Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Need Some Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Romeo510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice...

I have a 2005 Enthusiast 350z and I want to get new rims and tires on it, but I'm not sure what to get.? I have 19's in the back with 245 and 18's in the front with 225. Bought the car like that but I think its now time to change the rims and tires for summer time. What kind of rims are the best ones to get? I was thinking about some gunmetal mesh with a chrome/polished lip, deep dish. I want something light weight for rims like the ones I have right now.Also I don't know if I should change the tire size to thicker tires in the front and back? Give me Advice previous Z owners. I only had my 350z for about barley 7 months now.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. Find a members set-up that you like. Duplicate it.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 AM
dyss

hmmm first post...

get volks
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

So your interested in thicker or wider tires?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Romeo510

I'm actually interested in Wider tires, but one of my friends told me that the more wider I go, my speedometer will get jacked up. Speedometer saying I'm going like 40mph when I'm really going only 30-35mph. Is that true?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Romeo510

Haha, I was looking at volks in the beginning. Whats better Volks or Enkei's?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

both are great wheels but Volk seems to be known as better.

If you properly select tires your speedo will not be off. Our typical tires are 26.7 inches tall and 245mm wide . Well if you get one that is 275mm wide with the same height , the speedo stays the same .
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Romeo510
I'm actually interested in Wider tires, but one of my friends told me that the more wider I go, my speedometer will get jacked up. Speedometer saying I'm going like 40mph when I'm really going only 30-35mph. Is that true?
Rear tire height effects speedometer reading, but you have more important choices. Read. Learn. If you can imagine it someone has done it before.

References:
http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/Wheels_and_Tire.php
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Romeo510

Alright, Thanks for the Advice helps a lot... What kind of tires do you have??? I was thinking about getting Goodyear. My tires I have right now are High Summer Performance, couple months ago my Z hydroplaned in the rain but luckly I didn't hit anything. I was going to change the tires to all season ones but I mine as well save a little more and get rims and tires at the same time. Whats the best tires for our Rwd Z that are stable to drive in the rain?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Romeo510

Thanks for the speedometer readings. Helps me a lot...
Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
davidv

Alright, Thanks for the Advice helps a lot... What kind of tires do you have??? I was thinking about getting Goodyear. My tires I have right now are High Summer Performance, couple months ago my Z hydroplaned in the rain but luckly I didn't hit anything. I was going to change the tires to all season ones but I mine as well save a little more and get rims and tires at the same time. Whats the best tires for our Rwd Z that are stable to drive in the rain?
Before buying tires check these test results: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=tires
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Here are a couple of summer performance tires that have great grip in the rain on wet roadways:
  • Michelin PS2
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
…And, here are a couple of ultra high performance all-season tires that stick well on wet roadways:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
  • Goodyear Eagle GT

Additional Points (summer performance tires vs. all-season tires):
  • A summer performance designation does not mean a tire will not grip very well on a wet roadway. In fact some tires in this class grip exceptionally well on wet surfaces. The tread pattern is often the reason a hard-compound tire grips well “in the wet.”

• Summer performance tires generally have a “harder” compound-makeup. This allows the tire to run more consistently over a wide range of varying speeds. In other words, when the tire’s compound heats during high speed driving or aggressive cornering, the tire’s handling characteristics remains consistent.

• Since a summer performance tire is designed to work well on various roadways under differing conditions (wet or dry), the tires performance is subject to degeneration after seemingly minimal wear. That’s why they don’t last very long before you need to replace these tires.

• All-season tires are very different from summer performance tires. These tires use a softer compound. The softer compound does not equate to faster wear; in fact all-season tires usually last longer than summer performance tires. And, all-season tire usually cost less than summer performance tires.

• All-season tires generally run more quietly and more comfortably than summer performance tires. The reason is simply because summer performance tires use much harder compounds.
In Summary:
  • If your driving style is aggressive and you don’t care about replacement expense, a summer performance tire is your best choice.

• If you prefer a more comfortable ride and want a more economical setup, all-season tires are the way to go.

Hope this helps,

--Spike
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Romeo510

Thanks for the link... I looked at most of the reviews. I'll just have to decide and choose the right ones for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Romeo510

Thanks Spike, Yeh I'm going to stick with the All Season performance tires. I'll keep the ones I have right now as well, so I can change it up n put the Summer performance during summer time and then change back to the all seasons during the winter and rain season.

- Vj