Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Traction/VDC HELP!!! SLIP LIGHT!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 AM
ffwturboZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
This isn't a "code" kinda thing. It's a "condition" that causes a temporary indicator to appear on the dash.
Ok, so if Im reading this right, I have to change tires size to correct the problem. If not changed or corrected, the VDC/SLIP light on will affect performence. This realy sucks. I have over 4G's worth in wheels and tires. There has to be another solution to this.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, every time you get in the car you can press the VDC off button. That stops the problem, but also removes the safety net.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
ffwturboZ

Well, every time you get in the car you can press the VDC off button. That stops the problem, but also removes the safety net.
I did press on the VDC off, but its still on on the display panel. I did change the oil in the tranny. Will this trip the VDC also?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

If you press VDC off, then the VDC light on the dash will come on. Do you have another light still coming on?

Trans has nothing to do with VDC
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ffwturboZ
I did press on the VDC off, but its still on on the display panel. I did change the oil in the tranny. Will this trip the VDC also?
The VDC light illuminated means that it is turned off. Your issues should go away, but properly-sized tires would be the correct fix (either shorter in the front or taller in the rear).

Tranny oil is independent of this condition.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos8183
ok thank you for your help.
i wanted to make sure the car acts like that when then vdc takes over.

another question im getting a new set of tires since they have very little thread left on them. and the front drives is really used on the inside thats called feathering right?

is that fixed with an alignment?
Hi Carlos,

It appears that your VDC-problem is worn tires and not tire size (you are running the correct tire sizes).

About your question: “another question im getting a new set of tires since they have very little thread left on them. and the front drives is really used on the inside thats called feathering right? is that fixed with an alignment?”

Here’s the deal on “feathering” (and, there has been way too much misinformation about “feathering” and the 350z.):
  • Whether you call it “feathering,” “cupping,” or irregular wear; this is a common problem on high-powered light-weight sport cars running summer performance tires. That problem happens with the 350z, Porsche’s, Corvette’s, and even the ”exotics.”

• Summer performance tires are designed to run fast and hot. If you just drive around on these on the street at normal speed-limits, the tire remains fairly hard, never heats to optimum softness, and it wears quickly. That situation is exasperated when the psi isn’t right-on or the alignment is off just a little.

• You can mitigate wear problems by carefully maintaining optimum alignment and adjusting camber and toe, but even the most vigilant owner may experience wear problems with summer performance tires. Various suspension setups, wheel and tire sizes, summer performance tire brands and designs, and a plethora of other factors can come together and destroy your tire’s tread quickly. It’s the price you pay for running a racing tire on a high-performance car.
You get the best results by maintaining alignment and running a high quality summer performance tire (examples: Michelin PS2 or Continental Extreme Contact DW).

If you can live with slightly less handling features and want much better wear and longevity, go with an A/S performance tire (example: Continental Extreme Contact DWS).

--Spike
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Carlos8183

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hi Carlos,

It appears that your VDC-problem is worn tires and not tire size (you are running the correct tire sizes).

About your question: “another question im getting a new set of tires since they have very little thread left on them. and the front drives is really used on the inside thats called feathering right? is that fixed with an alignment?”

Here’s the deal on “feathering” (and, there has been way too much misinformation about “feathering” and the 350z.):
  • Whether you call it “feathering,” “cupping,” or irregular wear; this is a common problem on high-powered light-weight sport cars running summer performance tires. That problem happens with the 350z, Porsche’s, Corvette’s, and even the ”exotics.”

• Summer performance tires are designed to run fast and hot. If you just drive around on these on the street at normal speed-limits, the tire remains fairly hard, never heats to optimum softness, and it wears quickly. That situation is exasperated when the psi isn’t right-on or the alignment is off just a little.

• You can mitigate wear problems by carefully maintaining optimum alignment and adjusting camber and toe, but even the most vigilant owner may experience wear problems with summer performance tires. Various suspension setups, wheel and tire sizes, summer performance tire brands and designs, and a plethora of other factors can come together and destroy your tire’s tread quickly. It’s the price you pay for running a racing tire on a high-performance car.
You get the best results by maintaining alignment and running a high quality summer performance tire (examples: Michelin PS2 or Continental Extreme Contact DW).

If you can live with slightly less handling features and want much better wear and longevity, go with an A/S performance tire (example: Continental Extreme Contact DWS).

--Spike
Spike thanks your the best.

OP sorry for using your thread
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 AM
ffwturboZ

If you press VDC off, then the VDC light on the dash will come on. Do you have another light still coming on?

Trans has nothing to do with VDC
The only other light that has been on since I bought the car is the CEL. The SLIP light is on with the VDC.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 AM
ffwturboZ

Originally Posted by scotts300
The VDC light illuminated means that it is turned off. Your issues should go away, but properly-sized tires would be the correct fix (either shorter in the front or taller in the rear).

Tranny oil is independent of this condition.
My only concern is if this VDC/ SLIP light will affect performance. If its just a warning light saying that I have different size tires then I can deal with it.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Spike100

My only concern is if this VDC/ SLIP light will affect performance. If its just a warning light saying that I have different size tires then I can deal with it.
Yes and No… But, it’s a warning that you have a problem. If you are deviating from the recommended tire sizes, you will see the SLIP light on your dash. If you have the correct tire sizes and see the SLIP light, you have overly worn tires. Be aware that seeing the SLIP light indicates a problem that you need to solve. VDC is a safety feature that warns you about problems that could lead to unsafe operation.

You are definitely missing the points that davidv, DavesZ#3, and scotts300 explain to you.

You are sounding very much like a very “hard case.” Reading your replies, I don’t think you understand this at its most elemental level. Your Owner’s Manual explains all of this. Read your Owner’s Manual.

If you choose to ignore the input you are getting from your VDC-equipped car, or do not understand what those indicators mean; you may end up as one of those “Help… I wrecked my Z stories.”

--Spike
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always happy to help. If you have other questions please do not hesitate to waste my time.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by davidv
Always happy to help. If you have other questions please do not hesitate to waste my time.
^^

Ffwturbo’s statement:
Ok, so whats the fix? I have the same issue. Can the light be reset? If so what about us with FI and aftermarket ECU?
Your question to Ffwturbo:
Originally Posted by davidv
What size tires are you running front and rear?
Ffwturbo’s reply that answers your question:
Ok thanks. I guess Ill have to deal with it. I have 265/30/19 in the rear and 245/35/19 in the front. Just wanted to know if there was a way to erase the code. The only reason I mentioned aftermaket ECU is to know if the codes can be reset with the ECU.
You asked a question, and he answered it.

So what’s with the adolescent-like begging for a compliment or a “thank you”? Did you want him to say: “Thank you David?”

I don’t get your last msg. here. I apologize if I am missing your point.

--Spike
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 AM
ffwturboZ

^^

Ffwturbo’s statement:

So what’s with the adolescent-like begging for a compliment or a “thank you”? Did you want him to say: “Thank you David?”

--Spike
While I do appreciate everyones help and information, I wasnt aware I needed to put people on a peddestal. If I sounded to cold then I apologize but thats my personality. As you can tell I am new to the 350z world but not a 18 year old kid that just got his first toy. I asked questions bc I wasnt clear, if thats too much then what are these sites for. I dont want to turn this into a pissing contest, so I do appreciate the input. I will be running the car as is and learn the hard way.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

--Spike
There's nothing to get. He asked a question, not provided any "help". To expect a thank you is totally pointless. The only point is the one top his head.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM
ffwturboZ

There's nothing to get. He asked a question, not provided any "help". To expect a thank you is totally pointless. The only point is the one top his head.
Wow.... I feel like Im back in middle school. But if it makes anyone feel better I did say thanks at least once in my replys. I hope moderators delete these posts and make it productive for others... Im done here.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Spike100

Wow.... I feel like Im back in middle school. But if it makes anyone feel better I did say thanks at least once in my replys. I hope moderators delete these posts and make it productive for others... Im done here.
Hold on, we’re not done with you yet. (And… please don’t get all-bent out of shape. I’m only messing with you.). Apparently you didn’t get my comment to David. David has a very subtle sense of humor. I was only needling him. I’m sure he caught my humor, and I expect payback from him when I make my next incorrect posting (misinformation, typo, etc.). He usually "bests" me.

But, back to your situation…
Ok thanks. I guess Ill have to deal with it. I have 265/30/19 in the rear and 245/35/19 in the front. Just wanted to know if there was a way to erase the code. The only reason I mentioned aftermaket ECU is to know if the codes can be reset with the ECU.
Ok, so if Im reading this right, I have to change tires size to correct the problem. If not changed or corrected, the VDC/SLIP light on will affect performence. This realy sucks. I have over 4G's worth in wheels and tires. There has to be another solution to this.
As others state, you do have a problem (whether or not you realize it) because your back tires are shorter than your front tires (overall diameter of 265/30/19 = 25.25”, and overall diameter 245/35/19 = 25.75”). The fix is mounting correctly sized tires. I realize that is not an attractive option for you.

You asked: “If not changed or corrected, the VDC/SLIP light on will affect performence.”

The answer is: Yes, it will affect performance. If your Z has VDC or TCS, and your rears are shorter than your fronts, you will experience a loss of acceleration. The effect is subtle, but it’s there. I know this from personal experience.

Here is what happened in my case. I have a VDC-equipped Z. My tire shop mistakenly reversed front and rear tires when remounting my summer wheel/tire setup (I removed the indicator bolt to allow running aftermarket wheels in my winter wheel/tire setup). I drove around for about an hour. I felt something wasn’t right because the car seemed to lack full-acceleration. It wasn’t until I looked at the tire’s sidewall that I was able to confirm the error.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike

BTW: My information is elemental and I rate it at “middle school level.” So you are correct in your assessment of my comments.

The moderators here (DavesZ#3 and scotts300) and knowledgeable members (like terrasmak) have experience on the track and provide college-level advice.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^

Ffwturbo’s statement:

--Spike
My comment is for MB350zz.

MB350zz opens a thread on 07/ 27.
No comment from MB350zz by 08/11. Not a simple thanks or OK guys or nothing. That is rude. I add rude members to my ignore list.

I have my standards of acceptable behaviour. You have yours.

Last edited by davidv; 08-14-2010 at 01:50 PM.