10.62%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Feathering poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
HAWKINS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 261 2003 failures

my 03 350z has 12,000 miles and so far the tires look ok to me.....but i certainly have a "heads up about the problem".....

right now, however, i love the car......if i keep it for another 3 years and have to buy 3 sets of tires and spend, say, $2000.....i don't think i will complain about that because it will be worth it......despite the inconvenience at the time........

(however, i may do some complaining at the time....just to keep them on their toes)
Old 11-19-2004, 08:37 PM
macka

Here is my story:

Bought the car, everything was fine until around 7k miles. Took it in and the dealership rotated the tires. Around 5-7k miles later, I took it back in because it was bad again. The dealer replaced the front tires. At around 25k miles, I took it back AGAIN and the dealer AGAIN put new tires on.

I'm now at the 30k mark and they are getting bad AGAIN.

I AM SO SICK OF THIS!

I should have just waited for the second year model or bought a ...dare I say...RX8!!!!!

I have begun to research the lemon laws here in TX and plan to try and get out of this car...I can't take this much longer!!!

Macka in H-TOwn
Old 11-21-2004, 05:51 PM
lew f

Originally posted by Bullet
I have an 03 with the noise, feathering and everything else, keep this thread going. And yes it keeps coming back.
I also had an '03 and filed for LL and won. there is no fix
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 AM
cvrobot

Default 2004 Feathering Problem

I have a 2004 Touring 350z with 13k on it. I have just recently had a problem with feathering and took it to my dealer to get it checked out. He said the left front tire is shot. I called Nissan Customer Service on Friday (11.19.04) and they said they will contact the dealer and get back to me within 2-3 business days. The person I spoke to at Nissan said they are aware of the 03 problem, as I could imagine, but they are not aware of any 04 tire problems. If anyone has a problem with their 04, we need to start making some phone calls to Nissan, 1-800-NISSAN-1.

On another note, my dealer pointed out something to me that I found interesting. He noted that the replacement tires for my car have been updated by Bridgestone tires. He pointed out that my tires have a different tredding then the new ones. If you look at the outermost rib cut of the tire on the old Potenza's, the cut goes all the way into the first deep water tread. On the new replacement tires, he said this rib stops just before the water tread. He claims this is one of the problems with the tires beside the toeing issue. He claims the problem with feathering is a combination between tire toeing, tread pattern and overall tire softness. Botten line, it seems as though the factory tires on the 03 and 04's are not well suited for the 350.

I'll keep you posted with any developments.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:40 AM
mattvols

Default Re: 2004 Feathering Problem

Originally posted by cvrobot
I have a 2004 Touring 350z with 13k on it. I have just recently had a problem with feathering and took it to my dealer to get it checked out. He said the left front tire is shot. I called Nissan Customer Service on Friday (11.19.04) and they said they will contact the dealer and get back to me within 2-3 business days. The person I spoke to at Nissan said they are aware of the 03 problem, as I could imagine, but they are not aware of any 04 tire problems. If anyone has a problem with their 04, we need to start making some phone calls to Nissan, 1-800-NISSAN-1.

On another note, my dealer pointed out something to me that I found interesting. He noted that the replacement tires for my car have been updated by Bridgestone tires. He pointed out that my tires have a different tredding then the new ones. If you look at the outermost rib cut of the tire on the old Potenza's, the cut goes all the way into the first deep water tread. On the new replacement tires, he said this rib stops just before the water tread. He claims this is one of the problems with the tires beside the toeing issue. He claims the problem with feathering is a combination between tire toeing, tread pattern and overall tire softness. Botten line, it seems as though the factory tires on the 03 and 04's are not well suited for the 350.

I'll keep you posted with any developments.
I have heard this too. This sounds like Nissan is getting the tire manufacturer to modify their tires, instead of fixing the defect on our cars. They are just adding rubber to the tires on the area where it wears out quick, so it looks like there is not a design flaw on the car. This is BS!
Old 11-25-2004, 05:50 PM
snoby

Originally posted by lew f
I also had an '03 and filed for LL and won. there is no fix
Well I have a 2004 model with 10k miles on it and it has the tire roar going on. The dealership will not replace it they say it is normal tire wear and that it because I didn't rotate the tires. Even though the manual says you can't rotate the tires!
Lew F I live in georgia also can you give us some more details of everything that you had to do and everything that happened with your lemon law suit?

Thnks
Matt
Old 11-26-2004, 04:03 AM
lew f

Originally posted by snoby
Well I have a 2004 model with 10k miles on it and it has the tire roar going on. The dealership will not replace it they say it is normal tire wear and that it because I didn't rotate the tires. Even though the manual says you can't rotate the tires!
Lew F I live in georgia also can you give us some more details of everything that you had to do and everything that happened with your lemon law suit?

Thnks
Matt
Matt:
I sent you an email. Call me if you wan to discuss. My number was included in the email
Old 11-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Zenvy

Default sad...tires feathering again

I put on a different brand of tires after my 3rd set of tires were replaced.
Kumho ECSTA ASX were my replacements and after 1,800 miles show feathering. This time it's also affecting some of the center tread (outermost portion). These tires are definitely harder but are still feathering...easily. Oh well, i'm planning on getting a stereo system installed to drown out future tire noise...

i needed to rant.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Don ZZZ

Originally posted by myrock
Just went to the dealership yesterday to get my 3rd set of front tires (w/less than 20k on my car). Swapping the tires and having the toe in adjusted doesn't do anything but make you have to return about 3k miles later to get a new set of tires. All of this is annoying to deal with but when the svc mgr tried to charge me to swap the tires I went straight to the GM of the dealership. He acknowledged that this is a known problem & I could file this problem under the lemon law or he would pay off my car & get me into a '04 at invoice. Keep screaming 'cause this problem won't go away.
I just traded my 2003 350Z. 1st set replaced at 17,000 miles. Nissan Corp told me 2 weeks ago, they would replace 2nd set. However, dealer said tires on backorder till April 2005. They offered no buy-out or loaner. So I traded....took a large deduct in price. Then filed a claim with a Lemon Law firm, and sent email copy to Nissan Corp. The case manager called me the same day to discuss a settlement. I will not hold my breath. I really loved that car, except for the inherent tire problems. My 3rd ZZZ
Old 11-30-2004, 09:50 AM
mattvols

Originally posted by lew f
Matt:
I sent you an email. Call me if you wan to discuss. My number was included in the email
Lew F,

I am interested in the info too. Please e-mail me with your number, mattvols86878284@aol.com. Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 10:11 AM
myrock

Last time I posted the GM of the dealership offered to pay off my '03 Z and put me in an '04 at invoice. Since he assured me that the problem had been fixed I took him up on the offer. So here it is 7 months later and my '04 has the same problem! I'm at 7 weeks and counting on getting replacement tires and have been waiting for two weeks to hear from my regional Nissan rep after filing my complaint with their Consumer Affairs department. ARRRGGGG!!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

myrock- That's a shame that your second 350z is also having the problem. I've been hearing about the tires being on back order again, which is also too bad. I'll probably try to take mine back in to try for some new tires this week. If I can get them to actually look at it, this will be the fifth time its been in a Nissan repair facility for the problem. I'm apparently flagged as a 'problem customer' though, and I usually can't even get a dealer to take my car into their shop.

You folks that are still having problems should probably submit your info to the firm that is working on the class action suit against Nissan.

http://www.wattslawfirm.com
361-887-0500
Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM
goodhands

I bought my 04 Z roadster in Sep 03. First set of tires replaced at 7,000 by Nissan...no questions asked. Noticed same feathering problem on new set when odometer hit 15,000. Now my dealer rotated the front (and charged me $30 for it!). I have already contacted Nissan and a lemon law attorney. I love this car but I refuse to spend $500 every 7,000 miles to replace the front tires. By the way, this is my 9th Nissan! It may be my last...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Don ZZZ

Originally posted by goodhands
I bought my 04 Z roadster in Sep 03. First set of tires replaced at 7,000 by Nissan...no questions asked. Noticed same feathering problem on new set when odometer hit 15,000. Now my dealer rotated the front (and charged me $30 for it!). I have already contacted Nissan and a lemon law attorney. I love this car but I refuse to spend $500 every 7,000 miles to replace the front tires. By the way, this is my 9th Nissan! It may be my last...
I drive approximately 2000 miles a month, and enjoyed my Z every mile except for the loud roar from the tires and rough ride during braking. My dealer knew of this problem before I bought it in Sept 2003, and sold it anyway. My first Z was a 1972 240Z, which I put 144,000 miles on it before trading. No problems other than normal maintenance. The tire issue is the only reason that I traded my '03, because after the 36,000 mile warranty, I had a fear of having to pay for tire repalcement. My dealer could'nt even install new brakes on the front without my taking it back in. Geeezus!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:30 PM
snoby

WOW,
So a class action lawsuit is finally happening! Does anyone have any hard information on this lawsuit. Is it just 2003 Z's or what?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Don ZZZ

Default Re: Re: 2004 Feathering Problem

Originally posted by mattvols
I have heard this too. This sounds like Nissan is getting the tire manufacturer to modify their tires, instead of fixing the defect on our cars. They are just adding rubber to the tires on the area where it wears out quick, so it looks like there is not a design flaw on the car. This is BS!
Type in Bridgestone Tires on your web browser. They're a subsidary of Firestone Tire. Helloooo.....Ford Explorer!!!

When I first contacted NISSAN-1 several weeks ago. The Service Rep said if Nissan did anything to replace my tires, it would be of their Goodwill. I then reminded her of the Firestone/Ford Explorer problem several years ago. I said...."we could just leave the tires on my car.....and hope for the best!"
Old 11-30-2004, 02:21 PM
cvrobot

Default Lawyers number

Originally posted by mattvols
Lew F,

I am interested in the info too. Please e-mail me with your number, mattvols86878284@aol.com. Thanks

Can you send me the number too. I just spoke to Nissan-1 and they said they can not do anything about my tires because it has over 10K on the tires! I've had several sports cars and never had this problem before. The bottom line is Nissan needs to take responsibility for this somehow. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:56 AM
mattvols

Default Re: Lawyers number

Originally posted by cvrobot
Can you send me the number too. I just spoke to Nissan-1 and they said they can not do anything about my tires because it has over 10K on the tires! I've had several sports cars and never had this problem before. The bottom line is Nissan needs to take responsibility for this somehow. Thanks.
Lew has not sent me the number yet, but I am calling the www.wattslawfirm.com about this. This is the first I have heard about a class action lawsuit. If anyone knows more, please post it here.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Don ZZZ

Have you visited the website: www.nissantireproblems.com..?
I'm not sure if this site is related to the other ....wattslawfirm.
If it is, please leave a message on this board.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
mattvols

Yes, I had left my info on www.nissantireproblems.com one month ago and have not heard anything. I did call The Watts Law Frim and left my info on somone named Terry Lynn's voicemail. I did not see this individual listed as an attorney on their website though, so who knows who he/she is? I will keep people informed of what I find out. We probably should start a new forum titled "Class Action Lawsuit Participants" so we can get a list together for the lawyers???

Quick Reply: Feathering poll