Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Any thoughts on the Edelbrock dry kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Donkeypuncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on the Edelbrock dry kit?

I came across a few articles about the new edelbrock kit for the 350z

http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...edelbrock350z/

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...edelbrock350z/

Im really looking into installing nitrous but I have a few concerns about wet kits. I didnt really want to bother with tapping the fuel line or using adapters. And thats a lot of stuff to remove if I go to the dealer for maintenance.
Im just curious if this kit is as safe as a wet kit. And can our injectors flow that much for fuel? Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
spdu4ia

wouldn't do it... save yourself the drama later and go with a wet kit.. all the trouble you go through at the begining will save you later.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It is really not a dry kit. It comes with an electronic module that interfaces with the Z's ecu and somehow causes it to increase gas flow under wide open throttle (along with Nitrous gas of course).

I bought the kit, but haven't installed it yet. I posted pages from the installation manual in one of my other posts.

Large pdf file: http://jcn30127.home.comcast.net/Edelbrock_1.pdf
Old 04-08-2005, 11:46 PM
hypeiv

i think this kit is mainly for the 03's... not sure if the ecu stuff works on other year Z's
Old 04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Donkeypuncher

Originally Posted by jcn30127
It is really not a dry kit. It comes with an electronic module that interfaces with the Z's ecu and somehow causes it to increase gas flow under wide open throttle (along with Nitrous gas of course).

I bought the kit, but haven't installed it yet. I posted pages from the installation manual in one of my other post[/url]

Cool, let me know how it works out for you. Hopefully you dont have any major problems with the kit.

By the way how much did you spend on the kit? I found one site that had it for $500 something, but I wasnt sure if it was the real 350 kit.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:51 PM
mrtomcat

if you go dry that's the kit, but I would not go dry period
Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Donkeypuncher

I agree, a dry kit is not a good idea which is why I was looking into wet kits. But since this kit does add more fuel with the nitrous I think it is just as safe as a wet kit.

This kit put down some impressive numbers, but I would like to see the A/F ratio before I buy it. Im just not quite convinced that our stock injectors can add that much more fuel, but bigger injectors is always an option.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Mean Gene

Red face It IS a Dry Kit!

Guys - Besides the statements in both articles describing the as a "dry" one, Edelbrock's kit IS a dry kit as it relies on their "fuel enrichment module" to give the stock fuel injectors a "false" signal indicating WOT & therefore causing them to increase the fuel flow being injected. A "wet" kit has a nozzle with 2 inputs ( one for fuel & the other for nitrous ). This is where the term "wet" originates as the nitrous is already mixed with the gasoline ( or diesel ) when it enters the manifold/plenum. A "dry" kit injects only nitrous into the manifold & whenever the nitrous is routed into the individual intake runners, that's where it comes into contact with the additional fuel provided by the factory injectors/fuel enrichment electronics.
Each type has its' own advantages & disadvantages but the based on the results I've seen both here & on g35Driver.com, "wet" seems to be the way to go on the Z/G cars. Just start with a conservative shot, read your plugs & listen for preignition, then move up in jetting if u so desire. Good luck!

From the Super Street article:These are amazing numbers, considering that this nitrous kit, which uses the dry setup, is fairly new to Edelbrock's already strong nitrous lineup.

From the Turbo article: Developing a dry nitrous system, this complete kit is offered with two stages of jets (60 hp and 90 hp) .....

Last edited by Mean Gene; 04-11-2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Fact Correction
Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm no expert on nos but I do recall that with a wet kit you risk gasoline pooling in the intake or air filter area, with a (possible) subsequent explosion.

Explosion with WET KIT
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Mean Gene

Exclamation Absolutely!!

JCN - Yes, you certainly CAN blow up your intake in the manner that U hyperlinked us to - good post! Inversely, U can also lean out your motor by calling for the injectors to put out more fuel than they physically can ( assuming they've already hit 100% duty cycle ) while injecting additional nitrous. Both systems can suffer from sticking or failed solenoids ( as almost certainly was the case for Cyber ). Certainly, additional maintenance is required by changing the nitrous & fuel filters more frequently as well as the oil/filter & possibly the plugs.
IMHO, there's NO 100% safe nitrous system that I'm aware of but I'd wager that the majority of the name brand ones have spent many hundreds of thousands of $$ in R&D making sure their setups R as close to reliable as possible ( after all, they want happy customers as those customers will come back in the future or spread the word ( good or bad ) about their experiences with a certain manufacturers' product ).
All we can do is research the products before we buy & ask around ( just as U've done ). The final decision is solely yours to make.
FWIW - I've never personally used a "dry" system but have had nothing but good results from 'wet" ones on both imports & domestics. For me, I'm gonna "dance with who brung me!!"

Last edited by Mean Gene; 04-11-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
mrtomcat

I posted this before but most likely what happened (in most cases at least) Nitrous backfire is caused by the system still thinking you're at wot when you are indeed not.
Causes for that are improperly set up WOT switches for example not using a TPS switch but using a WOT switch under the gas pedal. You can have that pressed all the way down but the throttle is actually closed since it is Drive by Wire.
You should never use a mechanical WOT switch on a Drive by wire system. Always use TPS
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 AM
TheBigShow

does the nx 20923 kit come with a tps?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:14 PM
mrtomcat

no it comes with the old fashioned WOT switch which is not recommandable.
The TPS switch is about $80 ( I have one for sale at $40....actually I have the entire kit plus a brand new maximizer (never used) for sale in case you're interested