Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:36 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILKZ03
Wow...guess I better get started. Tired of banging on the Door...people see ya...kinda embarassing.
Tell me about it...

Driving around with window down on a warm summer night = bliss.

Sitting in the parking lot banging and swearing to get the window up, while pedestrians wonder "wtf??" = Lose.

Deciding to go fast-food one late night and window decides to be stuck = Lose

Getting pulled over and having an officer wonder why you're not complying = Lose

I hate you Nissan... bait us with a stylish car and great motor and we get fail for everything else.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM
SILKZ03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nuff said bro!

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Tell me about it...

Driving around with window down on a warm summer night = bliss.

Sitting in the parking lot banging and swearing to get the window up, while pedestrians wonder "wtf??" = Lose.

Deciding to go fast-food one late night and window decides to be stuck = Lose

Getting pulled over and having an officer wonder why you're not complying = Lose

I hate you Nissan... bait us with a stylish car and great motor and we get fail for everything else.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
island03z

If anyone had a problem like I did getting the motor back into the casing because the brushes were in the way. I cleaned the side walls next to the brushes so that I could use scotch tape to hold the brushes back against the spring (otherwise its really greasy and the tape won't hold). Be sure to leave enough tape exposed so that when the motor is back in the casing you can gently pull the tape back out. Spinning the motor while pulling the tape helped a lot. Then just add a dab of lithium grease and you're good.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
SILKZ03

okay...just got around to doing mine. I replaced the motor with a refurbished one instead of cleaning it....Since some guys said the cleaning lasted a couple of months, I thought I would just go ahead and purchase one with a waranty. Thanks for the write up. Everything worked and the instructions for reset is a must.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Alterscape

I'm probably going to be trying this repair (to install a new drivers-side motor) in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know much about the Z (yet!) but I do know photo/video gear. Has anyone tried to use gaffer's tape (or painter's tape) in place of duct-tape to hold the window up? It'll have MUCH less residue than duct tape and peel off easier, but I'm not sure if the adhesive is strong enough..
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM
35oZephyR

^^^Towel + Visegrips (if you have them)
Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
blaukal

I've been fighting this for about 4 months on my 04 roadster. Just followed the cleaning DIY and everything is coming up roses. I love you VO. In a platonic way. Now I'm crossing my fingers that it will last a while.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Alterscape

Good call re: vise-grips. I like that idea, and I have a set intended for woodworking w/rubberized grips that, plus a towel, would probably be very kind to the glass. Also, thanks VO for the incredibly detailed instructions. I usually disassemble smaller-scale finicky electronics, but those pics and detailed instructions make it seem approachable!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by Alterscape
I'm probably going to be trying this repair (to install a new drivers-side motor) in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know much about the Z (yet!) but I do know photo/video gear. Has anyone tried to use gaffer's tape (or painter's tape) in place of duct-tape to hold the window up? It'll have MUCH less residue than duct tape and peel off easier, but I'm not sure if the adhesive is strong enough..
I used a nonresidue duct tape...no issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
nick2730

For the people that used this DIY and it worked successfully for you:

When actually pressing the switch itself, did it sound like the motor was trying to work before you cleaned up the motor? Or did you just hear a relay click and nothing else?

Does anyone know what the voltage should be across the wiring? And or a wiring schematic on the door?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Alterscape
Good call re: vise-grips. I like that idea, and I have a set intended for woodworking w/rubberized grips that, plus a towel, would probably be very kind to the glass. Also, thanks VO for the incredibly detailed instructions. I usually disassemble smaller-scale finicky electronics, but those pics and detailed instructions make it seem approachable!
It's almost all mechanical with exception to the motor's internals. The biggest issue you'll probably have during the disassembility will be lining up the window frame bolts when you put everything back together.

IMPORTANT: try not to over-tighten the gold/bronze bolts. Those will strip and next thing you know, your door rattles.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Tony'sz

I just did my driver side repair and reset today and it took me a little over an hour, very simple and a big Thanks for the DIY it helped out allot and saved me some $$$$$$$$$$$!

Last edited by Tony'sz; 09-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Chomorro

Mine just went out today...Until i hit the inside door.
Autozone has this part for 144.99 Autozone window motor
Or Nissan part is 203.95 Oem nissan Parts
So im thinking 60 more for a new motor is a better deal correct?

And why does banging on the door make the motor work again? Sounds like a loose connector instead of a bad motor, but all of your experiences point to no on that lol.

Last edited by Chomorro; 09-03-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:32 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Chomorro
Mine just went out today...Until i hit the inside door.
Autozone has this part for 144.99 Autozone window motor
Or Nissan part is 203.95 Oem nissan Parts
So im thinking 60 more for a new motor is a better deal correct?

And why does banging on the door make the motor work again? Sounds like a loose connector instead of a bad motor, but all of your experiences point to no on that lol.

If your's is broken for the first time, just take it out and clean it. They're all from the same flawed design anyway so you might as well make sure the current one is dead before taking life out of a new one. If you can't be bothered and rather spend the money then that's fine.

Hitting the door for it to work?

I'm going to say it's accounted to weak motor brushes that wear out and don't conduct enough current to make that initial spin. It seizes so when you agitate it, the brush is able to conduct enough to turn the motor.

I don't know a lot about electrical motors but that's what I gather from years with RC cars. Brushes wear out and you have graphite build up. They need replacing.

If this was the problem, then the motor is really just a brush replacement? I don't know if anyone has replaced the brushes but I know dealerships are not going to promote this. They rather sell you a whole new motor.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Im going to pull my door panel for a 3rd time to try and clean the inside of the motor.. I hope I dont have to buy a fawking motor....
Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM
gto88

Default Thanks, vo7848

I'd like to thank vo7848 who posted this repair instruction.
I just fixed my stuck window per your instruction.
vo7848, you are the man!!!

Last edited by gto88; 09-07-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

I did all of that, cleaned it etc.... Still doesnt fawking do the window reset....
Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Chomorro

For anyone who is still hitting their door to make your window go up. I never did it but i read some people do.

I thought that looked funny, so if you just open and shut the door it works the same . This is what i do and it has worked 100% of the time so far.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by Chomorro
For anyone who is still hitting their door to make your window go up. I never did it but i read some people do.

I thought that looked funny, so if you just open and shut the door it works the same . This is what i do and it has worked 100% of the time so far.
So far is right...thats just for now. I was doing the same thing just opening and closing the door. After awhile, then harder, then harder...then that didn't work...so I banged on the door, that did..after awhile that didn't work...just replaced the motor...f'k it.

Last edited by SILKZ03; 09-17-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Chomorro

Originally Posted by SILKZ03
So far is right...thats just for now. I was doing the same thing just opening and closing the door. After awhile, then harder, then harder...then that didn't work...so I banged on the door, that did..after awhile that didn't work...just replaced the motor...f'k it.
Yea i figured that, i have a new motor sitting in my room waiting for some time to put it on

Quick Reply: How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...