Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch and Flywheel trouble! Manual Install help please!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
enlopez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Flywheel trouble! Manual Install help please!

So my oem clutch is completely trashed and I have already taken everything apart but had no idea that the stock flywheel was dual mass?

I looked everywhere but as I understand you can't get it resurfaced so i'm looking to buy a new flywheel and could use suggestions. The ACT street/prolite flywheels look appealing but I don't know if there are different procedures for that install? or how lightweight I should go? or what the side effects are for using a single mass flywheel on the Z setup.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKYOU!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Gozirra

Jim Wolf Technology and ACT clutch and flywheel packages are popular. The JWT seems to get good reviews. A lighter flywheel obviously sheds some lbs, and on our car any weight off is good. I believe the biggest pro is that the car will rev faster with a lighter flywheel. Cons would include stiffness for a while, harder to get the car going in first gear because you have to rev higher, harder to rev match, and you'll have to relearn the new setup because itll have different grab points and responsiveness. Keep researching and hopefully someone will chime in because Im no expert on the matter.

Last edited by Gozirra; 07-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM
enlopez

Thanks man, anything helps. I ordered the prolite so its 20+ lbs lighter xD. At this point i'm mainly wondering if anybody knows if there is a different procedure for the install? Or if someone knows a good clutch install DIY in general...
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by enlopez
Thanks man, anything helps. I ordered the prolite so its 20+ lbs lighter xD. At this point i'm mainly wondering if anybody knows if there is a different procedure for the install? Or if someone knows a good clutch install DIY in general...
from what i know its pretty standard...i have the nismo (wish i went with jwt), should come with the little tool to line it up properly and all. if not see if you can find a number to call.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
enlopez

Ya it went smoothly, everything installed moderately easily....except now that everything is back together I tested the clutch and it just stays in the down position. I have to manually pull it back up. I have no idea what I did wrong. I followed a DIY and everything....@_@
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
easternriderkid

from my experience the clutch master aluminum is good i have the same one in my Z, rpm spins up real quick. however you wanted some side effects from being so light and a single your going to get a chatter in the fly wheel. when siting at a light you will hear it and trying to hit the gas under 2000 rpms it sounds like beer cans in your trans until you get to about 2500 rpm but i have had that flywheel in the car for 30000 mi and no issues but the noise. good luck to you sir.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enlopez
Ya it went smoothly, everything installed moderately easily....except now that everything is back together I tested the clutch and it just stays in the down position. I have to manually pull it back up. I have no idea what I did wrong. I followed a DIY and everything....@_@
You have to bleed it. Alot. It's a PITA. Also make sure you lined up the flywheel right or it's not gonna run .
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
MrGlass