Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Old 10-15-2003, 08:01 AM
perriz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do i file a complaint , whats the number to call. i havent noticed feathering yet , 2500miles but hell im going to get on this complaint list. we have to get this set straight.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:18 PM
bosotheclown2002

Lew F.

<quote>
I am even more amazed that the trade magazines (Car and Driver, Automobile, Motor Trend to name a few) have not even commented on having a similar problem. They have had their test cars in some cases over a year. Something is wrong there!
</quote>

The trades rags "have" mentioned the front end problems with the 350Z. Motor Week has mentioned it twice on there weekly television shows ( last week in fact ) in there long term updates. Just go to the link below and scroll down to find the 350Z.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/longterm/

<quote>
Our Touring Z's original tires became very loud at about 10,000 miles. While Nissan is advising some suspension adjustments, we found new tires were the best cure. If you are having the same problem, a serious talk with the dealer is in order.
</quote>

Even the service rep at my local dealer ship has mentioned the Motorweek articles. I believe it was in the Road & Track long term road test that they stopped driving there 350Z all together because the "road noise" became too much to bare.

Why Nissan is not doing something especially with the bad publicity going around totally has me stumped. I guess they believe the 350Z is a niche market and they will just disregard it and make there money from the G35 sales.

I am personally telling everyone I see, especially G35 owners, about the problem and to watch there cars very carefully so as to catch it before it gets out of hand. I came to the conclusion that we are going to have to make our own bad publicity in order to get Nissan to do anything.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:29 PM
ezchief

You're preaching to the choir. Can I get an AMEN!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:54 PM
bnbutler

Angry Update on feathering

I am in contact with Nissan Consumer... they are telling me that Nissan issued a bulletin to rotate the tires and to tell owners to come back after 3000 miles. I CAN'T STAND THE NOISE ANY LONGER... I told her that this was unacceptable. I want new tires now. I have prices some Toyos around $1000.00. Although they are saying that the front tires are hard to find due to small size... I'm really getting ill about it.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Superfly84zx

Just read this at zcar....check out the new suspension for the Z...here comes the fix and it's different dampers and stiffer springs that the euro model is getting...very interesting...wonder if that's the cure for the feathered tires...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/...y.php?id=38909

I think you can see it if you copy and paste the link...same thing the guy at zcar said, seems you can read it a few times then you must subscribe?! I hope some of you guys can see this...

Last edited by Superfly84zx; 10-15-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Superfly84zx
Just read this at zcar....check out the new suspension for the Z...here comes the fix and it's different dampers and stiffer springs that the euro model is getting...very interesting...wonder if that's the cure for the feathered tires...

I think you can see it if you copy and paste the link...same thing the guy at zcar said, seems you can read it a few times then you must subscribe?! I hope some of you guys can see this...
Well, well. Stiffer springs and redesigned dampers for a SUPPLE RIDE for the U.K'S. poor roads. It certainly doesn't sound like the suspension was dumbed down, but done correctly for the real world. In case everyone doesn't know it, Europeans will not buy a car that can't handle every road that's thrown at it, so Nissan changed it for the better. What about our cars? Will we get the same fix? Highly unlikely is my guess, unless Nissan will retro-fit it to our cars.

They will make running changes on future cars to the U.S., beginning sometime in the future and we will have to trade our 2003s for the improved version. What about it Nissan, any relief for us? I won't hold my breath.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:52 AM
Grommit

Originally posted by Superfly84zx

Oh please let this be the fix. I hope and pray my 04 will not have feathering when I get it next year. Does anyone have any further info on this new suspension and if they are going to use it in future US models?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:25 AM
lew f

BoSoTheClown 2002:
I too saw the Motor Week article. I still stand by my question. but Motor Week is one of many well read Automobile Magazines. However, it is the only one that really mentions any problem. None that I can remember mention feathering. All of the trades received an early version of the 350Z production models and should have experienced feathering. If I missed the others I apologize.
Yesterday, I did receive my November Road and Track. They have their long term report on the Z and I will qoute:
"And the Z has been just about trouble free. The only problem area we've had was a noticeable pull to the right, which couldn't be cured by a front-end alignment. Our dealer contacted Nissan and a right front compression rod was installed under warantee to fix the problem". They go on to Pan the sound system, but the report overall is very complimentry.
I know some of those subscribing to this thread still have the pulling problem. I hope this helps!!
It is a great car and fun to drive. The service manager at my dealership still says Nissan is aware there is a problem and he is unaware of any fix. He keeps replacing tires!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:10 AM
kj301

I just turned 10K last weekend. Eveything had been going good with the car until about Sep. When I started to get an increase in road noise. I was checking the tires often when the tire problems started with other people. I figured that I had over 6K i was going to be alright. But today was the first time I check my tires in a while and found that I have developed the same problem. I have an apt at the dealer next week.
KJ
Old 10-17-2003, 03:13 AM
jeffa55

Anyone have any comments about the wheel bearing thing that I brought up?? It is the last post on page 54
Old 10-17-2003, 05:18 AM
perauto1

Jeffa
The wheel bearings are not the problem. If they were bad enough to make the tires cup and wear out the steering and front end would feel like a 300,000 dump truck.

The problem is a combo of geometry, spring and shock's. Bearings are cheap and easy to fix. NNA wishes it were only the bearings
Mark
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Rod-Z-Guam

Angry My Tires are Feathering Too

15,000 miles and my front tires are feathering badly. Told my dealer about the roaring noise and uneven tire wear during routine tune-up and requested an alignment (under warranty). Unfortunately their alignment machine was down at the time.

Based on what I read on Discount Tires' site, the problem appears to be from too much negative camber. Hopefully the alignment will correct this problem. I definately want to make sure before I purchase and mount the new 19's I'm planning on getting next year.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:36 AM
kbsig106

Exclamation Going back to the dealer 10/25

I have made an appointment with the Service Dept for 10/25.

I took my tired *** to a Firestone/Bridgestone tire store and asked the guy to take a look at my OEM Protenza's. He took his hand and felt the inside tread and asked "What happened, these are brand new tires?"....

So I gave him a bit of a History lesson as to the problems many Z owners have been facing with the "feathering" of the tires. He had heard of a problem but hadn't seen the problem in person. He offered to write up a invoice showing that the tires are in the lack of a better term "ruined". He advised me to push for a replacement. Thanked him for his time and went on my way.

While speaking to the service mgr yesterday, I informed him that I had the tires inspected by a 3rd party and they gave me a write up to produce. He had his reservations (of course) and I informed him that when I signed the dotted line, I wasn't signing up for a car that chews up tires. I also informed him that I have better things to do than bring my Z in for the 5th time - I've had to take time off work 3 times to fool with this. He argreed that bringing the car in for the 5th time is a bit unreasonable for a new car. I agreed also and thanked him for the prompt service I received the 4 other times. I also called NNA and informed them of same - the customer service rep looked over my case # and agreed that all the TSB's have been preformed and there are no other options except replacement.....

So we'll see on 10/25.

Good luck to everyone else that is having this problem - stick to your guns....
Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 AM
bnbutler

Unhappy Trip #3

After repeated calls to Nissan Consumer Affairs and no return calls, I finally called the owner of the dealership. They are going to order me two new front tires. But, now the problem is that they are on backorder from the manufacturer.. wouldn't that be a redlight that there are a lot of Z's having new tires replaced? One of the people there mentioned that one man with 8K miles has had two new sets in the front. I really believe that this will fix it for me. The alignment is now correct and when I do finally get the new tires, I will have them check it out again. Right now I'm bearing with the wawawawawawawa noise and cranking up the XM radio as loud as I can to drown out the noise. You would think with the Bridgestone lawsuit, tires would be the first thing a corporation like Nissan would want to back up. I was told Nissan doesn't back up the tires... ?? Any validity there? Have we the final word on what caused this and if it is fixed?? I've got the grease mark on the windows, but that's the last thing I care about fixing.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:02 AM
jeffa55

Originally posted by perauto1
Jeffa
The wheel bearings are not the problem. If they were bad enough to make the tires cup and wear out the steering and front end would feel like a 300,000 dump truck.

The problem is a combo of geometry, spring and shock's. Bearings are cheap and easy to fix. NNA wishes it were only the bearings
Mark
I definitely understand what you are saying and I would expect that the car would feel like crap... however, this 'expert' told me that if they were only a LITTLE loose, you would never be able to tell by driving or by shaking the wheel (the 'normal' way to test for bad bearings). The only reason I bring this up is that I am wondering if anyone has ACTUALLY looked into this or if it is just being passed over as a 'it can't be that' thing. Also, remember that he said it could be bad bearings OR some other loose component.

This guy could definitely be smoking crack, and I cannot verify his expertise, but he also said that toe-in or out alone would not cause true scalloping... and this seems to make sense as nobody has been able to find an 'adjustment' that will fix the problem (nobody that has had the problem has been able to fix it). Some of us don't have the problem and that also leads me to believe that it cannot be a suspension setting that can be varied... otherwise people with the problem should be able to 'set' their cars just like the people without the problem.

Just some more thoughts/questions.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:23 PM
EL Diablo

Has the feathering issue plagued the 2004's ?
Does anyone know? Has anyone put some miles on thier 2004?
I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I'll keep you posted on the situation.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Shadowrwr

Default 15000 Miles 2nd replacment+ BACK TIRES

Okay so i just got my car back on friday after leaving it with them all day and the only thing they did was replace my tires. Not even an alignment, 8 hours and they only replace tires. Well this is the second time the front tires have been replaced, first time at 7,000 miles, second 15,000. Well i also noticed my back tires had developed the problem too. They were worn from the inside out. there was only about 2 inches of tread left on the outer side of the rear tires. I dont know how i didnt notice this but i finally did and it was to late. Well the dealership charged me for the rear tires and replaced the front for free. They claim that i must be driving the car like a nut and burning rubber all the time for the back tires to do that. Well i know for a fact that only once, and i mean once, i decided to throw off the vdc and spin it, and this was after the tires were bald, because i knew i couldnt hurt them anymore. Another thing is, if it is an alignment issue they only masked the problem instead of fixing the problem. Im in a big arguement with the dealer and NNA, so ill see what happens. So, what i want to know is if anyone else has had this problem with the rear tires?
Thanks,
Old 10-18-2003, 07:57 PM
Boomer

Default Re: 15000 Miles 2nd replacment+ BACK TIRES

Originally posted by Shadowrwr
Okay so i just got my car back on friday after leaving it with them all day and the only thing they did was replace my tires. Not even an alignment, 8 hours and they only replace tires. Well this is the second time the front tires have been replaced, first time at 7,000 miles, second 15,000. Well i also noticed my back tires had developed the problem too. They were worn from the inside out. there was only about 2 inches of tread left on the outer side of the rear tires. I dont know how i didnt notice this but i finally did and it was to late. Well the dealership charged me for the rear tires and replaced the front for free. They claim that i must be driving the car like a nut and burning rubber all the time for the back tires to do that. Well i know for a fact that only once, and i mean once, i decided to throw off the vdc and spin it, and this was after the tires were bald, because i knew i couldnt hurt them anymore. Another thing is, if it is an alignment issue they only masked the problem instead of fixing the problem. Im in a big arguement with the dealer and NNA, so ill see what happens. So, what i want to know is if anyone else has had this problem with the rear tires?
Thanks,
Your dealer is supposed to check the alignment under the TSB, call NNA and report him. Other owners have reported all of the rear tread gone at 8000 miles or less. Yours is the first to report the cupping all across the rear tread; you may have too much camber on the rear tires. BTW, I am surprised anyone can get 15,000 miles or more from the OE tires, their wear rating is 140, which is very low for a street tire.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Grommit

Originally posted by EL Diablo
Has the feathering issue plagued the 2004's ?
Does anyone know? Has anyone put some miles on thier 2004?
I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I'll keep you posted on the situation.
Hey man, I'd like to know as well. I have my 04 on order and am worried the problem hasn't been fixed. I also wonder if that european model Z's suspension will make it into the Z's that come to the states as well.

Do any of you in Europe that own Z's, (if it's even selling yet), see any problems with your tires?

Tranny and Suspension issues are getting me down. I just want to enjoy the Z when it get's here. *sigh* Will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:34 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re:15000 Miles 2nd replacment

Originally posted by Boomer
Your dealer is supposed to check the alignment under the TSB, call NNA and report him. Other owners have reported all of the rear tread gone at 8000 miles or less. Yours is the first to report the cupping all across the rear tread; you may have too much camber on the rear tires.
Boomer, Shadowrwr already had the TSB at 7,000 miles, so Nissan has already applied the TSB to his car once. I don't think they will apply a TSB twice to the same car.
Originally posted by Boomer
BTW, I am surprised anyone can get 15,000 miles or more from the OE tires, their wear rating is 140, which is very low for a street tire.
Not surprising, I think - my rear tires are illustrated below. I took them off after 20,000 miles and the bars are not showing just yet (though they are close)! That 20,000 miles included a Track Day at Hallett in September, and a Drivers Ed event at Motorsports Ranch in August.
Attached Thumbnails Tire FEATHERING: FYI-mvc-006f.jpg  

Last edited by ChinaClipper; 10-19-2003 at 06:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI