Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

transmission/stick vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 PM
tmanstuart2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission/stick vibration

does anyone else experience a vibration after they switch the cruise control off going on the highway, it vibrates around my gear shift, i have a 2006 touring 350z with 6 speed
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I don’t notice this; there’s no vibration after turning off cruise control on my 2003 350z.

When you disengage cruise, the car drops the electronic accelerator (the Z does not have a mechanical accelerator).

If you are traveling at highway speed and not using the cruise control: What happens if you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator?

--Spike
Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM
tmanstuart2

Originally Posted by Spike100
I don’t notice this; there’s no vibration after turning off cruise control on my 2003 350z.

When you disengage cruise, the car drops the electronic accelerator (the Z does not have a mechanical accelerator).

If you are traveling at highway speed and not using the cruise control: What happens if you suddenly take your foot off the accelerator?

--Spike
it doesn't do it when I'm not using the cruise control, it only does it every so often so i was just wondering if any of y'all had this same issue
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does this when I step on the gas slightly or a lot. It does it in cruise control and when I'm controlling the throttle. It has to do with the shifter on mine because when I put my hand on it it stops making the vibrating sound. Idk about your problem though.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Spike100

Hmm... I wonder if the OP thinks the shifter should never vibrate?

My shift-stick always vibrates. I just thought the OP was looking at excessive vibration, or a vibration difference when the cruise control is ON or OFF.

--Spike

Originally Posted by Jah70
Mine does this when I step on the gas slightly or a lot. It does it in cruise control and when I'm controlling the throttle. It has to do with the shifter on mine because when I put my hand on it it stops making the vibrating sound. Idk about your problem though.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM
tmanstuart2

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hmm... I wonder if the OP thinks the shifter should never vibrate?

My shift-stick always vibrates. I just thought the OP was looking at excessive vibration, or a vibration difference when the cruise control is ON or OFF.

--Spike
spike, my **** vibrates like every other manual car does, but I'm mainly talking about a noticeable vibration like one that shakes the center console a little
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
tmanstuart2

Originally Posted by Jah70
who knows it might just be what my car does, i haven't noticed any substantial problem with it so ill just let it continue until something breaks
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Spike100

Got it... I understand...

No... I don't get any significant shake on the center console.

--Spike

Originally Posted by tmanstuart2
spike, my **** vibrates like every other manual car does, but I'm mainly talking about a noticeable vibration like one that shakes the center console a little
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM
timeltel

Received 177 Likes on 123 Posts

Regards tmanstewart2: Pay attention to your tachometer. If the vibration is most apparent at 4100-4000 or 2800-2700 RPM during deceleration it may be due to harmonic vibrations of the spring damped dual-mass pressure plate, a gift from Nissan. This is frequently observed and can result in excessive wear to the pilot bearing and eventually damage to the front bearings at the input shaft.

If, when idling in neutral, your transmission sounds like it has more gravel in than it used to, this may be the reason. You might also check for play in the driveshaft u-joints.

http://www.clutchpro.com.au/files/TSB-DMF01.pdf

Last edited by timeltel; 11-25-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
nothix

Originally Posted by timeltel
Regards tmanstewart2: Pay attention to your tachometer. If the vibration is most apparent at 4100-4000 or 2800-2700 RPM during deceleration it may be due to harmonic vibrations of the spring damped dual-mass pressure plate, a gift from Nissan. This is frequently observed and can result in excessive wear to the pilot bearing and eventually damage to the front bearings at the input shaft.

If, when idling in neutral, your transmission sounds like it has more gravel in than it used to, this may be the reason. You might also check for play in the driveshaft u-joints.

http://www.clutchpro.com.au/files/TSB-DMF01.pdf

What is the fix for this?
Replace flywheel?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 AM
timeltel

Received 177 Likes on 123 Posts

Regards, nothix: Some background: Bought my '08 new. After two years of mostly touring and the occasional challenging of a nice curve, observed a non-typical vibration of the shifter when gearing down. First thought it a harmonic vibration of the driveshaft & paid little attention to it. Three years in at about 20,000 mi. the famous gearbox rattle at idle became more evident.

Always dealer serviced (warranty documentation), about this time last year had all fluids/lubricants flushed & replaced at 32k miles, mentioned again the vibration and tranny rattle. Service advisor made a note, commented "it's known to be a noisy transmission". BTW, this is a good shop.

Did ZNationals, shifter hung between 5th/6th gear several times, mentioned this also at next service, every 5k mi. Took a test drive with the competent "technician" who is familiar with my Z. Put it on a lift, drained tranny lube and found metal particles. Contacted Nissan Warranty & recommended a replacement.

After several weeks of negotiation with Nissan Warranty & excellent support from Customer Relations a replacement was authorized, one day after factory warranty expired. Inspected clutch/pressure plate/flywheel while gearbox was out. Plenty of meat left on clutch disk and machining marks still fairly sharp on metal interfaces. Installed ZSpeed heavy duty clutch master/slave cylinders & drove it home on a Friday.

Returned the following Monday, vibration at 2700 & 4100rpm reduced but still evident. Back on the rack, checked driveshaft & found both universals loose. Dealer contacted extended warranty provider, three days later a new driveshaft was installed. Intermittent vibration is still evident. Process of elimination leaves clutch components as source of vibration.

Google "Dual mass flywheel problems", you'll find hundreds of reports of concerns, usually manifesting at about 20k miles. Failure to replace the DMF *MAY* result in wear to the splines on the input shaft, rear seal, crankshaft bearings or, as occurred with mine, wear to input shaft bearings.

As the DMF is specifically tuned to work in partnership with the crankshaft harmonic balancer to modulate crankshaft vibration, replacement with a single mass flywheel (SMF) will probably produce the often-commented on vibration/noise at low rpms. Care should be used in selecting components as using a clutch disk without damping springs can result in damage to the drive train. For a daily driver, the (IMHO) sensible solution is to replace with the OEM DMF and anticipate doing it again when it shows signs of failure.

Now I've a dilema. Ten months and 10k miles remaining on tranny/driveshaft warranty from Nissan and a DMF that due to runout will quite probably cause premature wear to the input shaft and possibly engine main bearings. I'm inclined to install a South Bend mid-mass steel SMF and stage 1 clutch assembly (which will potentially void factory warranty). Other options are to replace the OEM DMF on my dime now, or, with fingers crossed, leave as is until until warranty period expires?

http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi..._zms_de_en.pdf