Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel

Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
Some useful info.

Clamp load and pedal pressure are not as "Linked" as you may think.
What matters is the bearing load of the pressure plate, This is what correlates how much force it takes to press the TOB bearing and release the clutch. You can have 2,000lbs of clamp load on one pressure plate and 2500lbs on another pressure plate yet have the same bearing load.
It is all in how the pressure plate is designed and/or modified and also the style of the pressure plate. Southbend has been building clutches for 40+ years and know many tricks on keeping bearing load low (easy pedal effort) yet still maintain a higher plate load to the clutch disk.

It is not a good idea to use the older 03-06 clutches in stock form in the 07-08. There is a height difference in the clutch set-up and if not rectified somehow can cause the CSC to overextend and is probably what is causing them to die early on the HR cars with the older style clutch cover in them, Understanding that the 07 HR was recalled and the CSC will go bad if not replaced under the recall regardless.

Southbend DXD clutch has addressed the clutch height difference in their kits so this is not an issue.

Southbend also has a light bearing load in there clutch kits so putting too much pressure on the CSC is a thing of the past.

The Stock HR "self adjusting" pressure plate is not a good design. It has been used in the past on other cars. It cannot be modified well either.
Basically this pressure plate adjusts as the clutch wares keeping the clamp load the same throughout the clutches life. Unfortunately it usually breaks before the clutch is worn out. The earlier 03-06 pressure plate is a very good design, Can hold massive power when modified and is very durable.

On Southbends stage 1-3 kits we use a light bearing load on the clutch kits and get the TQ holding ability from using higher grade, more expensive clutch linings like Kevlar and Feramic. Feramic clutch material will hold twice the TQ as a stock organic lining and ware 5 times longer yet still drive smooth on the street. Good stuff!

I think what everyone needs to realize is that the majority of the problematic CSC's have been 07's that had a recall and were never repaired or people that changed their clutch and just left the old CSC in there. These should be replaced whenever you change your HR clutch.
Maybe true but I wouldn't count on that (every time the CSC fail it will be taking the exhaust and tranny out and thats alot of $$$ ) and beside ATS tried every way there and couldn't get it to work unless changing the CSC with the 03-06 release mechanism.my 2..
Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM
ODEHBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the Spec Clutch Stage 1 Clutch and Flywheel, but when Nissan put it their new transmission it happened to be defected, So hopefully I will let you guys kno how it feels when the new tranny comes in.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some useful info.

Clamp load and pedal pressure are not as "Linked" as you may think.
What matters is the bearing load of the pressure plate, This is what correlates how much force it takes to press the TOB bearing and release the clutch. You can have 2,000lbs of clamp load on one pressure plate and 2500lbs on another pressure plate yet have the same bearing load.
It is all in how the pressure plate is designed and/or modified and also the style of the pressure plate. Southbend has been building clutches for 40+ years and know many tricks on keeping bearing load low (easy pedal effort) yet still maintain a higher plate load to the clutch disk.

It is not a good idea to use the older 03-06 clutches in stock form in the 07-08. There is a height difference in the clutch set-up and if not rectified somehow can cause the CSC to overextend and is probably what is causing them to die early on the HR cars with the older style clutch cover in them, Understanding that the 07 HR was recalled and the CSC will go bad if not replaced under the recall regardless.

Southbend DXD clutch has addressed the clutch height difference in their kits so this is not an issue.

Southbend also has a light bearing load in there clutch kits so putting too much pressure on the CSC is a thing of the past.

The Stock HR "self adjusting" pressure plate is not a good design. It has been used in the past on other cars. It cannot be modified well either.
Basically this pressure plate adjusts as the clutch wares keeping the clamp load the same throughout the clutches life. Unfortunately it usually breaks before the clutch is worn out. The earlier 03-06 pressure plate is a very good design, Can hold massive power when modified and is very durable.

On Southbends stage 1-3 kits we use a light bearing load on the clutch kits and get the TQ holding ability from using higher grade, more expensive clutch linings like Kevlar and Feramic. Feramic clutch material will hold twice the TQ as a stock organic lining and ware 5 times longer yet still drive smooth on the street. Good stuff!

I think what everyone needs to realize is that the majority of the problematic CSC's have been 07's that had a recall and were never repaired or people that changed their clutch and just left the old CSC in there. These should be replaced whenever you change your HR clutch.
Questions:

So to clarify, adding additional pressure to the CSC and over extending the CSC (due to the earlier 03-06 pressure plate) are both possible reasons for why the CSC tends to fail?

Does Southbend have a flywheel to match? If not, could you recommend one, other than stock?

When will these HR clutches be avaliable for purchase?

Thanks for the info
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
blackblack99

Default still confused

Are you saying that the stock clutch cover on the hr is what makes the CSC fail. Are you saying that Nissan was using 06 clutch covers on the 07 hr motors. This is so frustrating. I am beginning to think that there is no solution in sight for the HR, other than converting it to the older style de set up, if that is the case I am going to sell this thing. I can't understand why any after market companies have not invented a better set up, for gods sake there is got to be over a hundred thousand hr motors in north America alone, they would make a fortune.

What are all these people using that have TT hr's.

I had my entire hydraulic system replaced on my 07 hr, they just replaced the slave at first, it failed right away, and then I made them replace everything from master to slave and all the lines in between, it holds up o.k now, but if I rip it a little I can just feel the clutch getting softer, it sux cause it really dings your confidence in the car, its just not consistent. Not to mention the ridiculously high engagement, the pedal has all this travel, yet the throw is so short.

I still love the car and when the CSC is not failing, it's awesome.

I just wish there was a clear solution that has been tested, I feel like we are all these companies ginny pigs, they just want us to buy and try.
One of these companies needs to just step up and re-design this set up.

If the clutch re-design requires expensive exotic materials for the lining, so be it, some one just make it already.

Come on Z1

I want to spend some cash on a TT setup and diff, but how can I when I am not even sure I can get a reliable clutch that would hold up.

Last edited by blackblack99; 11-16-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: flubbed it
Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Peak350

If you're so antsy buy an ATS twin/triple disc. It converts the slave and will hold plenty of power.

If not then just get a proper pressure plate for the HR. I had a DE plate on my car and lost a slave...I put the stock clutch in (new one) and ended up with a used stock clutch, the difference in the pressure plate dimensions and locations is pretty obvious, the DE one should never have been recommended by JWT.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Questions:

So to clarify, adding additional pressure to the CSC and over extending the CSC (due to the earlier 03-06 pressure plate) are both possible reasons for why the CSC tends to fail?

Cannot say 100% why they fail other than either
Recall as not done yet (I think this is #1)
*The other clutch companies are using the old 03-06 pressure plate without addressing the height difference which is rather large. SBC has adressed this in their kits.
You cannot buy the new HR pressure plates from exedy to modify and that pressure plate is no where near as good as the 03-06 plates. SBC is using the 03-06 plate also but have addressed the diferences so it works properly in the HR.
Another reason is the fact that when changing the clutch they are not changing the CSC AND PIPE ASSY as recommended by the FSM. Anytime the trans is removed and dirt on the slave shaft sealing service will get in the seals possibly damaging them. These parts must be changed out whenever the trans is removed.

Does Southbend have a flywheel to match? If not, could you recommend one, other than stock?

Yes, They should be done soon.

When will these HR clutches be avaliable for purchase?

As soon as I give a free one away to try out. We do not have a HR car to put it in yet. We know it will work but we want to test our products in a real enviroment instead of just throwing it out there for people to test and find out later there may be something that needs changed (refer to * above)

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 11-21-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

blackblack99
Are you saying that the stock clutch cover on the hr is what makes the CSC fail. Are you saying that Nissan was using 06 clutch covers on the 07 hr motors.

No, From what I have seen the aftermarket clutches currently out for the HR are using the older 03-06 pressure plate without addressing the height issue.

This is so frustrating. I am beginning to think that there is no solution in sight for the HR, other than converting it to the older style de set up, if that is the case I am going to sell this thing. I can't understand why any after market companies have not invented a better set up, for gods sake there is got to be over a hundred thousand hr motors in north America alone, they would make a fortune.

I am working on it

What are all these people using that have TT hr's.

I had my entire hydraulic system replaced on my 07 hr, they just replaced the slave at first, it failed right away, and then I made them replace everything from master to slave and all the lines in between, it holds up o.k now, but if I rip it a little I can just feel the clutch getting softer, it sux cause it really dings your confidence in the car, its just not consistent. Not to mention the ridiculously high engagement, the pedal has all this travel, yet the throw is so short.

I still love the car and when the CSC is not failing, it's awesome.

I just wish there was a clear solution that has been tested, I feel like we are all these companies ginny pigs, they just want us to buy and try.
One of these companies needs to just step up and re-design this set up.

If the clutch re-design requires expensive exotic materials for the lining, so be it, some one just make it already.

Southbend has those materials Their "Feramic" lining will hold twice the TQ as stock linings at the same clamp load.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Ataru074

bump for updates.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ataru074
bump for updates.
Well here is what I know for now.

The JWT kit that was inspected that came out of "DTracing"s car which has been thru mulitple slave cylinders since installed had a very high bearing load.
Bearing load is what the TOB has to push to release the clutch pressure plate. With a high bearing load the slave is put thru much more work than with a light bearing load. It has to work harder.

Southbends clutch set-up for the HR has much less bearing load than the JWT kit.

The pressure plate finger height was also further away from the TOB VS. the stock set-up.

Southbend has addressed this issue also.

The JWT clutch disk itself was a stock disk with stock linings, Only difference being the disk had some added rivets in the blank holes which all OE disks have.

I set "Dtracing" up in the DXD HR ceramic 6 puck kit to try it out for us. I have not heard back from him yet but will update as soon as I hear something.

I am currently having the Stock CSC from his car, which was leaking, inspected by a fluid/hydraulic engineer to see what PSI load they can handle before they leak and also to see if I can have it redesigned for more load carrying capabilities .
Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
musubi

I am currently having the Stock CSC from his car, which was leaking, inspected by a fluid/hydraulic engineer to see what PSI load they can handle before they leak and also to see if I can have it redesigned for more load carrying capabilities .
Nice to hear someone's looking into redesigning the CSC. Please keep us posted!

You cannot buy the new HR pressure plates from exedy to modify and that pressure plate is no where near as good as the 03-06 plates.
Looking back at this statement, are you saying that the Exedy clutch kits for the 07-08 Z's are not made to the quality of the 03-06 clutches? Are you aware if Exedy accounts for the differences in the HR vs. DE clutches/pressure plates? Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by musubi
Nice to hear someone's looking into redesigning the CSC. Please keep us posted!

Looking back at this statement, are you saying that the Exedy clutch kits for the 07-08 Z's are not made to the quality of the 03-06 clutches? Are you aware if Exedy accounts for the differences in the HR vs. DE clutches/pressure plates? Thanks
Not a quality issue really, The 03-06 pressure plate is just a better design, Works better and upgrades better VS the 07-

The 07- Self adjusting pressure plate keeps the same bearing/clamp load throughout the clutch disks life. The early style will gain clamp/bearing load as the disk wears.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 08-18-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Ataru074

when I called exedy of course they say so...
the pressure plate isn't a self adjusting like the '07+ pressure plate and the bearing load (according to what they say/publish) is the lowest of all aftermarket pressure plates.

the only question is: it will cause the CSC to overextend? I don't know...

there is a guy here that installed an exedy stage 2 and pretty much never posted again... ( I guess he got the one from "solo")
GTM suggest the exedy stage 1 as upgrade on the N/A and I guess uses it on some TT HR engine.

so, at the end it doesn't exist anybody here with a TESTED product to resolve that issue.
southbend is working on it... but still nothing.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ataru074
when I called exedy of course they say so...
the pressure plate isn't a self adjusting like the '07+ pressure plate and the bearing load (according to what they say/publish) is the lowest of all aftermarket pressure plates.

the only question is: it will cause the CSC to overextend? I don't know...

there is a guy here that installed an exedy stage 2 and pretty much never posted again... ( I guess he got the one from "solo")
GTM suggest the exedy stage 1 as upgrade on the N/A and I guess uses it on some TT HR engine.

so, at the end it doesn't exist anybody here with a TESTED product to resolve that issue.
southbend is working on it... but still nothing.
The old kit (03-06) in a HR car will cause the CSC to overextend more than it would if it were used with the stock HR clutch set-up, The pressure plate fingers are simply further away from the CSC bearing on a 03-06 kit than they are in 07+ kit.
We have already fixed this issue with the DXD kits.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
musubi

Thanks for your replies Ataru074 and CuztompartZ.

Exedy also informed me of the following:
"Most companies use modified OEM versions. We manufacture every unit from scratch and take all aspects of the clutch into consideration for proper function and feel."

Of course, that's coming from Exedy and not someone inspecting Exedy product and applications. But, sounds promising.

I'll be waiting to hear how the clutches from CuztompartZ is coming along. Also, keep us posted on the results with dtracing.

Ataru074, I think it was kennylin888 with the Exedy Stage 2. He said the clutch pedal feels similar to stock. Exedy stated the only difference between Stage 1 and 2 is the disc, which is what I expected to hear.

CuztompartZ, will you be fabricating a flywheel as well? When I change the clutch out, I wouldn't mind going to a solid flywheel. Or would anyone know universal flywheels to use on aftermarket clutches? It seems the JWT flywheel is being used for various types of clutches, including stock.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Ataru074

CuztompartZ, will you be fabricating a flywheel as well? When I change the clutch out, I wouldn't mind going to a solid flywheel. Or would anyone know universal flywheels to use on aftermarket clutches? It seems the JWT flywheel is being used for various types of clutches, including stock.
the JWT/fidanza/stillen ( I guess they are all the same fabricated in the same factory and just branded differently)... should be "universal".. but isn't solid.
the exedy NF5 same way because goes both on the stage 1 and stage 2... and they advertise the stage 1 also as clutch only replacement.

most of the flywheel (unless there is a big mistake in the reverse engineering) are going to be "universal" for single clutch applications... just because is easier to copy plain and simple the bolt patterns, heights, and starter ring, and try to replicate the same process on the clutch cover.

true racing clutch/flywheel COMBO are going to be specific because in those cases the company start designing using their "off the shelf" components... like friction plates, discs and covers... and use the flywheel to match the right height of the assembly and diameter/location of the starter ring. (just beacause in this way cost less for them)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks for your replies Ataru074 and CuztompartZ.

Exedy also informed me of the following:
"Most companies use modified OEM versions. We manufacture every unit from scratch and take all aspects of the clutch into consideration for proper function and feel."

Of course, that's coming from Exedy and not someone inspecting Exedy product and applications. But, sounds promising.

I'll be waiting to hear how the clutches from CuztompartZ is coming along. Also, keep us posted on the results with dtracing.

Ataru074, I think it was kennylin888 with the Exedy Stage 2. He said the clutch pedal feels similar to stock. Exedy stated the only difference between Stage 1 and 2 is the disc, which is what I expected to hear.

Yes the HR flywheel is just about done, Just waiting on the toner rings to ge done. 24ish lbs, Solid billet steel, No trans chatter
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM
musubi

Yes the HR flywheel is just about done, Just waiting on the toner rings to ge done. 24ish lbs, Solid billet steel, No trans chatter
Dayum, that's nice to hear. That weight seems good.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
350z 6spd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us hear back from the hydraulics engineer before my next slave goes out! lol
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
UnitedBreaks

Sounding good. I am in!

BTW:
Thanks for your hard work and dedication towards fixing this problem that Nissan fails to fix.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
kennedy

CustomZpartz Just pm'd you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HR - Aftermarket Clutch & Flywheel