Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil leak source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 03:09 PM
badvibeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak source?

Where does this leak look to be coming from, was thinking oil pan but this hose is coated thick! I run no undertray and a kbd bumper but no way a leaky pan could coat a hose in front of it right?

Old 06-03-2021, 03:36 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Welcome- looks like something is spraying oil back across the block. My guess is the aftermarket oil filter pictured in photo #7. It looks like it's slightly dented in that photo and any increase in oil pressure will have it spraying oil everywhere. How much oil is your Z using every 1,000 miles?
Old 06-03-2021, 03:42 PM
badvibeZ

Hey DKmura thanks for the reply!
and Im sorry there is only 4 photos, was your reply meant for another post?
Old 06-04-2021, 04:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by badvibeZ
Hey DKmura thanks for the reply!
and Im sorry there is only 4 photos, was your reply meant for another post?
Your first photo had been linked to 21 pics, and they seem to have shifted from the first time I examined them. Did you not intend this?

Last edited by dkmura; 06-04-2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:12 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 456 Likes on 370 Posts

Brake clean everything and see where it's coming from
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 07:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Brake clean everything and see where it's coming from
And be sure to promptly inspect the underside immediately after the followup drive to get the best visual clues.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:50 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

he could get fancy and get the dye
Old 06-04-2021, 08:19 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Without hands on inspection, I would GUESS a front seal (or front cover or oil pan gasket) has gone awry and oil is being flung by the pulley. But again, just a guess at this point but you may want to concentrate on that area for inspection. Also check your power steering system for leakage, pump, lines, rack, etc.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:17 PM
badvibeZ

Dkmura I did not intend for that to happen!

To everyone else, thank you for the replys! On another inspection today I hate to admit but it looks like my valve covers (which I just did myself only a year ago) are leaking on all 4 bottom corners ( 2 on passenger and the 2 on driver) A real bummer my RTV skills must have not been up to par or the bolts need retorqued maybe? Gonna try the first before new gaskets and seal, But yes it seems the rear corners are leaking and have dripped to coat the bottom of my block, the front 2 have dripped down the cover behind the pulleys and onto the pan and hose, add the highway speeds and its everywhere else :[. I was getting the dummy light on hard corners and quick stops after about 4500 miles, including 2 trips to Florida from Atlanta. I will update after cleaning, oil change, and valve cover bolt retorquing to see if that is the definite issue!
Old 06-04-2021, 03:46 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by badvibeZ
Dkmura I did not intend for that to happen!

To everyone else, thank you for the replys! On another inspection today I hate to admit but it looks like my valve covers (which I just did myself only a year ago) are leaking on all 4 bottom corners ( 2 on passenger and the 2 on driver) A real bummer my RTV skills must have not been up to par or the bolts need retorqued maybe? Gonna try the first before new gaskets and seal, But yes it seems the rear corners are leaking and have dripped to coat the bottom of my block, the front 2 have dripped down the cover behind the pulleys and onto the pan and hose, add the highway speeds and its everywhere else :[. I was getting the dummy light on hard corners and quick stops after about 4500 miles, including 2 trips to Florida from Atlanta. I will update after cleaning, oil change, and valve cover bolt retorquing to see if that is the definite issue!
Bummer. Just out of curiosity, did you actually replace the valve covers or just "re-glue" them? And if you did replace, did you use factory covers or aftermarket? Reason for questions: The "re-glue" method rarely works for long and second, if you replaced with aftermarket, same thing, those don't last either. The real solution - like so many other parts on our cars - is to use factory parts only and avoid the re-do. But glad you seem to have located the issue.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:15 PM
badvibeZ

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Bummer. Just out of curiosity, did you actually replace the valve covers or just "re-glue" them? And if you did replace, did you use factory covers or aftermarket? Reason for questions: The "re-glue" method rarely works for long and second, if you replaced with aftermarket, same thing, those don't last either. The real solution - like so many other parts on our cars - is to use factory parts only and avoid the re-do. But glad you seem to have located the issue.

OEM valve covers and gaskets from Z1 so I could have fresh plug seals. torqued to spec but going through the forums I am reading that re torquing is something that might need to be done with these valve covers! Hopefully that will save me the trouble of removing the covers and resealing, but if I had dummy light after 4k miles it might already be too late for the easy fix