Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Turned off engine ticking when pushing gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM
Alakhan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turned off engine ticking when pushing gas pedal

Hello guys,

i've been searching the forum to see if anyone had encountered this problem but i seem to have no luck.

When contact is on but engine is off on my 2007 Z33, if i push the gas pedal i get a loud repetitive tick coming from the engine : https://vocaroo.com/jLOTHdVy2V4

Any idea on what could be going on? I've had the spark plugs changed a few days ago, but i couldn't say if the problem occured earlier since i don't really remember having applied gas with engine off before.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Gotta be the electronic throttle.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (01-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Alakhan

Is it supposed to be working and making that noise when engine is off?

I just watched a DIY video about changing plugs on the HR and i see you have to remove the throttle body to access some of them so maybe it has been corrupted during that process.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

How is a ticking noise with engine off a problem- is the driving performance degraded?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 AM
Alakhan

Originally Posted by jhc
How is a ticking noise with engine off a problem- is the driving performance degraded?
Driving is ok, i just have a slightly rough idle so maybe everything is linked to a throttle body that need a reset. Haven't managed to do it though, but trying to follow the procedure i realised the noise was gone. Went for an hour drive and the noise was back when i got home.

And i agree, this doesn't seem to be a huge issue, especially since it only happens when i press the gas pedal with engine off which should not happen really often... but in case there was a real problem here it was worthed asking you guys.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Alakhan
Driving is ok, i just have a slightly rough idle so maybe everything is linked to a throttle body that need a reset. Haven't managed to do it though, but trying to follow the procedure i realised the noise was gone. Went for an hour drive and the noise was back when i got home.

And i agree, this doesn't seem to be a huge issue, especially since it only happens when i press the gas pedal with engine off which should not happen really often... but in case there was a real problem here it was worthed asking you guys.
Like DeadEye stated above ^^^ it may well be your throttle bodies. HOWEVER with the key on and you pressing the gas pedal they may be going into "Learning Mode" bc that's exactly how it's done. That's not something I'd continue doing unless to are trying to reset/relearn them. But hey, it's your car...02.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:20 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

This is why they say you are not supposed to press the accelerator on fuel injected cars. Carb engines sometimes require a couple pumps before starting. Just like JHC stated it puts the car in learning mode and if not finished or done incorrectly can cause issues with idling and drivability.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (01-17-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 02:13 AM
Alakhan

I've seen the procedures to reset or go into learning mode for ECU, TB, etc. It's like ten steps of "press gas and release 5 times in a row in 5 seconds, then wait 7 seconds, then press during 10 secs etc..." and then, after a precise combination it goes into reset/learning mode.

So i don't quite get why turning off the engine and pressing the gas pedal a few times without following any procedures would make the car go into learning mode. I mean, i've read people trying for hours to manage to go into that mode because timing are so precise, i don't really think i've managed to do it without wanting it...