Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:53 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FACT:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=130809

ENGLISHTOWN, New Jersey — Following the official introduction of the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey, we conducted our own independent testing of the 425-horsepower coupe, now available with a six-speed manual transmission for the new model year.

This is the very first chance to test the performance of Chrysler's new muscle car with the combination of the SRT 6.1-liter Hemi V8 and the Tremec six-speed manual transmission. The data includes 0-60-mph acceleration, quarter-mile performance, braking distance and slalom speed, as well as insight from IL's test driver.

SeaBass =

You need to learn to read.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
FACT CHALLENGER TESTED IN VIDEO SHIFTED GEARS IN 1/4 VIDEO ABOVE. Are you that dense? Do you refuse to look at the video?

You are the one spewing bs when the video is above posted proving you are wrong. Why you keep trying to ignore it douchebag?

Hey, you forgot to call him a "troll." Isn't that your usual pattern? Once you've been proven wrong by someone you call them a "douchebag" and a "troll?"
Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 PM
ART_

Hello:

My name is redline2009, I don't have any money, and I don't really know anything about cars, but wouldn't be awesome to post a threat were people could fight about what car I WILL NEVER BUY!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Sea Bass

FACT:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=130809

ENGLISHTOWN, New Jersey — Following the official introduction of the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey, we conducted our own independent testing of the 425-horsepower coupe, now available with a six-speed manual transmission for the new model year.

This is the very first chance to test the performance of Chrysler's new muscle car with the combination of the SRT 6.1-liter Hemi V8 and the Tremec six-speed manual transmission. The data includes 0-60-mph acceleration, quarter-mile performance, braking distance and slalom speed, as well as insight from IL's test driver.

SeaBass =

You need to learn to read.
You need to learn to grow up. You provided the video, I watched it, and commented based on it. Only now are you providing this link that specifically mentions what the video did not.

By the way, about the reading comprehension thing.... what else does it say in that article, hmm?

Originally Posted by Edmunds article that you provided
The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with its 425-hp 6.1-liter V8 and six-speed manual transmission accelerated to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout), then reached the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 103.0 mph. This compares to the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with its five-speed automatic that achieved 60 mph in 5.1 seconds (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout) and completed the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds at 107.5 mph.

We're surprised that the 2008 Challenger SRT8 with its automatic transmission has the edge in speed here, but we were slightly suspicious at the time that it had an unusually healthy engine. In comparison, the engine of this 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with its manual transmission seemed slightly sick during our testing. In the end, we're still left with some questions about the comparative performance of automatic and manual transmissions in this car.
So, the automatic went 13.2 in the quarter? That would suggest a car with similar power but 350 lbs less weight (i.e. the Camaro SS) should run in the high 12s. Edmunds themselves aren't too certain why the auto performed that much better than the stick, but they themselves commented that they were left with an impression that the stick car was "sick." (pretty weak explanation by them, they should have looked further into it).

Do us all a favour and just stick to praising Nissans without getting into any debates about anything else. You don't have the mental capacity for a rational, mature discussion.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

*Flings a green slimy doodie at Sea BAss*
Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Grow up? You are the one that can't read, or review a video! Your the one that said no manuals were available when they are! The link was there also posted above another user did to the Edmunds article. You can't tell me you couldn't tell by the 1/4 run they were shifting?! It was pretty obvious since it was a SLOW 1-2 shift with wheel spin.

You got owned, now you are back peddling. Funny!

You are still ignoring the facts:

The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with its 425-hp 6.1-liter V8 and six-speed manual transmission accelerated to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout), then reached the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 103.0 mph.

You said because of the slow time it was a automatic. Admit you were wrong.

Originally Posted by Sea Bass
You need to learn to grow up. You provided the video, I watched it, and commented based on it. Only now are you providing this link that specifically mentions what the video did not.

By the way, about the reading comprehension thing.... what else does it say in that article, hmm?

So, the automatic went 13.2 in the quarter? That would suggest a car with similar power but 350 lbs less weight (i.e. the Camaro SS) should run in the high 12s. Edmunds themselves aren't too certain why the auto performed that much better than the stick, but they themselves commented that they were left with an impression that the stick car was "sick." (pretty weak explanation by them, they should have looked further into it).

Do us all a favour and just stick to praising Nissans without getting into any debates about anything else. You don't have the mental capacity for a rational, mature discussion.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
X2
Old 11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
I lub j00.
*leaves skid marks in Hraes' toilet bowl*

Grow up? You are the one that can't read, or review a video! Your the one that said no manuals were available when they are! The link was there also posted above another user did to the Edmunds article. You can't tell me you couldn't tell by the 1/4 run they were shifting?! It was pretty obvious since it was a SLOW 1-2 shift with wheel spin.
I said no manuals were available, did I? Oh, you mean this quote?
Originally Posted by Sea Bass
The first year run of Challengers were automatic only.

You are still ignoring the facts:

The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with its 425-hp 6.1-liter V8 and six-speed manual transmission accelerated to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout), then reached the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 103.0 mph.
You said because of the slow time it was a automatic. Admit you were wrong.
I didn't ignore any facts. I discussed everything you brought up.
I never said the time was slow because of an automatic.
You did say the Camaro would lose in a straight line to a 370Z. You also said it wouldn't run in the 12s due to your evidence from the Challenger. My statements remain the same, there is nothing for me to change about that. And what about the part that the auto ran a 13.2? I see you still refuse to acknowledge that.

You've already been all over the map in this thread, I think we know who cannot maintain a position, nor admit to when being proven wrong. I made my point.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 11-15-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM
teh_ginger

Damn! There are so many fukin Kool-Aid drinkers in this thread it's ridiculous...
Old 11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
FineWine

You guys are silly:

a.) 6 speed wasn't available untill 2009.
b.) LS1's can run 12's stock, so LS3's BETTER be able to.

and most importantly:

d.) this is my350z, so who cares about who's the expert on Challengers. Take that to mycarpissfight.com
Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
RedBeauty84ZX

Originally Posted by ZZtopp
Try leaping into the 21st century.
I live in a time when GM is seen as having had DECADES of poorly designed interiors.
I live in a time when GM is seen as having had DECADES of poor fit and finish compared to its competitors.
I live in a time when GM is going bankrupt because of poor financial decisions over the last few DECADES.
I live in a time where I have personally experienced DECADES of GM products and been THOUROUGHLY unimpressed when compared to its competitors.
I live in a time where GM is a joke among automotive journalists when it comes to overall quality of their vehicles.

I live in the 21st century...what time do you live in?

Maybe be you should read some of the rave reviews already given to the V6 Camaro by the mags....and they haven't even driven the SS yet.
I have and its exactly what I expected. A slow and over weight Chevrolet trying to rekindle a once loved American Icon. Problem is the same with all V6 Camaros, its slow as dog ****. Its nearly 2009 and All GM could muster from their 304HP Camaro is a 14.4?! Good god my neighbors Armada nearly runs those times. Even 13s are slow now days. But thats not what kills the Camaro for me, what kills it is the ergonomics,fit and finish, and the way it drives. The damn things interior looks WORSE then the previous Fbodys interior...is disgusting!:

Notice I said looks. I'm sure its better quality then what GM had stuffed in their in the past...it has to be as they have gotten enormous criticism over the past 10 years about interior fit and finish on their cars. But i've been in the new Tahoe, the new Cobalts, a C6, a new Malibu, etc. all of their interiors FAIL in when next to their foreign competitors. Like I said i'm going to be litterally BLOWN AWAY if the Camaros interior is nicer then the 370Zs especially after seeing pics of the Camaros and 370Zs now...no comparison.
I'm no fan of the the old F bodies, but this is an all new car and if you think Nissan is always going to be the best thing since sliced bread, then put on the blinders and have a nice life, fan boy.
Best at what? Nissan probably isnt the best at anything, their Infiniti luxury brand tops them in most all aspects alone and Infiniti continues to try and reach BMW status. I do enjoy Nissans though, been around them for a decade and owned many. Sure i'm biased...but we all are one way or another.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Abishop

i say camaro, the new Z is ugly as hell!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM
RedBeauty84ZX

Originally Posted by FineWine
b.) LS1's can run 12's stock, so LS3's BETTER be able to.
A true stock LS1 fbody runs 12s as common as a truly stock 350Z runs a 13.1. Usually a good run in a stock one ends up in the low 13s. Sure the new Camaros will run 12s stock, but i'd be suprised given their power to weight if they can do better then a mid-high 12.....and thats just not impressive. the LS3 Vettes with a little more power and 600+lbs less weight are having a hard time hitting the high 11s...add 600lbs to them and they'll be stuck in the high 12s.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

LS1s weighed around 3300-3400 lb. Some as low as 3180 for the base z28. The Camaro weighs 3800 lb with a LS3. I would be real surprised to see it get lower than a 13 sec time. A stock LS1 dynoed around 280-290 to the wheels. That is around 350 hp to the crank. 420 hp is only a 70 hp gain but it gained 400-500 lb or even 700 lb over a base Z28.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 11-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Z You Later

i say /thread
Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 PM
HyperKnight
Stulax makes me cream

Received 631 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Z You Later
i say /thread
I say.....

*flings a paper towel filled with doodoo crumbs at Z You Later*
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 AM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
I live in a time when GM is seen as having had DECADES of poorly designed interiors.
I live in a time when GM is seen as having had DECADES of poor fit and finish compared to its competitors.
I live in a time when GM is going bankrupt because of poor financial decisions over the last few DECADES.
I live in a time where I have personally experienced DECADES of GM products and been THOUROUGHLY unimpressed when compared to its competitors.
I live in a time where GM is a joke among automotive journalists when it comes to overall quality of their vehicles.

I live in the 21st century...what time do you live in?

I have and its exactly what I expected. A slow and over weight Chevrolet trying to rekindle a once loved American Icon. Problem is the same with all V6 Camaros, its slow as dog ****. Its nearly 2009 and All GM could muster from their 304HP Camaro is a 14.4?! Good god my neighbors Armada nearly runs those times. Even 13s are slow now days. But thats not what kills the Camaro for me, what kills it is the ergonomics,fit and finish, and the way it drives. The damn things interior looks WORSE then the previous Fbodys interior...is disgusting!:

Notice I said looks. I'm sure its better quality then what GM had stuffed in their in the past...it has to be as they have gotten enormous criticism over the past 10 years about interior fit and finish on their cars. But i've been in the new Tahoe, the new Cobalts, a C6, a new Malibu, etc. all of their interiors FAIL in when next to their foreign competitors. Like I said i'm going to be litterally BLOWN AWAY if the Camaros interior is nicer then the 370Zs especially after seeing pics of the Camaros and 370Zs now...no comparison.

Best at what? Nissan probably isnt the best at anything, their Infiniti luxury brand tops them in most all aspects alone and Infiniti continues to try and reach BMW status. I do enjoy Nissans though, been around them for a decade and owned many. Sure i'm biased...but we all are one way or another.
Read this:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

...and they're talking about the $22K V6 version.. WTF kind of Z could Nissan produce for $22K?

It's funny...you had to post a picture of a cobbled together pre-production interior to make a point......what a joke. I've sat in a new Camaro, and the interior, fit and finish are excellent...far better than any 350Z. I haven't sat in a 370Z yet, so, unlike you, I won't comment on it's quality because I don't know first-hand.

You can rant all you want about GM's past quality issues....no argument there....but their new offerings are first rate....easily the equal or better of Japan's low rent automaker, Nissan.

Now go drink your Koolade and go to bed.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I sat in the new Camaro, and sorry, it sucks ***. Hard plastic everywhere.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

You forgot another setback on the Camaro: Reliability--or lack of it, thereof! Check out
the latest CR for the ratings before you make your decision, IF you haven't made it, yet!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM
HyperKnight
Stulax makes me cream

Received 631 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
You forgot another setback on the Camaro: Reliability--or lack of it, thereof! Check out
the latest CR for the ratings before you make your decision, IF you haven't made it, yet!
Let's see I'll go ahead and go to the future and pick up a copy of the 2010 Consumer Report seeing that the Camaro isn't even out yet.

Quick Reply: My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS