Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Run past the police

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Boston350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run past the police

I recently hit the 1200 recommended miles for break-in and was being tail gated by a new Lexus two door convertible ( I can't remember the model number but I think it cost's ~$70K). I was on my way to work on a 4 lane road also known as the **** highway in Boston. I was going about 70 when I noticed this Lexus speeding past cars to catch up to me. When he caught up to me, I decided to drop it into 4th and started to pull 2-3 lengths on the Lexus to see if he was for real. I was surprised that we was not falling back too far behind. Unfortunately for the Lexus, there were four cars ahead of me going only about 50-60 mph. I had to make a decision whether to slow down or to slip in between a gap in between the two cars in front of me. The two cars were about one full size car length apart. I decided to gun it and left the Lexus trapped behind the horizontal row of cars. At this point, I had just shifted to 5th and pulling at about 85 mph and caught a corner glimpse of a cop hidden underneath overpass to my right. I saw him turn on his car and start to back out. Fortunately for me, he was not very well positioned to drive onto the highway. He had parked too closely to a snow plow and had to back out and drive around the snow. I had to make another decision here: pull over or run to the next exit. I decided that if I could make it to the next exit without seeing him in my rear view mirror, I was going to be OK. So, I pulled the car up to about 120 mph for 1/4 mile and drove up this exit ramp like a bad out of hell. I drove through a suburban neighborhood to get to another highway. My legs and stomach were numb from the adrenaline rush. I had a stomach ache all day. I don't know if it was from the G's or the lactic acid build up, probably the acid.

Anyway, a co-worker of mine drove the same route 5 minutes behind me and told me the police pulled over a Lexus. Anyone know the specs for the new Lexus? He's gotta to be pissed. But the cop is probably even more pissed. Needless to say, I drive a different route to work and I need to learn not to get so easily provoked by other cars. Can someone also recommend a radar detector and the set-up? I can't remember seeing a cigarrete lighter in my Z.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:22 AM
typeR

Default Re: Run past the police

Originally posted by Boston350Z
I recently hit the 1200 recommended miles for break-in and was being tail gated by a new Lexus two door convertible ( I can't remember the model number but I think it cost's ~$70K). I was on my way to work on a 4 lane road also known as the **** highway in Boston. I was going about 70 when I noticed this Lexus speeding past cars to catch up to me. When he caught up to me, I decided to drop it into 4th and started to pull 2-3 lengths on the Lexus to see if he was for real. I was surprised that we was not falling back too far behind. Unfortunately for the Lexus, there were four cars ahead of me going only about 50-60 mph. I had to make a decision whether to slow down or to slip in between a gap in between the two cars in front of me. The two cars were about one full size car length apart. I decided to gun it and left the Lexus trapped behind the horizontal row of cars. At this point, I had just shifted to 5th and pulling at about 85 mph and caught a corner glimpse of a cop hidden underneath overpass to my right. I saw him turn on his car and start to back out. Fortunately for me, he was not very well positioned to drive onto the highway. He had parked too closely to a snow plow and had to back out and drive around the snow. I had to make another decision here: pull over or run to the next exit. I decided that if I could make it to the next exit without seeing him in my rear view mirror, I was going to be OK. So, I pulled the car up to about 120 mph for 1/4 mile and drove up this exit ramp like a bad out of hell. I drove through a suburban neighborhood to get to another highway. My legs and stomach were numb from the adrenaline rush. I had a stomach ache all day. I don't know if it was from the G's or the lactic acid build up, probably the acid.

Anyway, a co-worker of mine drove the same route 5 minutes behind me and told me the police pulled over a Lexus. Anyone know the specs for the new Lexus? He's gotta to be pissed. But the cop is probably even more pissed. Needless to say, I drive a different route to work and I need to learn not to get so easily provoked by other cars. Can someone also recommend a radar detector and the set-up? I can't remember seeing a cigarrete lighter in my Z.
V1 is the only detector worth buying...
Old 03-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Boston350Z

thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Now it's time to check whether I want to spend that kind of money. The unit looks pretty big in the magazines. Do you put yours on the windshield?
Old 03-16-2003, 01:09 PM
julian

the lexus was probably the sc430. it's a nice engine, same one as in the LS430. 4.3L V8, 300 horse, 325 torque. the car's 3800 lb curb though

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/...fications.html
Old 03-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Mrsideways

You should also be warned that law enforcement has been known to read these forums. A couple years ago I heard of someone getting busted after bragging about hitting tripple digit speeds in texas. Wish I could tell you details but I just don't remember. They had some kind of proof on him and used his post as a guilty confession.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Inova

cops really read these forums? they must have a shitload of time on their hands if they do.... should be out on the streets if we're paying those pigs!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Mrsideways

They work 40 hour weeks like the rest of us and some probably even own 350z's. But lets say Cop X knows that a Y colored 350z ran from him on the interstate that day. With a title like this one it would only take him a matter of moments to find you and your story on the site. They don't like people bragging about getting away So i'm certain they would proceed to find out who you are.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:55 AM
jester

I am not trying to be a pain here...BUT....

1. Yes, cops read these board....not trying to bust people...but some of them are car people too. "Hillie" over on Stangnet is a cop...great guy.

2. I have been on car forms for 5+ years...and have NEVER heard of anyone getting busted (ticketed or arrested) due to a "claim" they were speeding on the boards....shoot, half the stuff on these car forms is BS anyways...

3. The only thing you could really get snagged for, is if you set up a street race and announce it on the internet some where....then if the local police see it on the board...and they have absolutely nothing better in life to do...they may decide to meet up you also.

the chances of you getting busted for something like your post on the internet...is uh...slim and none.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 AM
MaximumPwr

That Lexus has a 4.3L V8 in it at 300hp and 325 lbs-ft torque at only 3800 curb weight lbs and it only does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds? That is kind of sad. Some weight or something needs to be taken off the car. That little car should be a little rocket. Oh I am not trying to get on your case, but Boston350z what are you thinking sqeezing between two cars like that in there lanes. People get killed like that. If you would of just barely touched one of them at that speed you would of slid out of control probably flipping a few times at 85 mph and that car you hit might of done that same. You probably deserved to get pulled over after doing that move. Bad choice. If your going to street race, at least try using your brain.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Mrsideways

The particular case I heard of was someone doing well in excess of 150 mph with what seemed to be half the county after him. Seems they'd put a little more effort towards that.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:33 AM
navy-z

I really glad to see good defensive driving techniques being used on our freeways.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:27 AM
jester

Originally posted by Mrsideways
The particular case I heard of was someone doing well in excess of 150 mph with what seemed to be half the county after him. Seems they'd put a little more effort towards that.
not saying you were making it up....just I have never heard of anything like that....
and with as much BS that goes on in the car boards...don't know how much of it I believe...

No flame intended.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Mrsideways

No problem. Hell If I were a cop going for a promotion I'd be cruising the street racing boards all day long.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:09 AM
iris

Default Re: Run past the police

Originally posted by Boston350Z
I decided that if I could make it to the next exit without seeing him in my rear view mirror, I was going to be OK. So, I pulled the car up to about 120 mph for 1/4 mile and drove up this exit ramp like a bad out of hell.
Can someone also recommend a radar detector and the set-up? I can't remember seeing a cigarrete lighter in my Z.
Heh, I like your story. I have a V-1, but be warned, it doesn't save you every time - I was cruising on the freeway at 90 mph one Sat morning and came up fast around a curve on a cop parked on the side helping out a motorist. No beeps from the V-1. I braked but only got down to 75 or 80 but was still flying by everyone else and I know the Z is notoriously conspicuous anyway, so I just got off the freeway and went surface streets to my destination.

Also, LOL, the cigarette letter is in the center panel BEHIND you, behind the drink holder stuff. And the V-1 should probably go on the windshield to have a view out the back, unless you get a remote display, but that's more $$. My V-1 is still wired there b/c I'm lazy, but I really should get it hardwired into the mirror soon.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I doubt it

Originally posted by Mrsideways
You should also be warned that law enforcement has been known to read these forums. A couple years ago I heard of someone getting busted after bragging about hitting tripple digit speeds in texas. Wish I could tell you details but I just don't remember. They had some kind of proof on him and used his post as a guilty confession.

I doubt that would hold up in court. Unless he catches you or gets a plate number how can he know he got the right person?

As far as evidence go a post on an internet forum is about on the same level as the tooth fairy told me.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Mrsideways

Thats very true, But I wouldn't go telling anyone that I robbed a bank either.

Disclaimer, DID NOT ROB BANK, used strickly as an example.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:50 PM
navy-z

Default Is it worth it?

Try this: Don a set of turnouts, respond to an MVA, power up the Jaws-of-Life to try to get someone out of a mangled piece of metal (that used to be a 3000 lb projectile moving at 132ft/sec) within the few remaining minutes of their life.

Been there, done that.

Take it to the track if you need to find out "who's the biggest ****"