Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Latest on Transmission replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:32 PM
ssk0771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cobrasak
Well that bllows. I hope it doesnt turn out to be like the 01 Acura CL's, they still havn't found a fix for that car yet. My brother is on his 4th tranny.
Whats wrong with the Acura CL 01. I use to have Acura TL-S and I had to get a new tranny after 10K mi. Are they still having problems with tranny going out. My brother drive that car now and it has 70K mi and its fine. From what I know, If you use SS mode alot, thats when the tranny goes out so I told my brother not to use SS mode too much.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:53 AM
cobrasak

The tranny was appearrently designed wrong or something I don't know but his is still acting up. He doesn't even use SS mode. In fact he drives that car like a granny. They just put a new module in a few weeks ago to detune the car or something not sure so the tranny will stop from blowing again. Such a shame.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 AM
ezchief

Jeff,

Just got my new tranny and clutch assembly replaced. Tranny 0008 as you posted. My impression is that the tranny is much smoother and little to no notch. The big improvement I see is the clutch. I used to have a horrible chatter when I engaged the clutch in first gear. Like springs twirling or a rock polisher noise. The new one does not do it at all. Also, it engages real nice.

The SM did tell me that there is one thing ( I am not technical) inherently wrong with the tranny that they know about. They do replace the entire tranny assembly and not the parts. The old tranny is sent back to the vendor in Japan for credit. If Nissan opens the tranny, they eat it.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ezchief
The old tranny is sent back to the vendor in Japan for credit.
Hum.... I've got about 20+ dead trannys around here and I just throw them away after 30 days. We've NEVER been requested to send one back to Nissan...
Old 01-08-2004, 01:32 PM
cobrasak

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Hum.... I've got about 20+ dead trannys around here and I just throw them away after 30 days. We've NEVER been requested to send one back to Nissan...
I know this is a long shot, but if you have 30 dead trannys would it be possible for you guys to open them up and maybe try to beef up the weak links after you find out and see if that fixed the problem. I know the cost factor maybe the limiting factor however if you may stumble upon on something maybe someone cam work on a viable solution besides replacing trannies every few months. Just a thought
Old 01-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I know this is a long shot, but if you have 30 dead trannys would it be possible for you guys to open them up and maybe try to beef up the weak links after you find out and see if that fixed the problem.
Sorry, as they are written off, they are destroyed. As a dealer we don't own them once the warranty claim is paid and per the Dealer agreement with NMC once paid... they're smashed. As we've been auditted several times by Nissan over the past couple years, the Service Director is pretty by the book when it comes to warranty and scrap issues. On the other side of that coin... I've never worked for a more mod friendly dealer!! Go figure where the fine line is.....
Old 01-08-2004, 06:34 PM
cobrasak

Sorry, as they are written off, they are destroyed. As a dealer we don't own them once the warranty claim is paid and per the Dealer agreement with NMC once paid... they're smashed. As we've been auditted several times by Nissan over the past couple years, the Service Director is pretty by the book when it comes to warranty and scrap issues. On the other side of that coin... I've never worked for a more mod friendly dealer!! Go figure where the fine line is.....
Interesting, didn't really know how all of that worked but I guess that makes sense. too bad Nissan doesn't allow you to work on them opposed to smashing them. Well I hope you and your team can figure something out just keep us updated
Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
manrey

Interesting, didn't really know how all of that worked but I guess that makes sense. too bad Nissan doesn't allow you to work on them opposed to smashing them. Well I hope you and your team can figure something out just keep us updated
let me clear it up for you,

Its not the dealers job to figure anything out, its NIssans JOb. Dealers are really just like retail sellers. IUf you buy a sony tv from circuit city and it has a problem, who do you think has to figure out the problem? the manufacturer, the retailer is just a middleman. WIth auto's dealers also get extra money from the repair and service. its all business see? They get paid by nissan to fix you rproblem, and nissan has no need to open up 2 zillion shops around the world.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:25 PM
ezchief

My SM is Richard at Bankston Nissan Dallas. Good guy. Might want to call him if you are interested. Anyway, that's the line he gave me or how I heard it.

In my opinion, you would think the vendor would want them back to inspect and or rebuild them. Perhaps improve their quality so they do not eat so many trannies.

Jeff, any idea what one of those trannies goes for price wise? J/C
Old 01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ezchief
Jeff, any idea what one of those trannies goes for price wise? J/C
Part number 32010-CD008 (Dealer cost $1382.00) List $2126.15
Old 01-09-2004, 05:44 PM
maximadave

finally got my new tranny replacement but still noticing 2nd and 4th gear grind, mostly when cold. Does a new tranny take time to break in or something?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by maximadave
finally got my new tranny replacement but still noticing 2nd and 4th gear grind, mostly when cold. Does a new tranny take time to break in or something?
I got mine replaced (read my sig) and I am still having an issue. I still have a grind going from 1st to 2nd when the engine is cold and have a knoch going from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd.

I was at Performance Nissan yesterday morning. Angel, the tech from Nissan came and drove my car. I left the car at Performance Nissan wedsday night so on thursday, I can drive the car first thing in the morning with Angel(Nissan Tech) to show him the grind & knochiness. Luckly, Angel did notice the little grind or a mechanical noise & the knochiness as he was driving my car.

NOW I KNOW I AM NOT CRAZY .

Angel wrote down my Vin number and he said he is going to check with Nissan Engineers. He said that he will be at Nissan next wed. so he will have an answer by friday.

He also said that there are 7 cars that Nissan has that they are testing for different things.

By the way I saw Jeff and Jason. Jeff said that he was going to get new graphic for his car. I wonder what it looks like.

Jeff if you are reading this. Post your pics.

Last edited by ssk0771; 01-09-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:47 PM
cgoodman

Default Tranny Part Number Location

I had my transmission replaced approximately 6 months ago. I would like to know if there is a way to check the part number on the transmission directly. Does anyone know where to look?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
daking350
Banned

Jeff,

Do you have any friends on the east coast in the ny,nj area that are mod friendly where I can get my tranny replaced..I am on my 2nd one and it fells funky going into 2nd and 3rd...But I have a procharger on the car
Old 01-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ssk0771
By the way I saw Jeff and Jason. Jeff said that he was going to get new graphic for his car. I wonder what it looks like.
Jeff if you are reading this. Post your pics.
Check out the thread here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=56149

Originally posted by cgoodman
I had my transmission replaced approximately 6 months ago. I would like to know if there is a way to check the part number on the transmission directly. Does anyone know where to look?
The trans casting number is the same on the outside. Not sure how you can tell other than looking at the paperwork your Dealer gave you after your trans was replaced. PM me with the part number and I'll tell you what generation trans it is.

Originally posted by daking350
Jeff, Do you have any friends on the east coast in the ny,nj area that are mod friendly where I can get my tranny replaced..I am on my 2nd one and it fells funky going into 2nd and 3rd...But I have a procharger on the car
Sorry... Most Dealers won't have anything to do with me because of the prices I sell to you guys at. They all hate me...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 AM
ssk0771

I got mine replaced (read my sig) and I am still having an issue. I still have a grind going from 1st to 2nd when the engine is cold and have a knoch going from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd.

I was at Performance Nissan yesterday morning. Angel, the tech from Nissan came and drove my car. I left the car at Performance Nissan wedsday night so on thursday, I can drive the car first thing in the morning with Angel(Nissan Tech) to show him the grind & knochiness. Luckly, Angel did notice the little grind or a mechanical noise & the knochiness as he was driving my car.

Angel wrote down my Vin number and he said he is going to check with Nissan Engineers. He said that he will be at Nissan next wed. so he will have an answer by friday.

He also said that there are 7 cars that Nissan has that they are testing for different things.

As of Today, I still have not heard back from Nissan Tech Support.

Just for FYI (for those of you who are interested.)
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 AM
ezchief

Jeff,

I had my tranny and clutch assembly replaced over a week ago. At first, it appeared to be going well. One morning, I had the radio off and did a 1-2 2-3 shift at modest RPM (4000) and noticed that when I depress the clutch I hear noise from the clutch. HArd to decribe a noise but it sounds like a midtone squeel like your sneakers on a hard wood floor.

Last night, I got on it going home and the noise got considerably louder at 5500-6400 RPM shifts especially 1-2 and 2-3. It is coming from the clutch area. As it is muffled, a little, it appears to be coming from behind the clutch assembly/fire wall.

Have you heard of this? The tranny shifts fine with no grinding? Any input would be helpful as I am sure this is going to be another dealer visit.

PS-the last replacement, the tech stripped the plastic locks for the dead foot pedal. Must have been lazy and just yanked it off. Now it is sitting on my passenger seat. Great.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
boxsterkiller

I have the same symptoms and also noticed the "squeel" , especially early mornings and radio off. My tranny (the one before the one with out the clutch assem. replac.) shift O.K. and gets lounder at higher RPMs. I have also been waiting to see Angel since I got my Z to talk about other Z problems. I have also noticed the laziness and stuffed being yanked. Jeff is still "The Man" though.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:44 PM
ssk0771

As of last wedsday, I got a call back from NNA. They told me that all the issues I am having is normal for the Z. They also said thats how the Z's were made. I can't belive they said that. When Angel Drove my car, he knew that there was something wrong. I am soo dam fraustrated. I also drove 3 other Z's yesterday and their tranny is nothing like mine. they all shifted firm. One had little knochiness but it was very minor. Mine on the other had is very rough & loose. The NNA says that there is nothing they can do any more. This is ridiculous. I think they are full of ****. I even told NNA that I would bring my friends cars to show them the difference but they declined. They said that sending a tech out is the last thing they do.

I have driven sticks for over 10 years, actually, 20 years and I have never had a tranny that shifted like my car. I also test drove 3 of my friends cars who are forum member and their cars are nothing like mine. I know every car drives little different but they have basic commonality. I also had one my friend drive my car who was an auto mechanic at one time and even he noticed that my car shift very rough and that something is not dis-engaging all the way for my car shift smooth. At the same time when the clutch is pressed all the way and you shift 3rd to 4th back in forth, my tranny jumps and made clunck noise. We also tried it with his car, just made mechanical noise but it did not jump like mine.

I don't know what to do. DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA?

Last edited by ssk0771; 01-25-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:44 PM
350ed
Professional

BBB arbitration and get it lemon law'd.

Quick Reply: Latest on Transmission replacement!!