Blew Radiator Today - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blew Radiator Today

Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Harbison

Default Blew Radiator Today

2005 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe 113K Automatic

Today the upper tank of the radiator split from one side to the other. Owned the car since February. Never overheated but fans have always been loud. Only drove it about 5 miles before radiator upper tank blew. Seems like a lot of pressure on upper tank. Should have popped cap as well as flowing back to the overflow tank. Obviously, I'll have to replace radiator and problably the thermostat too. May need to check fans. Saw on the forum that Nissan had some problems with the radiator fans. Any recommendations? Want to find answers and not just replace parts. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Welcome- there's probably no link between the radiator fans and the radiator blowing. In fact, the loud fan noise is probably a sign that the high-speed fans (for max cooling) are fully operational. If you want answers, start by doing a scan for codes from the ECM or BCM systems. That might lead to clues if anything is wrong as you replace the radiator.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 AM
khnitz

Also, for more background on your setup: does your Z have any engine or body modifications (turbo, intake, front bumper/spoiler, etc.) that can help others understand their similar situation in the future?

You said you've owned it since February - were you able to get any history from the previous owner that might help understand why this happened? Was it tracked often, etc.? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Harbison

No modifications, all stock. I don't have specific history from previous owner. She was a middle-aged woman so I don't believe it was ever tracked. No signs of abuse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harbison For This Useful Post:
khnitz (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Harbison View Post
No modifications, all stock. I don't have specific history from previous owner. She was a middle-aged woman so I don't believe it was ever tracked. No signs of abuse.
Just a note- taking a Z to the track is not a sign of abuse. More like the Z's natural environment!

Back OT- as suggested, have you used the Z's diagnostic system to pull any codes? A good code reader is almost as essential as a 10 mm wrench on these cars.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Cracka350

Harbison
Had the exact same problem in the Spring. The OEM's are plastic, they're old and they fail. I got this one off of ebay. I'm almost positive that the one mishimoto sells is the same unit with their logo sprayed on. Spend the hundred bucks and swap this in. It's aluminum and larger so it'll last the life of the car with better performance.

Radiator

The Following User Says Thank You to Cracka350 For This Useful Post:
khnitz (10-12-2018)
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
icer5160

+ 1 for plastic being the culprit.

It's not a matter of *if* the plastic portion of the OEM radiator will fail, it's a matter of *when* (Age, climate, driving habits, and mileage will doubtless affect the when). A solid aluminum rad is a good option when it finally happens.
-Icer
Old Today, 03:49 AM
khnitz

This aluminum radiator will be a must-do swap as part of a water pump replacement on mine (2005 with 125k miles), or otherwise when the radiator fails (if it goes first). Thanks for posting!