Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Max Jax: lift points

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 PM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Max Jax: lift points

I finally got around to buying and installing a MaxJax 2 post lift from Danmar. I don't have huge ceiling in my garage so the MaxJax works perfectly.

The one bit of info I'm looking for is what lift points are being used for those using a 2 post lift? I am using the following points:

Forward:

Aft:

I don't believe that the same jack stand points would be used since you would need some kind of spacer since the pad at the end of an arm is about 5"x5".

What are some points others are using? I spent a couple of minutes searching the forum but couldn't find anything.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Steve-O Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lift mine on the pinch welds. If it was going to be on there for a while (to remove transmission, diff, whatever), I'd probably do what you did. Either that or I'd lower it while I wasn't working on it.

I've never read up on the max jax... what keeps it from leaning over and falling? Do you bolt it down while it's in use? It seems like they would have extending arms on the base or something.

Last edited by Steve-O Z33; 02-16-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the heck. how much is that thing?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
DeUceZ

that thing is legit.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Subdermal

dammit, now you got me lookin at one lol
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
I lift mine on the pinch welds. If it was going to be on there for a while (to remove transmission, diff, whatever), I'd probably do what you did. Either that or I'd lower it while I wasn't working on it.

I've never read up on the max jax... what keeps it from leaning over and falling? Do you bolt it down while it's in use? It seems like they would have extending arms on the base or something.
Thanks Steve-O Z33. I'll be changing out the clutch and flywheel and I need to make sure that it's secure w/ all the shaking associated to taking the tranny on and putting it back on. I'm failrly comfortable w/ the aft mounting point as there's really not too much weight back there. The forward one is on the front chassis cross member (I'm probably not using the proper name). My concern is deforming it. Since my time to work in the garage only comes in short bursts of an hour or so and not every day, I plan to keep the Z on the lift for possibly 2 or more weeks. Do you see any problems w/ that front lift point I'm using?

The columns are bolted to the floor w/ some really beefy concrete anchors and bolts (floor requirements need to be met first). It's rated for vehicles up to 6000lbs. They advertise it as portable (unbolt & move) but it's a PITA to set it up since the columns have to be shimmed to be plumb and level. But removing it and moving it is definitely possible. Works out pretty slick since you'd need headroom clearance of 10+ ft for a standard 2 post.

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
what the heck. how much is that thing?
I got it from from Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=).

You can order it from Dannmar directly for $50 less I hear.

Last edited by drivesolo; 02-17-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 AM
06blueZ

Nice! I have been looking at those for a while, but my garage is not oversized, so I wouldn't be able to keep the columns mounted all the time. I know it's designed to be easily set up and taken down, but I would like to have a space to keep it up.

Looks like that lift is perfect for your garage. How does it lift? does each side stay even as it goes up? I read that some had problems lifting uneven...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome man!
I have been looking at this one along with a few others.........

hey drivesolo, u think i can swing by and check it out?? ill be in the seattle area (Boeing) in march time frame..?? Maybe i can help ya turn some wrenches?!?!?

-J
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Edit... Disregard my post.. I though it wasn't bolted down...

Last edited by 350Z_Al; 02-17-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 AM
06blueZ

It is anchored...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Steve-O Z33

Ok. I was thinking it would be a deathtrap without anchors. Glad it does bolt down. My dad owns a shop and has 2 dannmar lifts. We got them from Garage Equipment Supply. They sell the Max Jax as well if anyone is interested in shopping around. 1 of our lift cylinders went out and they shipped another 1 free of charge, no questions asked. Great customer service there.

For a transmission removal on any lift, I suggest using a safety stand at the front and rear of the vehicle. It's impossible not to shake/sway it when doing something like this. If you can find safety stands for the height that the max jax uses, it's definitely worth it. 1 of our guys is bad about not taking the time to use the safety stands that we have and he gets mad b/c I will take time to put them up for him. #1, a couple seconds more on a job is better than having a car fall on you. #2, you just don't want to knock a car off of the lift. It has happened to people before. Someone locally died b/c they shook a car off the lift and they couldn't get out from under it.

If no one makes the stands, buy some pipe and have a competent welder fab something adjustable for you. It really isn't about holding weight imo, but stabilizing the front to rear swaying by eliminating the amount of travel the overhanging ends of the vehicle will have.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ yes definitely............great advice..

-J
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goddamn that's sweet.

*added to future shop wish list*
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Awesome man!
I have been looking at this one along with a few others.........

hey drivesolo, u think i can swing by and check it out?? ill be in the seattle area (Boeing) in march time frame..?? Maybe i can help ya turn some wrenches?!?!?

-J
For sure! I'll PM you my info. I'm not too far from the Renton plant. I'm split between Renton and Everett now-a-days.

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
Ok. I was thinking it would be a deathtrap without anchors. Glad it does bolt down. My dad owns a shop and has 2 dannmar lifts. We got them from Garage Equipment Supply. They sell the Max Jax as well if anyone is interested in shopping around. 1 of our lift cylinders went out and they shipped another 1 free of charge, no questions asked. Great customer service there.

For a transmission removal on any lift, I suggest using a safety stand at the front and rear of the vehicle. It's impossible not to shake/sway it when doing something like this. If you can find safety stands for the height that the max jax uses, it's definitely worth it. 1 of our guys is bad about not taking the time to use the safety stands that we have and he gets mad b/c I will take time to put them up for him. #1, a couple seconds more on a job is better than having a car fall on you. #2, you just don't want to knock a car off of the lift. It has happened to people before. Someone locally died b/c they shook a car off the lift and they couldn't get out from under it.

If no one makes the stands, buy some pipe and have a competent welder fab something adjustable for you. It really isn't about holding weight imo, but stabilizing the front to rear swaying by eliminating the amount of travel the overhanging ends of the vehicle will have.
Are Garage Equipment Supply and Dannmar one and the same? The crate came shipped from Garage Equipment Supply when I picked it up at my local Conway shipping dock and Costco gets it shipped directly from Dannmar. Dannmar seems to have great and knowledgeable customer support. I called them quite a few times before purchasing it and twice during the installation.

That's great advice regarding the stands, I'll definitely use it. I could see that even by grabbing the suspension and attempting to rock the car I could get it to move slightly and I can see myself potentially using a lot more effort w/ the tranny. I know of the stands you've mentioned and those will be my next purchase. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Nice! I have been looking at those for a while, but my garage is not oversized, so I wouldn't be able to keep the columns mounted all the time. I know it's designed to be easily set up and taken down, but I would like to have a space to keep it up.

Looks like that lift is perfect for your garage. How does it lift? does each side stay even as it goes up? I read that some had problems lifting uneven...
It lifts pretty well. I thought it would strain a bit under the weight of he Z but it picked it up a lot quicker and w/ less effort than I had thought. the driver's side column actually starts up first. By the time it is at fill height it is about 1.5" higher than the other side which is still w/in spec of what the manual say to allow, but then levels out at the top. It has 2 locking settings (so the weight of the car isn't on the hydraulic cylinders all the time), the first one is at 24" and the highest one is at 48". I have a rolling craftsman stool that works pretty well for me when under the car at it's highest setting. Sliding around under there is entertaining. It's infinitely better than working on your back than w/ the car on stands. I removed my pumpkin last year and was just going through the motions of removing the exhaust and differential again and it seemed effortless.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Dook-E

damn, this is really sick. i wish i had a three car garage so i could utilize one part of it as a permanent lift bay.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
NissanZ03

I want one of those haha
Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 AM
shakuya88

I really want one...just one big issue is standing in my way.....I don't have a garage
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
zheiland

Default Max Jax Heaven

I have had my max jax for over a year now.Only one problem.All the hydraulic
couplings were leaking.They replaced them all and I was told all future models would come with different couplers.Other than that the lift works very
well.I enjoy working on my car with greater safety and confidence.