Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Latest on Transmission replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
UTCiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a concerned noob looking to buy one of these, what percentage of you are having the problem with the transmission?

Is the problem directly relating to the performance oriented drivers who push the car on a consistent basis?

I'll hopefully be buying a used one soon so it wont have the latest transmission and I try to avoid dealers most of the time.

Last edited by UTCiv; 01-30-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:30 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by UTCiv
As a concerned noob looking to buy one of these, what percentage of you are having the problem with the transmission?

Is the problem directly relating to the performance oriented drivers who push the car on a consistent basis?

I'll hopefully be buying a used one soon so it wont have the latest transmission and I try to avoid dealers most of the time.
I don't abuse my car/tranny at all. In fact I don't even drive fast.

The funny thing is that my friends who says they abuse the tranny or who does power shift dosen't seem to have an issue. Maybe I should abuse my tranny & maybe it will fix the problem.

Last edited by ssk0771; 01-30-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 PM
pulpz2

The percentage is small. Likely less than the average vehicle. However, It does seem that those who have problems have repeat problems. Although, perhaps, those who have the problem fixed with no reoccurance no longer post.

I'm stunned that some people have had their tranny replaced 2-3-4 times. They really thrash the tranny, or some other problem within the car exists that is casuing the problem.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:17 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by pulpz2
The percentage is small. Likely less than the average vehicle. However, It does seem that those who have problems have repeat problems. Although, perhaps, those who have the problem fixed with no reoccurance no longer post.

I'm stunned that some people have had their tranny replaced 2-3-4 times. They really thrash the tranny, or some other problem within the car exists that is casuing the problem.
At time, I don't think its the tranny. I actually think its the pressure plate or something that its related to.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:56 AM
ezchief

Guys and gals,

I had my tranny and clutch replaced three weeks ago and had a horrible "whooshing" sound pushing in the clutch at 4500 RPM. It was still notchy as before but no grind. Took it back a week later and they were left shaking their heads after the tech confirmed the noise during a ride along. After a week of consultation with tech support, they decided to remove and replace the>>>>>>

THROW OUT BEARING!

To my great relief and pleasure, this thing is as slick as ice. Notchy is gone and the rattle when in neutral is all but gone. Barely noticeable as it should be.

Any comments and I will try to reply.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:52 AM
dnguyent

Throw out bearing! I have the new transmission, but still hear the clunk-clunk-clunk (rattle-like) when I push the clutch in quickly at 3k+ rpms. If I had any hair left, I'd pull out more!

I plan to have the dealership look at this problem as well as my tire wearing problem (feathering on both shoulder blocks of front tires) during the next oil change. I'll definitely mention the throw out bearing as a potential culprit. Thanks for the heads up ezchief.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:43 PM
ssk0771

Originally posted by ezchief
Guys and gals,

I had my tranny and clutch replaced three weeks ago and had a horrible "whooshing" sound pushing in the clutch at 4500 RPM. It was still notchy as before but no grind. Took it back a week later and they were left shaking their heads after the tech confirmed the noise during a ride along. After a week of consultation with tech support, they decided to remove and replace the>>>>>>

THROW OUT BEARING!

To my great relief and pleasure, this thing is as slick as ice. Notchy is gone and the rattle when in neutral is all but gone. Barely noticeable as it should be.

Maybe THROW OUT BEARING is the key.

At this point, I don't think its the tranny. I had 3 trannies replaced and I still have an issue.

Can you tell me how your knoch was. I have grind in 2nd and knoch on all my gears now. It use to be only 2nd & 3rd. Now its all the gear.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 AM
ezchief

Originally posted by ssk0771
Maybe THROW OUT BEARING is the key.

At this point, I don't think its the tranny. I had 3 trannies replaced and I still have an issue.

Can you tell me how your knoch was. I have grind in 2nd and knoch on all my gears now. It use to be only 2nd & 3rd. Now its all the gear.
Knotchy in 1-2 and 2-3. Real bad 1-2 before. 2-3 was hit and miss but I could always feel the gear being engaged throught the stick.

I really never had the grind before except for 2 missed shifts.

Now it is smooth.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Lokix

I'll have to go along the same lines as UVCiv. I do not own one of these cars but will hopefully with in 6months or so. I decided to lurk on this forum for issues just like this. It will be the first new car I have ever owned and want to be pleased with it. These tranny problems you guys are having, do they take away form the enjoyment of the car? Also if these problems countinue on after the warrentie runs out are you on your own at that point? Thanks for the help and great site. Once i get one Jeff will be getting some far away buisness....North Carolina.

One more thing..any good dealers out this way?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:50 PM
uro279

Originally posted by Lokix
I'll have to go along the same lines as UVCiv. I do not own one of these cars but will hopefully with in 6months or so. I decided to lurk on this forum for issues just like this. It will be the first new car I have ever owned and want to be pleased with it. These tranny problems you guys are having, do they take away form the enjoyment of the car? Also if these problems countinue on after the warrentie runs out are you on your own at that point? Thanks for the help and great site. Once i get one Jeff will be getting some far away buisness....North Carolina.

One more thing..any good dealers out this way?
Welcome!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lokix
Once i get one Jeff will be getting some far away buisness....North Carolina.
Call me/PM anytime...
Old 02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
overZealous

Guys and gals,

THROW OUT BEARING!

I can understand how the throwout bearing could be responsible for the noise but can't make the connection between that and curing any grinding. The bearing is just an interface between the pivot arm and the pressure plate. It will move the plate the same distance whether it's noisey or not. I would think that the bearing would have to be completely destroyed to have that kind of impact and they certainly would have seen that the first time that they had it apart if you could even drive it at all like that. The pressure plate, on the other hand, could make all the difference. I'm just wondering if they replaced that as well or just the bearing. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:41 AM
ezchief

I'll scan in my repair order when I get home tonight. I do not think the pressure plate was replaced this time. Three weeks ago, I did have a new clutch assembly put in when they replaced the tranny. Would the pressure plate have been included? I still had the knotchy feeling though.

Rememeber, I did not have the grinding but did have knotchy feel in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I am no expert in this field so I differ to anyone with knowledge. My knotch has definitely been all but eliminated after the throw out bearing replacement. And that chattering noise in neutral is barely audible now.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:46 AM
overZealous

I'll scan in my repair order when I get home tonight. I do not think the pressure plate was replaced this time. Three weeks ago, I did have a new clutch assembly put in when they replaced the tranny. Would the pressure plate have been included? I still had the knotchy feeling though.

Rememeber, I did not have the grinding but did have knotchy feel in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I am no expert in this field so I differ to anyone with knowledge. My knotch has definitely been all but eliminated after the throw out bearing replacement. And that chattering noise in neutral is barely audible now.

Any thoughts?
Hey I'm no expert either. I would guess that if they replaced the clutch assembly that would have included a new pressure plate. But then again they usually throw in a throw out (no pun intended) bearing while their at it. I guess if it wasn't warranty work and you were picking up the tab you most definitely would have needed a throw out bearing up front. But since Nissan was picking up the tab, well, we'll just do without that for now. And look what it cost them. Had to do the job twice. It would be a shame if all of these transmissions have been toasted because of a malfunctioning clutch though. Glad to hear that yours is working well. I'm not quite there yet so I was just curious.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:55 AM
ezchief

Originally posted by overZealous
Hey I'm no expert either. I would guess that if they replaced the clutch assembly that would have included a new pressure plate. But then again they usually throw in a throw out (no pun intended) bearing while their at it. I guess if it wasn't warranty work and you were picking up the tab you most definitely would have needed a throw out bearing up front. But since Nissan was picking up the tab, well, we'll just do without that for now. And look what it cost them. Had to do the job twice. It would be a shame if all of these transmissions have been toasted because of a malfunctioning clutch though. Glad to hear that yours is working well. I'm not quite there yet so I was just curious.
It cost them to the tune of $585 on the second repair. The service writer printed the NNA bill by mistake and the cashier asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I started laughing and then got really concerned.

If my memory is correct, I think the bearing was something like $125. Think of all that labor dollars they would have saved had they not gone cheap.

One other thing I was told is that the clutch lining is not normal. Most of the time they are like brake pad linings. This thing is like a gel substance. Any truth to that Jeff?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
overZealous

It cost them to the tune of $585 on the second repair. The service writer printed the NNA bill by mistake and the cashier asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I started laughing and then got really concerned.

If my memory is correct, I think the bearing was something like $125. Think of all that labor dollars they would have saved had they not gone cheap.

One other thing I was told is that the clutch lining is not normal. Most of the time they are like brake pad linings. This thing is like a gel substance. Any truth to that Jeff?
I knew there had to be some gel involved somewhere here. I just wasn't sure if it was in the tires or the shocks, but the clutch? The French influence is now coming into play. Recall the Citroen with the liquigel suspension? Or was that a Renault? In either case it's a shame that they outlawed asbestos. Now that was a clutch disk material that we could be proud of even if it did cover the planet in a cloud of carcinogenic fiber.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the info Jeff,

As of friday 2/13/04, my shifter is freakin broke. I can put the car in 6th gear, and the freakin shiftk will "float" back to the center (neutral) position even though it's in gear. The shift is floating around really really bad, and it feels like the shifter has been turned into a UV joint or something. It's hard to shift the car into 5th or 6th, and I did it twice on the freeway were I resulted into shifting into 3rd/4th. The gates are all that's keeping me from messing up the shift, but the shift has officially broke somehow. I don't know that the heck happened, just noticed on my way home from hitting the clubs, that the shifter on friday night was jacked and simply floating. I grind sometimes under power going into second (ie race), and when the car's cold going into the 5th under power or downshifting into 5th. I'll print this page out and show it to my dealership in which case I hope to get a new tranny. Thanks for the info Jeff, much appreciated!
Old 02-15-2004, 11:53 AM
uro279

What was that thread that talked about something about re-aligning a plate resulting in 'perfect' shifting and that only took 10min. while inside the car?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:38 PM
mode101

Default Re: Latest on Transmission replacement!!

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
For those of you getting your trans replaced under warrany, I just wanted to give you the latest update. Nissan is now on their 4th or is it 5th trans update. Make sure your dealer is installing the latest one that just got released. I ordered a bunch before they go on back order. The new part number is 32010-CD008 and they also replace your clutch pedal as well. Part number 46503-CD010 for the base and 46503-CD011 for the other cars. Here's a pix of the pedal assy.
I have an 04 roadster with build date 11/03, how can I check to see what tranny I have, and if it was one of the 'bad' designs ?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:41 PM
overZealous

Originally posted by uro279
What was that thread that talked about something about re-aligning a plate resulting in 'perfect' shifting and that only took 10min. while inside the car?
I think that referred to adjusting the shift control guide plate which lines up the shifter so that when you push it all the way to right it is linged up correctly to go into 5th and 6th. Seems like a number of dealers have not bothered to adjust it after a transmission replacement. Mine didn't. It took me longer than 10 minutes though and I never could get the shifter **** off. I think it's locktighted on. In any case it doesn't fix a messed up transmission and I don't think it's Juztin's problem. Sounds like something broke or came loose in the shift control mechanism. Here's the procedure if you need it. Sorry diagrams are not included. When you see it you'll know which bolts are a,b and c. Use a small flat screw driver to lift the console finisher up and out from the rear.

SHIFT CONTROL
3. Shifting control lever assembly to 6th gear, the control lever
assembly is light pressed to the reverse side.
4. At the point where the control lever assembly stops, bring the
guide plate closer until guide plate stopper contacts control lever
assembly claw, and then loosely tighten mounting bolt A.
5. Shifting control lever assembly to 5th gear, the control lever
assembly light pressed to the reverse side.
6. At the point where control lever assembly stops, bring guide
plate closer until the guide plate stopper contacts control lever
assembly claw, and then loosely tighten mounting bolt C.
7. Tighten guide plate bolts A and B to the specified torque.
8. Install control lever boot.
9. Install hole cover.
10. Install console finisher. Refer to IP-12, "Removal and Installation"

Quick Reply: Latest on Transmission replacement!!