Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:18 AM
kawataworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z's toe setting before and after

I would love to hear from Nissan why our cars were set up so far out of spec?
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-toe.jpg  
Old 04-02-2003, 08:51 AM
JimH

Default Specified ranges

I am curious as to why the specified range figures are different from your printouts? Mine is the same form and from a local Nissan dealer, but the figures on the range allowed side differ.... Regards, Jim
Old 04-02-2003, 09:10 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Vincey2kr1
According to the specifications that my NIssan Service manager gave me, your Total Toe is out. HIs specs stated Front Total Toe should be at 0.0 to 0.8 If I read yours right, it was set to .09 and now its .11? Steven Lamm(NNA) is getting back with me with the correct specs .
IS THAT A LARGE AMOUNT????
Old 04-02-2003, 09:12 AM
rodH

Default Re: Specified ranges

Originally posted by JimH
I am curious as to why the specified range figures are different from your printouts? Mine is the same form and from a local Nissan dealer, but the figures on the range allowed side differ.... Regards, Jim
even worse is mine says "1996 300zx" for my sheet, he said he just needed that for the reference, BUT used nissans latest specs for the 350 when doing the align. is he feeding me a line?????
Old 04-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Vincey2kr1

Got the call from STeven from NNA, he says total toe spec is 0.0 to 0.8. WEll am I the only one with my total toe within Specs from NIssan? Mine is set at dead 0.0, still feathering. Picked mine up in late August Vin# 00877.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:37 AM
jmark

Originally posted by kawataworks
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...3.asp?mscssid=

Here is the current list of TSB that Nissan admits to.

And though this issue with the tires feathering/cupping is a pain in our @ss!
I still believe this car is a great performance car for the money.
Interesting Steve with NNA said he couldn't give out this info................What a bunch of bull. For what its worth Steve has told my I am still my adjustment period and I am sure they will check the alignment at no charge. I of course asked them to do that before delivery........I am going to drive a newer 350Z next week and see if the bounce is there.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:46 AM
macam308

Default Re: Re: Specified ranges

Originally posted by rodH
even worse is mine says "1996 300zx" for my sheet, he said he just needed that for the reference, BUT used nissans latest specs for the 350 when doing the align. is he feeding me a line?????

same thing happened to me at thousand oaks nissan. never ever go there! there's a service advisor there named steve and he doesn't give a crap and attempted to bs me. he told me that these tires are soft and high performing and i corner too much (only had 7000 miles at that time). after placing a call to nna, steve calls me back a few days later for an alignment. then i find out they used the 92-95 300zx specs! i didn't find out until i got home (i was in a rush so i blame myself for this). i don't know what to do anymore.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:38 AM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Re: Specified ranges

Originally posted by macam308
same thing happened to me at thousand oaks nissan. never ever go there! there's a service advisor there named steve and he doesn't give a crap and attempted to bs me. he told me that these tires are soft and high performing and i corner too much (only had 7000 miles at that time). after placing a call to nna, steve calls me back a few days later for an alignment. then i find out they used the 92-95 300zx specs! i didn't find out until i got home (i was in a rush so i blame myself for this). i don't know what to do anymore.
I even asked the SM if that was normal to pull the spec off a different car, and he asid that is was, and that is NOT what was important, and that it just has to be withing "spec". Now I get home and realize that it is NOT within spec, this is PISSING ME OFF!!! (even though we ALL know that the align is NOT the BIG issue here, since people with PROPER align stiff have teh same problems)
Old 04-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Deb

I'm cross-eyed now. Sorry this looks like crap and is a little hard to read, but I tried to put everyone's specs together. The first range is toe, the second is total toe, the third is camber and the fourth is caster. Also gave wheel size where known. Notice any differences???

aggie 300zx [-0.02*....0.06*] [-0.04.....0.12] [-1.3*.....0.2] [7.4*....8.9*] 18 inch wheels
kawataworks [0.00*....0.04*] [0.00....0.08] -[1.3....0.2] [7.4*....8.9*] 18 inch wheels
chinaclipper [0.00 in....0.8 in] [0.00....1.6 in] [-1.33*.....17*] [7.58*....8.92*] ?????
Deb's Other Half [0.02*....0.06] [0.04....0.12] [-1.9....-0.4] [0.8....17.2] 17 inch wheels
Enforcer [0.06....0.15] [0.12....0.30] [-1.6....0.4] [7.4....8.9] ???
Old 04-02-2003, 01:27 PM
aggie300zx

I'm assuming you are just displaying the specified range and not what our actual numbers were "before" they did the alignment. I think there are two issues I observe here.

1) The consistency of numbers being used for the "correct" alignment.

2) The disparity in how bad some of our cars were out of alignment.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:41 PM
ezchief

No. He is showing the specified "specs" range for the alignment. How is it possible that all of these cars got different "specs" from the dealer. All you need to do is check Aggies and Kawatas suggested"specs" on toe and this is really scary.

Sherlock (Deb's other half) my dear fellow, you have hit the mother load.

My personal observation. Nissan is telling the dealers to mess around to see what the hell works in the real world. Do an alignment and free tires and watch what happens after a few thousand miles. Cheaper then a new suspension. I smell a conspiracy.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:43 PM
ezchief

I meant yes Aggie
Old 04-03-2003, 05:19 AM
YourMomma

Default Feathering Cause

All,
I'm still sticking with my original theory that I posted here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=22187

I don't think we can talk about the tire feathering w/o talking about the suspension... especially since people are talking about Eibach or Nismo eliminating.

On another note... my tires are definitely feathering at 2700 miles. I'm vin# 6616, production of 10/02.

THE DIFFERENCE... I'm feathering on the outside edge, NOT the inside.

Anyone else seen this?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:23 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I don't think anyone has the feathering on the outside edge of the tires. most of them are inside edge of the tires.

also, does Eibach and Nismo shock or springs fix the feathering problem? is this confirmed?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:49 AM
fuzzwart

Default Re: Feathering Cause

Originally posted by YourMomma
All,

I don't think we can talk about the tire feathering w/o talking about the suspension... especially since people are talking about Eibach or Nismo eliminating.

On another note... my tires are definitely feathering at 2700 miles. I'm vin# 6616, production of 10/02.

Anyone else seen this?
You're the highest VIN that I've seen so far. I am #6723 and still have no uneven wear at 3k. The NHTSA has complaints posted on the issue but I see no investigation on the issue thus far. Those who have the issue, please post a complaint with these people. If enough do, Nissan will have to respond formally to the issue.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Feathering Cause

Originally posted by YourMomma
All,

Anyone else seen this?
Mine were feathering on the outside at 1600 miles.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:30 AM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Feathering Cause

Originally posted by fuzzwart
You're the highest VIN that I've seen so far. I am #6723 and still have no uneven wear at 3k. The NHTSA has complaints posted on the issue but I see no investigation on the issue thus far. Those who have the issue, please post a complaint with these people. If enough do, Nissan will have to respond formally to the issue.
i am almost 11,000 vin, slight feathering at under 1100 miles
Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Deb

From Deb's Other Half:

When you guys post that you have feathering at low mileage, please indicate if you had your alignment checked and adjusted upon delivery or not.

I spent today talking to two different Nissan dealers and a high-end tire dealer. The two dealers had different specs - both claiming to be right; the tire dealer did not have the 350Z specs but called a third dealer and was faxed the same sheet that ChinaClipper posted - it did not say on it which car it included.

The tire dealer talked about similar problems with earlier Porsche models set up with negative camber that resulted in extreme tire wear, especially if not aligned upon arrival - he said train or boat shipment tie-downs ruin the alignment. He was surprised that, if true, the camber was not adjustable on the 350Z. However he didn't say that it was never done and he did say that when it is done there is usually an after-market kit available soon in order to set the car up for specific driving types/styles/conditions, as several of you have mentioned. This guy has three street cars (turbos and nitros) and seemed very aware of problems associated with these situations as well as accentuating the problem when the suspension is lowered or wheel size is changed (17" versus 18" on the same frame???).

I didn't get a solution but the conversation was interesting. He was strong in his opinion that while the terms "feathering" and "cupping" are often misused, the imbalance of spring and shock would result in poor tire contact from bouncing and this would result in "cupping" or flat spots if it was the only problem. If it was part of an overall sum of problems (i.e., poor suspension match, negative camber with incorrect toe-in, poor inflation, etc) it would be hard to spot as just "cupping" and look more like a very quick and bad case of "feathering".

OK - so much for my day of 350Z fun. The car my wife has drives like it is on rails - it is simply the strongest v6 stock engine I have ever had the pleasure of driving and handles as well as my friend's Audi TT Turbo all-wheel drive - well, almost as well. I plan on staying in the middle of all the spec's (keeping my service manager's specs as the model) and checking wear constantly and the alignment at 3000 miles. It's not a worry thing anymore as much as it is a challenge. I hope that everyone finds a solution that works - if mine gets worse, I'll let you know. Now, almost 1500 miles later, the front tires are as flat as they can get - no feathering or cupping. If anyone ever receives a definitive set of alignment spec's from Nissan for both 17 and 18 inch wheels, let us know.
DOH
Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 PM
goku

Question 350Z Track....

Has anyone experienced this issue with a 350Z Track?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:11 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 350Z Track....

Originally posted by goku
Has anyone experienced this issue with a 350Z Track?
Yes - my car with over 10000 miles on it is a track. Scroll back a coupel of days on this thread and you will see pictures of my tires.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI