Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

****Any Christains on here??!***

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Shabba2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Everything can be explained through the teachings of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I love spaghetti, espcially my girlfriends Filipino spaghetti...where is Jeffie?

Tubbs, you made an excellent point when you said that not knowing something and admitting to it is a positive, not a negative. This is yet another point that aggravates me about religion. Every question is answered with "god" and is so ambiguous that it is impossible to penetrate the fog that surrounds the question.

"Why do people suffer, most especially children?"

"Well, god works in mysterious ways son..."

That isn't an answer, it's an avoidance technique. I would have more respect for more christians if they could simply say, like Biochem did, "I simply don't know.".

And Dutch, I'm with you bro. I went to church as a child and questioned enough that I was thrown out of bible study one day for disruption. I remember asking, at age 11, "If god is perfect, then why is he jealous of other gods. Isn't envy a sin?". No answer was given to me that day...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by Shabba2
And no one has answered my question yet...

Who made god? A being that is so advanced and complex as to create the universe had to be created by something more complex than even it. Simple, rational thought there...so who was it? Who made god?
Just because it can't be explained, doesn't make it automatically wrong or that god doesn't exist. We can't explain a lot of things even though we see them happening every day.

God was created by man out of fear of the unknown. It's the same place we got ghosts, demons and dragons from : our imagination. It answers a question with another question, one that makes even less sense. Another reason I cannot and will not accept god.
You have a very good point. Greeks and others before them wanted an explanation of uknown things, such as lightning for example... Thus, Zeus and the other gods were created.

As for the god which most people believe in now, well he could have been "made up" the same way I suppose. But couldn't people have guessed it correctly? There is either a god, or there is not. There are no in betweens on this one. So even though, in many people's opinions, there is no evidence that proves his existence, there isn't any that disproves it either.

Were the greeks wrong? The greek gods were around thousands of years before anyone had heard of jesus, longer in fact than christianity has been around now. Why has Zeus been swept under the rug? Where did they all go and who decided the greek gods were all of a sudden "so 5000 bc!!"?
Christianity has only been around since Jesus's alleged existence (I say alleged because this is being debated as we speak). With that fact, it's obvious why the greek gods were around thousands of years before Christianity.

Why were the greek gods swept under the rug? Well many people obviously started to believe in something else. Jesus, or at the very least the notion of him existing, lead people to believe in Christianity and such. Many people feel he is the evidence of why Christianity is correct, and why everything else is wrong. Scientists change their opinions based on new evidence do they not? Whether the evidence is right or not is a different story I know, but it does explain why there are no more greek gods.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by tquill

Why were the greek gods swept under the rug? Well many people obviously started to believe in something else. Jesus, or at the very least the notion of him existing, lead people to believe in Christianity and such. Many people feel he is the evidence of why Christianity is correct, and why everything else is wrong. Scientists change their opinions based on new evidence do they not? Whether the evidence is right or not is a different story I know, but it does explain why there are no more greek gods.

Just like today, people follow the hottest trends. I think I'm going to worship Criss Angel, personally. He's the best. And performs miracles on a daily basis.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
tquill

Tubbs, you made an excellent point when you said that not knowing something and admitting to it is a positive, not a negative. This is yet another point that aggravates me about religion. Every question is answered with "god" and is so ambiguous that it is impossible to penetrate the fog that surrounds the question.
I hate the "because God made it that way" answer also. I too, feel it's just a way to avoid a question.

As for why people and children suffer... Well some believe that God may take a laissez faire approach. The quick way to become dependent on someone is to have them take care of everything for you. Maybe God is smart enough to avoid that.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing something isn't a negative. It's a positive. Thinking you know something, which has an extremely high chance of not being true, is a negative to me. Why are you even in sciences?

There is only ONE thing I know. I can produce thoughts. Everything outside of me is debatable if it's real or not.
When did I say that not knowing something is negative. There are a lot of things not known in this world, you choose to focus on the negative things, I choose to focus on the posititves.

Why am I in Science? As a kid I loved to take things apart, figure out how they work. Now, I enjoy breaking down things on the molecular and figuring out simple binding interactions make a cell function. Also, I want to make a significant contribution to science and mankind one day.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Biochem7
When did I say that not knowing something is negative. There are a lot of things not known in this world, you choose to focus on the negative things, I choose to focus on the posititves.

What are you talking about? How am I focusing on anything negative?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
pearlcoupeg35

I am a Christian. Have been my whole life and continue to get stronger and stronger as i grow older...however, i am not sure i see the purpose of the thread.

Some topics just dont belong on a car forum imho. Religion being #1 on that list.

Im not saying you cant be a Christian and be a member of an online forum (obviously not) but what will this thread amount too? Its almot over before it even starts becasue like ANY thread on a forum, the sole purporse is to gather DIFFERENT opinions on a topic into one area. In this case, different opinions will lead to chatter - arguing - misunderstandings - etc.

While i admire your efforts by starting this thread and putting you and your faith out there, i kinda feel like its not the right place.

Regardless of what i think, do your thing man and keep on keepin on
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM
wild121

I'm anglican nice to see some christians out there.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Biochem7
Regular

What are you talking about? How am I focusing on anything negative?
What are you talking about, when did I say not knowing something is negative?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
wild121

Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
I am a Christian. Have been my whole life and continue to get stronger and stronger as i grow older...however, i am not sure i see the purpose of the thread.

Some topics just dont belong on a car forum imho. Religion being #1 on that list.

Im not saying you cant be a Christian and be a member of an online forum (obviously not) but what will this thread amount too? Its almot over before it even starts becasue like ANY thread on a forum, the sole purporse is to gather DIFFERENT opinions on a topic into one area. In this case, different opinions will lead to chatter - arguing - misunderstandings - etc.

While i admire your efforts by starting this thread and putting you and your faith out there, i kinda feel like its not the right place.

Regardless of what i think, do your thing man and keep on keepin on

I dont think he wanted to gather opinions on Chritianity. It seems to me if he made this thread that he is pretty much a christian and wanted to see if their were any other christians on the forum.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Mazinger Z

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Dude with a screen name of bugsbunny...I think you should tread lightly... you dont show any signs of maturity of knowledge...

LOL
I'm sure "4-Shizzil G-Spot" does... do you even know what that means? Or did you pick it out of an episode of Making the Band on MTV?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Tubbs

What are you talking about, when did I say not knowing something is negative?

"Not at all, You were just focusing on all the negative things in life. I was just pointing out some positives about how miraculous we are.

Why aren't we perfect? I don't know."

So, how again was I focusing on all the negative things in life?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by wild121
I'm anglican nice to see some christians out there.

Ya, because 80 percent of the population isn't enough.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Biochem7
Regular

"Not at all, You were just focusing on all the negative things in life. I was just pointing out some positives about how miraculous we are.

Why aren't we perfect? I don't know."

So, how again was I focusing on all the negative things in life?
Here you go:

Well I know 100 percent everything I did in my life "I" did without divine intervention. I worked my *** off and still do. The day will come when someone younger and better will come along. But that's life.

So as a a student in sciences, you see all the mistakes, and imperfections and believe that things had to be "designed" that way? Why do we have a tailbone? Why internals that give out? Why so many deformations? Why is our spine so fragile? Why is life more painful the older we get? Why do we get diseases? Cancer? Why do our eyes give out with use? or for that matter, our joints?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
wild121

Hey Tubbs,

whats going on, just kinda wanted to get in on this conversation of ideas without arguing.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
wild121

Ya, because 80 percent of the population isn't enough.

I don't think 80% of the population is christian.....Maybe 80% of the people consider themselves Christian but that is in the US and if you truly look at that population and who practices that religion I highly doubt that 80% of people go to church or practice christianity. I would bet that practicing christians are in the minority.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I1DER

I dont think he wanted to gather opinions on Chritianity. It seems to me if he made this thread that he is pretty much a christian and wanted to see if their were any other christians on the forum.
He never stated that. It's all conjecture. There are 11 pages of posts all about religion in a regional forum not set up for this purpose. This should be in a sub-regional forum no more than a discussion of FI in the religious forums.

Sorry, this seems to be a moderator failure. They may have their religious reasons for letting it happen and even banning people to prove their point. I'm stymied.

I'd like to hear some logical answer so we can guess what the rules are in the future. Seems like a reasonable request for a reasonable moderator. It would be the Christian thing to do.

Last edited by I1DER; 08-09-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
wild121

All I can say if Jesus doesn't exist and there is no God it would make for a pretty sad world and thats a world I don't want to live in. Thats why I have faith.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Tubbs

Here you go:

Again... unless you think there's a designer, those aren't negatives. Everything is more positive once you take out the whole "perfect designer" theory.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Tubbs

All I can say if Jesus doesn't exist and there is no God it would make for a pretty sad world and thats a world I don't want to live in. Thats why I have faith.

Not at all. And that's real life. Sorry.

Quick Reply: ****Any Christains on here??!***