Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Latest on Transmission replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news!! Now let's hope the problem is gone for good!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Reaper700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES ! JUST DID A TRACK DAY AND FINISHED OFF MY POTENZA'S. GEAR BOX WORKS GREAT !
Old 08-22-2004, 12:11 PM
310_G35

Angry

3rd gear is teh notchy for me..
Old 08-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Iezzi

I had my trans replaced at arond 11K. I have had no issues until resently. I now have 17723 and I am starting to feel more notichness in 2nd, 4th, and 5th. I really hope that this doesn't contuine to get worse. Did anyone else have 008 replacement with new clutch petal and have to replace it twice?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:47 PM
SilverDollarZ

Good forum here. I just purchased a used 2003 350Z with 18k miles on it. Since I own a 260Z (the OEM carbs lasted until I rebuilt the engine at 150K) and a 90 300ZX TT, you can count me as one of those die hard Z fans, but I sure like to know what I am getting myself into. I have noticed some problems at times going from one gear to another, but have attributed it to poor shifting on my part. Maybe it is more than that. Currently the transmission does not make any note-worthy noises, but I will be paying more attention.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
jimster716

I just had my tranny replaced yesterday. It was kind of weird but the first time i tried to put it in fifth gear after picking her up, it wouldn't go into the gate...tried again and it worked. Definitely feels different (not better) but I am assuming there is a minimal break-in time as today's commute felt pretty good (still notchy).
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Formula2_350Z

Hey y'all, I've read through this whole thread and noticed that all of this is with a manual transmission. I have an automatic tranny and two nights ago my car started jumping from gear to gear, with my revs running b/w 2k and 6k. Then the gears started disengaging altogether and it ran in neutral even though I had it in gear. Could the problem y'all are referring to happen with an auto tranny as well? Jeff, any input on this? My car is being towed to the dealer as we speak!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Mar3oob

Wondering if it would be possible to find the part number stamped on the trans case somewhere?? It would be easier to just look and see if it has the 008 trans or not.

Anyone know if the part number is visible on the trans case?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:02 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff, I bought a used G35 and only noticed this recently. When I'm in a parking garage or any closed in area I SOMETIMES hear a clunk when going from 1st to 2nd and an audible rattle back and forth, but if I'm stopped and put the car in neutral and let the clutch out there is a weird rattle like noise. The best way to describe it is a quiet diesel engine. I took it to a dealer in Augusta, GA and he said it was a normal sound for this transmission. Also less frequently when shifting I feel a grinding sensation on the stick but can't hear anything. Is this normal???
Old 09-04-2004, 05:25 AM
shagz

Default Are these the latest part #'s for the Touring tranny replacement?

Are these the parts involved in the tranny swap?

30100-CD020 clutch disc

32010-CD008 transaxle (gearbox)

46503-CD011 Pedal

I was told by my dealer on thursday that my tranny will be replaced and that the part(s) have been ordered. I want to verify the #'s with you guys so I can check with him.
Thanks.

PS: Mine is a 2003 Touring
Old 09-04-2004, 06:19 AM
Reaper700

Yup, that is exactly what was replaced on mine August 13th. You will notice that the cluth now engages right at the end of the pedal travel and starts in first gear now are a bit jerky and took me some time to get used to the new pedal. I think in partl it may be due to the new clutch plate is very grabby and I hope in time it will settle in.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:12 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
Jeff, I bought a used G35 and only noticed this recently. When I'm in a parking garage or any closed in area I SOMETIMES hear a clunk when going from 1st to 2nd and an audible rattle back and forth, but if I'm stopped and put the car in neutral and let the clutch out there is a weird rattle like noise. The best way to describe it is a quiet diesel engine. I took it to a dealer in Augusta, GA and he said it was a normal sound for this transmission. ...
The 1-2 gear clunk, especially with a quick release of the clutch, has been chalked up by most to the mechanical take-up in the drive train. This will happen in other vehicles (trucks, etc.) to some degree – its just not as noticeable.

As far as the clicking noise you describe, my Z does it also. It almost sounds like a relay clicking or something like that. I really don't know what it is. I have heard it occasionally from my wife’s 2001 Civic.

I think many sports car owners (myself included) are sensitive to any unusual but normal noises, etc. It’s OK though because it’s indicative of good awareness and attention to detail. But some times it can drive a person nuts!

Last edited by pulpz2; 09-04-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Valkyrie
Banned

Originally posted by pulpz2
The 1-2 gear clunk, especially with a quick release of the clutch, has been chalked up by most to the mechanical take-up in the drive train. This will happen in other vehicles (trucks, etc.) to some degree – its just not as noticeable.

As far as the clicking noise you describe, my Z does it also. It almost sounds like a relay clicking or something like that. I really don't know what it is. I have heard it occasionally from my wife’s 2001 Civic.

I think many sports car owners (myself included) are sensitive to any unusual but normal noises, etc. It’s OK though because it’s indicative of good awareness and attention to detail. But some times it can drive a person nuts!
Yeah it drives me nuts!! The infiniti guys said it was normal but the Nissan service guys said something was wrong
Old 09-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Oops! Valkyrie was still logged on when I posted that.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 AM
pulpz2

Originally posted by Valkyrie
Yeah it drives me nuts!! The infiniti guys said it was normal but the Nissan service guys said something was wrong
So have the Nissan guys determined the cause and a fix?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally posted by pulpz2
So have the Nissan guys determined the cause and a fix?
I don't know if Nissan can work on my infiniti. They didn't spend a lot of time with it, I was buying a beater and asked them to look at it in passing he drove it around the lot and said it was strange, and another guy said he thought it was the throw out bearing. Next time I'm in town I'll ask about it.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:13 AM
Risk

Hi Jeff, I just traded my 5at G35 for a 6mt 350Z!! I love the car, but am having the same "tranny and clutch" rattling that I have read about in these forums. It seems that a lot of guys with the 03 manual tranny cars have had the tranny replaced......Not only does it make that grinding sound when the car is stationary with the clutch fully out, but is sounds like Im dragging a box of rocks behind me in the first couple of gears...(sigh). Other than that, the clutch grips well (its slipped a couple of times in first) and the tranny feels ok for the most part, its just that noise thats killin me. Does this sound like cars that youve heard?? What would the fix for this commonly be? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

By the way, my Z is Le Mans Sunset with the bright orange guts in it, and I already LOVE IT!!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:46 PM
HK$FairladyZ

How do I know if there is a recall on my tranny?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Reaper700

If it grinds from 2nd to 3rd
Old 10-14-2004, 02:13 PM
jpenderg

Does anyone know of a dealer in NC, VA, or DC/MD area that replaced their tranny? I am desperate, having a ton of difficulty with the dealer here. I am having lag going into gear of 3-7 seconds, LOUD gear whine in almost every gear and speed now (can hear it over the radio), slight grinding in 2nd and 3rd gear... and yet this dealer claims he can't reproduce the problem (after witnessing the gear lag while I was driving!!!!!) and LOUD clunking/fluttering when engaging the clutch with no throttle on (esp bad around 12 mph). All of this has significantly increased over time. I need help! Any advice would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Latest on Transmission replacement!!