Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
ljag89l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the z dude its always the better choice!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 PM
eddiebrock71

Just a simple engine comparison:
1. V8 LS motor has more horsepower.
2. LS motor will achieve more hp gains with simple bolt ons like headers and exhaust. HR motor is a V6, it is Japanese and finely tuned, more expensive to get less HP gains.
3. Whatever bolt on parts for power adders you will achieve more gains on the LS motor for less.
4. You will have more HP bolt on options for the Camaro.
Suspension comparison:
1. 370Z indepent suspension vs. Camaro non independent suspension. Better handling with 370.

since you are not into the Mustang, you will miss out one of the most Mod friendly aftermarket.

I am not ******* any car company. I have had 2002 Camaro SS, 98 Mustang GT, 2004 G35 sedan, 2005 G35 Coupe Sport, and 2008 350z. Out of all the cars the Mustang was the easiset and most modifidable vehicle. I had a Kenny Brown conversion on the mustang with IRS, and none of the other cars came close to the handling of the Mustang. And I still could have improved the handling with KB coilover, relocating K-member, and tubular front and rear a arms, reducing the weight of the vehicle.

I only wish Kenny Brown made parts for the Z.

No matter what car you buy, you need to learn to respect it, and know what it can do.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called staying in B-Stock noob. Do you really race in SCCA? If you did you would have known that.

PS, and poor reliability ratings over the past many years is one of the biggest reasons why GM sales have dropped and Toyota has passed them.

Originally Posted by polycarp1
Talk about inadequacy! Your arrogance and ignorance are truly deafening. You can't deal with facts, so you throw out old, tiresome stereotypes, telling him to go away, or in this case, a pure ignorance about GM's dilemma. For somebody who seems like he's never driven a C6/ZO6, you should not be criticizing what you don't know. Btw, I also race in SCCA, what does being a member of it got to your ignorance about modding w/in the limits of the rules; you seem like a newie in SCCA?

The three main reasons why GM is having financial difficulties are their outdated financial-drain called the union, too much reliance on SUVs and truck for revenue instead of having the foresight to invest in econo-compacts like the Japanese, and over-all our economy. Comparing GM's 1990's quality to 2008's is indicative of your lack of knowledge, as much as you comparing a lower-tier Japanese manuf to 2008 GM; very adolescent.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by eddiebrock71
2. LS motor will achieve more hp gains with simple bolt ons like headers and exhaust. HR motor is a V6, it is Japanese and finely tuned, more expensive to get less HP gains.
3. Whatever bolt on parts for power adders you will achieve more gains on the LS motor for less.
Suspension comparison:
1. 370Z indepent suspension vs. Camaro non independent suspension. Better handling with 370.

since you are not into the Mustang, you will miss out one of the most Mod friendly aftermarket.

I am not ******* any car company. I have had 2002 Camaro SS, 98 Mustang GT, 2004 G35 sedan, 2005 G35 Coupe Sport, and 2008 350z. Out of all the cars the Mustang was the easiset and most modifidable vehicle. I had a Kenny Brown conversion on the mustang with IRS, and none of the other cars came close to the handling of the Mustang. And I still could have improved the handling with KB coilover, relocating K-member, and tubular front and rear a arms, reducing the weight of the vehicle.

No matter what car you buy, you need to learn to respect it, and know what it can do.
Apples to apples.... I have driven a KB equipped Stang when I was hanging around the Stang guys. The KB tuned Stang barely handles as well as a 350Z; not better....barely hangs.... Not sure what you are talking about. Equally equip the Z and the Stang gets left in the dust. ....
Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Chevrolet Camaro convertible on hold

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/13/c...027x1200875078

We weren't surprised when Chrysler decided to nix plans for a Dodge Challenger convertible. The LX-based coupe wasn't developed with a drop-top variant in mind and it would've taken far too much cash to shore up the chassis with the roof removed. And if you hadn't heard, Chrysler isn't doing too well in the cash department.

Now, MotorTrend is reporting that General Motors is delaying the launch of the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible for the same reason, putting off the introduction for another year as the General attempts to keep its head above these financially troubled waters. Spending on such extravagances is hard to justify for both GM and consumers, and if the Federal bailout goes through, it's safe to assume that legislators and <STRIKE>the public</STRIKE> us would have hard time seeing our tax dollars being used to sell a niche vehicle.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
TheStig

Suspension comparison:

The new Camaro has a 4.5 link fully independent rear suspension....

Sorry dude.

Although, the Z will still take it in the handling category. Period.

Here are some pics just in case you dont believe me...

Last edited by TheStig; 11-17-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM
redline2009

hahaha, this thread is hilarious! thanks to everyone for their opinions and what not. i understand it's a big jump in power and all, but i'm fairly confident of my skills. everyone's worried about crashing on the road, but i really only intend on taking whichever car to the nearby drag-strip which i'm already taking the 'Toaster'. i've ran a 10.84 on the 1/8th mile incase you were wondering, beating a 2002 V6 Mustang! haha, the arguments in this thread are hilarious! i have to agree with ZZTop and whoever the guy is who's arguing with him, just stop. really, just stop.. you lost. 332 horsepower is COMPARTIVELY low on power COMPARED to the 422 HORSPOWER LS3!! the Camaro SS has been tested by GM at 13.3 in the automatic on the 1/4 mile and the manual was slower at 13.4. I'm really leaning towards the 370Z, but who knows, i may change my mind when i test drive them!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by redline2009
hahaha, this thread is hilarious! thanks to everyone for their opinions and what not. i understand it's a big jump in power and all, but i'm fairly confident of my skills. everyone's worried about crashing on the road, but i really only intend on taking whichever car to the nearby drag-strip which i'm already taking the 'Toaster'. i've ran a 10.84 on the 1/8th mile incase you were wondering, beating a 2002 V6 Mustang! haha, the arguments in this thread are hilarious! i have to agree with ZZTop and whoever the guy is who's arguing with him, just stop. really, just stop.. you lost. 332 horsepower is COMPARTIVELY low on power COMPARED to the 422 HORSPOWER LS3!! the Camaro SS has been tested by GM at 13.3 in the automatic on the 1/4 mile and the manual was slower at 13.4. I'm really leaning towards the 370Z, but who knows, i may change my mind when i test drive them!
Honestly, I would lean towards the 370z due to the fact that the built quality and reliability is superior than the Camaro. Not only that, just by looking at the interior of the 370z would just steer me away from the Camaro. I understand that the pure power of the new SS, but power is not everything. If power is what you are looking for, then by all mean get the camaro. If you're looking at an all around car, then 370z will win hands down.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
ParkStr8

I will step in and make one observation outside of HP/Tq, weight ratios, etc...

I personally NEVER buy the first model year of any car. Period. The Z might have been an exception as the enigne and powertrain are already in use and proven reliable, but I have an 08 G35S Sedan.

With GM's problems of late...I would not trust a 1st gen, 1st model run regardless of how great the design and car may or may not be. GM layoffs aside...i can't help but think moral is low on the build floor...even for a stunner like the Camaro.

Nissan on the other hand continues to show profit.

If I had to choose based on build quality...I wish I could say i'd buy American. And after my recent 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 fiasco...Japan would win. I just don't exactly put my trust in our auto build quality at the moment. Perhaps some day...

Last edited by ParkStr8; 11-17-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Smokin370Z

Originally Posted by TongMan
18 with a sports car...bad combo!! too many rich kids these days...no matter how fast your car is, a tree will always kick your ***.
Look what happened to hogan's son. What a dooche bag he was for doing that.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM
stylett9

I live in Southern California where spoiled kids with cars that are too nice for their own good is a dime a dozen so i won't touch that with you.

Just do me a favor and don't kill an inocent person. I could careless what you do with yourself.

Oh and btw, i don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Personally i've been wanting an american muscle car so i'd probably chose the camaro.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
HoustnZ

Chevrolet sux.
You GM fans can rant all you want to. Bottom line is GM created their own problems and for more reasons than one. Funny how little old Nissan is doing just fine now a days.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
350tarheelz

Default Cavalier to SC400 to 350Z

Originally Posted by Entaille
I don't support a spoiled kid driving a high power rwd car. you should really keep driving weaker cars until 21+ at least. you think you have the driving expierience but it's a whole different ball game.

.. but in the end you are going to do it anyways, because you can, and the offer is there and the temptation is too much to resist.
Just my opinion on this...I have ALWAYS been interested in fast sports cars. My dad wouldn't let me get a sports car as my first car....not that we could have afforded it anyway. My first car was a Cavalier when I was in a junior and it was perfect...I beat the living sh*t out of it and it held up like a champ. Most importantly, I survied. After high school I was looking at a fast car but then figured since I was still in college I wanted something that was very reliable. In 2004, I bought a 95 Lexus SC400 with next to no miles on it and it was also perfect....enjoyed the speed increase from the 45 horsepower Cavalier to the 250 Horsepower SC400. I recently decided that I do need a little more speed and am going to get a 2007 350Z in January/February at the latest. Took a 2006 for a test drive a little bit ago and if you cant appreciate the difference between a Scion and a 350Z then you are bound to get yourself in trouble.

Numbers are all relative...go ahead and drive a smooth running lexus LS460 or something and then a sportier car with very similiar 0-60 times and you will realize what really matters to you.

Good luck on whatever ya do
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
350tarheelz

Okay I guess I forgot to answer the original question...
I am not going to offer my opinion between the 2 cars becauase either way you are going to have one hellllll of a time in either car, especially since you are used to your Scion. Just don't crash. Thanks haha
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM
zsport1

I like the exterior design of the Camaro but don't know that I am a fan of the interior. IMO, the Camaro and 370Z are really two different kinds of cars and they each bring in their own fan base. So IMO they don't really compete with eachother.
Bottom line for me, I won't purchase a GM product. Especially with the state the company is in.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Hypnoz

Here is how it is going to go down;

The Camaro and 370z will have similar speed stock vs stock. The Z will have a strong advantage in the handling department. Looks are subjective but the interior of the Z will be better than the Camaro, and have more technology. The LS3 will be much better for modding for hp/price. The Z will likely be cheaper as well if it starts at the rumored $29,900. Z gets better gas mileage (who gives a crap, you are buying a high performance automobile!)

But for most people, it will come down to looks. Which fits you better?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
redline2009

Originally Posted by 350tarheelz
Just my opinion on this...I have ALWAYS been interested in fast sports cars. My dad wouldn't let me get a sports car as my first car....not that we could have afforded it anyway. My first car was a Cavalier when I was in a junior and it was perfect...I beat the living sh*t out of it and it held up like a champ. Most importantly, I survied. After high school I was looking at a fast car but then figured since I was still in college I wanted something that was very reliable. In 2004, I bought a 95 Lexus SC400 with next to no miles on it and it was also perfect....enjoyed the speed increase from the 45 horsepower Cavalier to the 250 Horsepower SC400. I recently decided that I do need a little more speed and am going to get a 2007 350Z in January/February at the latest. Took a 2006 for a test drive a little bit ago and if you cant appreciate the difference between a Scion and a 350Z then you are bound to get yourself in trouble.

Numbers are all relative...go ahead and drive a smooth running lexus LS460 or something and then a sportier car with very similiar 0-60 times and you will realize what really matters to you.

Good luck on whatever ya do
Now this is a thread! Nice and humble people who can express their opinions without shitting their pants cuz someone else doesn't agree! I am really leaning towards the 370Z just cuz idk! the camaro looks nice, and i disagree with all of you on the interior, it is real nice to me! buuuut, the 370Z is just that much nicer! It's smoother(design), lighter, shorter, most likely easier to drive and i love the european-like burble! the camaro is just pure muscle car though! the power makes up for any difference between them, much like the ZR-1 vs. GT-R! Z has better handling, almost as good speed, but the camaro's power and not-to-shabby handling itself most likely will beat the Z anywhere except on a nice-sized track with more turns than straightaways like Laguna Seca. I really like the 370Z and until i can test-drive them, it's gonna be The One! in the meantime, i'm getting a 80s model Pontiac Trans Am for free! it doesn't work so its gonna be a fixer-upper so i'm gonna gain experience in it and getting used to the huge car will make the camaro or Z fairly easy for me to drive! what do you think?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:37 PM
eddiebrock71

Remember you can buy a 2-3 year old Z06 Corvette, and have the power and handling. but you may like the build quality of the Z better.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
whoady4shoady

Remember you can buy a 2-3 year old Z06 Corvette, and have the power and handling. but you may like the build quality of the Z better.
Yeah, but some people like myself want a nice car with a nice warranty.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
350tarheelz

Originally Posted by zed-er
What's the rush to get either a Z or an SS, anyway? You're 18 with your whole life ahead of you. If you buy a nice car now, you'll end up parking it in the student parking lot at university, subjecting the car to all manner of door dings, fender benders and drunken frat brothers barfing in it. You'll just get even more pissed off. I say keep the Scion for college and let it get thrashed.
zed-er
Ya i totally agree....find me a mint condition car that has been parked in a college setting for more than 1/2 a semester and I'll find you a car that has been the the body shop countless times.

My car was in PERFECT shape before I went away to college..University of North Carolina. Go heels Now with a huge as$ dent in the bumper, a door that needs to be replaced and scratches galore I offer the same advice. The only way to keep a car in really good shape anywhere near a college campus is to......umm build a steel box around it?

Quick Reply: My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS