15,000+ miles, I'm guessing here.

I would never buy another set in my lifetime, there are far better tire available at virtually the same price. Bridgestone 03s, Michelin Pilots, Toyos, etc. all are better performers than the OE 040s, IMO.

Boomer--Nissan, I apologized, I did not capitulate and cover your policy with healing light. You still have a long way to go before I, and many others, will believe you are doing your best to correct all of the Z's problems. You need to do a better job of communicating with owners and your own dealers. I intend to continue to remind you to do so when you fall short of your obligation. . This is business, not puppy love.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-29-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
SteveZ

Default Re: Re: Re: If Interested

Originally posted by bhobson333
Don't even try to get RE040s (the stock tire). They suck so bad, I don't think they even sell them retail. You could certainly get some Bridgestone S03's, though, Michelin Pilot Sports, Kumho Ecstas, Toyo T1-S, etc.

Top-line tires will cost around $200 each, but you can do well with some not-quite-tops for $150-180. Try tirerack.com
they do suck (RE-040s) Read Tire Racks' buyer ratings - I guess a bunch of TT owners also got this wonderful tire and they have very little good to say about it!

If u have 17's tire rack doesn't show a lot of choices, check a few other places - I like TR a lot and have bought several sets of tires and some wheels, too, great to deal with. If u have 18's, more choices.

So far I like the Pilot Sports a lot - good driving tires, I just wish Kuhmo had the stock 18 sizes in the Escta's, what a great value they have been for my plus-one set on my Altima.

Don't forget to check the Private Classifieds on the forum. I see a lot of people selling brand new tires or tire/wheel sets because they are getting bigger and badder rubber right away, or different wheels and want to get some $$$ for the OEMS.

A set of Infiniti G35 18's with Pilot Sports went new for $1600 mounted right off the new car recently. A set of Rays from the Track Z went for about $1800 unused. Lots of loose tires too, just read moderator's advice on not getting scammed.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:13 PM
lew f

Originally posted by overZealous
And that was some of the best "Boomer babble" I've read to date. Nissan should consider offering you a position. Honestly, it was a very good post.
I totally agree with Over Zealous Boomer, a good response.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI