Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

No one uses Megasquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCG35
Original posts can be read on email notifications… I read the post I’m responding to before longing on to this site.

So chances are when he checked email, he read your “first” post the way it was originally written (even though that may have been 45 minutes later)… and logged on to post a reply – but of course you edited your post and are not denying it, so even though I really don’t give a ****, it sure seems that he is correct and you are hiding it – “nice try though”
I dont't change my posts/statements, I only edit if I see a grammar or spelling error. But really who gives a **** about it, if it takes him an hour to reply to a post that is not my problem.

Why does everything here have to be so difficult here, people are really running out of things to do.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
OCG35
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I dont't change my posts/statements, I only edit if I see a grammar or spelling error. But really who gives a **** about it, if it takes him an hour to reply to a post that is not my problem.

Why does everything here have to be so difficult here, people are really running out of things to do.
I simply stated that you edited you post when you said you didn’t... it was nothing more... initially I didn’t imply anything at all... that would have been the end of it as far as I’m concerned, but you felt compelled to perpetuate it… now that you got your panties in a bundle it does seem like you got caught and are now trying to claw your way out of it...

You're the one making it an issue and being difficult. I suggest just dropping it.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess the question has been answered. No one uses it, may as well let the thread die.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by UpRev
False statements? Please explain since you seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject what a Flash cannot do?
What a flash cant do in general? like compared to other proper stand alones?

how about user definable pulse width modulation outputs for idle air motors, boost solenoids. How about map sensor conversions for those that prefer tuning load based systems with VE tuning or speed density? What about user definable low/high side drivers for various options like water meth? What about separate fuel and ignition tables for those that run nitrous. Staged injection?

there are countless things a flash ant do, I'm not puting it down though, if the user tunable flash was available a wile back I probably would have went with it. Seem like a good product you have there uprev, it just isnt a "standalone" know what I mean?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Anyone ever try MegaLogViewer?

It reads .csv files... very flexible... saves multiple configurations...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no point TrackPack, you and I may know the advantages but it's hard/imposible to get the point across.

OCG35: , you da man.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
cmoose11

OBDI or older cars yes.
c900's never made it to obII.

all the saab's that are obII use NIRA.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by TrackPack
What a flash cant do in general? like compared to other proper stand alones?

how about user definable pulse width modulation outputs for idle air motors, boost solenoids. How about map sensor conversions for those that prefer tuning load based systems with VE tuning or speed density? What about user definable low/high side drivers for various options like water meth? What about separate fuel and ignition tables for those that run nitrous. Staged injection?

there are countless things a flash ant do, I'm not puting it down though, if the user tunable flash was available a wile back I probably would have went with it. Seem like a good product you have there uprev, it just isnt a "standalone" know what I mean?
No point in supporting MAP. MAF is far more accurate, and stable.

I know there are things we do not do, and there are things we will refuse to do because they are wrong. But my question was to him as he wouldn't have the faintest clue as to what any of the solutions actually can offer.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was an article about this in project car or dsport or something. it was a good read, and defintely very diy
Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Son of Mad Dog

I would like to state that most of the home EMS makers could purchase the latest technology for ECU's from the Suppliers of the manufacturers for pennies on making their own. My company uses the same controllers that Bosch makes for car manufacturers to make controllers for ag/construction equipment. They produce our entire run of controllers in about 6 hours. For the year. The programs to program the ecu arent that expensive either. So having the excuse that its too expensive to develope up to date ECU's is non valid.

(we make most of the controllers for Cat, Deere, Komatsu, Kubota, bobcat, and a myriad of others you havent heard of.)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
gurov

Not full standalone EMS. You're not talking about a MegaSquirt in a Nissan vehicle newer than 2003. Not completely customizable, it has very defined limits.

Prove me wrong, show me a Nissan 2003 or newer running on a $300 MegaSquirt that doesn't have some issue. Even the Sentra guys hate it on their QR25 motors, but it's all they have besides the SAFC stuff. They use it because they have no choice, then know it sucks and it's not safe, which is why they keep grenading motors.

$400 will get your stock ECU a full flash thats far safer than the MegaSquirt running as a piggyback because it can't run as a full standalone, unless you want to give up your gauges, ABS, etc etc.

If you want to go FI on your Nissan, then $400 + dyno tuning will get you everything you need to run up to the limit of the MAF. Add $224 to get the upgraded MAF and you're safe to the limit of the motor/fuel system up to 1000-ish HP. $900 gets you a full tuner system if you want to tune it yourself for whatever reason.

No wiring needed. No hoping the stock ECU doesn't adjust itself and screw up the tune you spent time dialing in on your MegaSquirt.

The only thing that was remotely neat about the MegaSquirt was the autotune function. You could give it a go and as long as your car wasn't that crazy/bleeding edge then it would do some basic adjustments. It's not a very fast processor (MSII is like 1/4 the speed of an 03 350Z ECU) but it worked decent enough. Only thing it did was keep you from having to build and keep base maps to get the car started and running before you tuned it. Neat, but not a good place to start your full dyno tune from. Most tuners still started with known values and built their tune from there.

And the comparison to Bias Plys is very valid. EMS doesn't mean it has capabilities. The newer generation EMS stuff that is coming out has technology from OEM ECU's of 5-10 years ago. An EMS company doesn't have the money to develop bleeding edge designs. OEMs build million plus units in an ECU run, the money they spend developing a single ECU generation at Nissan is multiples of the combined money spent by all aftermarket ECU manufacturers to date. There have been 7 generations on Nissan ECU since the 2003 model year. The way a current OEM ECU calculates and adjusts is far more complicated than a simple EMS like the MegaSquirt. There is a huge difference in technology and ability, as there is between BiasPly and Radial tires.
first of all, bumping from the depths of time, so what, i has new infoz for those that are actually interested.

you just had to do it, didn't you, bringing sentras into this and megasquirt, shoulda known better and did a bit more research on what megasquirt actually does, the amount of misinformation is astonishing.

i've been running ms in my sentra for years. i daily drive the thing with 800cc/min injectors (modified stock 310cc are 800 cc/min with nice spray pattern, it starts in the freeze, has a proper idle valve.

sure, few years back, ms2 was out, and it couldn't quite do all the fancy things your thing does, but back in 09, uprev didn't quite support the sentras, so this is still valid.

people are stupid and handsless idiots that can't pick up a soldering iron/wrench/multimeter/oscilloscope/brain and do something for themselves, i'm generalizing here, but for the most part it's true. That is the reason why megasquirt is not all that popular on newer cars.

things are a bit different now, in 2011, there's now MS3 and MS3x expansion, giving you ability to run sequential 8 cylinders of fuel (high z) and spark (logic level spark, build your own igniter or get oem something). qr25 just works now that the decoder has been written, i've been driving the car on that code for half a year.

if the connectors were available in quantities less than eleventy billion, one could make a plug and play unit, or spend the cash and get autosport wiring harness.

quad cam VVT support is also in the latest alpha, with a vq35de trigger wheel decoder supporting full sequential fuel/spark coming soon(as soon as i get someone to test the decoder). for a little bit extra, one can also have up to 8 LC1's hooked up to the telemetry chain via LC1 serial, not wasting a single ADC port on that, 8x EGT probes WITH ACTIONS based on egt, tripple axis accelerometer and about 20 spare inputs from a box that costs $250 and hooks up via CAN network to the MS3. maf is also supported and i've profiled the stock 350z maf, so you could tune your fueling using that, if you're so inclined.

oh, it has SD card logging now too by default. plug card in, say what you want to log, and go.

megasquirt is not your simple two channel fuel controller any longer.

also, i take offense at your ignorance in tuning:

No wiring needed. No hoping the stock ECU doesn't adjust itself and screw up the tune you spent time dialing in on your MegaSquirt.
if you have a megasquirt controlling fuel and spark, stock ecu can't do anything as it has no control.

speed of the processor also doesn't have very much to do with how accurate the calculations are. the model and algorithms take care of that.

/rant.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ No need for the rant. For Zs and Gs, another solution that is subpar (or on par) to what exists already for this market has little added value. At nearly $700 with the expansion pack you refer to for the MSIII, and with hard wiring required, it just has no place...

It sounds like you are a big fan of MSIII and I'm sure it's a fine piece of work. On these cars though, dbw modifications require some kind of reflash anyway (for rev limiter, speed limiter, throttle adjustment etc). So even with a MSIII, you'd be looking at a reflash also. I run a Haltech AND Osiris. Just the way it is.

/thread

Last edited by rcdash; 02-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like hes the creator.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:24 AM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping an almost 2 year thread for what? I really don't think anyone is worried about megasquirt with all the other tuning solutions we have out there.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ I think to advertise his MS III? I pity the poor fool that goes that route with his Z or G.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AND the answer is still:

nobody uses megasquirt

/thread
Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you COULDN'T use a MegaSquirt. But why WOULD you?

There are better options, with more control already on the market. The MegaSquirt was a fair enough option on OBDI cars but with the technology in todays stock ECU there isn't a reason to worry about it.

By the same logic, why isn't anyone running Bias Ply tires on their cars anymore? Better options with more control.

This. Megasquirt is really cool, used one to tune a turbo 280z not too long ago. Now that MS3 is out you can run sequential injection and coil on plug ignition for up to 8 cylinders. Still this would present all kinds of problems in OBDII (especially CAN) vehicles where various control units share info between one another to function properly. Passing emissions for 96+ cars would be completely out the window.

If you are good with soldering small components you can still build an MS3 yourself for less than $400, which is what I plan to do with my s14 when I can find one at a decent price that isn't haggard.